PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for Ripley - He's Better! Update #95

jazzcat
01-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Poor Ripley isn't feeling too well. He has kidney failure and I'm worried it may be that. We gave him some sub-q fluids here at home this morning and I'm watching him to see if that helps. He's resting now. I'm hoping he can make it till morning to see his vet but if needed we will go to the emergency vet sooner.

Please say a prayer for my old boy. He will be 17 years old in about 6 weeks on March 2. I'd like to celebrate one more birthday with him.

Here's a picture of sleepy Grandpa from last week.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/2009/IMG_0731.jpg

jenluckenbach
01-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Dear Ripley, you know that we are all praying for you. We love you and want only the best for you.

momcat
01-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Jazzcat,
Please know that many prayers are already being prayed for sweet Ripley and for you as well. If he's up for it, please give Ripley plenty of feel better scritchies and lovies from me? [[[[[HUGS]]]]] being sent for you too.
Please let us know what your vet has to say?

Vio&Juni
01-18-2009, 02:21 PM
We'll be thinking of Ripley.

Barbara
01-18-2009, 02:47 PM
I hope the sub-qs do it another time. When they are in kidney failure they are also prone to all kind of infections and don't have much energy to fight them.
Ripley- don't you want to have another birthday? Come on, please.

jennielynn1970
01-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Prayers being said for dear Ripley. I hope he'll be fine and is just having an "off" day.

Hugs to you!

Killearn Kitties
01-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Oh sweetheart, you know you are one of my favourites. Please, please, please hang on until that next birthday. :love:

Loads of cuddles to you, gorgeous.

Randi
01-18-2009, 03:25 PM
Oh poor Ripley. :( I hope he'll hang on and the sub-q fluids will help. Hopefully the vet can do something more tomorrow!

Sending lots of positive thoughts to Ripley. :love:

(((hugs)))

catmandu
01-18-2009, 03:40 PM
OH NO, NOT OUR DEAR OLD FRIEND RIPLEY.:love::)
ALL MY CATS , ESPECIALLY MY SENIOR KITTYZENS:):) WHO HAVE BEEN THROUGH THIER MEDICAL ORDEALS, SEND THIER PRAYERS TO DEAR RIPLEY. AND OUR SENIOR ANGELS ARE BRINGING HIM WARM SAND AND TREATS FROM TAHITI TO MAKE HIM FEEL BETTER.
HES SUCH A VERY GOOD CAT:love::love:, WE PRAY THAT YOUR WHITE COAT CAN HELP HIM.:love::love:

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Aw Ripley....., h is such a handsome cat!! Is he a main coon?
Prayers on their way to Ripley :):love:

carole
01-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Dearest Lori and Ripley, i am keeping all fingers and paws crossed here, that he picks up, i know what it is like, Ash is in kidney failure too, one day they look real bad and the next they pick up, i am only hoping it is the same this time around,thinking of you and sending you HUGS.:love:

jazzcat
01-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks everyone. Just a quick update. He hasn't moved from his spot since about noon today. I have him snuggled up warm but I noticed he has started drooling. I haven't been able to get him to eat anything today but I will try to entice him with some fresh cooked chicken in a little bit. I'm also amazed at how quickly his sub-q "bubble" went down. He must have been pretty dehydrated.

Lut - yes he is part Maine Coon.

Please keep the prayers and positive thoughts coming.

Taz_Zoee
01-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Just wanted to let you know I am thinking of the handsome Ripley.

Grace
01-18-2009, 06:07 PM
More prayers for Ripley.

jazzcat
01-18-2009, 06:35 PM
Just another quick update. I finally got him to eat a few bites of his food plus a soft treat, drink a little water and then I carried him to the litter box and he made a small pee biscuit. Now he's in his favorite hiding spot near a heat vent sleeping. As long as he doesn't take a turn for the worse I think we can make it till morning to see the vet.

