PDA

View Full Version : Cooking lesson 101

Laura's Babies
02-04-2009, 12:10 PM
I have been making these thing for a long time and every crew I make them for LOVE them, even claim they are addictive. Last trip, I took pictures of the process just to show you how simple cooking can be and get great results..

Items needed
8 ounces ground sausage
7 eggs
1 cup shedded cheese
1 can grand biscuits

Cook ground sausage in a skillet and drain grease off.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/OHIO%20RIVER%202009/IMG_0233.jpg

Crack eggs into bowl and scramble
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/OHIO%20RIVER%202009/IMG_0235.jpg

Pour into skillet with sausage and cook
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/OHIO%20RIVER%202009/IMG_0236.jpg

Salt and pepper when cooked and sprinkle on the cheese.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/OHIO%20RIVER%202009/IMG_0237.jpg

Roll out biscuits into a circle and divide egg mix into 8 parts and set in center of the rolled out biscuit
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/OHIO%20RIVER%202009/IMG_0238.jpg

Finishing below in next post>>>>>

Laura's Babies
02-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Fold biscuits around the mix, sealing all edges
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/OHIO%20RIVER%202009/IMG_0239.jpg

The last step... COOK N EAT!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/Grammy707/OHIO%20RIVER%202009/IMG_0240.jpg

Now, think about this and how many options there are in what to do with something like this.. Use roast beef and swiss cheese... Ham & Cheese... Pizza makings... Pie filling and ice them.. The possiabilities are unlimitted in what you can do with this idea... Let your imagination go wild!

End of todays lesson, class dismissed!

Taz_Zoee
02-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Teacher, teacher!!! *waves hand*
I have a question, because when I cook (which I never do) I must follow directions to the tee!! What would the oven temp be and how long would you cook them? :)
This actually looks like something I could do!!

Laura's Babies
02-04-2009, 12:24 PM
I just have to tell you... That last crew I made them for was so impressed and I know several of them are going to go home and make them. I explained how simple they are to make and all the possiabilities of what they could do with this idea and several of them left saying they ARE going to make these at home. One guy who ate them every morning came in one morning when I had the egg mix on the rolled out dough and even though I had explained how simple it was to do several times, when he saw that, his jaw dropped and he said "OH MY! That's just TO simple! Now I KNOW I can do it!

(Cooking made simple and easy)

Laura's Babies
02-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Taz_Zoee, follow the heat directions on the can of biscuits.. Remember, everything in it is already cooked and all you are doing is cooking the bread part. You cook them until they are the color you want.. Some people like lighter cooked bread, some like darker cooked.. That is your own personal prefferance.

I also need to say, when using sliced deli meats for the center, warm it in the microwave just a little, you will need to get the water out of it or the results will be gummy..

Taz_Zoee
02-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Cool! Thanks! I think I'll try them this weekend. Ohh!! I can make them up in Tahoe next weekend too!!! :D
I've never been so excited to COOK!!! LOL

lvpets2002
02-04-2009, 12:36 PM
:eek: WoW that is such a Great Recipe.. I am not too good with bisquits.. So I will just eat the Egg & Sausage.. Yum Yum

kuhio98
02-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Welcome back, Laura!

We will definitely be making this recipe when I get home on the 12th. Thanks! Keep 'em coming!

smokey the elder
02-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Another mod: take the egg and sausage, put into a tortilla, add salsa, other fixin's and you have a nice breakfast burrito!

shepgirl
02-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Looks real yummy, made my mouth water. And I think it's simple enough for even my son to make since he loves cooking.

GILL
02-04-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm mad. It looks and sounds like a great recipe, now that I have started a low sugar, low cholesterol, low fat diet.
I not been to Mexico for a couple years now, but I agree with Richard, a good street cart or hole in the wall has the best food.

Laura's Babies
02-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Another mod: take the egg and sausage, put into a tortilla, add salsa, other fixin's and you have a nice breakfast burrito

They are burned out on the burritos and the sausage egg and cheese biscuits.. Will have to come up with something else when they get burned out on these. They love the grab and run things for breakfast..

slick
02-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Laura, that sounds wonderful, but since I can't cook, I have some questions.

