PDA

View Full Version : Obama dissed *Medal of Honor holders*, in favor of youth and celebs.

blue
01-24-2009, 10:36 PM
Commander in Chief gets off to a bad start.

Obama Snubs Nation's Heroes, Becomes the First President to Skip Ball Honoring Medal of Honor Recipients in Over 50 Years
Submitted by Julie on January 21, 2009 - 10:13pm. Elections Elections 2008 News Politics U.S. Government U.S. Politics World Politics

Barack Obama may have stumbled over his words briefly during his inauguration, but he made an even bigger blunder later Tuesday evening. The newly sworn-in President opted not to appear at what should have been one of the most important Balls on his agenda that evening - The Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball.

The Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball was begun in 1953 for President Dwight Eisenhower's inauguration. The event recognized recipients of the Medal of Honor, the nation's highest military award. There were 48 Medal of Honor recipients in attendance, who were undoubtedly disappointed by the Commander-in-Chief's failure to show. Over the past 56 years and 14 inaugurations, no President has skipped this event - until now.

The Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball is sponsored by the American Legion, and co-sponsored by 13 other veteran's service organizations, including those such as the Paralyzed Veterans of America and the Military Order of the Purple Heart.

Instead of attending this ball honoring our nation's heroes, Obama was busy making stops at 10 other official balls. Obama and his wife's first stop was at the Neighborhood Ball. From there they went to the Home State Ball for Illinois and Hawaii, the Commander-in-Chief Ball, the Youth Inaugural Ball, and the Home State Ball for Delaware and Pennsylvania. They finished off the night with brief appearances at the Mid-Atlantic, Western, Midwest, Eastern, and Southern regional Balls.

Celebrities were a plenty at the balls, with Stevie Wonder, Shakira, Mary. J. Blige, Faith Hill, Jay-Z, Alicia Keys, Adam Levine, will.i.am, Sting, Mariah Carey, and Leonardo DiCaprio in attendance at the Neighborhood Ball. In addition, the other nine balls also featured a star-studded lineup including Kanye West and Kid Rock at the Youth Ball, Marc Anthony at the Western Ball, and Cheryl Crow at the Western Ball.

It was the party without all of the celebrities that Obama skipped. The very people who he sought to have support him during his candidacy and campaign, who have fought to protect this country, were snubbed in favor of publicity and the opportunity to rub shoulders - yet again - with the out-of-touch Hollywood elite.

Whomever on Obama's staff planned what balls he attended should have been fired that night if not before.

Karen
01-24-2009, 11:26 PM
Yes, I am sure some staffer planned that schedule ... and will hopefully get demoted, if not fired.

sasvermont
01-25-2009, 07:42 AM
I assume we will be seeing the same folks gripe about every little move Obama makes.

Hopefully, many of the folks who did not get a personal visit at their ball, will understand that Obama could attend only so many balls and they were big enough to share him with others.

I am not defending his decision, just wondering how big of a deal this really ended up being............:rolleyes::rolleyes:

lizbud
01-25-2009, 09:34 AM
I am not defending his decision, just wondering how big of a deal this really ended up being............:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Apparently it was a big deal to "Julie", whoever that is.:) They did visit a
military ball. I saw film clips of Obama dancing with a female Army person
and Mrs Obama danced with a male Navy officer.

http://dc.about.com/od/specialevents/a/inauguralballs.htm

Twisterdog
01-25-2009, 04:33 PM
They did visit a military ball. I saw film clips of Obama dancing with a female Army person and Mrs Obama danced with a male Navy officer.

http://dc.about.com/od/specialevents/a/inauguralballs.htm

Yes, I remember watching them at a miliatary ball, also.

How much can you do in one night, realistically. I'm sure there were other balls they didn't attend as well. There's only 24 hours in a day.

RICHARD
01-25-2009, 04:58 PM
And 57 States.

blue
01-25-2009, 06:26 PM
The Medal of Honor Ball has a 50 year history. Whatever staffer thought that the Youth Ball was more important then honoring MOH members needs a new job and the new POTUS should have his head examined for pissing them off on his first day on the job.

