PDA

View Full Version : 9 months of training has paid off (Thank God!)

MoonandBean
01-20-2009, 05:04 PM
I just came in from walking Sunny. Whenever we walk, when a car passes I make her sit and wait for it to pass. We do tons of sit/stay drills in general. Tonight, I was walking her and we went into the woods. She kept making circles and I knew she needed to poop and she kept stopping because her leash would get caught on branches so I dropped her leash. She made her circles and then squatted. When she finished, I said "good girl, come here" and she ran to me but then ran passed and started out of the woods. A car was coming and fast. I screamed "sit" and her butt hit the snow. I yelled stay and she went down flat like a pancake. (hmmm...that's not a stay :)). I grabbed her leash as the car flew by. I told her good girl a million times and kissed her and thanked God. No more leash dropping...bad mommy :)

Husky_mom
01-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Good Girl Sunny!!!!!.... bad girl mommy.. ;)

what a scare... please hug Sunny from us too!!... she deserves a nice treat...*tosses treat*

MoonandBean
01-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Good Girl Sunny!!!!!.... bad girl mommy.. ;)

what a scare... please hug Sunny from us too!!... she deserves a nice treat...*tosses treat*

Mmmmm. Treat. Thank You! :p

boomersooner
01-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Sunny, you are such a good girl!!! I know that was very scary for you both!!!!

shepgirl
01-20-2009, 07:26 PM
I guess your patient training paid off big time today. With all the hugs I bet this will really stick. Good for the both of you.

Casper
01-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Way to go, Sunny! I'm so proud of you, girl. :)
And I am proud of your owner, as well. Its hard to keep a level head in such a situation and it sounds like she commanded you perfectly. Bravo!

Karen
01-20-2009, 08:16 PM
Good girl Sunny! This reminds me of a cousin's new puppy. She had mastered "sit" but not "come" - when she took off after a bug or something, we started to run after her, and her owner yelled "Sit!" and it was just about the funniest thing you'd ever seen. She was still running, but just with her front paws and her bottom dragging on the ground in her "sit" position. Thankfully it slowed her down enough so I was able to catch up with her and step on her leash to catch her - but I think we were all laughing too hard to scold her!

Freedom
01-20-2009, 08:40 PM
Sunny, HOORAY you did it, you paid attention to all those drills and you listened and you did it! OMGosh, What a relief, you DID IT! Loads of hugs and treats, dear girl.

Deb, so much for making things "easy" for this girl, lol. I keep saying this, she is determined to keep you on your toes! LOL. Good job keep a cool head and even thinking to yell, SIT!

K9karen
01-20-2009, 09:48 PM
Mommy did a great job too..being diligent with training and keeping :cool: under pressure! Whew! Flat as a pancake in the snow, waiting for mommy to catch up, is a he**ava lot better than flat as a pancake some other way! Good Sunny, sweet pumpkin. A gazillion kisses and hugs on you!

lute
01-21-2009, 06:35 AM
Good girl! Practice makes perfect.

MoonandBean
01-21-2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks everyone! I was shook up all night and just keep thanking God and kissing her. It could have been a disaster and then you would all have to come visit me in the mental hospital :)

This mornings walk was uneventful. She dragged me through the woods and I have pickers all over my coat but I didn't drop the leash :)

MoonandBean
01-21-2009, 08:34 AM
Good girl Sunny! This reminds me of a cousin's new puppy. She had mastered "sit" but not "come" - when she took off after a bug or something, we started to run after her, and her owner yelled "Sit!" and it was just about the funniest thing you'd ever seen. She was still running, but just with her front paws and her bottom dragging on the ground in her "sit" position. Thankfully it slowed her down enough so I was able to catch up with her and step on her leash to catch her - but I think we were all laughing too hard to scold her!

That sounds priceless!! :)

Ginger's Mom
01-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Good girl, Sunny!!! I will tell Ginger your story, I am sure she will be very proud of you too, sweetie. Sounds like Miss Sunny is ready for a little bit more freedom on her walks. :)

MoonandBean
01-22-2009, 08:31 AM
Good girl, Sunny!!! I will tell Ginger your story, I am sure she will be very proud of you too, sweetie. Sounds like Miss Sunny is ready for a little bit more freedom on her walks. :)

She does great when we take her on hiking trails and at the park, she can walk ahead of us and turns back to "check on us" and comes as soon as we call her but those places are safe for her to run "off" leash (leash is attached in case we need to grab it). It's great to know she will sit and stay if I yell but I don't think I'll be testing that again any time soon :) (No more leash dropping where cars could be) :)