PDA

View Full Version : Former foster Leda HAS BEEN returned UPDATE 3-1-09

jenluckenbach
01-19-2009, 08:02 AM
Leda was in a NYC shelter. PetTalker Lizzie wanted to adopt her. (see story links below)

Well, now she is coming back.

I am going to attempt to foster her, but she wasn't good with the other cats and the fosters I have now are not really good with other new cats. This ought to be fun. NOT!

Sometimes I wonder if people think we run a "rent-a-cat" service??? :mad:

Some of the threads about Leda:

Lizzie wants a foster home for Leda:
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=111740&highlight=Leda

Jennie and I plan to drive to get Lead from NYC:
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=111901&highlight=Leda

She arrives:
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=112142&highlight=Leda

Her first photo shoot
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=112610&highlight=Leda

Other updates
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=112892&highlight=Leda

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=113396&highlight=Leda

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=113825&highlight=Leda

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=114008&highlight=Leda

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=115004&highlight=Leda

Leda had a couple of possible adoptions before the "right" home came along;
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=118341&highlight=Leda

But of course, the person is moving and now Leda will be homeless again. :(

Grace
01-19-2009, 08:41 AM
GMAB - Leda has been with him for 2 years. So why can't she move right along with them?

Poor baby, she's got to be so befuddled :(

catmandu
01-19-2009, 09:39 AM
SOMETIMES JEN , I THINK THAT THE IDEA OF HAVING A CAT APPEALS TO PEOPLE, BUT SADLY :( ONCE THE NOVELTY WERAS OFF , AND THE ACT KNOCKS SOMETHNG OVER, OR THEY REALIZE THAT THIER FURRY FAMILY MEMBER NEEDS FOOD, LITTER AND VET CARE, THE FLAME IN THIER HEART GOES OUT.:(:(
I HOPE THAT LEDA CAN READJUST TO LIFE AT LUCKENBACH :love:MANOR :love:

Lizzie
01-23-2009, 02:25 PM
I feel so very sorry for Leda, that home looked perfect for her and it seemed like an incredibly happy ending after all she had been through. We all thought the guy who adopted Leda sounded great and truly appreciated her. I don't understand the "return when no longer convenient" way of thinking that too many pet owners seem to have. I'm also sorry that I can't help you out Jen, and I know well the pain of living with a cat that hates and attacks other cats.

I've just had a foster returned to me. I partly blame the person who approved the adoption application. The adopter was a single woman who had just bought a new house and had never had a cat before, not any experience with cats. I think she fell for Sidney's looks because she's a very lovely snowshoe mix with fabulous fur and brilliant blue eyes. But she's also very shy from being a feral most of her life and she suffers from compulsive over-grooming when stressed; the adoption counselor knew that. After six months with me she'd become very affectionate and all her self-inflicted wounds had healed, so she looked and acted great at the adoption event. Apparently she spent the two months in her new home hiding under beds and running away from her adopter. The adopter blamed the shelter for adopting out a cat that had been feral. Within hours of coming back to my home she was jumping up on the sofa for cuddles while I counted 12 new self-inflicted wounds.

These returns make you worry even more about every adoption.

jenluckenbach
01-23-2009, 02:36 PM
I actually did not update this thread yet because Leda won't be coming until tomorrow. (change of plans). So then we will see how she does here with the other cats.

"returns" are a REAL pet peeve with me. So many are for frivoulous reasons. And what do they (the owner) expect?!?! that there will automatically and magically be space in a foster home?? We don't sit around just waiting for you (the owner) to get tired of your new pet so she can come back.....we go out and help others. So now my house is full and she'll (as well as Locket and Velvet -also returns- did) put me over a comfortable limit.

Well, I'll update when I can.

CultureJunky
01-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Oh that's such a shame that she has to be returned, poor Leda. I will pray the right forever home comes along for her eventually.:love:

JustineNYC
01-23-2009, 03:16 PM
UM excuse me!!

I moved from Brooklyn NY to Mooresville NC. Roughly 600 miles, 11 hour drive in a Toyota Sienna with 7 CATS and 2 LABS.

My 7 cried the entire 11 hours. We stayed in a hotel the first night, do you have any idea how hard it is to get cats BACK into a pet carrier after an 11 hour drive in one? And a few of my cats are FERAL.

The moving excuse is BS. Im 24 years old and did it with no help whatsever.

I NEVER wouldve left anyone behind.

JustineNYC
01-23-2009, 03:25 PM
I actually did not update this thread yet because Leda won't be coming until tomorrow. (change of plans). So then we will see how she does here with the other cats.

"returns" are a REAL pet peeve with me. So many are for frivoulous reasons. And what do they (the owner) expect?!?! that there will automatically and magically be space in a foster home?? We don't sit around just waiting for you (the owner) to get tired of your new pet so she can come back.....we go out and help others. So now my house is full and she'll (as well as Locket and Velvet -also returns- did) put me over a comfortable limit.

Well, I'll update when I can.

I applaud you. When I was 13 I moved in with my grandfather and began feeding strays, very quickly I had about 30 of them, and I would take them in, most would be feral, theyd flip out, but Id give them food water and a cat litter and let them sit under the bed for however long it took.

I personally have never seen a feral cat not come around. Some are harder then others, but they all come around. If I was doing this at 13, its not brain surgery. My aunt, mother, cousin, and 3 best friends all have multiple cats I took in and "housebroke" for them. And I have 6 from the street, 7 total.

I know fostering is hard. I was lucky cause mine went to people I was close with. Im sure its hard when they go off with strangers and then this happens.

I dont understand how someone returned a cat that was staying under the bed? She obviously made no attempt to bond with it.

jenluckenbach
01-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Possible great news! Leda's dad is working on a place that WILL allow him to keep a cat. So, if this deal goes through, Leda will be staying with her family.

So PRAY! Pray as hard as you can that Leda and her dad can stay together.

G535
01-24-2009, 04:18 PM
Fingers and paws crossed that everything works out ok for Leda.

I spent five years with Finnigan in a flat that was "definitely NO PETS", it can be done.

Catty1
01-24-2009, 04:21 PM
Prayers that Leda may stay with her family. Obviously her humans weren't happy about returning her. Keep up the good fight, Folks! Leda is family! :)

phesina
01-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Prayers that this happy family will stay together!

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-25-2009, 06:51 AM
Prayers sent!!!:love::love::love:

Lizzie
01-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Have you heard any updates on Leda?

I remember having one foster returned who was awful with my other cats and I was in tears of relief when the shelter took him to an adoption event where he got adopted. He was gorgeous but far too large and imposing for my more fragile group.

jenluckenbach
01-29-2009, 02:41 PM
Let's hope that "No news, means GOOD news"

Leda'a dad was suppose to know by this past Monday and said he would call if he needed to bring Leda to me.

Since I have heard nothing, I assume she is staying!

Sure would be nice if he called me, though! I like to hear good news! :D

wolflady
01-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Oh I hope so! Do you have his contact info so you could just check in to see how Leda is doing? Hopefully no news IS good news :)

GILL
01-29-2009, 04:12 PM
all paws crossed

jenluckenbach
01-31-2009, 03:41 PM
Well, Leda is here. :( (sad because of the return)

She is hiding in the litter box in the cage I have her confined to. Porr thing must be confused.

She is as gorgeous as I remember her. And once she feels more at home, I will bet she will be as sweet as I remember.

jennielynn1970
01-31-2009, 05:38 PM
Why do people move to where they aren't allowed to have their pets with them??

Ugh.

I hope Leda will acclimate quickly and be a sweetie once more.

Grace
01-31-2009, 05:50 PM
Poor Leda. This entire situation is so disturbing. Would he move to a new place if it didn't allow his kids to be there? Not hardly.

momcat
01-31-2009, 06:06 PM
Oh Jen, I feel so bad for poor Leda. I am thankful that this sweet kitty girl was returned to your loving care rather than being put in a shelter somewhere or....worse.... being abandoned and left all alone to fend for herself outside somewhere. Bless you!:love:!

My prayers continue for Leda to find the loving, caring furever home she so richly deserves. The best part of all this is she has you solidly on her side.

