PDA

View Full Version : Tabby cats

I_love_cats
09-19-2002, 10:44 PM
I have a tabby cat; he has lots of spots on his stomach. Rings on his tail amd strips on his back, head and legs but I don't think he is a regular tabby, more like a wild cat. He is a big cat, he was big when we got him and it said on the cage that he was 8 mos. Are all tabbies supposed to be big and plus he is a male; i guess that makes a different. One last thing, his fur is not shiny like my other two cats but it is soft. I was wondering is because he is a tabby, does anyone have a tabby and notice that the fur isn't shiny, it's not very healthy fur. I just hope is not sick. Please let me know. thanks. Here is a picture of him, can anyone tell me if he is a special breed. Thanks!!

Karen
09-19-2002, 10:50 PM
Lots of kinds of cats have "tabby" markings, and my cat book says (of the Blue Mackerel Tabby under "American Shorthairs" "The underparts are spotted, and well-marked individuals show a number of darker rings on the neck and upper chest." It also notes that "The mackerel tabby is sometimes described as the "natural" or "wild" type, because this coloring occurs in wild cats."

If his fur doesn't seem healthy, I'd take him to a vet, just in case.

toughCookie
09-20-2002, 02:01 AM
that sounds like my Emma, a grey tabby, Karen what what your book sounds lalot ike her, spots on her stomach, and she is big, and my Cookie was an orange tabby, she was big too, but didn't have spots on her tummy. Louise(Emma's littermate seems to have more Siamese or abbysinian ( I know I mis-spelled that) in her, she's smaller framed and weighs less.

Desert Arabian
09-20-2002, 06:09 AM
I have a sliver mackeral tabby- Dudley, but he is know where near the size of your pretty kitty. :p Dudley- looks almost exactly like your cat, see take a look:

Uabassoon
09-21-2002, 03:59 AM
My orange tabby is HUGE! Corkscrew is a really big and strong boy.

Lynn101
09-28-2002, 04:14 PM
I like all cats. They are so cute. I am a big animal lover. When I am older I might become a veterinarian or a marine bioligist. :eek:

neko1
09-28-2002, 04:23 PM
ilovecats- he's a beautiful cat! My friend has a tabby who looks just like him and her cat is huge also. His coat isn't shiny but it isn't dull either (if that makes any sense). I had a tabby girl when I was younger, but she was smaller and lighter. If his fur does not look right to you, then bring him to the vet. It couldn't hurt-maybe he needs something extra in his diet to help with a shiny coat?:confused:

jenluckenbach
09-28-2002, 06:03 PM
Tabby just means the striped pattern. It is not a breed or a color. There are different types of tabby patterns, like mackeral tabby and different colors like the brown (yours) silver or red etc.
About his dull fur, I would make sure he is on the correct food. Most coat problems are caused by the diet. Not all cats will have the same amount of shine in their fur, but you may be able to bring it up with a different food. But another thing to consider is his size. If he is a big cat he may have difficulty in cleaning certain areas like his back and that could aid in his appearing dull. If this is the case a little EXTRA brushing and/or a good bath may help.