PDA

View Full Version : Volunteering is a rewarding experience

I_love_cats
09-19-2002, 03:02 PM
I can tell you from my experience being a volunteer, it is very rewarding, fun and exciting. I meet new people everyday and I have talk to very nice people. You will never regret what you are doing, the cats enjoy having somebody come in and groomed them, I make them feel happy. It's been a year sine I been at the Humane Society. There are some happy endingd where cats that have been at the shelter a long time then finally get adopted. We don't put cats down; we try to find every cat a home unless they are too sick, injured or too wild which will be to difficult for the cat to adjust. If there are anyone looking for a cat or a kitten and you are from Toronto Ontairo Canada or live close by then come down to the shelter and you will see many cats and kittens waiting to be adopted. Here the website where you can see animals that are waiting for a home, http://www.torontohumanesociety.com. Right now it is only $20. I adopted all my cats from the shelter. I want to tell everyone that they should volunteer at there shelter, you be happy that you are helping the cats and all the staff will be soo glad you are part of the team.

aly
09-23-2002, 05:08 PM
Volunteering at the humane societies in my area has been the most rewarding experience of my life. No matter where my life takes me, I will always make sure there is a shelter close by so I can continue with the incredible experience for the rest of my life.

Fuzzy317
09-23-2002, 06:34 PM
I have not volunteered at a shelter or Humane Society, but Vi Co Bi and I have helped with a few dog transports (to help take some great dogs to a caring foster home). Currently, we are fostering a 6 month old Great Dane puppy, named Asgrim. I can tell that doing those things have reduced my stress, and I have a better outlook on life and the world in general. :)

Here is the thread about Asgrim:

Dog Rescue: My First Foster (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15057)

moosmom
09-30-2002, 05:17 PM
Well, I found a non-profit animal group out of Trenton, MI called HEADS (Helping Every Animal Down River Society) and am going to my first meeting one week from Wednesday. I told myself I was going to wait one year because of the burn-out I suffered in Connecticut. I guess it's in my blood and miss it more than I'm willing to admit.

When I was volunteering in Connecticut, I was taken for granted by this one group in particular. (Driving 30 minutes one way to the President's house to clean cages when there was another volunteer right around the corner, etc.) But as Eleanor Roosevelt said "NO ONE CAN TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOU UNLESS YOU ALLOW THEM TO". That's when I said ENOUGH!!

I told the woman from HEADS about it and she asked me if I was sure I didn't want to wait a little longer. I said no, that I love working on fund-raising and have alot of great ideas to share. HEADS has regular adoption days 3 days a week. It will also give me the opportunity to meet new people and make new friends (going home EMPTY HANDED OF COURSE!!).

I find volunteering and working with animals very rewarding. It also makes me appreciate my brood alot. I'll let you know how the meeting went.

I_love_cats
10-01-2002, 09:53 AM
It is hard being a volunteering and it is sad too. Since I've been volunteering I adopted two cats from the shelter. I feel sorry for the cats that have been there for a long time and the cats that are older. I would do my volunteering for a long time because I love it. Everyone should try and volunteer at there Humane Society. You will never reget what you are doing for the animals. Maybe in time, i will get a job at the shelter.

I_love_cats
02-04-2003, 10:43 PM
Right at my shelter there not as many cats now due to the colder weather, it always get slower after christmas. But I am ready for the spring with their are lots of kittens and cats. I would love to foster cats and kittens but I have three cats and one is a handful. Everyone should try and volunteer, it is soo fun. I get to groomed the cats and play with the kittens and hold them and some cats lay in my lap. It's soo exciting.

neko1
02-05-2003, 07:00 AM
When i was 16 my friend and i volunteered at the local shelter. It was a really rewarding experience. And now i work for a vet, which is also rewarding!