Make all the excuses you want. Chosing 18-35 year olds over those who earned a Medal of Honor was a bad move.

Grace
01-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Perhaps he was not given a choice? Perhaps he was handed a list of places where he was to make an appearance? Perhaps no one informed him of all the possibilities?

lizbud
01-25-2009, 07:28 PM
Yes, I remember watching them at a miliatary ball, also.

How much can you do in one night, realistically. I'm sure there were other balls they didn't attend as well. There's only 24 hours in a day.

Agreed. I believe this ball was the one I saw of them them dancing.:)

"Commander-in-Chief's Inaugural Ball - National Building Museum, 401 F St. NW. The ball is in honor of the country's active duty and reserve military.

Invited guests included wounded warriors (Purple Heart recipients), families of fallen heroes, and spouses of deployed military. Tickets were provided free of charge to all invited guests. This event was not open to the general public.

It was broadcast to American troops around the world on the Pentagon Channel, which is available via cable on 368 military bases and on commercial cable and satellite services throughout the United States. "

sasvermont
01-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Hmmmmmmm. I wonder how the stories get so distorted? :confused:

blue
01-25-2009, 07:59 PM
Perhaps he was not given a choice?

He is the POTUS, why would he not have a choice? If Clinton could attend 14 Obama could have attended 11.

Did the MOH holders not donate enough or voluteer enough of their time to Obama's campaign? Did the 18-35 year olds buy his appearance to their ball with their donations and time?

Agreed. I believe this ball was the one I saw of them them dancing.

"Commander-in-Chief's Inaugural Ball - National Building Museum, 401 F St. NW. The ball is in honor of the country's active duty and reserve military.

Invited guests included wounded warriors (Purple Heart recipients), families of fallen heroes, and spouses of deployed military. Tickets were provided free of charge to all invited guests. This event was not open to the general public.

It was broadcast to American troops around the world on the Pentagon Channel, which is available via cable on 368 military bases and on commercial cable and satellite services throughout the United States. "

Thier are many active and retired American Troops who are very angry that Obama snubbed the MOH holders Ball in favor of the Youth Ball.

The MOH Ball, actual name is The Salute to Heroes Ball, has a 56 year history, the Commander in Chief Ball has a 4 year history. Tradition means alot to military personel, active and retired. I have to say Im suprised Obama would continue a tradition started by Bush and not one started in 1953.

My original title for this thread has failed, I will fix that.

jennielynn1970
01-25-2009, 08:27 PM
Does it happen every year? Can he go next year?

Seriously, like someone else said, there are only so many things one can do in 24hrs.

He may be president, but who ever does his scheduling, I'm pretty sure you have to go by that schedule since that's how they know where he will be and know where to have security. He can't just say "Oh, I think I'll just skip this and go where I want to go." Things are organized very specifically when you're in a public office and need security.

It's not like he just stopped and got pizza instead. :p

blue
01-25-2009, 08:39 PM
If he didnt know the schedule or able to change it well in advance, we are probably in more trouble then the Tinfoil Hatters are predicting.

If Clinton could attend 14, Obama could have done 11. Or the 18-35 year olds could have settled for an honorable mention.

Spin it however you want, he pissed of alot of the people he commands.

Grace
01-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Spin it however you want, he pissed of alot of the people he commands.

Well, we know he p.o. you for one, just by being elected.

Perhaps I will write a letter to the President, asking why he did not attend that particular ball. Will let you know, when and/or if I receive a reply.

blue
01-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Well, we know he p.o. you for one, just by being elected.

Perhaps I will write a letter to the President, asking why he did not attend that particular ball. Will let you know, when and/or if I receive a reply.

To be honest Ild be pissed for the next 4 years if McCain had gotten elected and would be posting this type of thing as well.

Actually Im more POed that people are trying to spin this off of the POTUS and making excuses for him.

Grace
01-25-2009, 09:37 PM
To be honest Ild be pissed for the next 4 years if McCain had gotten elected and would be posting this type of thing as well.

