PDA

View Full Version : 15 inches of Snow And No Food In The House

lizbud
01-28-2009, 01:16 PM
The weather man predicted heavy snow last night & I ignored the
warning & did'nt run out for groceries. They predict tons on snow all
the time & then it doesn't happen. But this time, it did.:eek:

I dug out my driveway & got the car maybe 15 ft before I got stuck.
With the help of two kind neighbors who helped push & shovel , I made
it to the store & back home.Thank heavens for good neighbors.:D

http://www.theindychannel.com/weather/18582163/detail.html

Barbara
01-28-2009, 01:33 PM
This sounds bad- but I hope you have now enough stuff (like canned beans etc) that helps you at least to survive.
Did you buy cat food? I hope so ;)

Randi
01-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Liz, I'm glad you managed to get to the store and back - hope you stocked up! :) Whatever bad weather we have here, I'll always be able to walk to a supermarket. I could not do without milk. ;)

jennielynn1970
01-28-2009, 04:01 PM
I know how you feel, lol. We got a ton of snow here (for us anyway), and I had no cash to go food shopping. SO.... toasted cheese and tomato soup is the menu for the day, lol.

lizbud
01-28-2009, 04:23 PM
This sounds bad- but I hope you have now enough stuff (like canned beans etc) that helps you at least to survive.
Did you buy cat food? I hope so ;)

Well, I did have 1/2 loaf of bread & jar of peanut butter.:)

Yes, I did stock up on cat food & had to settle for a different kind of
dog chow. The pups liked it, so I guess it wasn't to bad.I stocked up
on everything , so I'm good now. :)

lizbud
01-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Liz, I'm glad you managed to get to the store and back - hope you stocked up! :) Whatever bad weather we have here, I'll always be able to walk to a supermarket. I could not do without milk. ;)

My grocery was not that far, but I could never carry all the stuff home.
The snow is up to my knees. :D

ramanth
01-28-2009, 05:02 PM
Wow!! We only got around 2 inches last night but it sure did add up to what's already on the ground.

Marigold2
01-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Lots and lots of snow here in Ohio. Had to go to work today, when you work for a Dr there is no such thing as not going in because of bad weather. Same goes for all the brave firefighters and police plus scores of others.

Karen
01-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Glad you made it out and back safely. We had snow that turned from powder to sugar snow to ice then to rain - so storm drains are blocked with the ice, and streets all over the city are flooded. I :love: my CRV - extra ground clearance is a GOOD thing.

Medusa
01-28-2009, 06:15 PM
I feel for ya. I knew the storm was coming so I stocked up on groceries yesterday. We got a ton of snow and I'm hoping my plow guy is going to show or I won't be able to get out tomorrow. It's times like this that I'm glad my office is in home.

lizbud
01-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Wow!! We only got around 2 inches last night but it sure did add up to what's already on the ground.

Really? I thought the storm moved East & North of Indiana. 2 inches
of snow is more my speed.:)

Karen, ground clearance is a VERY good thing.

4 Dog Mother
01-28-2009, 09:30 PM
We got lots of snow last snow, today too but not 15 inches. The neighbor cleaned out the drive with his snow blower (Carl leaves at 5:00 in the morning and doesn't do much cleaning out of snow before he goes.) I was surprised at how bad the city streets were - at least the Main Street of town which it seems should have been one of the first cleared. I made it to work (thank God I have an SUV) but the parking lot never got plowed nor either of the two streets the church sits between. I left about 1:00 because I really did not want to get snowed in there by myself. Of course, after I got home, the snow stopped and the crews had gotten Main St. cleaned up quite a bit. But that's okay I just got more dog and grandkid time!

