PDA

View Full Version : Fire next door tonite..

carole
02-06-2009, 03:40 AM
Gosh i had a wee bit of a scare tonight, was sitting watching America's Top Model with hubby, yes he puts up with it for my sake lol, with all our ranchsliders wide open, as it is hot down under at the moment,and i went outside during the break to pat Ellie, she sits on the chairs in the cat shelter on the verandah, when i suddenly saw heaps of smoke everywhere, i rushed in,not knowing where it was coming from, i honestly thought our carport was on fire.

Anyhow to cut a long story short, it was the boys next door, we have a rental property next to us, with four young lads, who are really nice guys,never bother us with loud music, party's or anything, nice and polite.

They had been happily playing a game of tennis on the front lawn,when the ball went behind a bush which is right in the garden beside the house, spotting a wasp nest, they used a zapper to zap it, and the bush was so dry in went on fire, believe me the bush was on fire and so was the house, hubby and I rushed next door, helping with buckets to put it out, our hose would not reach, one of the young guys had a hose , but it was not doing much, lots of people stopped by to help , even using their water drinking bottles, but there were quite a few just standing there looking on doing nothing.

Anyhow two fire engines arrived, checked it all out, as it was still burning underneath the roof, although it looked like it was all out.

My house smells quite badly of smoke, but i think it will be ok by tomorrow, and the washing will need to be re -washed, but i am so thankful no-one was hurt, and we got it out, i was worried it would spread to our house as well.

My poor kitties knew something was a miss, they were quite frightened, but soon settled down again.

You never know what is going to happen do you? sure gave me a bit of a fright, but thankful all is ok.

I don't think the boys will be using Fly zappers in a hurry again,i guess mr landlord might not be too thrilled.

davidpizzica
02-06-2009, 07:03 AM
Oh Carole! That had to be frightening to see the fire. Property can be replaced, but humans and felines can't be. I'm glad there were no injuries to you or your fur family.

RICHARD
02-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Been there!

I ended up with a garden hose at the front door of the house next door not knowing it the neighbors were inside!

Very scary, indeed!:(:eek:

Taz_Zoee
02-06-2009, 09:08 PM
You are wonderful neighbors!! :D

Reminds me of when I was in high school and was away at cheerleading camp for a week. When I came home I saw the entire front yard (and it's a HUGE front yard area) was completely burned. I asked what the H#LL happened and my mom said someone probably threw a cigarette out the car window and started the fire. A local real estate agent, who has lived out there forever too, happened by and she came up to our house (nobody was home), got our hose and kept the fire from reaching the house until the fire department arrived (its all volunteer out in the boonies). If she hadn't come by who knows what would have happened.

carole
02-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Yes it was a bit too close for my liking, the damage is quite minimal, the guttering is burnt, and the eaves under the house, and the brick is a bit black by the bush, but other than that,not too bad, still will cost a bit, as nothing is cheap these days. Guess they won't be using a fly zapper thing in a hurry again.

Guess they got quite a scare too, poor beggars, they are such a nice bunch of young guys, shame.