PDA

View Full Version : How many people go to dog parks?

dreamparkingspace
01-19-2009, 07:01 PM
I went to one for the first time today. I had never been to one before because I was always under the impression that the closest one to Flint was in Lansing, but it turns out there is one in Flushing which is only about a 20 minute drive from my house. Anyway, I took Shawnee (Hector and Tatum stayed at home for the first visit 'cause I wasn't sure how it would go) and she had so much fun. There were only two other dogs there who were referred to as "camp counselors" (everyone probably stayed home today 'cause it was so darn cold) but the three of them ran around in the snow for about 20-25 minutes. One of the dogs in particular, Buddy -- some kind of Border Collie mix maybe with a Rottweiler, could really match Shawnee's energy level. They had a lot of fun. It was called "Woof Woods." Maybe I'll bring my camera next time I go there. How many people on this board go to dog parks with their pooches?

Cinder & Smoke
01-19-2009, 07:18 PM
How many people on this board go to dog parks with their pooches?

LOTS of us do!

Watch for the Spring announcement for the Annual Pet Talk *Gathurin* at the
Findlay (Ohio) Dawg Park on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend.

BIG Tyme Event - Lotsa Dawgs and Pet Talkers - *NICE* Park and
really GOOD Food and Socialization.

"Search" for "Findlay + Gathurin" to find the "reports" on past Gathurins.

There's a whole MOB of Dawgs & 2-Leggers who come down from Michigan.

EVERYbody and EVERYDawg are Welcome to attend!!

:D

Twisterdog
01-19-2009, 07:26 PM
We don't have a dog park in our entire county.

Even if we did, I doubt I would go. For one thing, I have six dogs, plus generally at least one foster/rescue dog. IMO, they have a big enough pack on their own, they have plenty of play and running buddies at home.

I live in a tiny town surrounded by thousands of square miles of open desert. I just take them three blocks to the edge of town and let them loose. It's the world's largest dog park.

shepgirl
01-19-2009, 07:38 PM
We don't h ave any either but we have plenty of bush where the trails are never ending so the dogs get plenty of exercise that way and we often meet other dogs and owners , even horses and riders so it's quite a bit of fun.

Karen
01-19-2009, 07:39 PM
We go to the Pet Talk gatherings at the Dog Park in Findlay Ohio! There's even a "time out" pen for dogs who are afraid of, or not getting along with, other doggies.

Freedom
01-19-2009, 07:42 PM
The ones around here are not very reliable. There are constant warnings that folks with small dogs should not go. There is just a fenced in area, no sections for sizes. Several small dogs have been attacked, at least 2 that I know of were killed. :( So it is not something I do.

This is why I love the monthly Meet Ups! The one I attend is all small breeds, my Marlin is the largest dog there at 18 pounds. My dogs don't run and play, they sit on the sidelines and watch, wondering "WHEN can we go home, Mom?"

Giselle
01-19-2009, 08:01 PM
I used to.

Dog parks are great, but the quality of the experience depends on who attends and the quality of the park itself. As a basic requirement, the parks have to be double-fenced, have separate areas for big/small dogs, etc. etc. As a basic requirement, the folks who go should have superior control over their dogs, no overly dominant dogs, no overly vulnerable puppies, etc. Pack mentality exists and dog parks are TEEMING with it.

Dog parks are only as good as the people and dogs who frequent them. Not all dogs are "dog park dogs". Unfortunately, few people actually realize that.

Dog parks: Use with caution! ;)

AllAmericanPUP
01-19-2009, 08:08 PM
I use to years ago but it's a 45 minute drive and when gas prices went up I stopped going.
Instead i just take my dogs to a fenced in ball diamond and let them play with each other..

luvofallhorses
01-19-2009, 08:13 PM
I don't just because we don't have one here. I do take them on the walking trail sometimes though. They are thinking of making one here though. :cool:

Taz_Zoee
01-19-2009, 08:13 PM
I used to take Zoee often for a few months. Then her issues got worse so I stopped taking her as much. And I've only taken Taggart once so far. I'm not against them, in fact, I like the dog park near my house. But I must work with Zoee in other surroundings first.

Casper
01-19-2009, 08:25 PM
I have always wanted to take Skylar to a dog park. He loves any and all dogs and would have a great time getting to play with some new friends. :) Unfortunately the closest dog park is over two hours away. That long of a ride would be too stressful on any of our dogs.

