PDA

View Full Version : Taz update since his surgery

Taz_Zoee
02-05-2009, 11:23 PM
I took Taz to the vet on Tuesday to get his kidney levels checked since his surgery back in November. He had psuedo-cysts removed from around his kidneys (in case someone didn't know).
Well, they are slightly higher. At least that's what the vet said. Going from 47 to 75 doesn't seem slight to me. But the other was from 3.5 to 4.4 (or something close to that).
Anyway, he has lost a couple pounds since surgery. He is currently only 10.5 lbs. That is very skinny for a cat that weighed a healthy 21.5 lbs about 5 years ago.
So we will continue with the k/d diet. I bought some dry food and he is loving it.......for now. He seems to go in spurts of liking his food. The past couple of weeks he hadn't been eating very well. Then again, neither had Paizly. It was very strange. They both seem to be eating better now, whew!

Karen
02-05-2009, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the update, sounds good!

krazyaboutkatz
02-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the update. Hopefully Taz won't lose any more weight and he'll continue to like his k/d diet.:) I also hope that his kidney levels will remain stable.

Anikaca77
02-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Great update, I hope soon he's back to acting like himself.

lvpets2002
02-06-2009, 09:17 AM
:love: WooHoo thats Great News.. WoW this baby has trimed up.. maybe I had better start eating k/d diet.. :D

Laura's Babies
02-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Great. Hope he continues to improve and put some of his weight back on.

cassiesmom
02-06-2009, 02:47 PM
hum, sounds like 4.4 is Taz' creatinine and 75 is his BUN or blood urea nitrogen ... BUN gives sort of a general overview of kidney function and creatinine is more specific and reflects kidney function over time. I hope they come back down and Taz eats really well!

HUGHUGHUGHUGHUGHUGHUGHUG for Taz, Paizly and Zoee...
elyse

kimlovescats
02-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Hang in there, Taz and keep eating!!! :love:

catmandu
02-06-2009, 05:00 PM
WE HOPE THAT TAZ KEEPS PUTTING WEIGHT ON, AND IS SOON CLOSE TO HIS FORMER FIGHTING WEIGHT AGAIN!!
HAVE YOU TRIED BABY KITTEN FOOD FROM ROYAL CANIN , THATS HELPING MICHAEL THE DREAM CAT AND JUKE JOINT JOSEPH REGAIN THIER FORM.
:love::love::love:

momcat
02-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Prayers continue to be prayed and get well lovies continue to be sent for sweet Taz :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

phesina
02-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Sounds like Taz is in good hands and under good veterinary care. I'm glad to read his update and that both he and Paizly are eating better. Prayers for you all.

Taz_Zoee
02-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Wow, thank you for all the replies! I've been at a seminar the past two days so I wasn't able to check in to PT a million times throughout the day. :eek:
I appreciate all the good comments. :D
Gary, I'd love to feed Taz what ever he wants but with his kidney levels elevating the k/d needs to be his primary diet. :( But I give him treats sometimes...ok, more often than just sometimes. ;) He has also discovered he can go eat Paizly's food if her door is open. Sneaky!!

I will deliver all requested hugs. :D Thanks again!!

kitten645
02-07-2009, 12:17 AM
Yay for Taz! Hobbie freely offers some of his 'fluffiness" to bulk you up! That is quite a difference..half the cat physically but all the kitty personality wise! I hope you continue to do well Tazie...and no pinching Paizly's stash!
Claudia:love:

CultureJunky
02-07-2009, 03:30 AM
Taz, keep eating that yummy dry food so you will become a big cuddly teddy bear once again. I will pray and send good wishes that you will be healthy and happy and that you will keep strong. :love:

Medusa
02-07-2009, 04:55 AM
All in all, it still sounds pretty good. Keep it up, Taz! :)

Taz_Zoee
02-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks everyone. This morning I fed him and he only a little of the dry. Didn't touch the wet. Later I went in there and he was meowing at me to feed him. So I gave him some greenies (which he :love:'s), he wouldn't touch them. :( So I tried another flavor, wouldn't touch them.
I think I just have a picky eater on my hands. I'll bet if I went in there and gave him some fresh dry food he'd eat.
Hold on, I'm going to go try that.........nope, didn't work. :(
The vet said she had some really good appetite stimulant I could give him. So I guess if he keeps this up I'll go get some of that next week. I just hate having to give him medicine. I'll just tell him he wouldn't have to get medicine if he would just EAT!!!

