PDA

View Full Version : Just a little update from me, on my 17th birthday :)

Miss Z
01-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Hey everyone,

Gawd it's been a while! I've kept meaning to pop in and just say hi to all again but never really found much time to push the schoolwork aside and get back into reading posts. I thought that seeing as it's my birthday today, though, that I could spare a few minutes. :)

Hope everyone is doing OK! There's so many new members now since I was last regularly active - so, hi to all you guys too!

Anyway, the pets and I are fine, and we had a good Christmas and New Year. Of course though, it's still work work work for me - A levels are relentless! But I'm really enjoying my subjects and am as firm as ever to study hard to be a veterinary surgeon.

In fact, I'm going to be extremely busy most of this year trying to gain as much experience as I can for my university application (I'll be applying in October this year - eek!). Next week, I'm off to Cambridge on a biology course to study genetics and the biology of cells. I'm pretty nervous about it - five days really far from home, by myself, no Flossie to keep me company.... hehe. But at the same time I'm really looking forward to it because it's going to be so insightful.

Then, in February, I'm going to work for a week for a farming company down in Oxford. I'll be helping on the farm but also hopefully get to be involved with the farm company itself, as they're really big on animal welfare in the farming industry and are keen on humane veterinary practice. I'll be able to stay with my grandmother for that, which is good, because I don't see her that often due to living 200 miles north.

At the end of March I'll then be going back to Cambridge (heh, my dad's going to be spending a fair amount on petrol this year ;)), but this time to the university, for two days to sample the Cambridge veterinary course and find out what I'll need to do if I want to stand a chance of getting into this very prestigious university.

And finally, sometime this summer, I'll hopefully be doing about 4 weeks work for a company (not found a definite place to go yet - it's very difficult to get placements with vets themselves, but I have in mind a veterinary laboratory that I applied to when I was 15, but they said I was slightly too young for them to have taken on); after which I'll be assigned a project with which to make a presentation to a committee (I think? Still need to find out a bit more info, hehe), and if my work is good enough, I'll get a special award.

So yep, that's my year! Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to return full time any time soon. :( But I do think of you all and all your pets a lot and really miss having conversations with some of the great people on here.

Hope you're all having a good 2009!

Zara

Taz_Zoee
01-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Wow, you are going to be one busy girl this year. But it will be so much fun for you. :D

Oh, and Happy Birthday!!! :)

beeniesmom
01-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Glad to hear from you!
Happy Birthday!

Karen
01-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Good to hear from you, and happy birthday!

Cataholic
01-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Happy Birthday! You are such a wonderful young lady, with so much going for you. Hard to believe you are "only" 17. May the next year bring you much happiness.

moosmom
01-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Happy Birthday sweet Zara!!!! I've missed you alot and wondered what you've been up to. Busy, busy, busy!!!! I'm so proud of you!!

Have a wonderful day sweetheart!!!

Freedom
01-20-2009, 04:59 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Take some time out from that busy school schedule to enjoy your day!

Miss Z
01-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Thank you so much, everyone. It's good to hear from you too! :D

boomersooner
01-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Wow!! You've probably have done (and will do) more in your 17 years than I've done in my 40 cough cough 7 years.....You will have a blast!!!!

Pembroke_Corgi
01-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Happy birthday! It sounds like you will have a busy, exciting year. Best of luck! :)

kitten645
01-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Happy Birthday to a very fine young lady! :love: I just finished watching All Creatures Great and Small. I read it as a child and seeing the BBC series really reminded me of when I wanted to be a vet in England and how different my life might have been. You are starting a very exciting part of yours now. Best of luck and we'll be thinking of you.
Claudia

Suki Wingy
01-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Wow, you are amazing! I could never do all that! Anyway, happy birthday, enjoy it!

K9karen
01-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Your determination is awesome! I predict you'll be a marvellous vet surgeon, no doubt about it. Best of luck with all your studies.
Hope you had a super 17th!

Lilith Cherry
01-20-2009, 11:26 PM
Happy Birthday! I hope you get into Cambridge - you would be an asset wherever you went! Have a great and productive year, Zara

carole
01-21-2009, 02:49 AM
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii185/jewellnz/GJ-HappyBirthday08.gif
To a lovely young Pter, you sure are going to be a very busy young lady, you are a bright lass and will do well, good luck with all your ventures for the future, and it was great you managed to stop by and tell us all what an exciting year ahead you have, take care.:)

Sonia59
01-21-2009, 04:21 AM
Happy birthday to you. What a year! I am sure it will be great. I hope you can go to Cambridge and do what you like. I can only approve the genetics and cell biology courses, this is what I did :D I wanted to be a vet too. Unfortunately my family did not have enough money to pay for the vet school studies, so I studied biology at the University instead.

Have a great year and come saying Hi whenever you want :)

Alysser
01-21-2009, 03:41 PM
*tackles* ZARA!!!!!! :D I haven't talked to you in so long. It's good to hear from you and glad all is well. I miss you around here, although I haven't been on much either. I hope you can come back soon! :(

Sorry we missed your birthday! HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!

lizbud
01-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Happy Birthday :) It's good to hear from you. Your parents must be
very proud of you. Keep up the good work.:)