PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista - Updated for anyone interested

ChrisH
01-31-2009, 05:41 AM
I will soon be taking delivery of a laptop using Windows Vista Home Premium. Anyone have anything positive to say about Vista?

Hellow
01-31-2009, 09:03 AM
Its a total redesign of Windows
It has better security, although at a cost
Its pretty

ChrisH
01-31-2009, 06:44 PM
Thanks for your input Reggie.

No-one else? Boy am I going to be having fun. :rolleyes:

Catlady711
01-31-2009, 08:59 PM
Well if it's the 64bit Vista then no I don't have anything positive to say about it.

catnapper
01-31-2009, 09:45 PM
I have Vista and I have no idea what people complain about it. I love it! Its easy to use and I've have had little compatability issues (and the program I expected to have issues works perfectly). I was expecting major headaches (such as the compatability issue) and was pleasantly surprised. There was a small learning curve (like where to find the settings for wallpaper and changing your color themes) but after a few days of playing, its all very logically organized and easy to use.

The newer version of Word is much better too. My college age daughter thinks its a million times better than the old Windows platform.

sasvermont
01-31-2009, 10:08 PM
Hi Chris. I have been using it on my new laptop for a few months now and have had no problems adjusting to it. Maybe if you are a super user or really computer savy, it is lame, but to the average home user, or me, it is fine!

:confused:

ninnu
02-01-2009, 01:26 AM
I've had Vista since last spring and got nothing to complain, love it and wouldn't change it for anything else anymore :D At first, it will take some getting used to (like new things always do) but once you are familiar with it, I'm sure you will like it.

blue
02-01-2009, 02:34 AM
I have low budget computers and vista uses too much memory, Ill stick with XP.

G535
02-01-2009, 02:38 AM
You shouldn't have any problems with Vista on a new machine. :)

blue
02-01-2009, 02:44 AM
You shouldn't have any problems with Vista on a new machine. :)

My comps are less then a year old and both have 2g of ram. My gear runs better on XP, both came with Vista.

Windows 7 should be out soon.

G535
02-01-2009, 03:10 AM
Maybe I should change that to read "I never had any problems with Vista on a new machine". :D

Most Vista problems are user created or it was installed on an underpowered machine.

Windows 7 is awesome!

Linux is better.

kokopup
02-01-2009, 09:56 AM
If you are an average user, XP or Vista is ok for office or gaming. If you need it to do real work (MULYITASKING) then you need Linus , Unix or
VMS.

Windows Vista and the new "7" will be just like all other MS crap, never finished. Microsoft never gets a platform debugged and stable before moving onto another equally lame attempt a creating an Operating System. Until MS gets control of their DLL's their OS will always be unstable. The last half way stable platform was Windows 2000.
My 2 cents worth.

Hellow
02-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Linux is better.

Thats true. Try installing Vista or Windows 7 on a Pentium III Celeron with 512MBs of RAM and a Geforce 6200. That would be fun.
Now, try installing a nearly totally custom Linux build on the above said system. Easy as cake. Then play games on it. They will actually play :D.

DJFyrewolf36
02-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Thats true. Try installing Vista or Windows 7 on a Pentium III Celeron with 512MBs of RAM and a Geforce 6200. That would be fun.
Now, try installing a nearly totally custom Linux build on the above said system. Easy as cake. Then play games on it. They will actually play :D.

If you want a real challenge try getting Vista to run on a 32mb Matrox video card...I did it! Honestly, I expected vista to complely fail on me but it ran rather stable all things considered. I ran vista on my main computer rather stabily until I started having hardware issues and then vista stopped working properly. All in all, I would say vista has its share of problems but with a little bit of work it does what it needs to do. Vista is a good OS for the average home user, and from what Ive seen Windows 7 will be even better.

Microsoft knows they will never claim the power user market, and have stopped catering to them in my opinion. I don't forsee any windows releases built with power users in mind coming out anytime soon.

Sirrahsim
02-01-2009, 12:16 PM
I have 64 bit Vista and my husband has 32bit. We have had a few minor issues, but nothing that wasn't easily fixed with a little bit of tinkering.

ChrisH
02-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Thanks for your very valuable input everyone.

I have researched and read much in the vein of kokopup's post and I needed to hear from PT day to day users on what they think and perhaps gain some reassurance. Which I have and I thank you.

I love the laptop I have now and have been loath to give it up but the time has come when I must. Not solely because of the screen failure a while ago - my solution is using an external monitor - but that plus just a 512mb ram and 40gb hard disk made my 'buy new' decision inevitable, and sooner rather than later.

As to Vista, I didn't have any choice in my buying area and price range, all come complete with Vista. I know Windows 7 is on its way but I wouldn't get it until it had been in use for a while and the bugs ironed out anyhow. And by then I hope to have saved up enough to get a Mac. :D

Thanks once again everyone. :D

p.s. If you are using Vista you may enjoy this website, it info, tips and ideas aplenty. :)

http://www.windowsvistamagazine.com/home.aspx

Hellow
02-01-2009, 02:45 PM
I love the laptop I have now and have been loath to give it up but the time has come when I must. Not solely because of the screen failure a while ago - my solution is using an external monitor - but that plus just a 512mb ram and 40gb hard disk made my 'buy new' decision inevitable, and sooner rather than later.

My desktop has /less than/ that, yet I still use it daily and even play games on it :).

ChrisH
02-06-2009, 06:30 AM
I have my new laptop with Vista up and running and so far I am very pleased, in fact I don't find it that different from using XP.
Transferring files from my XP laptop was easy, all my progams work - even those that shouldn't. :) It is a lot faster, though that could be because of the laptop itself rather than Vista.

I'm a happy camper. :D

Logan
02-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Glad it all worked out for you, Chris. We have Vista on Scott's laptop and Helen's laptop. All the computers I use still have XP but moving between them has not been hard for me.