So you're p*ssed that Obama was elected, and you would have been p*ssed if McCain had been elected. Did you vote for one of the 3rd party candidates - or did you not vote for that particular office?

blue
01-25-2009, 09:49 PM
So you're p*ssed that Obama was elected, and you would have been p*ssed if McCain had been elected. Did you vote for one of the 3rd party candidates - or did you not vote for that particular office?

Im not pissed that BO got elected, yet. With his cabinet and what he has proposed as "change" for this country this still could be a very angry four years for me.

At the end I was pissed McCain was the repug canidate and would have been very angry if he had been elected, he would have been a lame duck from day one.

I voted Libertarian for the first time last year.

sasvermont
01-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Whomever on Obama's staff planned what balls he attended should have been fired that night if not before.

I think there must be more important things to worry about than this. Really. I think you are making mountains out of molehills.

:rolleyes:

blue
01-25-2009, 09:58 PM
I think there must be more important things to worry about than this. Really. I think you are making mountains out of molehills.

Im actually much more calm about this then many of those currently serving our country, then again Im not the one who has Obama as a commander.

This molehill, as you put it, could just be the foothills of much more.

Edwina's Secretary
01-25-2009, 10:00 PM

Ya think? Like bringing home the troops from a stupid, needless war?

Like restoring habeus corpus?

Like working toward solving the economic crisis?

Nah...it is all about at what ball he did or did not dance....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

blue
01-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Ya think? Like bringing home the troops from a stupid, needless war?

So the troops can fight the enemy here?

Like restoring habeas corpus?

Other then John Walker Lihn, what American lost their habeus corpus rights?

Edit: I hope you werent trying to make the suspension of habeas corpus unique to the previous administration? There is previous precedent for the suspension of HC.

Like working toward solving the economic crisis?

By making it worse with a trillian dollar "stimulus" package?

Nah...it is all about at what ball he did or did not dance....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes, allienating those whom you command makes absolutly no difference when you spin it. Im sorry but that was a big mistake to make within 24 hours of taking office. Even Clinton was smarter then that. Bush was much smarter then that by starting the Commander in Chiefs Ball.

Lets not get into the hypocrisy of Obama using Lincoln's bible to take the Oath of Office.

blue
01-25-2009, 11:16 PM

And FWIW, we had to deal with 8 years of excuses for Clinton as well as the formation of MoveOn.org, that will not move on, as well as the Democraticunderground.

Then we had to deal with the above mentioned websites as well as the MSM disrespecting and attacking the POTUS for the following 8 years.

Ive had to deal with it for 16 years, so give me a break and take it. :)

Reachoutrescue
01-26-2009, 12:52 AM
When I heard about him not attending the ball it angered me as well. I really think he should have been there. My cousin was over seas fighting for our freedom, and my brother-in-law is being sent over seas in August....just out of training!! I have a police friend that received a Medal Of Honors, as well as a friend whom actually gave me his medal 2 yrs ago because he wanted to be rid of everything war (Operation Iraqi Freedom, Salad, Iraq; '04-'05, LFT 129, Drive The Wedge Medal), and both these wonderful men are very angry about this.

Obama not attending this very important ball (which has been around longer than he has been alive) that honors those who have put their lives on the line for our freedom and stood by him through the election is just not right. Maybe he did not make the schedule, but I am sure he looked it over. I am sure he knew about the MOH Ball. Wouldn't you think he would say "hey, I have to at least show my face here"?

I am not trying to add fuel to this fire of a thread, but this is just my opinion. Nothing more. Whether it was right or wrong, his doing or not...it is merely my opinion...so please do not judge me by it.

I have heard Obama promise a lot. This just makes me wonder how much he truly plans to deliver. Or does he feel that promises are made to be broken?

moosmom
01-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Right on Sallyanne and Edwina's Secretary!!!

People need to choose their battles wisely. I really don't think Obama did it maliciously. Like Twisterdog said, you can only do so much in such a short time.

lizbud
01-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Im not pissed that BO got elected, yet. With his cabinet and what he has proposed as "change" for this country this still could be a very angry four years for me.

