PDA

View Full Version : Fractured Rib, Walker and other stuff

Freedom
01-22-2009, 12:49 PM
My Dad fell in his bathroom about 4 AM on Wednesday morning. :( He is in hospital with a fractured rib. Just now he is scheduled to come home tomorrow / Friday, with a walker, and maybe a little physical therapy. A visiting nurse is coming to make a "safe home" inspection, probably on Saturday.

Dad will be house bound for 6 to 8 weeks, and maybe a bit longer (elderly take longer to heal).

Last evening, I took Lacey in to visit. This morning I took Marlin.

Marlin normally sleeps on Dad's bed at night. But last night Marlin could not settle. On Dad's bed, he would whine, cry and end up howling. Then he'd come to my bedroom and lie on a pet bed on the floor. That wouldn't last long, and he was back off to Dad's room. Which meant getting me up, as he refuses to go up the stairs to Dad's bed without a light at night. So I have to walk through the house with him, turning lights on, he goes up the stairs, and I return to my room closing lights as I go. (That is routine even when Dad is here.) Neither of us slept much last night. So I am hoping he will calm down a bit now that he has seen Dad.

I'm not sure how this is going to work with Dad home with a walker and house bound. Can I leave him to go shopping? To go have dinner with friends? To walk the dogs? So far the information is that I will have to wait and see how he does at home.

Karen
01-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Yes, once he gets used to it, you will be able to leave the house to walk dogs, etc. A walker means he will be able to move around, not painlessly with a busted rib, but more securely than he likely has been. A walker is extra strength and stability and balance - those are all good things.

Tennis balls for the front "feet" so it doesn't squeak on the floors, and drive everyone crazy, but it will be a GOOD thing.

After I had brain surgery many years ago, they gave me a walker to relearn walking and balance. The physical therapist was astounded at my skill with it. "You use that really well for a person your age!" she said, surprised.

"I have a LOT of elderly friends and relatives, I've been watching the pro walker users for a long time," I replied!

MoonandBean
01-22-2009, 01:48 PM
So sorry to hear about your dad! Karen's response was great and I'll just add one thing: I'm sure they will tell him this but fractured ribs can easily lead to pneumonia as people tend to breathe shallow due to the pain. He should do "incentive spirometry" every hour or so. They will probably give him a chamber and ball that he has to blow into. If they don't; ask for one. If all else fails, he'll need to hug a pillow and make himself cough a couple of times every few hours. This is all to prevent pneumonia...which is very important (can you imagine pneumonia on top of a fractured rib? Ouch!)

Tell him I wish him a speedy recovery! :love:

Freedom
01-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Wow, thanks!! Both of you had lots of good info.

Medusa
01-22-2009, 05:07 PM
No info from me, only encouragement and to let you know that I'm still praying for you and Dad. :love:

Daisy and Delilah
01-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Oh No Sandie!!!! I'm so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are going out to your Dad and you. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}:(

cassiesmom
01-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Oh No Sandie!!!! I'm so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are going out to your Dad and you. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}:(

No info from me, only encouragement and to let you know that I'm still praying for you and Dad.
What D&D said! What Medusa said!

K9karen
01-22-2009, 07:48 PM
*Sigh* Been in that situation 2x. Anyhoo..why don't you call Eldercare (should be in the phonebook) or your local county Department of Aging? I'll be you can get arrangements for an aide a few hours a day to stay with your dad while you shop etc. *Another Sigh*. If your dad is anything like my parents, they hated having a stranger in their midst, but I learned too late that I needed my own life. Good luck and lots of prayers for your dad's fast recovery.

Your Marlin and Dad's bed story is amazing. So habitual are our dear little buddies. I know Mz Logan won't even go into the bedroom on her bed at night unless I go in with her and stay there! Many late nights on PT resulted on my elbows being nosed in the air! And a firm demanding bark! Never a dull moment, and I only have one! Sending you lots of hugs!

Freedom
01-22-2009, 08:24 PM
I really appreciate all the posts, thank you.

