PDA

View Full Version : good will: the friendly hope that something will succeed

kitten645
01-20-2009, 07:42 PM
This word struck me today. I think it was mentioned in one of the Obama speeches. I started thinking about it not only as it relates to politics but as it relates to the human condition. "Goodwill" always had a Dickensien feeling to me..."Goodwill to all men."
But it has struck me recently how much THIS is the one thing lacking so much these days. Why is there SUCH a lack of goodwill today. I couldn't find the antonym.
It is refreshing that there is perhaps a little less negativity with the new president but I still hear it from so many people..different face, same yada yada. Why can't we step back and say, "Best of luck. Have at it. We'll support you and try to make things better. "
I don't wish this to be a political discussion because it struck me again today at work. Someone AGAIN asked me "I hear you're going out of business." :rolleyes: It's always almost uttered with glee that someone else might fail. There are no indications we are going out of business. Things are tough but they are alll over. We are a family owned store that's been in business for a hundred years. None of that guarantees our sucess but it saddens me that people take such delight in other's misfortunes. What good comes of it? I suppose misery loves company but WHY can't people just say...we wish you the best. We hope you suceed. We will support your business? Does it take that much?
I think perhaps THAT is the root of many of our problems today. I hope this historic day brings about a change not only in politics but in the way we see each other and support one another. :love:
Claudia

moosmom
01-21-2009, 09:34 AM
I hope this historic day brings about a change not only in politics but in the way we see each other and support one another.

I hope so too, Claudia. That's the way it SHOULD be.