You are not PO but, you will be angry for 4 years?

It's beginning to look like being PO'd is a permmant condition with you.

Grace
01-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Oh Blue - just turn on Rush and Sean. You'll feel better in no time at all.

If this is the only thing you can focus on right now, you should count yourself lucky.

Puckstop31
01-26-2009, 02:21 PM

If this is the only thing you can focus on right now, you should count yourself lucky.

Not Sean... He is an embarrassment, but he is who he is and his audience is quite loyal. But Rush, love him or hate him IS an important part of the national dialog. You know, "dissent being the highest form of patriotism" and all.... Shame our new President thinks such speech should be ignored, in the spirt of unity. Dictators are born in such ways.

Grace
01-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Not Sean... He is an embarrassment, but he is who he is and his audience is quite loyal. But Rush, love him or hate him IS an important part of the national dialog. You know, "dissent being the highest form of patriotism" and all.... Shame our new President thinks such speech should be ignored, in the spirt of unity. Dictators are born in such ways.

IMVHO, Rush is nothing but a large blowhard. And I've held that opinion for many years. Once upon a time we listened to him on a semi-regular basis; even read one of his books. Now though, I'm with the President; I'd sooner ignore him, and his bloviating.

Puckstop31
01-26-2009, 03:08 PM
IMVHO, Rush is nothing but a large blowhard. And I've held that opinion for many years. Once upon a time we listened to him on a semi-regular basis; even read one of his books. Now though, I'm with the President; I'd sooner ignore him, and his bloviating.

Fair enough... Ignore him if you don't want to listen. But be wary of President Obama's administration doing things to keep people like him off the air. I am keeping my eyes and ears open for anything like the "fairness doctrine" coming into play from the President or the FCC. Such a thing would be the polar opposite of the "unity" he talks about. Or did he mean "unity as long as you agree with me?"

Like them or hate them... We all should be scared to death of any form of government squashing speech in the name of "fairness". Never forget that two things most dictators do is control the media and remove the ability of the people to possess arms.

sasvermont
01-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Obama Blows Off Medal of Honor Recipients... Not Exactly
News Type: Event — Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:10 AM EST

Upon reading a Newsvine user's seed of a blog that used unsourced information that said the following:

According to TSO who was at the “Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball”, this newly sworn-in President for the first time in 56 years blew off the ball (that’s 14 Inaugurations).

Some background on the ball;

The American Legion sponsors the ball, which recognizes recipients of Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award. It started in 1953 for President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s first inauguration.

Event co-sponsors include 13 other veterans service organizations, among them the Military Order of the Purple Heart and the Paralyzed Veterans of America.

So where was our new President instead of honoring Medal of Honor recipients who by some miracle are still alive? According to Huffington Post, this was his schedule for Inaugural celebrations;

Later that day, the Presidential Inaugural Committee will host 10 official inaugural balls:

— Neighborhood Inaugural Ball at the Washington Convention Center.

— Obama Home States (Illinois and Hawaii) Inaugural Ball at the Washington Convention Center.

— Biden Home States (Pennsylvania and Delaware) Inaugural Ball at the Washington Convention Center.

— Midwest Inaugural Ball at the Washington Convention Center.

— Mid-Atlantic Inaugural Ball at the Washington Convention Center.

— Western Inaugural Ball at the Washington Convention Center.

— Commander in Chief’s Ball at the National Building Museum.

— Southern Inaugural Ball at the National Guard Armory.

— Eastern Inaugural Ball at Union Station.

— Youth Inaugural Ball at the Washington Hilton.

Unofficial balls include:

— Congressional Black Caucus Inaugural Ball at the Capitol Hilton.

— Creative Coalition Inaugural Ball at the Harman Center for the Arts.

— Recording Industry Association of America’s ball for Feeding America.

— BET’s Inaugural Ball at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel.

— Africa on the Potomac inaugural celebration at Crystal Gateway Marriott in Arlington, Va.

— American Music Inaugural Ball at the Marriott Wardman Park Hotel.