I really started to worry when he wouldn't eat earlier but now I think he feels a little better from the fluids.

jenluckenbach
01-18-2009, 06:43 PM
I think the fluids DO make then feel better. Glad to hear he ate a little.

cassiesmom
01-18-2009, 07:32 PM
prayers for precious Ripley

carole
01-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Lori sometimes my Ash won't eat a thing until about 3 in the afternoon,no matter how much i try, and he loves cooked chicken too, he is having that today and eating well,they often feel quite sick in the mornings,and once that subsides he starts eating again, it is such a worry all right,i am keeping those fingers and paws crossed he will turn around in the morning and suprise us all, th e kitties are complaining about keeping their paws crossed, but i told them it is all in a very good cause.:):love:

weluvcats
01-18-2009, 09:27 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and Ripley...We lost our beloved Billy:love: (who was also 17) last June to CRF (chronic renal failure), so I know exactly what you are going through.
It does sound as though he is/was quite dehydrated. How long have you been giving him sub-q fluids?

I'm very glad to hear that you were able to get Ripley to eat something... Often when they don't feel well, they just won't eat, so if he's eating something, hopefully that means he's feeling a little better.

The fact that he is in his hiding place is a bit concerning...Cats tend to hide when they are sick, so, and I'm sure you already know this, keep a close watch on him. They can go south quickly with kidney failure, so it's very important to really keep an eye on him. During the night, if he seems to worsen, I wouldn't hesitate to call your vet, though. In the meantime, hang in there, and know that we are all praying for you and for your Ripley.:love:

Judy:)

P.S. If anyone is interested, there is a candle group at Light a Candle called "PURR" for cats...I just lit one for Ripley...Every little bit helps...

krazyaboutkatz
01-19-2009, 12:54 AM
Lori, I'm so sorry to hear that Ripley's not feeling well.:( I'm so glad that you were able to hydrate him and that he also ate a little bit today. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck at the vet tomorrow. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

ChrisH
01-19-2009, 06:09 AM
Poor Ripley. :( Keeping him, and you, in my thoughts and prayers.

Medusa
01-19-2009, 06:15 AM
I'm so glad to read that Ripley is doing a little better. My RB Puddy had CRF and whenever she was having one of those days, a subQ treatment always helped her to perk up. Atta boy, Ripley! :)

catnapper
01-19-2009, 07:12 AM
Oh Lori, I'm just now seeing this thread. Oh course we'll send lots of prayers his way.

Anikaca77
01-19-2009, 07:38 AM
I'm sending a lot of prays your way for Ripley. He's very beautiful.

Take care,
Melissa

jazzcat
01-19-2009, 11:42 AM
He's much better today. Actually he made a big turnaround after midnight. He wanted to eat and he drank for what seemed like half an hour. Today he's out moving around and seem much more normal. I'm holding the vet visit off right now. They told us to give him more fluids tonight and see how he is doing tomorrow. He gets so stressed going to the vet and it makes things worse so since he is improving and we have the fluids here he can get them stress free at home.

Thank you everyone for the healing thoughts and prayers. The power of PT prayers is amazing!

jazzcat
01-19-2009, 11:47 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and Ripley...We lost our beloved Billy:love: (who was also 17) last June to CRF (chronic renal failure), so I know exactly what you are going through.
It does sound as though he is/was quite dehydrated. How long have you been giving him sub-q fluids?

P.S. If anyone is interested, there is a candle group at Light a Candle called "PURR" for cats...I just lit one for Ripley...Every little bit helps...
I'm so sorry to hear about Billy. Yes, you do know what I'm going through. It's hard isn't it.

The vet set us up with the sub-q fluids back in Aug. but we've only had to give them to him a couple of times. For the first couple of years Ripley seemed to only need fluids about every 5-6 months but now it's more like every 1-2 months which I know is still very good.

Thank you for lighting a candle. That really gave my heart some comfort. :)

Barbara
01-19-2009, 11:50 AM
If he doesn't need the fluids more often there should be plenty of room for improvement. You know that for 4 years now, Filou gets them one time per week and some more when he had an infection.

momcat
01-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Just checking in to see how Ripley is doing today. My prayers for him and for you continue. Could I ask you to give Ripley some feel better lovies from me if he's up for it? :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Kirsten
01-19-2009, 01:12 PM
I'm glag to read he's doing better! Hang in there, Ripley!

