PDA

View Full Version : What has been your best ever bargain...

carole
02-06-2009, 03:46 AM
I picked mine up today, so thought i would share and see how many of you have picked up some good bargains.

I was out shopping at K mart with hubby today, picking up a layby ,i think you call it a lay-away in america,when they had one of those red light specials going, they flash a red light and it is only on for about ten minutes,i heard them mention some xmas trees going cheap.

I have been after a small xmas tree for a while, but have never seen one i really like, well this was the perfect one, it is the right height, 4ft tall, has flashing on and off lights and it even plays ten xmas songs, i love it, it was originally priced at $89.95 and on clearance at $29.95, but i got it for $8.00, i am so delighted, i certainly never intended on buying a xmas tree today, but there you have it.

We turned the lights off and put it on, it looked so pretty, and i think the cats,well my Lexie is the nawtee one who plays with the ornaments, and i have not had one since i have owned her, will not be too inspired to touch, she had a sniff and walked away,

So post your best bargain ever please.:)

davidpizzica
02-06-2009, 04:30 AM
Sis, I love bargain electronics (like vcr's etc.) and I bought myself a DVD recorder which retails for over a $100 retail for $5.35! I don't know if you have these stores in NZ, but I bought it at a Goodwill store which resales used donated merchandise. It works perfectly and I can take my old vcr tapes and preserve them on DVD's It's also a good DVD player. I love it!

finn's mom
02-06-2009, 07:29 AM
I love deals like that. I've had a few that were pretty awesome...I bought a little black dress for about $6 8 or 9 years ago that I can still wear. It was probably a $70 dress. And, I just recently got a $130 dress for about $20.

And, a pair of $150 Diesel jeans I chanced upon at Goodwill a few years ago, and snatched up for $7. I recently took them to a friend's consignment store and she sold them for about $80. Crazy.

moosmom
02-06-2009, 09:37 AM
My cat MooShoo. He was free!!!!:p

RICHARD
02-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Carole,

"UP" here we have Blue Light specials......Ah, a red light special you get in the red light district.;):confused:

NOT THAT I WOULD KNOW!:D

I think the little bargains are the best!

pitc9
02-06-2009, 12:04 PM
My senior prom I went to a re-sale shop (where you take your clothes to be sold and you get the money) and I got kick BUTT dress for $30!
It was black and strapless and it rocked!

Suki Wingy
02-06-2009, 12:12 PM
I got the dress that I wore to Homecoming and Prom for $20. ;)

IRescue452
02-06-2009, 12:19 PM
We don't have any kmarts less than 30 miles away anymore, but I still occasionally go. I've never heard of a red or blue light special. Everytime somebody posts about stores in other states it makes me sad that ours don't do anything cool :(

Anyway, I was at the thrift store the other day and I bought a R2D2 toy toter (toy box on wheels) for $2. I come to find out its worth upwards of $2000. I'm not even a Star Wars fan but I thought it could be worth something. I guess so. Of course mine is missing the top so its worth less than that. But still over $2.

carole
02-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Hey the red light special thing is probably a kiwi thing,we like to do things differently down under lol, I have no idea why they make it a red light special but they only do it in K mart.

My first every shopping experience in k mart was in the United States, we did not even have them here, it was so much fun, i had never seen so many cool things at such good prices, of course my dollar was worth more in the USA ,those were the days, now it is the opposite almost everywhere.

David we do have second hand shops, and one that comes to mind is cash convertors, they sell all sorts of things, from treadmills to jewellery to dvd players etc, but you sure won't pick them up for the price you paid, you certainly got a real bargain indeed.

Great to hear everyone gets some good deals, i often think the price we get them at bargain price is what they really should be.

I picked up an unique heart shaped wire type ornament, i hang it from the beams, it has a wee gold artificial bird in it, and it is wired with crystal type things, and a large crystal hanging in the middle, it was originally on sale at $54.95 at living and giving, which i thought outrageous, as it is not worth that even on sale, i loved it, but would never pay that for it, luckily just after xmas it came down to $15.00 plus 90cents for the birdie,i was expecting them to be all gone, so was pleasantly surprised to see them there and get it .

Marigold2
02-07-2009, 10:52 PM
I would have to say birth control for me and the pets. Helps the planet from A to Z.
So many unwanted children in this world looking for a home and so many animals as well.
I had three kids and raised them, private school, designer cloths, all the sports and lessons they could have. Swimming, Basketball, Baseball, Soccer, Guitar, Girl scouts, Boy scouts, Brownies, Key Club, Ski Club, Acedemic Challange, Exchange student for 6 weeks, my son went to Germany for 6 weeks, tons of birthday parties, sleepovers, playdates, baseball games, thousands of pitchers of Kool-Aid. I was the cookie baking, baby sitting mom who always had extra kids at the dinner table. Three was enough for me. Three for homework help, three in braces, three for baths, home cooked meals every night. Running off to a game or having to drive them here there and everywhere. Because mine spent part of their time in private school I had to drive them. If we would have had more I would not have had the quailty time with each to spend the time with them they needed. To fly a kite together, bake cookies, practice throwing a baseball for an hour. Just a normal day.
As for the animals it's the same thing. You have to have time to spend with them everyday. I try to spend a half an hour with Benny everyday. Somedays I can and somedays not. We also have now 4 cats, a hamster a bird and a rat. I always give them snacks or treats and spend time with each one, but it's hard.

MeLikeyCuuute
02-08-2009, 11:08 PM
I walked into a junk shop, and the owner had a stack of old 30 year old Spiderman comic books. I asked him what he wanted for the stack, and he looked at me, and said, "The whole thing"? I said, "yup".

I about jumped out of my skin when he told me $75.

ChaChing. Ebay, here I come. (When the economy's better). :confused: