PDA

View Full Version : Applying flea medication?

orangemm
01-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Just as I thought, we have fleas........:(:(:mad::eek:

Not bad, but topical meds must be applied. Unfortunately, Binky FREAKS out when we do this. Is there any way we can alleviate his stress and agitation? He is very strong and it's hard to get the stuff on his neck, plus he will hiss and growl at us.

Of course we will be ignored for several days. (that's the least of my worries)

I just want it to be easier for all of us..............:rolleyes:

lvpets2002
01-19-2009, 04:19 PM
:) Now I guess he would Freak if you tried a Flea Bath MMmm.. Now some Pet Stores have a mouse/foam you can just rub all over the baby & then leave it on them.. I guess you will have to use a collar..

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Our cats had fleas too last year!! It nearly took 3 months to get rid of them :mad:. The most important thing is: treat your cats with frontline Plus, 1 time per month.

Here is our story: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=145849

Good luck beating those *+=%µ !!

catmandu
01-19-2009, 04:58 PM
ITS VERY HARD WITH MY SENIOR CATS , AND IMPOSSIBLE WITH MY YOUNGER CATS , TO GRAB THEM, SEPERTAE A PATCH OF SKIN, AND THEN DROP THE ADVANTAGE IN , LIKE A FIGHTER PILOT DOING A BOMB RUN.
AFTER A SESSION WITH THE FOUND CATS , IT FEELS LIKE WORLD WAR 3:eek::eek::eek:

Catlady711
01-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Try wrapping your kitty in a bath towel leaving only an area of the neck exposed and holding him between your legs. Work quickly as possible so he won't be freaking out as long. Be confident, and be quick. Animals sense hesitation in us and will push that to the limit if you let them.

orangemm
01-20-2009, 04:23 AM
Well, we managed to get the stuff on him, but now he's avoiding us like the plague; hissing when we get too close, hiding when we walk by, and giving us "the glare".:rolleyes:

He'll get over it............then it will be time for the next dose!:eek::D

We can't figure out what the big deal is, why he reacts that way. I wonder if the stuff stings?:confused:

critters
01-20-2009, 05:29 AM
That's why we like Program--flavored pills. Frontline stung me when I got a faceful of it, plus FL & Adv both stink terribly, so they can smell you coming.

Catlady711
01-20-2009, 12:03 PM
That's why we like Program--flavored pills. Frontline stung me when I got a faceful of it, plus FL & Adv both stink terribly, so they can smell you coming.

Yes, I imagine the topicals smell worse to animals than people.

Program is an ok product, but it doesn't actually kill fleas, it's more like a birth control for fleas that they have to bite your animal for it to work. Most of the topicals actually kill the adult fleas and many also have a growth regulator in them too. Our hospital stopped carrying Program about 4 years or so ago.