PDA

View Full Version : How do you say no?

JustineNYC
01-26-2009, 01:42 PM
I had to run to Petsmart for some shampoo, and I made the mistake of going over to their cages. Omigosh. My weakness is fat orange males! And what do you know....the most handsome orange male, neutered, 2 years old just laying there. He looked so miserable.

His story said he was a stray and this restaurants staff started feeding and befriending him. He certainly wasnt feral, but all the cats, you can just tell they need homes. They had another beautiful calico.

I am at my max with 7, and I just tell myself, I can take in 50 more and theyll be another 50 that need homes.

What a pretty boy he was.

Kudos to PetSmart for giving all the cats fresh water, food and a clean litter. As far as I can see they arent making anything off these cats, his adoption fee was only 50$ and he was already neutered.

I came home and hugged my guys extra tight!

kb2yjx
01-26-2009, 02:13 PM
O that is so hard to do!!! But good for you!! Maybe you can make a donation to the rescue group that that Orangeman belongs to !!!!

catmandu
01-26-2009, 03:49 PM
:(:( I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL , AS THERE WAS A DROP DEAD GORGEOUS OWESOME ORANGE CAT CHEDD-AR :love::love: AT THE SPCA ADOPT A THON AT PETCETERA ON JANUARY 17TH.
HE HAD SUCH A HAPPY MRRRREEEEEEOOOOOWWW :love::love: AND A ORANGE CAT PURRSONALITY , AND AT 3 WAS GOOD FOR MANY YEARS TO GO.:):)
AND I HAD TO LEAVE CHEDD-AR :love::love: BEHIND.
I PRAY THAT CHEDD-AR FOUND HIS PLACE IN THE SUN.

wolflady
01-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Oh gosh, it is hard isn't it? I am glad places like PetSmart partner with local animal shelters to try and get our furries friends new homes. :) Lord knows the shelters can use all the help they can get.

momcat
01-27-2009, 06:02 PM
At times one of my friends and I go to our local Pet Smart on our lunch hour. I always tell her to keep my cash and credit card otherwise I'll be tempted to adopt EVERYONE!

The kitties are so well cared for at Pet Smart. One day while we were there one of the staff came in. One by one she took the kitty out of the cage then held and hugged each kitty while softly talking to each one. Plenty of individual attention was given. Way to go, Pet Smart!

JustineNYC
01-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Believe me, their cages were spotless. Everyone had food, water, a clean litter and a bed to lay on. Naturally most were asleep. But you dont see that with Pet stores. There was a pet store in NY that I turned in many many times. It was filthy and the animals were always sick, sneezing, runny eyes. The cats always had 18 balls of poop in their litter, and you know cats hate that. And most of them were pedigrees. If you arent going to maintain the animals you shouldnt be allowed to sell them.

Im pretty sure Petco, which is over here too also has cats for adoption, although I didnt go over when I was in there because normally I know better. There did have cages in there.

JuniorxMyxLove
01-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Oh isn't it hard?!

Yesterday, at the shelter (not petsmart, oh well) I fell in love with this grey kitten named Mittens :love: She was soo cute! I opened her cage to give her some love and she all but leapt into my arms! :love:

I'm supposed to be helping out at the Petsmart adoptions soon...I dunno how I'm going to manage that, lol.

jenluckenbach
01-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Petsmart really deserves a pat on the back for allowing the adoption space in their stores. not only do they make no money from the adoptions, but they DONATE money to the rescue group for every animal adopted from its adoption center.

It is the rescue group in charge that keeps the cages clean and the animals fed and watered. And that means 2 to 3 times each day, 7 days a week! All volunteer.
but the animals benefit, and that is the great part.

While it may be very hard to say NO to adopting another pet, there are a lot of ways you can still help.

Donate your time or money to the rescue group in charge of your local Petsmart adoption center.

Don Juan's mom
01-28-2009, 03:24 AM
I adopted Zerlina from our local Petsmart. In addition to a pretty black kitty, I got a fistful of store coupons... most of which I used. :rolleyes:

Clever! ;)

orangemm
01-28-2009, 04:36 AM
Archy & Binky came from PetSmart, too. We decided to adopt in 2000 because our last guy was alone and we missed having multiple cats.

At first we were only going to adopt Archy, but someone called and asked us if we would take his brother Binky (who we had considered), we couldn't say no!

It was a happy day when we brought them home.:) And, it's still happy days here with them.:love:

I know the feeling, though....I always go visit the adoption center.

Medusa
01-29-2009, 07:54 AM
I can't even go to PetSmart when adoptions are going on. I can't go to the shelters or Humane Society either. I just can't take the heartache any more. I rescued for a long time and while I know I brought comfort to many cats, I still didn't even make a dent in the overpopulation. I still donate and do what I can to help but I can't go to those places because I want to bring every cat and dog home.

Don Juan's mom
01-29-2009, 12:50 PM
I can't even go to PetSmart when adoptions are going on. I can't go to the shelters or Humane Society either. I just can't take the heartache any more. I rescued for a long time and while I know I brought comfort to many cats, I still didn't even make a dent in the overpopulation. I still donate and do what I can to help but I can't go to those places because I want to bring every cat and dog home.

I know what you mean. I have a friend who volunteers at a horse sanctuary, because if she volunteered at a shelter she'd end up taking ALL the animals home. (She wants to take the horses and donkeys home, too, but the size of her yard keeps her from doing that.)

Liz