Though, knowing the risks that come along with a dog park (like those already mentioned) makes me a bit hesitant. I cannot even go to the vets office without seeing someone who does not have control over their pooch.

ramanth
01-19-2009, 09:32 PM
The one I go to regularly is the one here in Lansing (http://www.lansingdogparks.com/), but I have also been to the ones in Findlay, OH and Lake Orion, MI numerous times as well as a handful of others. :)

My two love dog parks. :D I'd be happy to meet you out there come Spring & Summer.

Suki Wingy
01-19-2009, 10:55 PM
We do when we can. It's $10 each time if you don't buy the yearly pass, which is a lot more money for us because we live over the county line.

mruffruff
01-20-2009, 09:26 AM
I try to take my two at least once a week.

We belong to a members-only dogpark. It requires UTD shots, $50 a year dues and well behaved dogs. The person that runs it checks out the dogs every year. Rules that aren't followed can get you booted out. The door has a combination lock, fenced in by an 8 foot heavy chain link fence. We usually go at off times so there are few other dogs there. Bella loves to streak back and forth the length of the park while Scruffy just snuffles around until he gets tired.

We had a problem a couple of years ago with a young dog, but he was asked not to return. Most of the people who come are older adults with socialized dogs.

k9krazee
01-20-2009, 09:55 AM
I take Mini and Jack to the Lansing dog park semi-regularly when I'm home. I don't get to go as often as I like because of school though.

*LabLoverKEB*
01-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Well, I do take my Rita to the park, under the trainer's wishes. She is very dog agressive, as some of you know. So, we walk to the dog park about two times a week, and just stay outside of the fence, and rewars her for NOT reacting to other dogs.

WELOVESPUPPIES
01-20-2009, 11:56 AM
I love dog parks. Chopper has been more than the others because he has gone to chi meetups in the past. Ours is opening at the end of the month and I cannot wait to take everyone to the park. They love interacting with all the other dogs. Thing is I can only take everyone if my hubby goes two as we would need to be in two different fenced sections due to the size difference.

kokopup
01-20-2009, 02:11 PM
I am not aware of any parks in our area. I have miles of wooded trail on my own land so I usually just take Koko out on our trails and let her run.We have a huge festival here every May just for pets. While "DO DAH DAY" is mostly dogs some bring parrots and a few cats. This years parades highlight was a huge tortoise bring up the rear. One of the main purposes of the festival is to raise funds for pet & other charities in the area. The Event seems to get bigger each year and is something we look forward in the spring. I think this will be the 30th year. I am always amazed that so may dogs can be in involved and they all seem to get along well. There are 50,000 plus 2 leggers and almost as many dogs. The event is held along highland Avenue in Birmingham. Highland is a like beautiful linear park that is about 10 blocks long. There are two actual parks inbeded, one has a bandstand for the concert held during the festivities.

Check out this link.

http://www.dodahday.org/default.aspx?id=10

pitc9
01-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Sierra and I make the 3 hour trip at least once a year to Findlay, OH for the PT meeting at the dog park. Other than that I've only had her to one other dog park. She gets plenty of play time at home with her brother Buddy. He can't go to the dog park, he has bad doggie manners. :o

boomersooner
01-20-2009, 06:24 PM
We've never been to one, but I have driven by the big one here in Dallas by one of the bigger lakes....They have a separate one for small and large dogs, but every time I've gone by, it is so crowded, it scares me a little, because, I, too have heard vets talk about how they have to put pups back together again because some irresponsible pet owner had a dog who didn't need to be out there at the park. (whew, how's that for a run on sentence!!) I really liked the idea of the members only dog park. One could really be selective, that way.

K9karen
01-20-2009, 10:20 PM
We started taking Logan last summer. There's a new park very near my house, but I still drive the 15 minutes to the one she's familiar with. We usually see the same people, plus newbies on Saturdays. If the weather is good, we also go on Sunday.

At first she kept to herself, sniffing the perimeter and purposely staying out of the way of running, barking dogs. Suddenly, she adapted to the melee and now picks out one dog around her size (the park is divided in two depending on weight) and follows it, but also runs with the pack! We are so excited and she seems to have a fantastic time! The people are great, take control over their dogs, pick up after themselves.

Ginger's Mom
01-21-2009, 03:21 PM
I used to take Ginger all of the time, she loves the dog park, and most of our experiences have been very very pleasant. We don't go as often now that we have Taz, because Taz is not as well mannered. I have to be careful where and when I take him. He is basically good, but a there are times I just do not feel like dealing with him.