That's alot of eggs for one fry pan. To get the eggs to cook all the way through do you put it under the broiler? Cooking it all on the stove top...I'd be afraid the bottom would get too brown.
I've never purchased the Grands or any other biscuits. Does that one tin of biscuits contain 8?
What if I wanted to make smaller ones or less of them? I live alone and 8 is too much for me to make. I would hate to freeze them.
Just looking at the recipe I would use Hot Italian sausage and add some tobasco or cayenne pepper, red pepper and onion to the mixture before adding the eggs. As for cheese, I would probably mix strong cheddar with Jalapeno Jack?? (do you sense a pattern here?? :D) Oh, what about cooking up some shredded hash browns in another pan and adding some on top of the egg mixture before rolling up?

jennielynn1970
02-04-2009, 08:47 PM
I make a biscuit, like a drop biscuit, with cubed ham and cheddar cheese in them. They get grabbed up at faculty meetings in the AM.

It was originally from the Fraiser cookbook, but I sold it on Amazon years ago.

Logan
02-05-2009, 08:18 AM
I see this in our future. So easy, yet so good! Thanks, Laura!

Laura's Babies
02-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Slick
That's alot of eggs for one fry pan. To get the eggs to cook all the way through do you put it under the broiler? Cooking it all on the stove top...I'd be afraid the bottom would get too brown.

I cook it all in the skillet, they are scrambled so you are constantly stirring them and you always stir from the bottom of the pan.

I've never purchased the Grands or any other biscuits. Does that one tin of biscuits contain 8?
I think they do make a smaller can with 4 or 5 in it for us who live alone and don't need so many.

What if I wanted to make smaller ones or less of them? I live alone and 8 is too much for me to make. I would hate to freeze them

You can do whatever you want, they are yours..How about for less, do half with the breakfast mix, some for lunch stuff of fruit pies?

Just looking at the recipe I would use Hot Italian sausage and add some tobasco or cayenne pepper, red pepper and onion to the mixture before adding the eggs. As for cheese, I would probably mix strong cheddar with Jalapeno Jack?? (do you sense a pattern here?? ) Oh, what about cooking up some shredded hash browns in another pan and adding some on top of the egg mixture before rolling up?

I think you alread see the unlimmited possiablities.. Great minds work alike. :D

I made some for supper one night with sliced deli roast beef, Swiss cheese and onions and they guys tore them up!

Crew change morning I made the sausage, egg & cheese ones and made another can of them with cherry pie filling and put icing on those.

Hay, you can do them however you want, they are yours! Smaller, larger, change what you put in the center, whatever flys your kite.

I want to do some with pizza stuffing in them one day.

BitsyNaceyDog
02-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Yum! They look good. They're kind of like a homemade Hot Pocket. (I don't eat Hot Pockets, but i would definitely eat these!) My husband is at a conference the next couple days, maybe I'll make a couple of these for Nathan and me while he's away? It'll be fun.

sirrahbed
02-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Just showed hubby and he wants them for breakfast:)

Missy - looks like something your family would like, too:D

Laura's Babies
02-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Just showed hubby and he wants them for breakfast

Be warned... My guys say they are addictive!

They're kind of like a homemade Hot Pocket.

Yes only BETTER... and there are so many possiabilities!

I have been making something wrapped in dough since my days of working at school, only I have always made my roll dough and used that and I have called them "hot pockets"..

We had another Captain come ride with us and he never came down the day I made some ham and cheese ones. The next day he called me to the wheelhouse and wanted to know what I thought I was doing serving my crew something like that.. (I am sure he thought I had served the store bought frozen ones) he had such a attitude that it made me mad. I told him I go by numbers, NOT what someone who never tried one thought. My recipe (I used the word RECIPE) makes 16 of them and I had to stop one guy from eating anymore once he had eaten 4 and still only had several left over. I said as I left, "I have been cooking since probably before you were out of diapers and if I haven't learned anything else, I have learned this about cooking, "You can not please ALL the people ALL the time, but you can please SOME of the people, SOME of the time and I pleased several when I made those!" " :D He called my regular Captain and told him I really had a bad attitude! :rolleyes: I have tried to find something else to call them to prevent that kind of misunderstanding from happening anymore but I always go back to calling them "hot pockets".

smokey the elder
02-05-2009, 03:00 PM
That other Captain has a lot of gall telling you that! I need to try to make this prep; it looks yummers.

pomtzu
02-05-2009, 05:47 PM
I just have to tell you... That last crew I made them for was so impressed and I know several of them are going to go home and make them. I explained how simple they are to make and all the possiabilities of what they could do with this idea and several of them left saying they ARE going to make these at home. One guy who ate them every morning came in one morning when I had the egg mix on the rolled out dough and even though I had explained how simple it was to do several times, when he saw that, his jaw dropped and he said "OH MY! That's just TO simple! Now I KNOW I can do it!