RICHARD
01-28-2009, 11:00 PM
We had 14 feet of sunshine today!:eek::rolleyes:

I always make sure I have at least a Cup of Soup for emergencies.:rolleyes:

OR frozen Mac and Cheese....GAK!:D

sparks19
01-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Ugh we got about four inches of snow and then ice and then rain and then the rain froze so everything is coated in ice.But it's actually quite warm and sunny today so hopefully that gets rid of most of the ice at least.

lizbud
01-29-2009, 04:53 PM

I always make sure I have at least a Cup of Soup for emergencies.:rolleyes:

OR frozen Mac and Cheese....GAK!:D

Oh hush about your danged sunshine.:)

I had enough food for me to last a few days, but had zero dog chow
and 1 single can of cat food.:eek: My critters would have me killed,
skinned & eaten the same day..:D

Medusa
01-29-2009, 05:16 PM

I got your sunshine right here, pal. :rolleyes: I can't even get to my firewood. We got all that snow, then sleet, so it froze everything, now more snow is on the way. I've been fairly housebound because of the bathroom remodel (please don't ask; I'm liable to start shrieking) so I'm sure I've gained weight because there's nothing to do but eat. Can't get my work done, can't watch TV, can't read due to all the noise and dust and commotion. I had to tell a client that I'd get back to her in a few days. That's always good for business. Surprisingly, the Fur Posse is as calm as can be. So I've got that goin' for me. Sunshine. Yes, I'd love some, please. :(

lute
01-29-2009, 05:38 PM
I'm so glad you got to the store ok! We got a foot of snow here. I'm about 3 hours south west of you. We didn't stock up a whole lot either. Our weatherman is always wrong. It's ok though! We live one block from our town grocery store. I walked. I did get a face full of snow on my way back home.:o

We are suppose to get another inch of snow tonight too. A lot of trees and power lines are down because of ice. A lot of people around here don't have power or phones. Won't either until the middle of next month. We were very lucky and still have our power and phone. I feel so bad for everyone with no heat.

phesina
01-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Here's what will probably happen if you don't have enough pet food on hand during such times:

G535
01-30-2009, 02:05 AM
We don't get snow in my part of Australia but I was under the impression that it was common sense to keep more than one or two days worth of food in the house. The cat and I would survive for up to six months if we had to.

lizbud
01-30-2009, 09:00 AM
Here's what will probably happen if you don't have enough pet food on hand during such times:

LOL :D I love that cartoon. It's very true too.:p

Medusa
01-30-2009, 09:03 AM

This person knows cats. :p

phesina
01-30-2009, 05:32 PM
It's the "Mutts" comic strip. The guy who does it, Patrick McDonnell, REALLY knows cats!

RICHARD
01-30-2009, 05:50 PM
BTW,

I'll probably be varnished instead of embalmed, my skin will be so tough from the UV rays.....;)

I havve always loved MUTTS. It's a grand old strip!

Craftlady
01-30-2009, 10:36 PM
We got slammed here in Kentucky. In our area 8 inches of snow with at least 2 inches of sleet/freezing rain build up. Power outages for over a day for many. Thankfully, only 3 hrs for us. Tomorrow we will have our driveway dug out. It looks like a war zone around town with all the down limbs from the ice build up. Schools have been closed since Tuesday. If I here freezing rain/sleet forcast anytime soon, I'm going to scream.

RICHARD
01-30-2009, 11:12 PM
HOw can I put 15 inches of sun where it don't shine?

Explain that one to me, please?:confused:;)

Medusa
01-31-2009, 07:04 AM
It's felt like the frozen tundra here for weeks now and we're supposed to get more snow in a couple of days. I've had my driveway plowed four times in one week. It's the animals that I feel sorry for. When it was -15, even the birds didn't come out to feed. When the temp finally went above zero, they ate everything I put out, birdseed, bread crumbs, left over Christmas cookies, gone in a day. The squirrels eat the dried ears of corn so fast it's scary. There's also a tuxie that comes around occasionally and last week I saw him sniffing at the bird seed that fell on the ground, so I put out some cat food but he didn't touch it. I also put out a warm shelter but he didn't go in so he must belong to someone but who would let their cat out in such awful, brutal weather?