Kirsten

weluvcats
01-19-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Billy. Yes, you do know what I'm going through. It's hard isn't it.

The vet set us up with the sub-q fluids back in Aug. but we've only had to give them to him a couple of times. For the first couple of years Ripley seemed to only need fluids about every 5-6 months but now it's more like every 1-2 months which I know is still very good.

Thank you for lighting a candle. That really gave my heart some comfort. :)

Lori...I'm so very, very glad to hear that your Ripley is doing so much better!:D Like you said..."it's hard isn't it..." Hard is right!:(
When you're on what I call the "CRF rollercoaster," the good days are so wonderful! When they have had a tough time, and then respond so well to the fluids, it just makes your day!
It may be that Ripley may be needing fluids more often, but even so, every month or so is still very good. Bless his heart...Does he tolerate and put up with getting fluids well? I hope so. We were lucky with that...our Billy:love: was always so good about that...I think he really understood that we were trying to help him.

I hope sweet Ripley continues to do well...In the meantime, hang in there, and know that there are many of us here who know what you are going through, and are praying for you all.:)

Hugs and Prayers!!:)

Judy

Randi
01-19-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm glad to hear Ripley has perked up and is eating/drinking. :)

I wonder if Fister drinks enough, it's like he's forgetting sometimes, and when I bring a glass of water and sit next to him, it's like he realizes he's thirsty and he will drink some after a little while - he just needs to think about it first. So I just have to be patient . :D

Kisses to Ripley - keep getting better, boy! :love:

krazyaboutkatz
01-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Lori, I'm so glad to hear that Ripley's doing better.:) I also had a scare with Storm today and I had to take him to the vet but luckily he's doing better now. It sure is hard to see our senior boys not feeling well. I hope he'll continue to improve.:)

CultureJunky
01-20-2009, 09:20 AM
So glad to hear ripley's doing better. Please give smooches and kisses for me :love:

Cataholic
01-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Lori,
Glad to hear that Ripley has made a positive turn. Hang in there, Ripley!

jazzcat
01-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Ripley has gotten worse over the past few hours. He's started drooling again and isn't moving around much. I called the vet and they are working us in at 3:45. I'm so glad they are because I know he really hasn't eaten enough the past few days and I can tell the sub-q fluids just aren't going to be enough.

I'll update when I get home.

weluvcats
01-20-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm sorry that Ripley is having such a tough time...back on the "CRF rollercoaster"...:( I'm praying for you both...Let us know what happens...

Hugs and prayers:love:

Judy

Sugaree
01-20-2009, 01:02 PM
:( I hope all goes well at the vet and Ripley is feeling better soon.

catlover4ever
01-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Lori, I hope all goes well. I will keep you and Ripley in my thoughts and prayers..

jazzcat
01-20-2009, 04:35 PM
We're back from the vet. I was there over an hour and honestly I thought I was going to be making a hard decision, thankfully that was not the case. We had to wait for 20-30 minutes to get Ripley's blood test and amazingly enough they weren't that bad. The vet told me he had expected them to be through the roof from the way Ripley looked and was acting but actually the numbers were only slightly increased from last time. He said Ripley was still in moderate kidney failure. I guess that's pretty good since that's where he's been for a couple of years. He is slightly anemic but that isn't a surprise with kidney failure.

The vet is afraid Ripley may have stomach ulcers due to the failure so I have to give him a slurry medication on an empty stomach twice a day to help heal them. Rip's weight is down almost two pounds but hopefully he will feel better and start eating. He gave Rip fluids and a B-12 shot.

We are to give him sub-q fluids here at home everyday for the next 3-4 plus he will get the slurry meds twice a day for 10 days. The vet said he's very hopefully we can get Ripley past this crisis but he said at first he really thought it was too late. Thank goodness the blood test numbers told a different story.

Please keep my old boy in your thoughts and prayers. He's not through this yet.

lvpets2002
01-20-2009, 04:43 PM
:love: WoW thats Great News for wittle Ripley.. I see you are going to be busy giving meds.. Come on Ripley & get well soon & eat eat eat.. Sending Lots of Huggss & Prayers..