— Inaugural Purple Ball at the Fairmont Hotel.

— Human Rights Campaign’s Equality Ball at the Renaissance Mayflower Hotel.

— Inaugural Peace Ball at the Smithsonian National Postal Museum.

— Impact Film Fund ball.

Mr. Wolf from Blackfive sends along this link to which Inaugural Balls Obama actually attended last night.

Source

Blackfive, which I read occasionally for military pieces, confirmed that President Obama did not come to the inaugural ball. So I became curious because the only two sources were two blogs and one source that consisted of initials. Therefore, I did what any rational person would do: I contacted the American Legion to get the straight story from the people who would know. I was put in contact with a very pleasant gentleman named Craig Roberts who is the American Legion's Media Relations Manager and after our conversation he e-mailed me this statement which I will include in its entirety:

In answer to your inquiry:

The American Legion, as it has on every inauguration evening since 1953, hosted the Salute to Heroes Inaugural Banquet & Ball on January 20th. The quadrennial event is co-sponsored with fourteen veterans service and military service organizations and honors recipients of the Medal of Honor. Forty-seven of these heroes attended this year’s event which was held in the Renaissance Washington DC Hotel.

President Obama was invited but did not attend. Vice-President Joe Biden did appear, however, and was very warmly received. The new President’s absence was understandable considering the unprecedented logistical challenges presented by the vastly increased number of visitors to this inauguration and the necessary attendant security measures. The American Legion, as an organization, does not feel offended or “snubbed.”

Thank you,

Craig Roberts

Media Relations Manager

The American Legion

1608 K Street, NW

Washington, DC 20006

202.263.2982 (direct)

First of all, I would like to thank Mr. Roberts for taking my call and taking the time to compose this statement so that I can share it on behalf of the American Legion. So to those fellow Obama supporters that think this ball did not happen, it did. It was omitted from the media outlets it was omitted from because of logistical challenges due to the extraordinary number of people that flooded Washington D.C. to see Barack Obama be inaugurated as the 44th president and it is not yet on the American Legion's website (as I type this at 8:30 A.M. on 1-23-09) because of some difficulties in updating the website. However, there will be media coverage of the event forthcoming.

I have found out also that the likely reason that Barack Obama attended the auxiliary balls that he did is because six of the balls that he attended were held in the same building. Therefore, attending those balls and the others that he attended were the most efficient with regards to security. It is no secret that President Obama has had questions surrounding his security, that is evident by observing that he was the earliest presidential candidate ever to get a security detail. If the Secret Service felt it prudent to guard him so early in the campaign can the reader imagine what the Secret Service feels is prudent now that he is the President of the United States?

The most likely reason that President Obama did not go to the "Salute to Heroes" inaugural ball is because it was held in the Renaissance Hotel which consists of 16 floors. There was an event called the "Illinois Party - Presidential Event" held at the Renaissance the night before that the then-President-elect did not attend either (I have a call in to the President's press office asking for confirmation of this information which was given to me by one of my sources for this story). Given the amount of time and resources it would have taken to clear a 16 floor hotel as well as protect it while President Obama was inside, I can only guess that he was advised by his Presidential Protection Detail not to attend either inaugural ball because of the building and the inherent problems in securing and then protecting it. The sheer number of people crowding the streets and staying in the hotel surely presented a formidable screening problem as well. But, there's your story... it's not as sexy as "Barack Obama Hates The Military" but it is the truth as best I can tell after talking to the organization responsible for hosting the event and doing some research and educated guesswork about why a security team wouldn't want to protect a principal in the Renaissance with more than 2 million extra people in Washington D.C.

Update: It would appear that, according to Stars & Stripes that Obama had some Medal of Honor recipients at an inaugural ball that he attended. This gives the number of living Medal of Honor recipients as 99, but I believe that two have passed away since that number was compiled leaving 97. There are 7 in this picture and there were 47 at the American Legion inaugural event. I'm curious if there were more at the event this photo was taken at.

Edwina's Secretary
01-26-2009, 03:37 PM
Gosh... so... Craig Roberts, Media Relations Manager of the The American Legion might be a more knowledgable source than Julie Nolastname?

