PDA

View Full Version : You light up my life?

RICHARD
01-21-2009, 02:47 PM
The back porch light went out.

So, I decided to pick up some new bulbs. A four pack was 2.99 and a cheaper brand was 1.99..I go cheap!

I come home and put the kitchen light I took out for the porch back in.

Then I put a bulb into the lamp in the front room that I took out for another blown bulb.

---------------

The same day I go to the switch and flip it on-BINK! the bolb goes out.

I fish out another bulb and proceed to drop the tiny screw that holds the glass fixture in place on the ground-I did a cursory search for it this morning but it's past my patience index.

I look out the front door and see that the FRONT DOOR light bulb has gone out.

I went from having two bulbs in reserve to playing TAG the next one blows.

Which should be in the next three minutes....

Moral of the story?

Go the extra buck and get some quality!:D:rolleyes:;)

lvpets2002
01-21-2009, 02:50 PM
:) Well I also buy the cheaper ones.. But mine last longer than 3 minutes.. You think it could have been the installer..:p:D

JenBKR
01-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Try those energy saving bulbs...can't think of what they are called but they last a looong time! They're a little more expensive but worth it in the long run.

Cinder & Smoke
01-21-2009, 04:03 PM
... and proceed to drop the tiny screw that holds the glass fixture in place on the ground -
I did a cursory search for it this morning but it's past my patience index.

Don'cha just :love: it? :mad:

The hallway fixture has THREE of those darn lil screws holding the glass globe -
They're WAY too easy to back out just a bit too far --- giving you the
choice of grabbing for:
1) the falling glass globe
2) the falling screw thingy
3) the chair to stop the falling HOOMAN who's lost his balance grabbing for #1 & #2.

:eek:

Maybe I should just get some night vision goggles.
:rolleyes:

Did'ja ever find the lil screw?

RICHARD
01-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Did'ja ever find the lil screw?

Not yet, I have to gather my patience!:rolleyes:;)

Karen
01-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Richard, a magnet tied to a string will cut down on search time - just drag the magnet around the area it might have fallen, listen for the "click!"

Husky_mom
01-21-2009, 04:56 PM
luckily you got the four pack... LOL... I´ve had it happened before but I just had bought the ONE ... LOL....

Cinder & Smoke
01-21-2009, 05:21 PM
... find the lil screw?

Not yet, I have to gather my patience!:rolleyes:;)

Gather a flashlight - less patience required.

In the dark, turn flashlight ON and lay it on the floor -
beam shining across the floor.

Slowly sweep beam over the area of the screw drop -
*Looking* for a shadow in the beam of light.

A pretty big shadow will be formed by even a tiny screw.

AND - *Listen* at night for the BWK (Big White Kat) to be playing Screw Hockey. :p

Twisterdog
01-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Get compact flourescent bulbs next time. More expensive, but they last forever ... I mean years and years.

Hellow
01-21-2009, 08:57 PM
Get the fluorescent "energy saving" bulbs, they cant "blow" without shattering, since there is nothing to "blow". Also, bulbs dont just blow out that easily (even the cheap ones), you could have a unstable power supply to them, or they are shorting out somehow.

moosmom
01-21-2009, 09:25 PM
I prefer living in the dark, personally. Does "Lights are on ain't nobody home" ring a bell??

By the way, how many Californians does it take to screw in a light bulb, anyway??

K9karen
01-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Get compact flourescent bulbs next time. More expensive, but they last forever ... I mean years and years.

Yep. I'm doing my part for the environment. Those bulbs are great.

Pam
01-22-2009, 06:12 AM
but it's past my patience index.

I think you have coined a new phrase. I like that...Patience Index! :cool:

Phred may be onto something. Perhaps a certain white kitty has already batted that screw into the next town. :D:p

smokey the elder
01-22-2009, 07:20 AM
CFL's are great for hard-to-change lightbulbs, or ones that need to be on a lot. It's dark when I leave work and when I get home in the winter, so I have one in the back foyer. We just replaced the front door one, too.

RICHARD
01-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Happily the screw fell on the patio, no late night hawkey for he BWK!:D

IT raining out here and I have to move a steel trashcan filled with dog food and a recycle bin and a give it a good sweep.

Another problem that I saw and hope THIS didn't happen is that when that little concrete patch was poured, my dad didn't pull out the wood pegs that held the forms. Now there are some little holes that I have to plug before i start to move stuff around or........:rolleyes:

------------------

STE, K9

I have noticed that the CFLs are good for general lighting. but not so hot for reading. THey also seem to dim in cold weather. Or, it's just me!

----------------

Thanks Pam.....:p

-------------

Moosmom.

This story is for you!

Last night I looked out the window and saw the porch light was out.

*&#^%$$%^$!
And THEN some!

I threw open the door, checked to see it the light bulb was screwed in properly and then flipped on the switch.

Cinder & Smoke
01-22-2009, 02:41 PM
... saw the porch light was out.

*&#^%$$%^$!
And THEN some!

I threw open the door,
checked to see it the light bulb was screwed in properly and
then flipped on the switch.

WELL ...

And ...

The LIGHT was ______ ???

:confused:

WHEN will he tell the WHOLE story?

:p

ChrisH
01-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Ordinary tungsten light bulbs are being phased out over here - Lights out: The end of tungsten (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/lights-out-the-end-of-tungsten-1229890.html) - I've been using the low-energy bulbs for quite some time now and like them.

RICHARD
01-22-2009, 05:30 PM

WELL ...

And ...

The LIGHT was ______ ???

:confused:

WHEN will he tell the WHOLE story?

:p

The LIGHT was only able to operate when the switch was placed into the ON position.;)

jennielynn1970
01-22-2009, 05:39 PM
I, myself, hate the CFLs for reading. They're horrible. I may not be doing my part to be greener in some rooms, but that's because I like to be able to save my eyesight while reading!

Cinder & Smoke
01-22-2009, 06:18 PM
The LIGHT was only able to operate
when the switch was placed into the ON position. ;)

Ooooooooooh ...

Well ...

Duh!

Nothin to worry about ...
you just had it set in "Energy Saving Mode".

:cool:

RICHARD
02-06-2009, 03:10 PM
The front porch light bulb blew out on monday...Since it was the last of the new pack I bought I pulled the bulb from the front room lamp that was in the corner.

AT this moment I have a 'fresh' bulb on the porch and a lost cat on the property!

The Edster is no where to be found and I will soon panic!:eek:

To see the results of this drama go to!

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=2120016#post2120016