PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Nominations

Nomilynn
01-22-2009, 05:42 PM
They have released the nominations for this year's Oscars. What movies do you think should win? I have made a list of movies I want to see still.. I have a lot of watching to do!

http://www.oscars.org/awards/81academyawards/nominees.html

lizbud
01-22-2009, 06:22 PM
I heard that Meryl Streep has been nominated for the 15th time. She is
an amazing actress.

Grace
01-22-2009, 06:51 PM
I saw Doubt, Frost/Nixon and Milk.

My choice for Best Actor would be Frank Langella for his role as Nixon. He and Michael Sheen made that movie.

K9karen
01-22-2009, 07:53 PM
I have yet to see any of the nominated movies (too cheap to pay for a movie at the theatre :rolleyes:), but from what I've seen as prevews, and heard through friends, Frost/Nixon was excellent. I'd be more prone to go for MILK, 'cause I think Sean Penn is a superb actor, but I can't resist Brad Pitt either. So I dunno. It's a hard choice. All these actors are wonderful in their own right.

Medusa
01-23-2009, 05:03 AM
When my son visits, we see as many movies as we can but I have friends who, unfortunately, don't go to movies much so I end up watching them when they come to cable. I used to go to movies by myself but I just don't want to do that any more. That said, I think I may have a friend talked into seeing Frost Nixon this weekend. I'm really looking forward to it. I want to see Benjamin Buttons, too, but it's showing only once in the evening, so I doubt anyone will go w/me. Doubt was really good. Meryl Streep is so good, it's a crime. :)

Nomilynn
02-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Did anyone watch last night? I am seeing "Milk" this week. What did everyone think of the results?

Edwina's Secretary
02-23-2009, 09:56 PM
I saw Slumdog Millionaire and loved, loved, loved it. I plan on seeing it at least one more time!

I am eager to see Nixon/Frost as the Nixon resignation/Watergate ,etc came at an important time in my life.

kitten645
02-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Out of the ones I've seen, I'd highly recommend Milk. It was probably the best film I've seen in years. Sean Penn (who isn't always my favorite:rolleyes:) was FANTASTIC! Slumdogs was good too if you know the back story of the director being 18!:eek: And those kids being kids off the streets in India. Good story though. B Buttons I've heard EVERYONE say was painful to watch. Like aging or rather UNAGING in real time! I think the awards went pretty much as I thought they would.
Claudia

finn's mom
02-24-2009, 08:35 AM
Out of the ones I've seen, I'd highly recommend Milk. It was probably the best film I've seen in years. Sean Penn (who isn't always my favorite:rolleyes:) was FANTASTIC! Slumdogs was good too if you know the back story of the director being 18!:eek: And those kids being kids off the streets in India. Good story though. B Buttons I've heard EVERYONE say was painful to watch. Like aging or rather UNAGING in real time! I think the awards went pretty much as I thought they would.
Claudia

I really want to see Milk! So, without knowing back story, you don't think Slumdog Millionaire is great on it's own? I still wanna see it. ;) As for Benjamin Button, I thought it was beautiful, not at all painful to watch. It isn't fast paced, but I would go see it in the theater again. It was magical. :)

caseysmom
02-24-2009, 09:21 AM
I didn't know anything about slumdog and I really enjoyed it.

finn's mom
02-24-2009, 09:23 AM
I didn't know anything about slumdog and I really enjoyed it.

That's what I had heard from a few people, I'm excited to see it. I've only seen one preview of it, and it looked beautiful.

caseysmom
02-24-2009, 09:24 AM
I must say Dev Patel is pretty hot too, kind of young for me but hey I can look:D

Edwina's Secretary
02-24-2009, 11:07 AM
I must say Dev Patel is pretty hot too, kind of young for me but hey I can look:D

Hubba, hubba...I think he is adorable!!!

I said that to one of the young women who work for me and she said his ears are too big :rolleyes::rolleyes:...he'll grow into them...

Are you sure about the director being 18? I saw him accept an award (I think it was the director) and he is hasn't seen 18 in a llllooonnnnngggg time!*

*I looked it up...Danny Boyle the director is 52.

wolflady
02-24-2009, 11:34 AM
I am so pleased that Slumdog and AR Rahman won awards...and rightfully so! AR Rahman is phenomenal in writing music scores - the amount he's done and in various languages is astounding. I've listened to a lot of his work with Indian films and Bollywood, so it was neat to see him recognized in Hollywood! :)

Nomilynn
02-24-2009, 01:50 PM
I liked "Benjamin Button" but I found that parts really dragged. My BF liked it a lot better than I did.

I am looking forward to seeing "Milk" and "Slumdog" and I also want to see "Vicky Christina Barcelona" and "Rachel Getting Marries" with Anne Hathaway.

There were actually a ton of good movies that came out this year, far more than past years. There are also a few upcoming films that I would like to see. The one with Johnny Depp (can't remember the title) looks especially good!

ChrisH
02-24-2009, 02:40 PM
The one with Johnny Depp (can't remember the title) looks especially good!
That would be Public Enemies. :D

No-one seen/liked The Wrestler and/or Mickey Rourke?

Prairie Purrs
02-24-2009, 03:29 PM

"The Wrestler" is a tough, gritty movie, and it won't be everyone's cup of tea. I thought Mickey Rourke was superb. A gutsy and powerful performance.

finn's mom
02-24-2009, 05:32 PM

I haven't seen it, but want to. As far as acting goes, he's top notch. I liked him a lot more when he wasn't so "plastic," but he still does a great job.

ChrisH
02-25-2009, 06:43 AM
Prairie Purrs, spot on! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/thumbsup3.gif

Oh, Kari, do go see it. As Prairie Purrs said it is not to everyone's taste, maybe you will find it's not to yours, but all I'll say about Mickeys performance is that his Golden Globe and Bafta were very much deserved.

I wasn't a fan before this film but I sure am now! Plus the various interviews I've seen have endeared him to me. He's come through the mill, he totally acknowledges his badness in the past and how it was all down to him. He worked through how his early life affected they way he was and then carried on working so hard to change.

And another plus is how much he loves dogs! So sad for him that his beloved Loki died not long before the Oscars.

finn's mom
02-25-2009, 07:46 AM
Prairie Purrs, spot on! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/thumbsup3.gif

Oh, Kari, do go see it. As Prairie Purrs said it is not to everyone's taste, maybe you will find it's not to yours,

I wasn't a fan before this film but I sure am now! Plus the various interviews I've seen have endeared him to me. He's come through the mill, he totally acknowledges his badness in the past and how it was all down to him. He worked through how his early life affected they way he was and then carried on working so hard to change.

Oh, I will see it, and I am completely fine with harsh and gritty. :) It doesn't have to be pretty for me to like it.

I have been a fan of his since as early as Barfly. I have always appreciated his grittiness and honesty, I just don't enjoy looking at him anymore. He's so far past plastic surgery damage that I can't watch interviews with him. His movies are still great, though. I loved him in Sin City, but again, the makeup for that one was way over the top. ;)

ChrisH
02-25-2009, 08:31 AM
Yeah, shame the plastic surgery repair of the boxing damage wasn't done well, to say the least. Nevertheless the Mickey smile is still there if you look deep enough ... or maybe I just have a weakness for flawed men and see some things others don't. :)

finn's mom
02-25-2009, 09:01 AM
Yeah, shame the plastic surgery repair of the boxing damage wasn't done well, to say the least. Nevertheless the Mickey smile is still there if you look deep enough ... or maybe I just have a weakness for flawed men and see some things others don't. :)

Nah, trust me, you're not the only one. ;) I love flawed people. He's just a little too over the top for me anymore.