PDA

View Full Version : Why do we need to support the president?

Pembroke_Corgi
01-21-2009, 03:16 PM
I've seen a lot of comments lately that fall along the lines of, "Well, I didn't vote for Obama but now that he's president I'm going to support him." Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the sentiment, or reading into the word support too strongly, but we live in a democracy- we are allowed to disagree with the president and hold different opinions! We have a right to our own thoughts, ideas, free speech, and the right to protest.

People who say that they "support" Obama now when they didn't vote for him- what do you mean? Maybe I'm just reading it the wrong way- I hope you don't mean that you will agree with whatever he says/does just because he is the president.

I'm just honestly curious, and I'm not trying to start an fight, just a discussion. I'm also not trying to diminish anyone- I just think we need to remember we can still be "patriotic" and hold different viewpoints. In fact, I think that makes us more loyal to democracy. By the way, I voted for Obama, but that doesn't mean I am going to necessarily support everything he does.

smokey the elder
01-21-2009, 03:20 PM
One way to look at it can be to disagree with the individual but respect the office. People disagreeing with a President can lead to either good or bad things, depending on circumstances. Divisiveness (I can't spell today for some reason!) and partisanship can be a barrier to trying to right the USA in our eyes and the eyes of the world.

There is a concept called "the loyal opposition"; I don't remember its origin; it's the idea that people critically think and constructively question the actions of those in power, while at the same time acknowleging their status by election or appointment.

JenBKR
01-21-2009, 03:26 PM
I am one who has said that recently. I didn't vote for him, and I probably won't agree with everything that he says/does. However, by saying that I am supporting him now, I just mean that I am giving him a chance. He is brand new in office, and I think that he deserves my respect. I just have to wait and see if he keeps it ;)

Does that answer your question at all? I know what I am trying to say, but sometimes it doesn't come out right (especially online).

Pembroke_Corgi
01-21-2009, 03:33 PM
One way to look at it can be to disagree with the individual but respect the office. People disagreeing with a President can lead to either good or bad things, depending on circumstances. Divisiveness (I can't spell today for some reason!) and partisanship can be a barrier to trying to right the USA in our eyes and the eyes of the world.

There is a concept called "the loyal opposition"; I don't remember its origin; it's the idea that people critically think and constructively question the actions of those in power, while at the same time acknowleging their status by election or appointment.
I haven't heard the term "loyal opposition," but I do agree with the concept- I think those in power should be questioned, for the better of everyone, which is why I started this discussion. Maybe I am reading into what I am hearing too much. Thanks for the reply!

I am one who has said that recently. I didn't vote for him, and I probably won't agree with everything that he says/does. However, by saying that I am supporting him now, I just mean that I am giving him a chance. He is brand new in office, and I think that he deserves my respect. I just have to wait and see if he keeps it

Does that answer your question at all? I know what I am trying to say, but sometimes it doesn't come out right (especially online).
I guess I should have clarified that it's not just PT where I've heard this said- I'm not trying to single anyone out! But I see what you mean. :)

JenBKR
01-21-2009, 03:37 PM
I guess I should have clarified that it's not just PT where I've heard this said- I'm not trying to single anyone out! But I see what you mean. :)

Oh no don't worry, I didn't take it personally :) I have heard it quite a bit too recently. I am among the hopeful...although I know that things won't get better overnight. Obama himself has said that things will probably get worse before they get better. Time will tell...

RICHARD
01-21-2009, 04:09 PM
I said this before.

The president is the guy that 'drives the bus'.

I don't care for him but, I do support the office he represents and think he can do the job.

If, at some point, I don't like the direction or the places that the bus travels, I have every right and intention of getting off it at the next stop.

Of course, there will be the 'BUSHBASHERS' who will look at my feelings as being hypocritical-but I find their opinions as pertinent as the last square on a TP roll during the flu.;)

Onward, through the fog!

Karen
01-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Because he was duly elected, it is our responsibility to support the president, out of respect for the office. This does not mean we cannot disagree with individual opinions or policies or actions. But the majority of our fellow Americans elected whomever is in office, and we - as participants in the democratic process - need to respect their decision.