Is it really possible that an anonymous poster on the internet might not be the best source on which to base your outrage...or anything else?

Let's go back to Obama isn't a US citizen because some crackpot attorney has filed a lawsuit...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Real issues anyone?

lizbud
01-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Thanks SAS for getting this info together. :)

blue
01-26-2009, 11:42 PM
You are not PO but, you will be angry for 4 years?

It's beginning to look like being PO'd is a permmant condition with you.

You quoted me but you must not have read what I wrote. Read it again, "could" and "will" are two very different things.

blue
01-26-2009, 11:45 PM

Stopped listening to both Rush and Hannety a while back, they only fuel the fire.

Ive got home improvements to focus on anyway, the ball I fear is only the tip of the iceberg.

blue
01-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Obama Blows Off Medal of Honor Recipients... Not Exactly

*Edit: Found your cut and paste. Edit* The DemocraticUnderground even acknowledged Obama skipped the Salute to Heroes Ball.

blue
01-26-2009, 11:55 PM
Gosh... so... Craig Roberts, Media Relations Manager of the The American Legion might be a more knowledgable source than Julie Nolastname?

Is it really possible that an anonymous poster on the internet might not be the best source on which to base your outrage...or anything else?

Let's go back to Obama isn't a US citizen because some crackpot attorney has filed a lawsuit...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Real issues anyone?

3 lawyers at minimum filed suits on this issue, McCain vetted himself while Obama spent thousands to shove his nationality under the carpet.

This topic isnt about issues, its about character.

blue
01-27-2009, 12:17 AM
Thanks SAS for getting this info together. :)

SAS did nothing but cut and paste.

A source, link (http://isaacs.newsvine.mobi/_news/2009/01/23/2345799-obama-blows-off-medal-of-honor-recipients-not-exactly).

Grace
01-27-2009, 10:38 AM
SAS did nothing but cut and paste.

Not exactly. She researched and found an answer from a reliable source. One with a last name, no less.

Edwina's Secretary
01-27-2009, 05:24 PM
3 lawyers at minimum filed suits on this issue, McCain vetted himself while Obama spent thousands to shove his nationality under the carpet.

This topic isnt about issues, its about character.

And Obama showed GREAT character. If you, I or anyone BORN IN ONE OF THE FIFTY UNITED STATES stoops to the level of some crackpot lawyer (or even three of them!) in order to PROVE we have citizenship - that is a lack of character in my book.

I was born in Indiana. It is one of the 50 states. I have a birth certificate and passport. Rest assured if anyone questioned my citizenship I would tell them to shove it someplace.

Just because someone wants to ask something does NOT mean I have to answer in order to show "character."

lizbud
01-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Not exactly. She researched and found an answer from a reliable source. One with a last name, no less.

If only the OP had done a little research before he posted, this thread
would have been much, much shorter.;)

blue
01-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Rest assured if anyone questioned my citizenship I would tell them to shove it someplace.

Great show of class and character. Is that what you do at the DMV, when you go to vote, or when you apply for a visa?

blue
01-27-2009, 08:14 PM
If only the OP had done a little research before he posted, this thread
would have been much, much shorter.;)

It probably would have been longer with more spin, and snide comments from the Obama supporters.

Tell me, why are 18-35 year olds more important then MOH holders? If you cant answer that question dont bother replying.

Grace
01-27-2009, 08:19 PM
What, exactly, is your problem? Did you read the article that Sasvermont posted? Did you read the comments contained therein?

blue
01-27-2009, 08:30 PM
What, exactly, is your problem? Did you read the article that Sasvermont posted? Did you read the comments contained therein?

I did read it and some of the comments. I also read comments from active and retired millitary memebers on other forums, they are very bent out of shape that 18-35 year olds were more important to the new CIC then MOH holders. Even the Commander in Chief Ball seems less important then the Salute to Heroes Ball, seeing as its a very recent tradition.

