PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry cleaning

catnapper
01-19-2009, 07:52 AM
This is probably a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway :p

I have some jewelry cleaner for gold. I have silver jewelry in need of a good cleaning. Can I use the gold cleaner for silver? Would it hurt the silver?

pomtzu
01-19-2009, 08:09 AM
It won't hurt the silver, but it probably won't clean it very good either. If the silver is tarnished, you need a cleaner that will take off that tarnish. There are creams or pastes that work but are a pain to use. I use a liquid that you just dip the silver in and it takes the tarnish right off. Be careful when using it with jewelry that has stones or pearls in it, since it could be harmful to the stones. You can get this in the jewelry department at places such as Walmart.

catnapper
01-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Okie dokie. Its not tarnished in the least, just the stones look cloudy. The silver is a little dull, but a surface cleaning should give it shine again. :)

pomtzu
01-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Okie dokie. Its not tarnished in the least, just the stones look cloudy. The silver is a little dull, but a surface cleaning should give it shine again. :)

Then you should just be able to take a soft bush with warm soapy water to clean the stones, and then just use a silver polishing cloth on the silver part. :)

sparks19
01-19-2009, 08:58 AM
if you want to make the silver really shine put some white toothpaste on it and rub it in a little bit and then wash it off. the silver will gleam lol

As for the stones... like pomtzu said pretty much just some warm soapy water... heck wear it in the shower once LOL

pomtzu
01-19-2009, 09:10 AM
if you want to make the silver really shine put some white toothpaste on it and rub it in a little bit and then wash it off. the silver will gleam lol

As for the stones... like pomtzu said pretty much just some warm soapy water... heck wear it in the shower once LOL

That's right! I had forgotten about toothpaste, but still do that occasionally also! :)

kokopup
01-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Toothpaste is good but the best cleaner is baking soda. Make a paste of baking soda and water and use with a cloth to polish. If there are crevices that are hard to reach leave the paste on for a half hour then clean with tooth brush. Tarnish on silver is oxidation that is neuturalized by baking soda. If the tarnish is real deep in designs put in a pan with a sheet of aluminum foil in botton. Simmer in a baking soda solution for around a half hour. Make sure silver item is completely covered in solution. Stones will not be harmed unless they are plastic.:D