Flatcoatluver
01-21-2009, 03:32 PM
We have a dog park on a huge park. I go to the park and hang out by the lake and let my dogs swim. I ONLY go to the dog park when there isn't any dogs in there. There is so many irresponsible owners that I have met, that bring there dogs to dog parks because they want to "fix" there dogs aggresion. Dog parks are not a way to fix aggresion IMO. It's not a risk I want to take. I have friends in my local dog club that we have meet ups in agility fields, and I let the dogs play with them. :)

kokopup
01-21-2009, 06:56 PM
I had mentioned earlier that we didn't have a dog park and I always looked forward to Do dah day here. In all the years I have been going I don't recall anyone bring the type of dog that is known to be aggressive. All the dogs that come to this event are all well socialize non
aggressive breeds. I'm sure there might be isolated aggressive episodes but during our lengthy stays over the years I have never seen any fights or even a snarls. We have 1000's of dogs in a 10 block area and all really runs smooth.

I'm sure that at some dog parks owners bring unsocialize aggressive dogs. We are lucky that these owners stay away from Do Dah day.

Giselle
01-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Nobody has ever deliberately brought a TRULY aggressive dog into our dog parks. HOWEVER, certain dogs (rambunctious adolescent Sporting breeds come to mind) can possess lackluster manners. When placed in a large, social setting, pack mentality kicks in. And when a dog snaps or growls at a rambunctious adolescent to warn it, that snap can initiate every dog around it. The same thing happens when young puppies are brought into the big dog areas. The puppies yip, the other dogs flood the puppy, and a mass attack ensues. It's disturbingly common.

Also, Kokopup, I believe the OP is referring to off-leash dog parks, where the dogs run uninhibited and socialize freely. Do Dah Day, while it looks very fun, seems like a completely on-leash parade VS. a traditional dog park.

kokopup
01-21-2009, 09:38 PM
You're right Do Dah day is on leash. I'm afraid that Koko may be a handfull off lease. During our annual Mt bike Race I usually let her run free with several other dogs. Not sure how she would do in a park as you describe. She always does well at the race and in a controlled environment. I do know that she doesn't have any concept of size. She plays with our cat and my son's small dog like they weigh 100 lb like she does. So far the cat and dog have survived her rough play. The cat loves it and comes after her if she stops playing. There is a gated community near by that I take her to frequently. They have a swimming lake that usually has 4 or 5 dogs swimming, She enjoys going there to swim and play even in the winter.

dreamparkingspace
01-21-2009, 09:46 PM
I live near Lansing (only about a 45 minute drive). What is the PT dog park meeting in Ohio er whatever it is?

Flatcoatluver
01-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Nobody has ever deliberately brought a TRULY aggressive dog into our dog parks.

I guess everyone has been pretty lucky with dog parks. I have been to seminars (for aggresion issues and rehabilitated it), and there was quite a few people that actually came out and said that they brought their dogs to the dog part to fix the problem. Luckily they finally decided that the dog park is not going to fix there dogs aggresion and decided to actually go to a trainer. I know from me watching dogs in the dog park, I have never seen any aggresion, but I have seen some dog fights and unsocilized dogs.

Giselle
01-21-2009, 10:40 PM
I suppose I meant the really truly aggressive dogs who react at the mere sight of other dogs :p I've never seen anyone bring such a dog into a gated park, but there surely are some folks who probably would do that. We should also keep in mind that a laaaarge number of dog-reactive/leash-reactive dogs ARE frequent dog park goers and ARE very dog friendly. Because it's so much more complex than dog friendly vs. dog aggro, I just choose to avoid parks altogether. It's fun stuff watching interactions, though. You really get to see the intricacies of dog communication :)

Cinder & Smoke
01-21-2009, 10:55 PM
What is the PT dog park meeting in Ohio or whatever it is?

Post #2 was directed towards you (repeated here) >>>

Watch for the Spring announcement for the Annual Pet Talk *Gathurin* at the
Findlay (Ohio) Dawg Park on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend.

BIG Tyme Event - Lotsa Dawgs and Pet Talkers - *NICE* Park and
really GOOD Food and Socialization.

"Search" for "Findlay + Gathurin" to find the "reports" on past Gathurins.

There's a whole MOB of Dawgs & 2-Leggers who come down from Michigan.

EVERYbody and EVERYDawg are Welcome to attend!!
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

Here's one of many threads about "Findlay Gathurins" - this one titled:
*Memorial Day Weekend *BASH* @ Findlay, OHIO Bark Park ~ *SUNDAY* MAY 25, 2008 ~

Link = http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=138621

/s/ Phred