I know a few MOH holders and I find it insulting Obama would skip thier ball for a bunch of Gen Xers and celebs.

sasvermont
01-27-2009, 08:34 PM
GET OVER IT and move on.:rolleyes:

blue
01-27-2009, 08:38 PM
GET OVER IT and move on.:rolleyes:

Stop posting in this thread and maybe I will.

Maybe you have the answer.

Why are a bunch of Gen Xers and celebs more important then MOH holders?

jennielynn1970
01-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Maybe there should have just been ONE ball, and that way there wouldn't have been such an egregious amount of money spent on the other balls.

Honestly, I don't care what he attended, , and I do think you're blowing it out of proportion (no offense).

How do these people not rank as important?? I think it's the importance to the person that is attending them that matters. YOU can attend what you want, and Obama attended what he felt mattered most to him, as well as hitting all the "regional" balls (eastern, southern, midatlantic...).

— Congressional Black Caucus Inaugural Ball at the Capitol Hilton.

— Recording Industry Association of America’s ball for Feeding America.

— BET’s Inaugural Ball at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel.

— Africa on the Potomac inaugural celebration at Crystal Gateway Marriott in Arlington, Va.

— Human Rights Campaign’s Equality Ball at the Renaissance Mayflower Hotel.

— Inaugural Peace Ball at the Smithsonian National Postal Museum.

Edwina's Secretary
01-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Great show of class and character. Is that what you do at the DMV, when you go to vote, or when you apply for a visa?

No, because they are not idiots enough to question my passport or my birth certificates.

And thank you for the compliment!

Edwina's Secretary
01-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Stop posting in this thread and maybe I will.

Maybe you have the answer.

Why are a bunch of Gen Xers and celebs more important then MOH holders?

Sigh...because the Veterans Ball was being held in a location that could not be secured to the satisfaction of the secret service. It was in the article SAS quoted.

blue
01-27-2009, 09:07 PM
One ball would have been the appropriate thing to do with these ecconomic times, they tell us to tighten our belts and then spend an unprecedented ammount for the balls.

Im sorry that I hold more respect for MOH holders then I do for my fellow Gen Xers. Im finding insulting that many people, including the CIC, have more respect for my fellow Gen Xers then people who earned a MOH.

A friend of mine lost his leg for this country, earned a MOH. My late boss volunteered for 2 tours in Viet Nam, earned 2 Purple Hearts and a MOH, for this country. My generation is not more important.

The new CIC and POTUS disrespected generations of millitary personel in favor of a bunch of spoiled Gen X kids, Ild call that a character flaw.

blue
01-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Sigh...because the Veterans Ball was being held in a location that could not be secured to the satisfaction of the secret service. It was in the article SAS quoted.

BS, the SS could have pulled it off if Obama made it a priority.

Edwina's Secretary
01-27-2009, 09:09 PM
The new CIC and POTUS disrespected generations of millitary personel in favor of a bunch of spoiled Gen X kids, Ild call that a character flaw.

And I'd call your statement a total misstatement of the facts! Hmmm, is that a character flaw too?

blue
01-27-2009, 09:11 PM
No, because they are not idiots enough to question my passport or my birth certificates.

And thank you for the compliment!

There in lies the problem. Either that or you havent been to the DMV or gotten a passport in quite some time.

Edit: Yes I am calling the DMV workers idiots.

jennielynn1970
01-27-2009, 09:16 PM
One ball would have been the appropriate thing to do with these ecconomic times, they tell us to tighten our belts and then spend an unprecedented ammount for the balls.

Exactly what I meant. That's what I think should have been done.

Grace
01-27-2009, 09:19 PM
I think we should all just leave him to his misery right now.

blue
01-27-2009, 09:23 PM
I think we should all just leave him to his misery right now.

I just got done doing the flooring in my hallway, the misery is over.

At least untill the new stimulus package comes out, but that another thread isnt it.

ETA: It would be best if you could try not to be so condescending in the future.

blue
01-27-2009, 11:35 PM
And I'd call your statement a total misstatement of the facts! Hmmm, is that a character flaw too?

Unless you are just trying to be argumentative explain why.