PDA

View Full Version : Reason Returns To Government

lizbud
02-04-2009, 07:00 PM
New Interior secretary scraps oil-and-gas leasing of Utah land near national parks
By PAUL FOY | Associated Press Writer
4:24 PM CST, February 4, 2009

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — In a high-profile reversal of the Bush administration, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said Wednesday the government is scrapping the lease of 77 parcels of federal land for oil and gas drilling in Utah's redrock country.

"In the last weeks in office, the Bush administration rushed ahead to sell oil and gas leases near some of our nation's most precious landscapes in Utah," Salazar said from Washington in a teleconference call with reporters.

He ordered the Bureau of Land Management, which is part of the Interior Department, to not cash checks from winning bidders for parcels at issue in a lawsuit filed by environmental groups.

The sales were worth $6 million to the government in addition to royalties on any oil or gas production.

"We will take time and a fresh look at these 77 parcels to see if they are appropriate for oil and gas development," Salazar said.

A federal judge put the sale of the 77 parcels on hold last month until the lawsuit was resolved. Now, Salazar is refusing to sell any of them — at least until the new administration has a chance to take a second look.

Conservation groups promised to press ahead with the lawsuit to challenge long-term management plans that made the sale of the parcels possible in the first place. The plans, governing 7 millions acres of public land in Utah, were approved by the BLM last year.

Among critics of December's lease auction was Robert Redford, who owns Sundance ski resort and has spent a lifetime on horseback in southern Utah's canyons.

"I see this announcement as a sign that after eight long years of rapacious greed and backdoor dealings, our government is returning a sense of balance to the way it manages our lands," Redford, 71, said in a statement Wednesday.

Salazar said some of the lease parcels, totaling about 100,000 acres, are too close to Arches and Canyonlands national parks and Dinosaur National Monument, all in Utah. Other leases taken off the table were on the high cliffs of whitewater sections of the Green River through Desolation Canyon.

Salazar also acted to protect plateaus populated by big game atop Nine Mile Canyon, sometimes called the world's longest art gallery because of its collection of ancient rock-art panels.

The National Park Service protested the Dec. 19 auction weeks before it was held, and the BLM removed some parcels from the auction list in response.

At first, the BLM was going to auction a parcel so close to Delicate Arch, the signature landmark at Arches park near Moab, drills might have been visible through the center of the 33-foot-wide span. That parcel was 1.3 miles away. It was taken off the auction list under Park Service protest, but the BLM took bids on other drilling parcels within view of Arches, Canyonlands and Dinosaur parks.

The bureau also offered for lease lands in Utah that are largely considered wild even if they don't have federal protection.

Fifty-five of the contested parcels are in areas proposed for protection under America's Redrock Wilderness Act, a bill that has lingered in Congress for years without action because of the Utah delegation's opposition.

"This area in southern Utah is the land of my youth," said Rep. Brian Baird, D-Wash., who grew up in Colorado and is co-chairman of the congressional National Parks Caucus. "Its beauty is stunning, its silence is deafening and it is simply no place for an oil derrick."

Earthjustice, the group that filed the auction lawsuit, estimated the lands in question would produce only an hour and a half of oil for the whole country at current consumption rates.

But those parcels also could have produced clean-burning natural gas, said industry groups, which condemned Salazar's decision as counter to President Barack Obama's goal of energy independence.

"We hope today's decision does not signal the administration is returning to the failed policies of the past, leaving much of America's vast energy resources locked up while the nation's demand for energy continues to grow," Jack Gerard, president of the American Petroleum Institute, said in a statement Wednesday.

Salazar said he was allowing the lease of 39 other parcels auctioned off in December that were not challenged in the lawsuit.

The BLM is scheduled to hold its next auction in Utah on March 24. It wasn't known Wednesday what lands might go up for sale next.

"We would hope that Interior will closely scrutinize this sale list and take BLM off autopilot under the Bush administration," said Steve Bloch, a staff lawyer for the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance.

blue
02-04-2009, 11:30 PM
So N.I.M.B.Y. is now considered reasonable?

I thought this administration was about creating jobs, not shutting them down.

smokey the elder
02-05-2009, 07:13 AM
According to Exxon, there is a technology something like ground sonar which will allow noninvasive determination of whether there is oil or gas under a piece of land. A compromise may be to auction off (at a lower price) rights for non-invasive exploration, then determine what to do based on the results. Making holes in the ground that may be dry serve no purpose other than creating an eyesore and destroying the environment.

Catty1
02-05-2009, 10:52 AM
blue - don't you get it? It's EVERYONE'S back yard.

blue
02-05-2009, 12:57 PM
blue - don't you get it? It's EVERYONE'S back yard.