You need also to realize that your own senator and representative are in office to serve you - much of what the President does is subject to approval by the House and Senate, so you can contact your representatives in Washington on particular matters you feel strongly about.

Grace
01-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States.

To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.

Edwina's Secretary
01-21-2009, 06:30 PM
To me...the problem is what does the word "support" mean in this context?

Similar to "Support Our Troops". I do support our troops. I pay my taxes that pay for them. I hope every day that they will come home out of harm's way.

To me that is "supporting our troops."

So perhaps to "support the president" is to pay your taxes and hope he is successful? And not in harm's way?

Nothing in either statement suggests I cannot criticize, complain, or even carp!

RICHARD
01-21-2009, 06:53 PM
To me...the problem is what does the word "support" mean in this context?

You have a problem with the terminology?

Gee,
You didn't bring up the word hypocrite, I am confused.

Lady's Human
01-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Let me preface this by stating that I didn't vote for President Obama, and I find many of his proposed programs questionable at best.

HOWEVER........

It is entirely possible to support a leader and disagree with them. I hope he uses the public support he has at the moment to truly move the country forward away from the partisan sniping, towards a constructive discourse between factions.

Sniping at every decision a leader makes because you dislike them accomplishes nothing. Offering constructive comments and keeping communication lines open accomplishes more in the long term for all parties involved.

A former Battalion Commander summed it up best to our staff one day, (soldier talk removed to keep things family friendly)

"If you're going to (complain) about something, bring me an alternative. Otherwise I'm going to ignore it."

Far, far too much of the discourse over the past two decades has been tainted by complaining for the sake of complaining.(Shrub did this, Klintoon did that, ad nauseum) That needs to end, or we're going to get nowhere.

K9soul
01-21-2009, 07:20 PM
It probably means different things to different people. For me, to support a president or someone in authority is not to kowtow and agree with everything they say and do. It means I consider him my president, that he is not my enemy but on "my side," that I include him in my prayers, and wish no harm on him. That I don't disagree just to disagree. That I speak of him with respect and not mockery. To me that is what it means to support my president.

As an aside, as much as I disagreed and was upset at a lot of things Bush and his administration did while in office, I found it in deplorable taste that some of the crowd at the inauguration boo'd him. I'm not saying people didn't have the right to do it, but I found it petty and disrespectful of not only Bush but also of Obama and the spirit of his message of unity.

ETA: I think the president and officials CAN make decisions and take actions that causes support to falter. This post is simply what it means to me to say I support the president (whether I voted for him or not). A president can take actions that cause him to lose support, i.e. Nixon.

Catty1
01-21-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally quoted by Lady's Human:
"If you're going to (complain) about something, bring me an alternative. Otherwise I'm going to ignore it."

I like that. One of my faves is, "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

lizbud
01-21-2009, 07:39 PM
I think this can't be repeated often enough. :)

"Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States.

Quote:
To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. "

Twisterdog
01-21-2009, 10:01 PM
IMO, "supporting" the current president means respecting his office, and giving him a chance, not automatically criticising every decision he makes and every word he says for nothing more than the fact that he wasn't the one you voted for or the one on your party ticket.

I do not, for one minute, think it means not criticising the president ever, simply because he is the president. I don't think anyone thinks that.

It simply means, to me, giving him a fair chance and a clean slate. Basing opinions on his actions, not on his party line.

blue
01-21-2009, 10:09 PM
So basicaly the opposite of how the MSM treated the last POTUS for 8 years?

Lady's Human
01-21-2009, 10:17 PM

Unless BOTH parties can stop the crap, we're going to be in the same position as the Middle East is in. Everyone fighting, no one getting a damned thing done, and no one able to say why they're fighting, other than because they are.