Moesha
01-20-2009, 04:44 PM
I'm very glad to read this update. I sure hope that all the medications will help your boy to feel better very soon.

Killearn Kitties
01-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Ripley sweetheart, we have all our fingers and paws crossed for you here. Hope that medicine helps.

momcat
01-20-2009, 05:09 PM
This is very encouraging news! Come on, Ripley, take your medicine for Meowmie (and all of us who love you too) and eat your yummy food. Still praying for you and sending you more get better lovies :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Sugaree
01-20-2009, 05:22 PM
This is a great update. Hopefully the medication will help his tummy so he can eat something. :love: :love: Contiue to heal Ripley.:love:

Medusa
01-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Better news than you were expecting is great! We'll keep the prayers going so that Ripley continues to improve. C'mon, handsome, you can do it! :love:

jenluckenbach
01-20-2009, 06:08 PM
I am glad there is still hope for Ripley. Prayers he feels better SOON!

jennielynn1970
01-20-2009, 06:26 PM
So glad it was better news than expected for Ripley. Those slurries sound yummy, I hope he likes them! :)

Prayers on the way for Ripley to start feeling better, and eating more!!

phesina
01-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Prayers and love for Ripley that the meds work and he eats and feels better soon.

krazyaboutkatz
01-20-2009, 11:15 PM
I'm so glad to hear that Ripley's bloodwork still looks good and I hope that the slurries and extra sub-q fluids will help him. I'll continue to keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

weluvcats
01-21-2009, 11:11 PM
The vet is afraid Ripley may have stomach ulcers due to the failure so I have to give him a slurry medication on an empty stomach twice a day to help heal them. Rip's weight is down almost two pounds but hopefully he will feel better and start eating. He gave Rip fluids and a B-12 shot.

We are to give him sub-q fluids here at home everyday for the next 3-4 plus he will get the slurry meds twice a day for 10 days. The vet said he's very hopefully we can get Ripley past this crisis but he said at first he really thought it was too late. Thank goodness the blood test numbers told a different story.

Please keep my old boy in your thoughts and prayers. He's not through this yet.

About Ripley's tummy problem...Cats with kidney failure often have an overacidic stomach related to their reduction of kidney function, which can lead to ulcers. Our vet here put our Billy on a quarter of a regular strength Pepcid tablet a day to help reduce the stomach acid, which likely contributed to Ripley's problem. Once his tummy improves, you might want to consider asking your vet about the Pepcid as a possible way to try to prevent this from happening again. It worked very well for Billy...He was on Pepcid every day for the last two years of his life, and it helped him enormously.

In the meantime, I'm sending hugs and prayers for your old boy.:love:
Hang in there...

Edwina's Secretary
01-21-2009, 11:42 PM
Once again....eat...Eat...EAT!!! Ripley...drink your slurrpie and EAT!

orangemm
01-22-2009, 04:40 AM
I just read your post and am praying for Ripley; this seems to be a common ailment with senior cats. Sounds like you and the vet have it under control. Poor guy.:( Give Ripley some gentle pats from me. I remember going through this with our elder cats.

Lots of prayers for you both and a few hugs thrown in.

Feel better, Ripley!:love::love::love::love:

((((hugs))))

catlover4ever
01-22-2009, 07:47 AM
Lori, thank you for the update. I will continue to keep Ripley and you in my thoughts and prayers.

Anikaca77
01-22-2009, 08:31 AM
Prays coming your way for Ripley and for your family.

jazzcat
01-22-2009, 11:39 AM
The vet said we should have seen an improvement by Wed. night but we didn't and he still is the same today. It's almost like he's giving up or maybe the vet missed something. We can't get him to eat much. I'm trying canned kitten food and he will lick it but he only eats about a teaspoon worth at a time. It's like he wants to eat but then once he starts he quits for some reason. I don't think he is drinking much either. We are pushing the fluids and I'm amazed at the little output. He's drooling worse and all the time now too. It's thick slow drool that just hangs from his mouth.