Tonight I asked the nurse about the chamber and ball, and she said yes, he probably should have one, she will make a note for the doctor to order one. And if I hadn't posted on here, learned about it and asked? What then???

Dad has a case manager, we met once today, have another meeting tomorrow. I now have lots of questions, after a lengthy discussion with the nurse this evening. I know 12 hour shifts are hard, but boy did that work well for us today!

This morning Dad seemed fine, we had a nice chat. Tonight he was quite out of it, and very sarcastic, so I went to ask her about it. She said he is "sundowning," a stage in the dementia. He has been doing this about 2 weeks. So she is going to document it more than she may have, as I haven't told any of Dad's doctors about it yet. She had several arguments with him this evening, and had to alarm his bed. For a few hours she had to alarm HIM, as he won't cooperate and call her, he just gets up and walks, without his walker. :rolleyes:

She asked if I have his bed alarmed at home and I said no. She thinks maybe this will come up in the home inspection, and she made another note in Dad's file.

So we are making progress.

Thanks again for all your ideas, thoughts and good wishes!

phesina
01-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Dear Sandie, I don't have any helpful suggestions, just lots of good wishes and prayers to add to those already coming for you and your Dad. Don't forget to take care of yourself, too, while you work so hard taking care of him.:love::love:

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} and ~~~~~PURRS~~~~~,
Pat and cats

Alysser
01-22-2009, 10:00 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this happened to your poor Dad. I hope he feels better soon! That sounds painful. :(

Taz_Zoee
01-22-2009, 10:16 PM
No advice here either. Only thoughts for you and your Dad.

Cinder & Smoke
01-23-2009, 01:41 AM
She had several arguments with him this evening, and had to alarm his bed.
For a few hours she had to alarm HIM, as he won't cooperate and call her,
he just gets up and walks, without his walker. :rolleyes:

She asked if I have his bed alarmed at home and I said no.
She thinks maybe this will come up in the home inspection ...

You'll probably need a reliable "bed alarm", but also a Dad-proof door or gate
to guard the "steps" that Dad might encounter while taking a 'hike' around the house!

Another good activity for Dad would be to enroll him in a local Senior Day Care -
often provided by a county agency or a local church. There's one near me that provides
door-to-door handicap bus service to pick up and return the Folks;
and offers all-day care and activities for the Seniors.

MoonandBean
01-23-2009, 08:08 AM
Tonight I asked the nurse about the chamber and ball, and she said yes, he probably should have one, she will make a note for the doctor to order one. And if I hadn't posted on here, learned about it and asked? What then???

Unfortunately, it often takes a family member to advocate for the patient to get the best care. I wish everything that should be done was always done but that's just not the case in today's medical world. Thank God he has you there to watch out for him :love:

lvpets2002
01-23-2009, 10:42 AM
:( Oh Dear Sandie I am sad to read this.. Hope your Dad is doing better today.. Oh that fractured rib can be painfull.. Now how young is your dad?? Sending lots of Prayers & Huggss..

Cinder & Smoke
01-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Unfortunately, it often takes a family member to advocate for the patient to get the best care.
I wish everything that should be done was always done
but that's just not the case in today's medical world.

Thank God he has you there to watch out for him :love:

Consider doing what My Mom did when she still lived independantly in her apartment
at the Retirement Village - she hired a State Certified Nurse's Assistant to help with
bill paying, meals, and general daily activities. "Darlene" was a Godsend to Mom, Sis, and I!
She'd visit Mom two or three times most days; accompany Mom on Doctor's visits;
be a companion; and became almost a member of the family. Mom "shared Darlene" with
4 other elderly ladies in the complex - so everyone only "paid" for her about
10 - 15 hours per week; but saw her almost every day.

Even after Mom transferred into the Extended Care (Nursing Home) wing of the Village;
Darlene remained "on the payroll" to keep a watchful eye on Mom
AND the professional Nursing staff. The MOST handy feature was that
Darlene held a "Medical Power of Attorney" on Mom - and could speak for Mom
(or Sis and I) when dealing with doctors or the Nursing staff.