Without some statesmen in place of politicians, however, I dont see it happening.

blue
01-21-2009, 10:22 PM
The crap will still fly only we will see less of it now then from the previous 8 years thanks to the MSM (main stream media).

rosethecopycat
01-21-2009, 10:52 PM
So why weren't these concepts of:

not criticizing every decision and every word that comes out of his mouth...

respect for the 'office'.....

Not in effect for the last 8 years?

I kept my mouth shut in the Clinton years and I will keep my mouth shut for the Obama administration.

Lady's Human
01-21-2009, 11:00 PM
If people want to go to the level of "I ain't gonna do it 'cause you didn't say nuthin' to them and they did the same thing".....

Then as usual, we get what we deserve.

One of my major issues with politics as currently practiced. I can handle my 4 year old acting like a four year old.

Adults should bloody well act and speak like adults.

Edwina's Secretary
01-21-2009, 11:51 PM
You have a problem with the terminology?

Gee,
You didn't bring up the word hypocrite, I am confused.

As you said...

It was better to leave an ill mannered person alone, than it was to correct the situation.

RICHARD
01-22-2009, 02:11 PM
As you said...

WTF?

That's a left wing media trick, quoting ill mannered people talking about ill manners on a thread about ill manners.

That makes me ILL.:rolleyes:

RICHARD
01-22-2009, 02:20 PM
Not in effect for the last 8 years?

I kept my mouth shut in the Clinton years and I will keep my mouth shut for the Obama administration.

I think all comedians should and can, take advantage regarding the great oratory skills of the current president and ..........ahhhhhhh.......ummmmmmm not be ahhhh, shy to ummmmmmmm poke a little ummmmmmmm fun about it?

I am not going to turn that last line into a CLinton joke!

And where is Luke Wilson when you need him?:D

caseysmom
01-22-2009, 02:59 PM
What an idiot!

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/2009/01/21/nr.sanchez.slater.limbaugh.cnn

Pembroke_Corgi
01-22-2009, 03:21 PM
I guess I am just misunderstanding the word "support" in this context. When I hear the phrase, "I support the president," it seems like an endorsement or advocating for or promoting them/their ideas. I must be too hung up on the semantics of the statement when people really mean something else altogether.

I appreciate the quote from Theodore Roosevelt- that is exactly how I feel. It's our job as voters and members of society to pay attention and think critically about issues. In my observations, it seems like this doesn't happen enough.

lizbud
01-22-2009, 04:45 PM

You are joking, right? The last president ( who's name I forget ) was
let slide without any serious questioning about anything. It has only been
the last 4 years since the media woke up to it's responsibilities and began
to speak truth to power.

RICHARD
01-22-2009, 05:04 PM
You are joking, right? The last president ( who's name I forget ) was
let slide without any serious questioning about anything. It has only been
the last 4 years since the media woke up to it's responsibilities and began
to speak truth to power.

Funny, they knew John and Bobby were having at Marilyn and they couldn't figure out that was going on during the last few years?

So there has been a right wing conspiracy in the media? Shame on them-this is the same 'media' that people quoted every day-especially when GWB made a faus pax?

But even more shame om the people who quote the same stupid, lame and buffonish mediam, and hung on every word, during those four years.

We can criticize them for falling asleep at the wheel, then hang on every story they produce? Shame on me for believing.;)

When we add weight to anything that RL says, we make him relevent.
---------------

Now, Why not comment on the statements by the effing moron rappers who were all over BO being the new president?

LOL, I saw Bill O'reilly play them on his show last night. Poor Barack, He's job is way tougher with effing morons like that singing his praises.;)

Edwina's Secretary
01-22-2009, 05:33 PM
This is soooo fun! The same people who have complained about the "media" -- as if it is some monolithic, homogenous group (Fox News = MSNBC anyone???)--are scrambling madly to figure out what to complain (or is that carp???) about now....rappers...okay...

I am going to make a guess here...anyone else think the reporters who covered John and Bobby Kennedy have retired by now?

Whining, crabbing, carping...using barely disguised "F-bombs" (when you don't have anything intelligent to say...go with the F:rolleyes::rolleyes:) -- sure beats doing anything -- or saying anything meaningful.