(Cooking made simple and easy)

Question........Have you ever tried freezing them after they've been cooked?
It would be great to have a batch in the freezer and to take just one at a time out for breakfast or a quick lunch.

Laura's Babies
02-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Seems to me I read somewhere that you can make them and freeze them, then microwave them for 90 seconds (I THINK!) Heck, they freeze them ones you buy so I don't see why you can't. I have just never had any left over to try freezing any.

pomtzu
02-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Seems to me I read somewhere that you can make them and freeze them, then microwave them for 90 seconds (I THINK!) Heck, they freeze them ones you buy so I don't see why you can't. I have just never had any left over to try freezing any.

I'm going to make some for everyone this weekend, so I'll try to keep one aside and freeze it and give it a try. I was just thinking that maybe they would get soggy when being reheated. I guess I'll find out! :D

Sirrahsim
02-09-2009, 08:23 AM
I made these this morning using leftover steak and scrambled eggs. They were a HUGE hit with the whole family:D

mruffruff
02-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Delicious with apple slices, butter and cinnamon; or raisins, butter and nuts; or leftover meatloaf and spaghetti sauce; or cooked chicken, green peppers and onions with a teaspoon of alfredo sauce; or just about anything else!

sirrahbed
02-09-2009, 10:27 AM
I made them yesterday morning and they were WONDERFUL!! Hubby says to tell you he loved them and to thank you for posting them:D I am absolutely going to make them again and experiment with what I put in them.:love:

Now, when will we be having lesson 102?

BitsyNaceyDog
02-09-2009, 10:55 AM
I made a couple this weekend while Justin was at his conference and I loved them. Nathan isn't a big fan of eggs, but I was hoping he would like it, he didn't and only ate the biscuit. I made them again yesterday, after Justin got back from his conference and he loved them. We'll definitely make them again. We had leftovers too, I put them in the refrigerator and they heated up nicely this morning (45 seconds).

pomtzu
02-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Delicious with apple slices, butter and cinnamon; or raisins, butter and nuts; or leftover meatloaf and spaghetti sauce; or cooked chicken, green peppers and onions with a teaspoon of alfredo sauce; or just about anything else!

That apple idea is great!

I need a quick dinner tomorrow night, and I'm going to make the sausage and egg ones with a side of applesauce, since I never got to make any over the weekend. No reason they have to be for breakfast only! :p

Laura's Babies
02-10-2009, 07:43 AM
Cooking 102 will come after next trip.. I have another recipe that knocks their socks off that they can't get enough of that is as simple and easy to make as these. You'll slap you forehead and say "Now, WHY didn't I think of that?" It too, is a grab and run item..

I am thrilled that so many gave it a try and I am loving everyones ideas on what else to put in them.. I LOVE the left over meatloaf idea and the cooked chicken, green peppers and onions with alfredo sauce. I love to find ways to "re-dress" leftovers.. The left over steak and egg one would be a BIG hit!

I LOVE sharing my recipes and ideas and getting others to do the same. I met 2 other cooks when I stayed in the training center in Paducah after I got off the boat and that is about all we did, share recipes and ideas..

Bengalz
02-10-2009, 07:53 AM
Thanks Laura!!

I made them this weekend and OMG they are almost all gone:eek: (There are just the two of us...) Needless to say hubby loved them and I love them too. They're great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I am going to experiment with different fillings:D

P.S. Pillsbury Grands come in rolls of 4 - I used 2 rolls with mild Italian sausage, 7 eggs and medium cheddar - purrfect!

Whens Cooking 102????

Randi
02-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Laura, I'd like to try these too, but in Denmark we don't have that bisquit dough. I talked to a girl from N.Y. - she works in my local supermarket and she suggested this recipe:
http://southernfood.about.com/od/biscuitrecipes/r/bln268.htm

On the site, there are more bisquit recipees - which one do you think will fit? Scroll down a bit!

And I'm not sure what vegetable shortening is?