An added benefit? Mom would agree to do stuff for Darlene that nobody else could
get done - physical therapy, exercises, taking bad-tasting meds, or finishing meals.

;)

Freedom
01-23-2009, 07:49 PM
:( Now how young is your dad??

Dad was 82 at Thanksgiving.

Dad came home about 2:30 this afternoon. He has a cane, not a walker. They felt he was not able to figure out how to maneuver the walker. They also did not send home the "chamber and ball" (I forget what it is called) as he could not learn how to use that either. He does have to do some deep breathing exercises.

I made sure the nurses documented all the dementia and sundowning stuff, so that will help get some assistance there as well as with the rib recovery. For the next couple weeks as the rib heals, Dad is considered "house bound." We will have a visiting nurse, perhaps some physical therapy (for the breathing). Will see about an aide, someone to be with him while I go out. This evening I went out to dinner with friends and he was alone for a bit over 3 hours. He sat in his recliner and didn't move. Um . . . I mean he didn't get up when he had to go to the bathroom, or anything, he just sat and waited for me to return. If you get what I'm saying.

Phred, thanks for all the ideas. I was actually in the process of getting Dad in to adult day care when this fall happened. So now I have a few weeks to pull that together.

I have someone coming tomorrow to help with some safety issues which I already know of, (I already bought what I needed from Home Depot, just need a bit of an assist with installations) and I am sure I will have a few other changes needed after the safe home inspection tomorrow as well.

Phred, I've been doing all that you listed for Darlene for 8 years now, ever since he moved in with me and I stopped working to care for him full time. It was a good suggestion, though, so thank you.

Marlin and I are both looking forward to a good night's sleep now that Dad is home!!!:)

Daisy and Delilah
01-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Sandie, it sounds like you've got your hands full. I'm sending giant hugs to you. Best wishes to you and Dad that everything falls into place exactly how you both need it.

Cinder & Smoke
01-24-2009, 12:39 AM
He has a cane, not a walker.
They felt he was not able to figure out how to maneuver the walker.

They also did not send home the "chamber and ball" ...
as he could not learn how to use that either.

He does have to do some deep breathing exercises.

No walker and no breathing exerciser?
:(

This sounds like a cop-out on the part of the hospital discharge folks!

Walking (effectively) with a cane is a lot more difficult for an unsteady
elder person
than learning how to lean on and move with a 4-legged (NO wheels) walker.

SOME "walkers" are more complicated than a car -
* dual, independant fron & rear brakes (hand applied - like a bike)
* free-pivoting wheels - all 4 corners
* cargo basket
* seat to rest upon
* a BELL to clear the way
* personalized 'license plate'

If he NEEDS a walker, someone needs to get him a simple one and help him learn
how to walk with it.

Same with the Breathing Exerciser - TEACH him how to use it or plan to
sit with him and coach him through every step of the procedure.
MY Mom could never remember when to Inhale, and when to Blow - let alone
how to *hold* the darn thing. Mom enjoyed using it as long as she had a
cheer leader reminding her what to do and encouraging her by calling out
the readings.

cassiesmom
01-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Just a thought. A cane might be easier to maneuver for Freedom's Dad than a walker because of his dementia. It might come a little more naturally to him as opposed to a walker. Same thing with an incentive spirometer - it isn't easy (especially when you don't feel well) to remember all the steps of using it correctly. Deep-breathing exercises might be simpler. Anything that gets him regularly deep breathing and avoiding pneumonia will help.

Freedom, I have you in my thoughts and prayers and I put your Christmas photo on my dresser today.

Hugs,
Elyse

Mom would agree to do stuff for Darlene that nobody else could get done ;) Nurses are funny that way!

Catty1
01-24-2009, 06:02 PM
This might be a dumb thought for the breathing exercises...but are there balloons available that are 'easy' to blow up?

That might do in a pinch.

HUGS and prayers for you and your dad. I hope you get a job soon, and that your dad feels better and gets to a daycare program. He just might find that a lot of fun.:)

cassiesmom
02-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Freedom, how is your dad doing? And how are you doing?

Thinking of you,
Elyse