It reminds me of that poor woman from Alaska -- her 15 minutes of fame are over so she has to keep calling press conferences to complain about what people are saying about her. Or said about her. Or might say about her. Or might say about someone else that they should be saying about her. Or should have said about her.

The election is over - Done. Let's fix something.

lizbud
01-22-2009, 05:53 PM

Well, President Obama sighed the order to close Gitmo within the year. A
good start.:)

RICHARD
01-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Whining, crabbing, carping...using barely disguised "F-bombs" (when you don't have anything intelligent to say...go with the F:rolleyes::rolleyes:) -- sure beats doing anything -- or saying anything meaningful.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL,

You slay me. I have to disguise the F bombs. You can spell out HYPOCRITE, or any other word, when you toss one of those my way.;)

It's all a matter of perception.

IT's time for you to take some of the slings and arrows for your dude.

Buck up and gird your loins.

That a "B" in front of the 'uck'.

Actually, I should be kinder and more reserved. I really hate it when people complain about my posts, yet refuse to own theirs.:eek::o:confused:

Edwina's Secretary
01-22-2009, 07:12 PM
IT's time for you to take some of the slings and arrows for your dude.

My only "dude" is my husband. Please let me know what "slings and arrows" you have for him.

Otherwise, let's put each other on ignore. I find your attitude -- calling anyone who disagrees with you
the last square on a TP roll during the flu -- so disgusting I feel the need to wash after any exchange with you.

I'll start.

cassiesmom
01-22-2009, 07:19 PM
I agree with what Karen said, out of respect for the office, even though I didn't vote for him. I'm a Christian and there are a couple of places in the Bible where it says to give respect to and pray for one's leaders. So that's what "support" means to me. To pray for him and his family, to be willing to abide by his decisions even if I don't agree. To be informed and willing to speak up for my informed opinion, and to keep my mouth shut and get informed when I am not.

Supporting the troops is a little different, though. I pray for their welfare too, but I have a friend who collects magazines and toiletries for an organization that ships them to the troops. I give her magazines to send when I'm finished with them. So there is a level of support in terms of "stuff" that doesn't apply to the president.

RICHARD
01-22-2009, 07:40 PM
ummmmm....ahhhhhhhh....ummmmmmmm....ahhhhhhhhhhh.. .....ummmmmmmm.....ahhhhhhhh.....ummmmmmmmm....... ..ahhhhhhhhhh.ummmmmmmmm

Amen.

Karen
01-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Okay, you two, quit it! Remember that this is Pet Talk, we can disagree without name-calling or resorting to disguised profanity.

I doubt anyone's opinion was ever changed by someone name-calling and shouting from the other side.

And please do not bring up posts and issues that have been deleted because of their content.

I would hate to have to ban political discussion from Pet Talk.

Save yelling at each other for PMs, or type your post then delete it.

RICHARD
01-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Okay, you two, quit it! Remember that this is Pet Talk, we can disagree without name-calling or resorting to disguised profanity.

I doubt anyone's opinion was ever changed by someone name-calling and shouting from the other side.

And please do not bring up posts and issues that have been deleted because of their content.

I would hate to have to ban political discussion from Pet Talk.

Save yelling at each other for PMs, or type your post then delete it.

My sincerest apology to you and the rest of the board members.

Thanks.

Puckstop31
01-23-2009, 06:20 AM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0109/17831.html

Can't handle a honest question Ad Lib, Mr. President?

Who thinks that reporter will EVER get called on again in a press conference?

HOW DARE you question the one?

Closing Gitmo, ORDERING the CIA how to do their job... Government by college professors is what he now have folks. Woot!

Puckstop31
01-23-2009, 08:11 AM
The spirt of "openess" in government?

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jan/23/obama-spokesmans-debut-marked-by-discord/

lizbud
01-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Closing Gitmo, ORDERING the CIA how to do their job... Government by college professors is what he now have folks. Woot!

Well duh......... The President appoints the Director of the CIA. It's no big
surprise they would agree on policy decisions.