PDA

View Full Version : First book on emetophobia (fear of vomiting)

Kirsten
01-18-2009, 05:07 AM
Don't know if this is interesting for anyone, but there's a book on emetophobia now: Living with Emetophobia (http://www.amazon.com/Living-Emetophobia-Coping-Extreme-Vomiting/dp/1843105365/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232276322&sr=8-1) As far as I know, it's the very first book ever written on this subject.

Emetophobia is one of the Top 5 phobias worldwide, but the strange thing is that most people don't even know that there's such a phobia.

Well, fact is, I've been dealing with that all my life, and when I read the first chapters of the book (there's a preview on amazon.com), many of the things mentioned there sounded very familiar, so I ordered the book. :) Guess it's going to be interesting to read - well, at least for someone who's affected by it. :D

Anyone else here who has to deal with this?

Kirsten

jenluckenbach
01-18-2009, 08:11 AM
WOW! I read the exerpt and it was fascinating. I not only hate to throw up, but I hate when someone else is around me when I throw up, and I can't listen to someone else throw up. But, I am still no where near as bad as those people who have emetophobia. That must be horrible for them.

Kirsten
01-18-2009, 08:20 AM
Hi Jen! You're right, it's not only horrible to throw up yourself, it's also causing panic when you see someone around you doing it. It hate the sound, and especially the smell. There were times when I even couldn't see someone throwing up on tv (but that's something I'm coping better with now). And like you, when I'm feeling sick, I cannot stand anyone being around me.

This time of the year (January, February) is always very challenging for an emetophobic because all kinds of stomach bugs are going around. Every now and then you hear about someone who has it, it makes you wanna stay at home and never leave your house (but of course I have to, and then I'm worrying for days that I may have picked something up).

BTW, for some reason, I have no problem with vomiting kitties. :D

Kirsten

Moesha
01-18-2009, 09:10 AM
It hate the sound, and especially the smell.

BTW, for some reason, I have no problem with vomiting kitties. :D

Kirsten

Is there anyone that likes the sound or the smell? HAHAHAHA Who knows there probably is.

I have a problem with any kind of vomiting, even kitty puke. I would not make a good mom.

DJFyrewolf36
01-18-2009, 09:20 AM
I used to be majorly nervous around anyone vomiting, and I would absolutely NOT want to be the one doing it! Having my stomach pumped as a teen made it all that much worse. Now I'm kind of ok with it having to deal with a little one...for some reason when Nick spits up it doesn't bother me lol. But if its other people or the cats even I run for the hills. The worst part about it for me is the sound...ugh.

Its actually nice to know that this is a legitimate phobia! I thought I was just being a complete wuss about it. Maybe I should read this book too!

Kirsten
01-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Is there anyone that likes the sound or the smell? HAHAHAHA Who knows there probably is.

Certainly not! LOL But for an emetophobic, it's even worse than that. You'll have all the symptoms of a panic attack (trembling, sweating, nausea, hyperventilation et.) People would often say to me "well, nobody likes it, so what's the point?" But everyone's understanding as soon as an arachnophobic freaks out when he's spotting a spider...

I would not make a good mom.

Well, same here. A friend of mine has two kids, and they throw up all the time. Every time I talk to her, somebody in her family seems to have a stomach flu...

I run for the hills.

When I was a child, I jumped out of the car when my sister vomited. Luckily, my father was already slowing down, so I didn't get injured. Needless to say, I got scolded by my parents for that. But I couldn't help it, I just had to get out of there, no matter what.

Its actually nice to know that this is a legitimate phobia! I thought I was just being a complete wuss about it.

So true! Until a couple of years ago, I was thinking the same. It was actually here at Pet Talk that somebody told me there's a name for it.

Kirsten

Twisterdog
01-18-2009, 12:06 PM
You learn something new every day. I had no idea there was an actual phobia of vomitting. Hmmm ....

Personally, I don't know of ANYone who likes it. Everyone I know avoids doing it, seeing it, cleaning it up, etc. A lot of people I know get ill themselves if they have to deal with someone else throwing up. To me, this is normal.

I don't know ... seems to me a true phobia involves something that someone is truly terrified of, but that others have no problem with or actually like. For example snakes, spiders, leaving the house, heights, being in a small space ... most people aren't terribly bothered by those things, and some people really love them.

Vomiting just seems a little different to me, in that NOONE likes it.

Kirsten
01-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Well, like I tried to explain in my post above, it's a difference between "not to like" something or to panic over something. Like, when you jump out of a driving car because somebody in the car vomits, or like being terrified for days when someone around you had a stomach flu, and you cannot think of anything else... The book described the case a woman who got pregnant and even though she wanted a child, she had an abortion because she feared the morning sickness... It's a real phobia, and even worse because you cannot stay away from the things you fear. Like they say in the book, you can run away from spider, but not from your own stomach...