Groucho sends you lots of purrs, headbumpies and kitty kisses to thank you for helping his fellow kitty in need :love: :love: :love:

jenluckenbach
01-31-2009, 07:22 PM
Oh, I should mention that when the man dropped Leda off tonight he added more to the "reason" (not that it matters.....she was suppose to be family)

Supposedly the man now has to do runs for work (he drives) that are sometimes as long as 5 days out not to mention the 5 days to get back....so Leda would have no one to care for her at home. (YES, he does live alone...with no family) So, what can a person do? :confused: I wasn't going to argue with him to find out how often this happens and why can't he have someone watch her, etc.

Anikaca77
01-31-2009, 07:26 PM
Oh, I should mention that when the man dropped Leda off tonight he added more to the "reason" (not that it matters.....she was suppose to be family)

Supposedly the man now has to do runs for work (he drives) that are sometimes as long as 5 days out not to mention the 5 days to get back....so Leda would have no one to care for her at home. (YES, he does live alone...with no family) So, what can a person do? :confused: I wasn't going to argue with him to find out how often this happens and why can't he have someone watch her, etc.

Yes I agree he could of found someone to look after her but at least he didn't toss her out and took her back to you where he felt that was a good thing to do.

I'm sure she will get a home quickly.

She sounds very beautiful.

Sorry about having those other 2 returned as well. Hopefully they will have a home soon as well.

Melissa

krazyaboutkatz
01-31-2009, 11:49 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Leda has been returned:( but I'm glad that she was returned to you. I'm sure that in time she'll come out of her shell and hopefully this time she'll really find the purrfect forever home. Good luck.:)

JustineNYC
02-01-2009, 12:29 AM

Its the move, its the job, bottom line, the guy didnt want the cat.

Im glad if she did have to go she is back with someone who puts her first.

jenluckenbach
03-02-2009, 11:18 AM
A little Leda update.

She spent the last 2 months in a room by herself. She hides most of the day, I believe, but she always comes out to visit me when I go to her room. she will NOT come out of hiding for Charlie.

As of last week, I had to bring the white twins (Angelic and Sarafina) home due to a spot of ringworm. So they needed Leda's room. Leda went to the adoption center for a trial run.

Sh has been VERY VERY scared. But, there is a lady who is thinking of adopting her. The lady is by herself (a widow) who lost her 2 elderly cats recently. She met Leda and even though Leda was petrified, the lady feels a "connection".

The catch is that the lady is moving ad won't be settled for 3 to 4 weeks. So Leda is going to spend some time in a differnt foster home, one that has a spare roo that she can have all to herself.

So spare a few thoughts for Leda and send some good vibes to her POSSIBLE new mom. I KNOW that Leda has the ability to bond with a person just as she has bonded with me.

orangemm
03-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Confused? That's probably putting it mildly. Poor girl, she has really had a bad time of it for the past year.:(:( I feel so badly for her.

I'll be praying that the woman who is interested in her will turn out to be her guardian angel. Before my MIL died, she had adopted a cat whose owner had passed away. Fred was terrified of anyone because he had only known one person his whole life. He must have hidden for weeks before he came out (we rarely saw him because he was scared of strangers), but they bonded. After she died, we had to find a new home for him and were lucky enough to find a wonderful woman who had other pets. Fred blended in with the family and lived for a few more years. So miracles do happen.

Keep us posted as to Leda's outlook!

catmandu
03-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Thats a shame about Leda , and we hope that this lady will be the person who will give Leda her place in the sun , and her furrever home!!!
She certainly does deserve a break after all that she has been through!!!:love::love:

Medusa
03-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Oh I'm sorry to hear this. Poor scared little girl. I do hope that the prospective adoption will work out. Gentle pets to Leda. :love:

cassiesmom
03-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Prayers for Leda and for Angelica and Sarafina too! :love:

phesina
03-03-2009, 03:41 PM
I lit a candle yesterday for Leda and the lady, for them both to have a wonderful home together.

jenluckenbach
03-03-2009, 05:38 PM
I lit a candle yesterday for Leda and the lady, for them both to have a wonderful home together.

I saw it, thanks! I lit one myself.

jenluckenbach
03-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Well, the adopter decided NO. She wants a 4 paw declaw. :(

I am waiting on an update of how Leda is doing in her new temporary foster home.

Catty1
03-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Good thing Leda didn't wind up with someone who wants a damaged cat! :mad:

There is a perfect loving person out there for her, I know it.