Laura's Babies
02-10-2009, 12:08 PM
And I'm not sure what vegetable shortening is?

Lard it use to be called (came from hogs).. It is the hard white grease/shortening. It is sold here under the Crisco name and comes in a can, as I said it is hard and white but melts when you heat it.

You could use ANY biscuit recipe, roll dough, or canned biscuit.. I have used all of them and just like the results of the Grands the best. I used my roll dough recipe until I gave the grands a try but that takes the ease and quickness out of making them. I still prefer the roll dough recipe for some things.

Bengalz- Cooking 102 will come after next trip, see 2 posts up...

kimlovescats
02-10-2009, 01:17 PM
How sweet of you to share this, Laura! This is something that will definitely be a big hit with my family!:D:love:

kuhio98
02-15-2009, 07:27 PM
Laura ~ Made your recipe yesterday and Bobcat loved them!

We bought the smaller can of Grands biscuits (5) and used 1 carton of egg beaters instead of real eggs. The egg substitute was a little watery so I dried them out as much as possible. We threw in a handful minced onion and green peppers. They turned out great. This will definitely become one of our favorites.

Thanks! And keep 'em coming.

cassiesmom
02-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Just a thought. If I buy a can of biscuits from the refrigerated section I end up throwing part of the dough away because I can't use the whole can. Now they are in bags in the freezer aisle too (look by frozen pie crusts) so I can just take out and unfreeze what I need.

This would be yummy with sloppy joe inside it. I'm the only dork on the planet who eats sloppy joe open face, with a knife and fork, because I don't like my fingers all sticky. This would be neater!

Leftover Thanksgiving turkey and a piece of Swiss cheese... if I leave out the sausage and put some cheese in with the egg, it would be meatless... Hmmm... when is lesson 102?

Laura's Babies
02-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Cooking lesson 102 comes after next trip out.. I gurantee it will be a real winner and everyone will be SO impressed with how smart you were to make them and want the recipe! Is that tempting or what?

momcat
02-15-2009, 11:11 PM
Hey Laura,
I love to cook when I have the time. Unfortunately that's not very often between my work schedule and trying to get up to see Mom on weekends. This looks and sounds wonderful and we can't wait to give them a try. Don't know if this would work for you, Mom used to make them when I was growing up:

Mix some ground beef (for us I use a pound) with egg, salt, pepper, onion, whatever you like.

Follow the recipe for biscuits on the Bisquick box. Roll it out on a floured surface, then spread the meat mixture evenly on the rolled out dough

Roll it up like a jelly-roll then cut into 1" slices. Put the slices on a cookie sheet then bake them according to the Bisquick directions until golden brown.

They're great hot or cold plus they're portable!

slick
02-15-2009, 11:28 PM
I went shopping yesterday and sadly I couldn't find the Grands biscuits or any other biscuits.....only the croissants. :( I'll have to try another store. I hope they sell the Grands up here in KA-NA-DA.

Laura's Babies
02-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Momcat... I see lots of possiabilities with that idea too! I will have to keep that in mind when I go back to work..

Bengalz
02-16-2009, 09:12 AM
I went shopping yesterday and sadly I couldn't find the Grands biscuits or any other biscuits.....only the croissants. :( I'll have to try another store. I hope they sell the Grands up here in KA-NA-DA.

Pillsbury does sell the Grands at Safeway - 4 to a roll. Their grands are triangular but the dough is soft so you just have to mold it around the filling. I have made them Slick and they are delicious! Haven't tried freezing them yet cuz they just don't last that long:D

ChrisH
02-16-2009, 10:04 AM
They look scrumptious Laura! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/hungry.gif

Biscuits don't mean the same thing in the UK as in the US so it is not surprising we don't have Grands in our shops.

In America, biscuits refer to small quick breads, which often use leavening like baking powder or baking soda. Biscuits are generally savoury (but can be sweet), and the texture should be tender and light. 2. In the British Isles, the term "biscuit" usually refers to a flat, thin cookie or cracker.
I'm not quite sure of what I could use instead.

slick
02-16-2009, 10:35 AM
Pillsbury does sell the Grands at Safeway - 4 to a roll. Their grands are triangular but the dough is soft so you just have to mold it around the filling. I have made them Slick and they are delicious! Haven't tried freezing them yet cuz they just don't last that long:D Thanks Betty, but I was at Safeway. I guess I have to try another location.

mruffruff
02-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Crescent rolls work too. Just use two and squish them together to form a square.

