PDA

View Full Version : Did a computer stupid...need backup restore help!

Catty1
01-25-2009, 01:42 PM
In short - I burned backup files from a client's computer using a program he had on the computer. Ashampoo. (never mind)

When the rebuild was done, the program was gone. NP - I downloaded it onto my home computer, and his as well.

WHen I open the program and click to restore, it tells me to insert the DVD and the files will automatically appear in the list. NOPE.

I can select remotely, but the file is not carried forward into the next window of the program to select and restore. That's because it doesn't appear in the official "list" in the previous window.

They are read-only files, if that's any help.

OMG - what do I do????:( :eek:

Hellow
01-25-2009, 01:58 PM
You burned backup files to a DVD, and now you need to restore them? When you place the DVD inside the computer, the DVD should show up in Explorer as whatever you named it as. Then you can just copy-paste the files back to the computer.

Edit: I made a idiots mistake, correcting.

Catty1
01-25-2009, 04:08 PM
I'll try, Reggie - but they are still in the Ashampoo format.

Can't hurt, though....thanks.

Catty1
01-25-2009, 05:57 PM
I wound up emailing the support area of the company.

Three tech buds of mine were called on...changing the extension to .zip or trying to open with 7zip did no good at all.

Two of the techs totally dissed Ashampoo as crap.

I am supposed to hear from the company within 48 hours. I am going back to the client's on Tuesday. :(

He might have lost all his data...it is not his main computer at all, but still, there are some documents he wanted saved.

Oh well - at least the original problem is fixed! :rolleyes: It runs great and the sound is excellent.

blue
01-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Your problem is one of the main reasons I got my home server, for backups. I got tired of losing everything when I did a fresh OS install.

Catty1
01-25-2009, 06:20 PM
blue, if I had saved it in a commonly used file type I wouldn't have this problem.

But I used an obscure program on the client's computer to back up the files, and I archived them as well. DUMB DUMB DUMB.

I have boot discs that I use for a clean install, as long as I have the client's reg key. Restoring the backups is easy...unless you do what I did.

G535
01-25-2009, 09:30 PM
You probably need the Ashampoo program installed to read/restore the files.

Oops, scrap that, I reread the original post.

You might need the exact version of the program that was used to do the backup.

Catty1
01-25-2009, 09:46 PM
G535 - Yes, I thought of that after a friend mentioned it...

Will look for all such programs with "6" in them....

Who knows? Could work!:)