He has also started to cry a little when we reach out to pet him like he thinks it's going to hurt. He's okay once we touch him and he will then relax some but it's weird. We've let him sleep with us the past two nights and each night he comes up and touches my arm to wake me up to pet him then he gets in close to me. That is not normal for him. My poor old guy.

Please keep the prayers coming. I've got a call into the vet but I have a feeling there isn't a lot more they can do.

krazyaboutkatz
01-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Lori, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I'll continue to keep Ripley in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Kirsten
01-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Poor Ripley! :( Please try to eat!

I'll keep him in my thoughts.

Kirsten

Taz_Zoee
01-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Oh no, poor Ripley. Poor mom too. I will be keeping you and Ripley in my thoughts and hope you can figure out what is going on with him.

Medusa
01-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Oh poor boy, I'm so sorry! Lori, ask your vet about Aluminum Hydroxide Gel. My RB Puddy took it twice a day to help her w/CRF and her acidic tummy and it helped tremendously. If your vet doesn't have it, I have some left, I can send you what I have left. Let me know.

Killearn Kitties
01-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Of course you and Ripley will be in my thoughts. Good luck at the vets.

phesina
01-22-2009, 01:38 PM
More prayers for dear Ripley.

weluvcats
01-22-2009, 01:52 PM
I'm so sorry about Ripley...I feel for you so much, because we just went through this with our Billy last year...I am hoping and praying so hard for you guys and for your Ripley...I've lit another candle for him at Light a Candle in the PURR group...Have you asked the vet about taking something like Pepcid or as Medusa suggested, aluminum hydroxide gel?...Both can help the stomach acidity which is behind the ulcer problem. I hope that they are able to help him, bless his sweet old heart...:love:

God bless and hang in there...Hugs and prayers to you both:love:

Judy

RICHARD
01-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Sending you out some good thoughts from California!:(

Keep you chin up and Hang Tough!

jenluckenbach
01-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Prayers for poor dear Ripley.

catmandu
01-22-2009, 02:35 PM
JUKE JOINT JOSEPH :love::love:HAS KIDNEY ISSUES TOO ALONG WITH HYPER THYROIDISM. AND SOMETIMES HE EATS, OTHE TIMES WHEN I BRING FOOD, HE ACTUALLY RUNS AWAY.:love::love:
ARE LIQUIDS HARD TO GIVE AS MY OLD TUXEDOS LOOKING THIN.:eek:
MORE PRAYERS FOR RIPLEY, ITS HARD TO SEE OUR CATS GETTING OLDER.:love::love:

jazzcat
01-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Have you asked the vet about taking something like Pepcid or as Medusa suggested, aluminum hydroxide gel?...Both can help the stomach acidity which is behind the ulcer problem. I hope that they are able to help him, bless his sweet old heart...:love:

God bless and hang in there...Hugs and prayers to you both:love:

Judy
I'm still waiting for the vet to call me back. This is the vet I usually see for the cats. Unfortunately she was off when I took Ripley in Tuesday so I saw another vet in the group. He's good but Dr. J specializes in cats. I think she is in surgery this afternoon so it may be awhile before she calls. I will ask her about those things when she does call.

I finally got Ripley to eat a tablespoon or so of canned kitten food mixed with warm water. He just wants to lick it like water. After a nap he came out of his hiding spot and walked through the house. I took him to his food and fresh water but he just turned his head and he didn't want the litter box either. Now he's sleeping on his blanket on my bed. Poor guy looks like a big dog with all the drool hanging down. :(

Randi
01-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Oh poor Ripley - and you. :( It's so hard to watch our kitties getting old and getting health problems. I so hope he will perk up and start eating more again.

Sending lots of good thoughts and hugs. :love:

Hang in there dear Ripley!

Lizzie
01-22-2009, 03:37 PM
I've only scanned through the responses because I only have access to PT at work now so have very, very little time to read or post, so my posting may have been covered already. Did your vet check Ripley's mouth for mouth/tongue ulcers? I didn't know this until last year when I had a foster with severe renal failure but CRF does cause mouth ulcers in the late stages. She also wanted to lap very wet food for a while and then wouldn't even touch water. It's very, very hard watching them go through this and I am sorry for both of you.

