PDA

View Full Version : ID Tags on Dogs

Uabassoon
09-19-2002, 06:06 PM
Today I came home from class two find to VERY happy dogs in my yard. Both were so friendly one was a lab mix and one was a rottie mix. They both had collars but no ID tags :( I was hoping they would have tags so I could call their owner and let them know their dogs were safe. This is the third time I've found dogs in my yard with no tags!!! I wish people in my neighborhood would put tags on their dogs so I could call them when their dogs show up in my yard.

mugsy
09-19-2002, 06:54 PM
I wonder if the dogs are microchipped and the people don't think they need tags. We've been kind of negligent with tags on some of ours. They continually lose them. Those are the plans for the weekend to figure out who needs tags and get to the pet store and order them.

Did you find the owners?? If not, what are you planning on doing?

Uabassoon
09-19-2002, 06:58 PM
There really isn't much I can do. I go outside every so often and see if they are out there. But I can't take them to a vet to check for microchips because I have a small pickup. These dogs are big and they won't fit in my truck with me and I can't keep them in the back of my truck because then they would jump out. There are so many dogs in this neighborhood that I have no idea who's dog belongs where. The last time there was a dog in my yard I asked a few neighbors if they knew whos dog it was and no one knew.

mugsy
09-19-2002, 07:02 PM
Don't you just love stupid people. Maybe you could contact a vet or a shelter and they could come out and scan them or maybe make some other arrangements. Good luck...I'll be thinking of you.

Cookiebaker
09-19-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
I can't keep them in the back of my truck because then they would jump out.

I am so so so glad to hear that you won't put them in the back of your truck. That is the worst thing anybody could ever do. I witnessed the most horrific scene ever, so horrible I can't even type it. I don't care how well your pup is trained, it's just not fair to them, and you never know how they might react.

I hope that the owners find them soon. I hope they weren't abandoned cause that isnt' fair to them either. :(

wolf_Q
09-19-2002, 11:14 PM
I hope the dogs are able to reunite with their owners! It appears that they are well taken care of (except for tags), so maybe they just got out of the yard.

A few nights ago I saw a TINY kitten in the road. It was dark, and another full grown cat was stalking it. I hurried and picked up the little kitty. SO cute! Brownish tabby with little white paws. :D I brought it inside (dogs didn't enjoy that, neither did the cat) to show my mom. She thought it was cute, but just told me to put it back outside. I wasn't sure what to do with it really because it looked like it must be somebodys pet, and it was late at night. We have a lot of wild cats around here, and it was definitely not wild, and very clean. I just worried why somebody would leave such a small kitten outside all night! :( I fed it a piece of soft dog treat (hey, she thought it was tasty!) and let it back outside.... I didn't see it for a few days, but I saw it across the street on a neighbors porch today. They have another cat, black one. Of course it lives outside, but at least it looks like it has a home.

About the truck thing--I couldn't agree more! I see people with dogs in their trucks all the time, and it drives me crazy. What is the worst is when they have one of those metal tool chest things! I can't even count how many dogs I've seen standing on that, just cringing, holding on for dear life........if there would have been a sudden stop, the dog would go flying!

mruffruff
09-20-2002, 03:07 PM
I agree that all dogs should have tags. Mine have the kind that rivet onto the collar so they can't get lost.

I won't let mine ride in the back of my pick up either. I have an extra cab Toyota, but they're too big to ride there sometimes so I strap carriers into the back and make sure they are secure.

If the dogs don't have any tags at all, it makes it very hard to track down the owners. Your best hope would be a shelter, preferably a no-kill. We have only one here and they will hold lost dogs if they seem to really be lost and not abandoned.

Mary

lovemymaltese
09-20-2002, 03:20 PM
Tango has a bright red one that has his name, address and phone number, he also has a gaurdian pet angel tag hanging from his collar, I think that is what got him through his cancer trauma this summer. :)

Dixie Belle
09-20-2002, 03:27 PM
I've got tags on mine with thier name, my name (or my husband's) our address, and our phone number. I've also had problems with dogs showing up that are well taken care of, but have no tags so I can't call the owner's. It makes me so mad!

catland
09-20-2002, 06:23 PM
I don't have dogs but I do keep my cats collared and tagged. Because cats can lose collars, I keep backups, so if one comes home without their collar, I put another on right then.

I just put my last name and phone number on the collars now because I can't keep up with all the different names. (I once brought Sid to the vet and his nametag said "Joxer" and the vet tech looked very confused - like I didn't know the names of my own cats!;)

KYS
09-20-2002, 07:18 PM
I agree, I.D. tags are very important, and it also
peevs me when I see a stray with-out a tag.
but!!!!!!
Now for the otherside of the coin.
If you own multiple dogs, that play rough, it
is possible for one of the dogs to get caught
on the other's collar thus injuring/ or choking.

I have Sheba tatooed and Rocky chipped.
Sheba no longer wears her collar around
Rocky because of her neck injury.
(but I do keep my gates lock)
Rocky and Pepper are the only ones who wears a collar/id

Uabassoon
09-20-2002, 07:39 PM
KYS I can undersatnd about not wearing collars at all, since I had a cat that died because of her collar. But my thought is if you are going to put a collar on your dog then put a tag on it. These two dogs in my yard both had collars but no tags.

KYS
09-21-2002, 04:00 AM
posted by Uabassoon : But my thought is if you are going to put a collar on your dog then put a tag on it. >>>>>

I agree with you 100% :)