PDA

View Full Version : Car trouble - question

Taz_Zoee
02-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Ok, back in Oct or Nov I noticed my car smelling like coolant inside when I turn the temp gauge from cold to hot and the fan is on.
In Dec I took it to a place and they replaced the water pump (which I just had replaced in Sept of 2007). A week later I still could smell coolant so I took it back and he checked it. This time he said I need to replace the valve cover gasket and its leaking oil.
Umm...ok, I'm not a mechanic but I do know oil does NOT smell like coolant.
I did not let him do any further work on my car because he lost my confidence in him.
My car is currently at a tire shop getting new tires and I asked them if they could take a look to see why I smell coolant. He said everything is tight, no leaks and looks good.
So why am I still smelling coolant!?!?! The tire place said there is coolant still on things and it may still be burning off. NO, I don't believe that because it's been like 5 or 6 weeks since the water pump was replaced.
I still do not have an answer and it still smells like coolant. :(

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be wrong??
Oh, it is a 2004 VW Jetta 1.8 Turbo.

Thanks!

Catty1
02-04-2009, 12:43 PM
I'd think a leak in your radiator, or even in the container that holds the overflow.

Ask specifically for them to check the rad. It might be worth taking to a rad shop (often they have inspection specials on - check your BBB or ask your friends for a good one) to save you more $ in the long run.

Check your former mechanic on the BBB as well...would be interesting to see what their rating is.

Husky_mom
02-04-2009, 12:45 PM
that is really weird... it should not smell like that... i mean if they placed new parts they should be CLEAN.. so unless you have a leak and they havenīt noticed..... (like in a hose that goes right to your vents)...

my other guess is something inside the car was "stained"... like the carpets wehn they move it around or something...

kokopup
02-04-2009, 01:02 PM
It is possibly the heater core that is located in the heater and conditioning unit is leaking. There should be a cover under the hood that exposes the cabin filter and access to the heater core. Check this out. If there is a leak of the core that is very large you should see your coolant level go down over time. It may not actually leak inside of car because of the condensate drain for your air conditioning. Look under you car after it sets a while to see if anything other than water leaks from your A/C condensate drain. This will be under the car around where your passages feet would be inside or just behind your right front wheel.

Taz_Zoee
02-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Wow, thanks for all the prompt responses guys.

Catty1 - I believe they checked the radiator. In VW's the radiator is enclosed and not easy to get to if at all.
The mechanic that did the work in December was a reference from a co-worker and she loves them. :rolleyes: I don't think they are a "bad" place as far as that goes. I just don't want to go back. LOL

Husky_mom - I think when they checked things they checked leaks all around where the coolant runs. They did a pressure check (or whatever) and found no leaks.

kokopup - I think you might be on to something. Because I smell it most when I turn the temp from cool to warm. I will have to look into this. Or have someone else.

Thanks!! :D

kokopup
02-04-2009, 01:18 PM
jetta's are bad to have a heater core leaks. It is not an easy replace either. I would make sure that if it is a core leak that the person to replace it is qualified. Another give away of a leaking core if an oily film on your windshield when the defrost is on.

Cinder & Smoke
02-04-2009, 03:08 PM
CAUTION!!

Till you find the cause of the coolant / antifreeze odor -
Keep ALL the FurKids away from the car and its parking spots ...
Most vehicle coolant / antifreeze is POISONOUS to all pets -
and smells very 'sweet' & inviting to them - they'll lick it up not knowing that
it can kill them! :eek:

Heater Core tips -
Check the floor, carpets, & mats under the dash for dampness ...
another sign of a leaking heater core.

Consider taking the car to an Authorized VW Dealer for a diagnosis -
they're well quialified to find the problem without just 'guessing' at what
MAY be wrong.

PS: It only takes a very tiny leak to created a very noticable odor!

Taz_Zoee
02-04-2009, 04:05 PM
kokopup - I have not noticed an oily film when I run the defrost. And I've been using the defrost a lot lately with it being icy in the morning.

Phred - Yes, I know about coolant and animals. Luckily my kitties are inside only and the dogs do not go out in the front yard unsupervised. :) But it is not leaking anything on the driveway either. :confused:
And I agree with taking it to a VW place. In fact, that's what Bruce said to do (but I had them just check while it was at the tire place anyway). But I am due for an oil change (I have lifetime oil changes at the dealer) so I'll have them check it there at that time. :) Probably next week, if I can.
Oh, also, I have rubber floor mats so I would think I'd notice a leak inside. But I will definitely check to be sure.

Thanks you GUYS! ;)

Freedom
02-04-2009, 06:24 PM
There are several Jetta forums, I just picked one and searched:
smell coolant

This is what came up, doesn't seem to be much help, though, sorry.
http://jettajunkie.com/vw-jetta/showthread.php/head-gasket-exhaust-manifold-gaskets-urgent-553.html?t=553&highlight=coolant+smell