PDA

View Full Version : Sound Converter Software...recommendations?

Moesha
01-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Can anyone recommend, preferably free, any software that will convert .wav files to .mp3. I did a search and am overwhelmed. I don't need anything very fancy. I was looking into Switch (http://nch.com.au/switch/) but was afraid to download something I wasn't sure about. Thanks!

Karen
01-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Paul used to use Audacity - it is free software, and you may have to download a separate module to do mp3's but that, too would be free. And it is very popular.

It is at http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

You should download the "stable" version, not the "beta" version. They have it for Windows, Macintosh and Linux computers.

kokopup
01-22-2009, 11:32 AM
This software is not free but you will find one of their products that will
do your conversion or whatever.

http://applian.com

I bought the "Replay Music" and have built a music collection that gets a little bigger each week. I have 12,000 tracks that have all been free. This
software uses "Gracenote" to identify the song and album so when you play it on your Mp3 player or in my case my Home Theater or car radio the song name and album appears on a display. I have never regretted buying this software. They also have AV suites that lets you record audio/and video For your phone or computer.

kokopup
01-22-2009, 11:45 AM
An added note about free software. I tryed using several free programs
and none had the automatic Song ID. A song that wiil be a 3.5 mb file
on Replay Music was usually 5+ mb for the same bitrate rip. Most free software has problems and are using the public to find all the bugs.
These are usually Beta versions. :D

Hellow
01-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Audacity is something I have a very good personal experience with - it is probably the most popular sound editing tool for Linux. I bet they feel proud.

Most free software has problems and are using the public to find all the bugs.

That is one of the primary things I do is root out bugs in Open Source Software. OSS (open source software) is the perfect example of collaboration, where many people can work together to get a common job done. The developers of the software have released the source code, the very essence of the software, to the public for free modification and redistritbution, generally under the GNU General Public license, or under the Creative Commons license. You make it sound like using the public to root out bugs is a bad thing - its not :).

kokopup
01-22-2009, 09:33 PM
It is not a bad thing if you are a software developer. iF you are an every day "joe c public" being a beta developer can have it's challenges. i spend most of my time in the Linux world so I appreciate
the free Beta softwares available. There is nothing wrong with beta Mp3 converts I just found them to be less efficient. This was several years ago so what is out there now may be OK.

I have had very good experiences with applian software

Hellow
01-23-2009, 06:32 AM
It is not a bad thing if you are a software developer. iF you are an every day "joe c public" being a beta developer can have it's challenges. i spend most of my time in the Linux world so I appreciate
the free Beta softwares available. There is nothing wrong with beta Mp3 converts I just found them to be less efficient. This was several years ago so what is out there now may be OK.

I have had very good experiences with applian software

Thats why 9/10 of the software that goes into any modern Linux distribution release is proven stable software, not beta. You dont go off testing beta software if you dont have a clue what you are doing :).

Also, I didnt even know there was MP3 converters for Linux. Perhaps Audacity, which I dont use often but sometimes. Also, they are beta software because they have the high likelyhood of bugs and other related things. I squash bugs daily :D.

kokopup
02-02-2009, 03:13 PM
reggie wrote

Also, I didnt even know there was MP3 converters for Linux.

Actually there are quite a few Linux MP3 converters.
One link

www.mp3-converter.com/linux/

Hellow
02-02-2009, 03:16 PM
reggie wrote

Actually there are quite a few Linux MP3 converters.
One link

www.mp3-converter.com/linux/ (http://www.mp3-converter.com/linux/)

Nice link; the major sound converter for Linux is Audacity. I will be linking people to some of those if they ask.