Queen of Poop
01-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Cali, Diego and I all send healing thoughts for dear Ripley.

ChrisH
01-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Poor baby. :( More prayers, healing, positive thoughts, and much love on the way.

Catty1
01-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Prayers and thoughts for handsome Ripley...I hope something as simple as tummy upset med can help him turn around, and checking his mouth too. With all the drool, I have to wonder about his mouth.

Maybe doing the wet food like broth for a while would be good.

{{{{hugs}}}} to Ripley and Mom.:love::love:

jazzcat
01-22-2009, 04:37 PM
The vet just called and she feels that Ripley is nauseated and she wants me to bring him in tomorrow for an injection to help ease that. She also wants to examine him herself to make sure there isn't anything else going on that the first vet may have missed. They are working us in at 2 pm. She told me to keep trying to get him to eat and give him sub-q fluids in the meantime.

jennielynn1970
01-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Poor Ripley. I hope that there is something they can do for him. That drooling would have me really worried.

Hugs and scritchies to Ripley, and hugs to you as well!

momcat
01-22-2009, 05:30 PM
The vet just called and she feels that Ripley is nauseated and she wants me to bring him in tomorrow for an injection to help ease that. She also wants to examine him herself to make sure there isn't anything else going on that the first vet may have missed. They are working us in at 2 pm. She told me to keep trying to get him to eat and give him sub-q fluids in the meantime.

Please know that you and Ripley remain very much in my thoughts and prayers. [[[[[HUGS]]]]] on the way, your PT friends are here for you :love: :love:
As you can please let us know what your vet has to say.....

doolittleky
01-22-2009, 05:56 PM
This last time when Yang wouldn't eat I started with warm water in with the S?D A/D and he would lap that up. He wasn't drinking much water either but he got it through the water I was adding to the a/d . It was like soup. That was the only thing he would touch. He get nauseated too and won't eat. My vet has me give him pepcid for that. I hope your vet can help Ripley feel better. It is so sad to watch and breaks your heart to watch it happen. I will be praying for Ripley.
Melissa

weluvcats
01-22-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm so glad you were able to get through to your regular vet, and that you can take Ripley in tomorrow. In the meantime, hopefully you can get him to eat a little, and at least, the fluids will keep him from getting dehydrated. With all the drooling, he may have some problem with his mouth or teeth, although Billy:love: did drool quite a bit too, but never had a problem with his mouth or teeth...Who knows?:confused:(It'd be great if they could talk, huh?)

Hopefully your vet can figure out what's going on with him...Poor, sweet old man...It's so tough to see them feeling so bad, when there's only so much that you can do to help them.:(

Hang in there...
Hugs and prayers for you all!

Emeraldgreen
01-22-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm so glad Ripley will be able to get into see your regular 'cat' vet for a second check-up. The drooling must be very difficult for you to watch. I too was wondering about his teeth or ulcers in his mouth but maybe it is nausea. I hope the vet will be able to get to the bottom of it. Maybe some baby food would be appealing to him?
Prayers going out for your handsome Ripley. :love:

E.T.A. drooling can also be a sign of a foreign body in the mouth or throat.

krazyaboutkatz
01-22-2009, 11:47 PM
I'm glad that Ripley will be able to see your regular vet tomorrow and hopefully she'll be able to diagnose his problem and make him feel better. He remains in my thoughts and prayers.

shais_mom
01-23-2009, 12:10 AM
hugs and prayers on the way...

Sugaree
01-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Good Vibes.

RedHedd
01-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Sending vibes and prayers - How's Ripley today?

GILL
01-23-2009, 01:10 PM
The CREW still has Ripley in thier prayers. Come on guy start feeling better.

Kirsten
01-23-2009, 02:14 PM
I hope Ripley's feeling better today. Constant nausea is awful, so the injection sounds like a good idea. He may start eating again when he's feeling less nauseaus.

Good vibes for Ripley from me also...