I do get it. There is NG here in my neck of the woods, and I am for them getting out of the ground. If there is oil and NG in Utah Im for them getting it out of the ground. It means jobs, and cheaper energy for us, things the President promised us.

lizbud
02-05-2009, 04:19 PM
According to Exxon, there is a technology something like ground sonar which will allow noninvasive determination of whether there is oil or gas under a piece of land.

And Exxon has no reason to lie to the public do they? Sounds like
pie in the sky to me. Are there any working models of this new process?

Just wondering.

Catty1
02-05-2009, 05:19 PM
blue, I absolutely see your point.

Salazar said he was allowing the lease of 39 other parcels auctioned off in December that were not challenged in the lawsuit.

Some parcels are going ahead. What I am talking about is balance - not throwing the baby out with the proverbial bathwater. This was rushed through last-minute - and I am all for a second look to make sure that whatever land is irreversibly damaged is not really wanted.

Yes, jobs - but the natural land, too. "Bread and Roses" as the old song went.

blue
02-05-2009, 11:54 PM
And Exxon has no reason to lie to the public do they? Sounds like
pie in the sky to me. Are there any working models of this new process?

Just wondering.

Its actually called seismic imaging, and its not anything new.

Exxon Corp. shot the first 3D seismic survey in its Friendswood field near Houston in 1967. Within five years, Chevron, Texaco, Mobil, Phillips, Amoco, and Unocal were all involved in projects aimed at evaluating 3D seismic imaging.

Source (http://www.ogfj.com/Articles/Article_Display.cfm?Article_ID=243367), and a good read on the tech.

Kaleidoscope enables Repsol to locate oil reserves buried some 30,000 feet (10,000 feet of water and then 20,000 more feet of seabed) below the Gulf of Mexico's surface, for example.

Source (http://www.gasandoil.com/goc/company/cnn85212.htm).

ETA: rather then add another post.

This was rushed through last-minute - and I am all for a second look to make sure that whatever land is irreversibly damaged is not really wanted.

Yes, jobs - but the natural land, too. "Bread and Roses" as the old song went.

Irreversible damage is very limited these days, nobody drills better, cleaner, and with less impact then drill companies in the USA.

Puckstop31
02-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Its actually called seismic imaging, and its not anything new.

Source (http://www.ogfj.com/Articles/Article_Display.cfm?Article_ID=243367), and a good read on the tech.

Yes, that is really cool technology. We have a client who uses it a lot. They do "resistivity" tests to look for gas deposits in NW Pennsylvania and other places. I have seen what the output looks like and it IS really, really cool stuff.

They talked about how this technology lets them plan SIDEWAYS drilling. That is, they penetrate at a "friendly" site, go down a thousand feet then go sideways as necessary to get to the deposit. Way cool stuff. Now, if only people would understand this and how little it impacts the area being drilled.... We could drill ANWAR and everybody would be happy... (Pipe Dream?)

lizbud
02-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Yes, that is really cool technology. We have a client who uses it a lot. They do "resistivity" tests to look for gas deposits in NW Pennsylvania and other places. I have seen what the output looks like and it IS really, really cool stuff.

They talked about how this technology lets them plan SIDEWAYS drilling. That is, they penetrate at a "friendly" site, go down a thousand feet then go sideways as necessary to get to the deposit. Way cool stuff. Now, if only people would understand this and how little it impacts the area being drilled.... We could drill ANWAR and everybody would be happy... (Pipe Dream?)

A PR article from The Oil & Gas Journal huh? Hmmmm:rolleyes:

Here's a much better way to power the future.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=6823005&page=1

blue
02-08-2009, 12:49 AM

Wind farms arent going to heat my house, fill my Jeeps gas tank, or get the things I need to buy to market effectively anytime soon.

Oil and gassification are needed for the transfer from fossile fuels to renewable energy.

Along with wind farms we need to start growwing commercial hemp in the USA.

Puckstop31
02-08-2009, 08:06 AM

And to line GE's pockets.... ;) GE, BTW had spent, by far, the most money lobbying Congress. I wonder how much of this pork laden "stimulus" bill is earmarked for wind farms? Which, of course, won't be in Senator Kennedy's backyard.... OR amount to a hill of beans worth of energy...

Grace
02-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Which, of course, won't be in Senator Kennedy's backyard.......

Maybe not, but very close. And definitely in Patrick's.

http://www.projo.com/news/content/WIND_TURBINE_ARRIVES_02-07-09_APD77D7_v47.40daef3.html