PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts of a feral

Medusa
02-01-2009, 07:19 AM
Thoughts of a Feral

I sit beneath the bushes as she fills my dish each day,

I only venture out to eat when she has gone away.

I know it will upset her when I turn away and hide,

As everyday she does her best to get me by her side.

I wish that I could let her know that I don't want to run,

And hope that she will understand it's nothing that SHE'S done.

I'd like to have her stroke me and pat my weary head,

But fear will overcome and I'll run and hide instead.

For all the kindly people who feed the strays each day,

I pray the Lord will care for them as they have cared for me.

by Annette Easdon

pomtzu
02-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Lovely - but also sad!

catmandu
02-01-2009, 02:25 PM
THOSE ARE SUCH THOUGHTFUL INSIGHTFUL WORDS AND I PRAY THAT THAT IS WAHT THE MORE TIMID PORCH CATS ARE THINKING AS THEY COME TO THE FOUND CAT HOTEL AND EAT!!:love::love:
WOW THEY SURE ARE DIFFERENT SCENTS HERE
OTHER CATS, A POSSUM SQUIRRELS AND BIRDS
THE FOOD MUST BE GOOD TODAY TO DRAW ALL THESE CREATURES OF GOD
I HOPE THAT THERES SOME MEAT ON THE TOP
AS GOOD AS THE MEAT THAT WAS THERE YESTERDAY, THAT WAS GOOD.
:):):)

Freedom
02-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Got me teary eyed. I do hope this is what they are thinking!

momcat
02-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Somehow I can understand the fear these poor kitties experience. How are we to know what they may have been subjected to by uncaring humans? As much as they want to be loved and cared for, the instinct to survive always seems to win. These poor kitties have never had the opportunity to learn to trust us. But they touch my heart in a very special way and I for one will do the best I can to give them something to eat and just maybe for a brief moment a chance to know real love. Will it make a difference? One can only hope.....

Pinot's Mom
02-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Medusa, that's a lovely and poignant thought, and momcat-your response was beautifully put and I know it "makes a difference". Thank you.

I have to go now, my screen is getting blurry...

GILL
02-02-2009, 09:12 AM
I know that I may never get to hold or pet SWEETY, but I also know that since we trapped her in our house, almost 5 years ago, she is safe, feed, and warm. She will still give you eye talk but you are not allowed to be with in 4 feet. Even with her restrictions I believe that she knows we love her.

catmandu
02-02-2009, 09:23 AM
WHAT MAKES ME SAD IS THAT SOME TIIMES THE PORCH CATS WILL COME, AND THEN I NEVER SEE THEM AGAIN. I STILL WONDER WHATEVER BECAME OF SCRATCHY, WHO KEPT SCRAPPY 2 WARM IN THE WINTER, AND MELLOW YELLOW, THE YELLOW AND WHITE CAT WHO DOESNT COME AROUND ANYMORE.
AND FRED THE DARK SOLID GRAY, AND SCRATCHIEST THE LITTLE TABBY, AND HENRY THE ORANGE/WHITE TABBY.
I PRAY THAT THEY ARE ALL WELL , AND THAT SOMEONE LOVES THEM.:love::love:

Medusa
02-02-2009, 09:28 AM
WHAT MAKES ME SAD IS THAT SOME TIIMES THE PORCH CATS WILL COME, AND THEN I NEVER SEE THEM AGAIN. I STILL WONDER WHATEVER BECAME OF SCRATCHY, WHO KEPT SCRAPPY 2 WARM IN THE WINTER, AND MELLOW YELLOW, THE YELLOW AND WHITE CAT WHO DOESNT COME AROUND ANYMORE.
AND FRED THE DARK SOLID GRAY, AND SCRATCHIEST THE LITTLE TABBY, AND HENRY THE ORANGE/WHITE TABBY.
I PRAY THAT THEY ARE ALL WELL , AND THAT SOMEONE LOVES THEM.:love::love:

That used to make me sad, as well, Gary, but someone once told me "Sometimes we can only help them for a day" and I know that to be true. Occasionally, a feral would come to my porch and just drop inside one of the shelters that I had set up. When I found them the next morning dead, they were stretched out as though they had just made it in time to die at least in a warm, soft shelter. It was heart breaking but the alternative was that they would die outdoors, cold and unfed. So many ferals never allowed me to touch them physically so I touched them in the only way I knew how, w/food, warm cream and shelter. :(

catmandu
02-02-2009, 04:48 PM
I AGREE WITH YOU ON THAT MEDUSA.
WE CAN LEAVE FOOD OUT AND MAKE PLACES , AND PRAY.
THATS WHY I WAS SO DELIGHTED TO SEE POUNCER ROCCALNO AGAIN, SHES STILL ALIVE AND WELL!!!:love::love::love:

lvpets2002
02-02-2009, 04:51 PM
:love: That is so Very Nice.. thanks Mary

shepgirl
02-02-2009, 08:48 PM
That was pretty heart wrenching Medussa. Loved to read it but I had to reach for the kleenex and then I landed on your next post about finding one dead in the morning...that was hard to take. I've never owned a cat but we have loads of strays here. I have an empty barn with hay and I keep bowls of food in there all the time, one stall is full of wood chips for potty if they need it. The food disappears real fast but I think I've only seen maybe 8 cats since I've started setting out food. I know they're around, could never figure out why they didn't show up so this answered my question. I think when winter is over I'm going to really fix the place with different little houses for each cat that wants to stay.