Taz_Zoee
02-16-2009, 07:44 PM
My mom and I made these yesterday morning while we were up in Tahoe. They were yummy, but we need to add something more to make them more flavorful. They were a little bland, and that was our fault. But I also will try all the other ideas of fillings too. :D

Scooter's Mom
02-19-2009, 07:49 AM
I don't have a rolling pin to roll out my biscuits.

What else could I use?

Laura's Babies
02-19-2009, 08:04 AM
I'm not quite sure of what I could use instead.

ChrisH- Some kind of bread dough, premade or home made.

I don't have a rolling pin to roll out my biscuits.

What else could I use?

Scooter's Mom- For many years I didn't have a rolling pin until I found one at Goodwill, I used a glass. Any glass that is even top to bottom will do.

Scooter's Mom
02-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks Laura. I'm having this tonight I think.

I bought maple flavored sausage (my favorite) to put in 'em.

Crystal

Scooter's Mom
02-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Yum, yum, yum.
I bought the grands "Southern Style" biscuits. They were SOOO good.

I did mistakenly cook the entire package of sausage. It was 16 oz, not 8 oz. Oops. Leftovers! I cooked extra egg and ziplocked the leftovers together in a baggie for lunch tomorrow. And, I didn't use all the biscuits for the hot pockets, so I have a couple left to eat with lunch. I got tired of rolling them flat with my glass, lol.

Thanks again for the idea, Laura!

Laura's Babies
02-20-2009, 08:25 AM
I end up throwing part of the dough away because I can't use the whole can.

OH NO! Just cook the extra biscuits, possiabilities there are, break them up into smaller pieces, roll in cinnamon & sugar, put in a small pan layered style, and bake... OR cook plain and split later, butter, add a slice of cheese and warm in the oven... or leave off the cheese and cook like toast..

I did mistakenly cook the entire package of sausage

Now you know one of my time saving tips! I cook the whole pound, use half and save the other half for the next morning. I always have cooked ground beef in the freezer cooked like this to make dirty rice, cabbage and ground beef or add to soup... so many uses for ground beef already cooked..

This is a recipe I found the other day that I can't wait to try. Just LOOK at it, it has to be a real WINNER and ever so easy!

Oreo Balls

1 pkg of Oreo's - crushed fine in the food processor
1 8 oz block softened cream cheese
1 block vanilla bark

Mix oreo's and cream cheese in large bowl.
Roll into balls - not huge, just bite size and put on wax paper.
Melt vanilla bark in top of double boiler.
Dip balls in melted vanilla bark (I use 2 forks).
Chill in fridge. Sometimes I melt a little chocolate and drizzle on top to make them really pretty.

Taz_Zoee
02-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Oreo Balls

1 pkg of Oreo's - crushed fine in the food processor
1 8 oz block softened cream cheese
1 block vanilla bark

Mix oreo's and cream cheese in large bowl.
Roll into balls - not huge, just bite size and put on wax paper.
Melt vanilla bark in top of double boiler.
Dip balls in melted vanilla bark (I use 2 forks).
Chill in fridge. Sometimes I melt a little chocolate and drizzle on top to make them really pretty.

OMG, Laura you are killing me here!! Those sound soo yummy!!

I need some ideas for appetizers though. Anyone? Bruce's family is coming over for his birthday on Sunday and they are more "classy" than I am. My idea of good appetizers is chips and salsa, or chili cheese dip and things like that. They are more of the crackers and spread type of people.
I'll have to look through some cookbooks and online tonight for ideas.

Laura's Babies
02-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Might I suggest these? These are excellent...
Cold Cut Rolls
. A low-carb cold appetizer. Cooking time includes chilling time.
8 servings
time to make"1¼ hours 15 min prep

1/4 lb sliced ham
1/4 lb sliced turkey
1/4 lb sliced roast beef
1/4 lb sliced salami
Filling
8 ounces cream cheese
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
fresh cracked black pepper
Combine filling ingredients.
Spread the filling on an assortment of freshly sliced cold cuts.
Ask the deli attendant to slice them more thickly than you might get them for sandwiches.
Roll the cold cuts, starting with the longest side.
Chill rolls until firm and then slice into bite-sized pieces with a very sharp knife.
Serve with toothpicks.
Or this................