Kirsten

jazzcat
01-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Back from the vet. It looks like there is something going on in his mouth but it was too hard for the vet to get a good look. She could see red gums and a little pool of blood in the back but couldn't tell if it was a tooth or an ulcer problem. Since Ripley is almost 17 with a heart murmur and kidney failure going under for a dental is too risky so she gave him an antibiotic injection to see if it would help. In the meantime I am to keep up the fluids over the weekend and keep trying to get him to eat. He will slowly eat some of the can kitten food mixed with water so at least he wants to try to eat now.

The vet said from his looks and behavior it looks like the last stages of kidney failure but the blood work doesn't support that so she's hopeful we can get his mouth healed and get him feeling better. If he'll just eat and drink I think he'll get better quickly.

Kirsten
01-23-2009, 03:19 PM
So they think he may not be eating because of that problem in his mouth? :confused: Well, at least this explains where the drooling is coming from...

Kirsten

jazzcat
01-23-2009, 04:27 PM
So they think he may not be eating because of that problem in his mouth? :confused: Well, at least this explains where the drooling is coming from...

Kirsten
Yes, she thinks it must be the mouth issue. His blood work showed his kidney failure hasn't gotten much worse so it's not that even though all his symptoms pointed to it.

weluvcats
01-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Back from the vet. It looks like there is something going on in his mouth but it was too hard for the vet to get a good look. She could see red gums and a little pool of blood in the back but couldn't tell if it was a tooth or an ulcer problem. Since Ripley is almost 17 with a heart murmur and kidney failure going under for a dental is too risky so she gave him an antibiotic injection to see if it would help. In the meantime I am to keep up the fluids over the weekend and keep trying to get him to eat. He will slowly eat some of the can kitten food mixed with water so at least he wants to try to eat now.

The vet said from his looks and behavior it looks like the last stages of kidney failure but the blood work doesn't support that so she's hopeful we can get his mouth healed and get him feeling better. If he'll just eat and drink I think he'll get better quickly.

Poor old boy...Well, it sounds like from a lab work standpoint, he's not in too bad a shape. But his symptoms are telling a different story. I think the antibiotics are a good idea. Hopefully, whatever is going on in his mouth will be helped by them. I know it can be tough to treat these kitties with kidney failure, because they often have accompanying heart issues. Our Billy also had a heart murmur, which limited what we could do to treat him sometimes, too.

In the meantime, the best thing you can do is to continue with the fluids, and keep trying to get him to eat. Have you tried giving Ripley canned tuna? Billy would often eat that when he wouldn't eat anything else. Also, you might try warming his food a bit...Our vet told us that often these kitties prefer their food warmed as it enhances the smell of it and makes them more interested in eating it, and he was right. This worked quite well for Billy, particularly at the end when we had trouble getting him interested in eating anything. Just be careful not to get his food too warm.

Hopefully, if the main reason that he's not eating is what is going on with his mouth (which makes sense), the meds will help, and he'll eat more, soon.

Hang in there...Hugs and prayers!!:love:

jenluckenbach
01-23-2009, 04:51 PM
I sure hope the antibiotic helps hs mouth feel better. Then he can go back to eating without pain and hopefully will be good for a long time yet. :love:

krazyaboutkatz
01-23-2009, 11:04 PM
I sure hope that the antibiotics will help him and that he'll start eating much better very soon. You could also try feeding him some chicken or turkey baby food. Ripley continues to remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Medusa
01-24-2009, 03:53 AM
I don't want to sound like a harpie but did you have an opportunity to ask your vet about Aluminum Hydroxide Gel? Aside from helping w/CRF and nausea, it also will help to heal whatever is going on inside his mouth. Puddy got a dropper full twice a day and it really helped. :)

Vermontcat
01-24-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm sorry I didn't see this thread until now.
I'm sorry to hear that Ripley hasn't been feeling well lately.
I hope you and your vet figure out some way to make him feel better soon.

orangemm
01-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Me, too.......lots of prayers and good thoughts going up for Ripley. We dealt with kidney issues with three of our cats and it was a day by day thing. They had good days and bad, but we tried to make all days good for them.