kitten645
02-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Cindy,
you might want to try nuecking it for a few seconds. Even if it's dry, warmed slightly will make it smellier and maybe he'll eat a bit :rolleyes:
Taz,
You behave and eat what's in front of you. Your meowmie ain't a caterer! (only your loyal servant!:D)
Claudia

momoffuzzyfaces
02-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Prayers on the way from me and grandma sends a gentle head kiss for her special Valentine! :love:

Taz_Zoee
02-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Cindy,
you might want to try nuecking it for a few seconds. Even if it's dry, warmed slightly will make it smellier and maybe he'll eat a bit :rolleyes:
Taz,
You behave and eat what's in front of you. Your meowmie ain't a caterer! (only your loyal servant!:D)
Claudia

Thanks Claudia, and I do nuke it ALL the time. The wet food that is. The dry food he seems to be okay with but it has to be fresh out of the bag and he has to SEE me get it out of the bag.:rolleyes: Tonight I gave him Paizly's left overs from breakfast. I know he shouldn't be eating it, but it wasn't very much and I just want him to have something in his stomach.

Prayers on the way from me and grandma sends a gentle head kiss for her special Valentine! :love:

Awww, thank you, both of you. I will deliver that kiss for Grandma right on top of Tazmoe's head. :)

G535
02-07-2009, 09:10 PM
It's so hard to get cats to eat when they don't want to, better to let him have a little of the stuff he's not supposed to eat rather than not eat at all. I hope he gets his appetite back soon. :)

Moesha
02-07-2009, 09:12 PM
I sure hope that Taz will eat better. Please keep us posted.

lvpets2002
02-09-2009, 12:23 PM
:love: Come on Baby Taz & eat.. I just know meowmom puts down some yum yums for you.. Sending Prayers.. keep us posted..

Barbara
02-09-2009, 04:20 PM
With kidney kitties if they don't eat the important thing is to get them eating. It's more important than keeping a diet. The diet is to keep the proteine low. But if they lose weight it means they are digesting their own proteine which is just as bad.
When Filou didn't eat we tried everything especially fatty stuff. Filou got liver pate, goose fat and whatever he liked best. I hope you find something Taz really loves.
10,5 lb is low- but not too bad.
Filou at all times loved the Royal canin Renal dry food. Even Tigris who is healhy loves it. So eating dry food is much better than not eating- and of course you should provide plenty of water.
Sending all best wishes to Taz :love:

Taz_Zoee
02-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Well, in the buckets of Tidy Cat litter there was a can of the Friskies Indoor kitty food. I'm giving him that. And it came with a coupon. So yesterday when I went to PetSmart I bought four cans (of course I forgot to use the coupon:rolleyes:). But before I bought them I looked at the protein percentage and it is only .5% higher than his k/d food (in two of the flavors). So I will see if he likes it. I'll keep the k/d on hand in case he gets bored with the new food and just switch it around when necessary. :)

Thanks for the kind words and prayers everyone. :D I will definitely keep you updated.

Oh, 10.5 is not bad, but Taz is a large cat in general, so he looks very skinny and sickly right now. :( And his little sitter is a pest and won't leave him alone. :p

phesina
02-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Oh Taz, I hope you are gobbling up that yummy Friskies food! Barbara is right, you need to eat SOMETHING.

Moesha
02-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Here's a link for you. It is for diabetic cats, but it lists protein and carb amounts for many brands of canned and dry cat food. I have to look for high protein low carbs for Morgan, but you may be able to use it for low protein foods for Taz. http://www.felinediabetes.com/diabetic-cat-diets.htm

Taz_Zoee
02-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks Moe!!

Question for those of you with kidney kitties. I know the food must be low protein. But it should also be higher in fat, is this correct? That's what it looks like on the cans of k/d. I was focusing more on the low protein.