Pizza Pull-Aparts
2-4 servings
time to make"20 min 5 min prep

1 (7 1/2 ounce) can refrigerated biscuits
3/4 cup pizza sauce
1-1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
pizza toppings
pepperoni or olives or mushrooms or sausage, etc
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Spray 9-inch pie pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Cut biscuits into quarters and arrange in pie pan.
Spread pizza sauce over biscuits (use more or less to your liking).
Top with shredded cheese (can also use a combo of mozzarella and cheddar, or whatever your favorites are) and desired pizza toppings.
Bake for 14-17 minutes or until biscuits are done.

Or meatballs in your fav sauce? Cheese cubes?

Karen
02-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Hey, Laura - why not add these to the venerable resource of the Recipe thread (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=16188) - and Cindy, try browsing there as well!

Taz_Zoee
02-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Those sound good Laura. I'll run them by Bruce.

Oh yeah, thanks Karen. I forgot about that thread. :D

k9krazee
02-22-2009, 03:27 PM
I'm making this for dinner tonight!! Along with stuffed strawberries that I saw on the food network channel yesterday.

Cinder & Smoke
02-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Along with stuffed strawberries that I saw on the food network channel yesterday.

:confused:

OK ... I give up.
WHAT do you "stuff a Strawberry" with???

I thought the Strawberry WAS the "stuffing" that went INside other stuff.

:confused:

k9krazee
02-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Lol!! You stuff it with cream cheese, powdered sugar and a little vanilla extract! And possibly top it with pecans or chocolate.

Laura's Babies
02-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Oooooo! It is strawberry season here too! (I LOVE CREAM CHEESE!!)

Karen
09-10-2009, 11:14 PM
Well, I tried an experiment tonight - took the grands biscuit dough, and chopped up an apple, mixed with some cinnamon and sugar. On one, I just flattened out the biscuit dough, and put the apple mixture in the center, though I did crimp the edges some. The others I put one flattened biscuit on the bottom, stuff in the middle, and another on top.

Verdict: failure for the two-biscuit version, as the dough in the center didn't cook, even after 16 minutes. The outsides were done, but not the middle. Scraped the apple out and ate that, and the edges, threw out the rest.

The one that I didn't put a "lid" on worked okay, but the edges didn't stay "crimped" - when I pulled them out of the oven, I put three thin slices of sharp cheddar on top, and it melted nicely onto the apples. That one was yummy, but not really worth doing again, next time I want an apple tart, I'll make a real one, but the biscuit dough was about to expire ... and it was worth a shot!

RICHARD
09-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Well, I tried an experiment tonight - took the grands biscuit dough, and chopped up an apple, mixed with some cinnamon and sugar. On one, I just flattened out the biscuit dough, and put the apple mixture in the center, though I did crimp the edges some. The others I put one flattened biscuit on the bottom, stuff in the middle, and another on top.

Verdict: failure for the two-biscuit version, as the dough in the center didn't cook, even after 16 minutes. The outsides were done, but not the middle. Scraped the apple out and ate that, and the edges, threw out the rest.

The one that I didn't put a "lid" on worked okay, but the edges didn't stay "crimped" - when I pulled them out of the oven, I put three thin slices of sharp cheddar on top, and it melted nicely onto the apples. That one was yummy, but not really worth doing again, next time I want an apple tart, I'll make a real one, but the biscuit dough was about to expire ... and it was worth a shot!

Could you possibly pre-cook the dough halfway? Then put the topping/filling on?

I have a pizza stone that, when pre heated, just takes a few minutes to make dough crispy, I 've done breads and stuff on it. you just have to watch the cooking times.They are way shorter than the standard.

Karen
09-10-2009, 11:44 PM
I think it was just the wrong kind of dough for this application. A thinner dough, or a pie crust type dough, would have worked much better. It ended up pretty darned sticky, too - next time I'll butter the "pan" - just foil on a cookie sheet this time. I'd still be likely chipping it off a pizza stone!

I bet if I stuck the biscuit dough in like a muffin tin or custard cup it would work, too - but the apples cooking inside the "pocket" helped steam the dough in the middle, rather than letting it bake. I think that's why the one that kinda ended up pizza-like cooked fine, but the others didn't.