Lots of love and good karma for Ripley..............:love::love::love:

Barbara
01-25-2009, 11:20 AM
I am absoutely convinced by now it is not the last stage of kidney failure. Filou needed tooth cleaning two times since he is in kedney failure and the vet always gave him a very light anesthesia- because of course when they have a mouth and teeth problem they cannot eat and kidney kitties need to eat.
So I hope Ripley will be better soon and have some more years.

catmandu
01-25-2009, 02:54 PM
MY JUKE JOINT JOSEPH :love::love:AND MICHAEL THE DREAM CAT :love::love: BOTH EAT THE SCIENCE DIET A/D FOOD AND THE MEDICAL CONVOLRSCENT FORMULA. WITH A TOUCH OF SOUP BROTH, MAYBE DEAR RIPLEY WOULD LIKE THAT AS WELL.:love::love:
WE ARE PRAYING FOR RILPEY EVERY NIGHT, HES SUCH A WONDERFUL MATURE CAT:love::love:
WE WISH WE COULD HAVE SENT THE SEA FOOD CHOWDER PUREED WITH CREAM THAT OUR AUNT JANICE BROUGHT OVER SATURDAY NIGHT.
DID MR PURRR PURRRRRRR!!!:love::love::

jazzcat
01-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks for all the prayers and good thoughts. Ripley is doing better, finally. It took the antibiotics to bring him around and now 48 hours later he is eating better, drinking on his own and being his regular grumpy old grandpa self. When he ran ahead of me to the door to grump that he wanted to go out to the garage I knew we were past the crisis. He's still not 100% but he is definitely on the road. Whew! I'm hopeful his food intake will keep increasing too.

I'm suppose to call the vet tomorrow for an update. I want to ask her about giving him another antibiotic injection towards the end of the week because she said they last about 7 days. I don't want to risk the mouth issue flaring back up.

ChrisH
01-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Prayers and good thoughts continuing for dear Ripley, how is he today?

Edit: We must have posted at near enough the same time. That is such good news. :D

Randi
01-25-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm so glad to hear Ripley is doing better!! :) Hope he'll continue to eat well! Another antibiotic shot may be a good idea, though. Your vet will surely know.

Sending more good thoughts to Ripley. :love:

Taz_Zoee
01-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Whew! I am so glad he is getting better. It's great that the vet discovered what the problem was and is fixing it. :D
Woo Hoo Ripley, keep getting better "grumpy old man". ;) I have a grumpy old man here too, so I know how it is. :p

weluvcats
01-25-2009, 05:04 PM
...I'm suppose to call the vet tomorrow for an update. I want to ask her about giving him another antibiotic injection towards the end of the week because she said they last about 7 days. I don't want to risk the mouth issue flaring back up.

I am so glad to hear about Ripley!!!:D Some good news for a change! Another round of antibiotics is a very good idea, just to be on the safe side. Bless his heart!:love: I'll bet he is so happy that he's feeling better (I'll bet you are, too!;) ) I guess all the PT prayers and candles worked, huh?? I hope he continues on the road to recovery. Great news!!!

Medusa
01-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Oh good news about Ripley! They sure can give us worries. You mentioned that your vet gave him an antibiotic injection that lasts 7 days. My vet gives Convenia injections which lasts 14 days. Perhaps ask your vet about that one. At any rate, Ripley appears to be on the mend and this is good!

Emeraldgreen
01-25-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm so glad that Ripley is feeling better! His mouth must have been pretty sore and it sounds like the antibiotics and really kicking in. I hope he continues to improve. :)

phesina
01-25-2009, 07:55 PM
What great news about Ripley! You go, boy!

cassiesmom
01-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks for all the prayers and good thoughts. Ripley is doing better, finally.

Yaaaaay, Ripley! This is good news!

krazyaboutkatz
01-25-2009, 11:58 PM
This is wonderful news!!!:D I hope he'll continue to improve and eat better.:) I too have a grumpy senior so I can relate.;)

RICHARD
01-26-2009, 12:07 AM
PT prayers rock!