Kirsten

Taz_Zoee
01-18-2009, 02:07 PM
Wow, I also never heard of this phobia. But I guess there is a phobia for everything if you think about it.
It's a good thing I don't have a problem with vomit (not that I like it or anything). Working with children for 12 years, I would have never made it. In fact, I had a baby that acid reflux. He would throw up after eating all the time if he didn't get his meds at the exact time he should.
I worked with a girl that couldn't even stand to wipe a childs nose. Then she got pregnant and I was like - oh dear, how are you going to manage? But as someone else stated, it was all fine with her own child.

So does this book teach you how to deal with it? Or is it just a book of other peoples stories who suffer from the same thing? (Sorry, I didn't look at the link.)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
01-18-2009, 02:21 PM
I also live with this phobia. I get nervous, shaky, dizzy and can have panic attacks. Sooooo nice to know I'm not the only one! I'll have to look at the book!

Kirsten
01-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Working with children for 12 years, I would have never made it.

That's true! I think I couldn't do that, seems to me that kids always have some kind of stomach bug! :eek:

So does this book teach you how to deal with it? Or is it just a book of other peoples stories who suffer from the same thing?

Well, judging from the reviews on amazon, it doesn't offer too many solutions, it's more that people share their experiences, I think. I don't know if there's any kind of therapy, or treatment to cure that.

I get nervous, shaky, dizzy and can have panic attacks. Sooooo nice to know I'm not the only one!

Yep, that's ecxactly how I'm feeling!

Kirsten

sumbirdy
01-19-2009, 01:34 PM
I have this! It's nice to know I'm not a sissy! I'm fine with dog puke, and when my nephew pukes, but everyone else just freaks me out. And I HATE to do it myself. (I know everyone does, but I'm to the point of panicking about it)

A few weeks ago me and my mother both had a stomach bug and my dad made us stay in the same room so he could take care of us better. I had to sit in a recliner across from her and I cried every time she threw up because I couldn't get away. It was awful. Everyone here says they wouldn't make it as a mother, but I wouldn't make it as a NURSE. Could you imagine being around that every day (and cleaning up after it?) It makes me sick to think about it.

shepgirl
01-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Kirsten you made my day. I had no idea there was such a thing as being phobic about throwing up but the way it's described fits me to a T. I'm going to have to read that book, it might just help me. Due to a health problem I can have 2-3 days where I throw up every half hour which lands me in hospital on IV, not pleasant at all. But I've always had a problem with this and I think it did turn me phobic because if I get that queasy feeling I turn cold as ice, sweat pours down my body and I feel like the ground will open up and swallow me. If I hear someone throw up I will soon be doing the same. When my kids were little I wanted to lock myself out of the house when they got sick and I had to clean it up because I used to throw up while cleaning it up.
Amazing what you learn on a dog forum. Fortunately, these bouts have ceased for 7 mos.now and I'm floating on air. I want to read the book for the next bout, might help me feel a bit better or give me ideas on how to just cope better. I should bring the book to the hospital for the nurses, they might feel better reading it because they just stand there feeling so helpless not being able to control my bouts even with Gravol. They know it will eventually stop but they try so hard it makes me feel guilty.

Kirsten
12-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Argh, it's that time of the year again! :eek: Heard that a stomach virus is going around here in town.

Yesterday, I had a little photography job with a group of people, and one of them was said to have a stomach bug... Needless to say, I was pretty nervous around these people!

More and more I'm getting aware of the fact that this phobia is having a huge impact on my life. Dealing with lots of stomach problems and an almost constant nausea myself, it's really hard for me being around people, just in case I could get sick in front of them. It's such a weird phobia, and not easy to cure - if it can be cured at all! :rolleyes:

Kirsten

Catty1
12-12-2009, 11:26 PM
Googled for treatment options:

Desentization

This means that the person is gradually desenstized, using exposure to pictures of vomit and individuals vomiting, with accompanying sounds. Images are graded in categories, according to the amount of anxiety thought to be evoked.
Anti-emetics

This is anti-sickness medication. These reduce the symptoms of emetophobia, but do not give a cure.
Cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT)

This therapy explores and seeks to understand the thoughts behind emetophobia, and what lies behind it – readdressing irrational and negative behaviours.
Clinical hypnotherapy

This can be useful because the process aids relaxation, and builds confidence – lowering anxiety levels in the emetophobe.

It has been noted that some people with emetophobia get better after they have actually vomited. This is particularly relevant for women who experience morning sickness in early pregnancy.

Read more at Suite101: Understanding Emetophobia: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment of the Phobia of Vomiting | Suite101.com http://phobiasanxiety.suite101.com/article.cfm/understanding_emetophobia#ixzz0ZXhCS0T9

Since gradual exposure is not realistically possible with the fear of vomiting itself, select programs utilize advanced metal rehearsal exercises that allow the individual to experience the feared scenario in their mind's eye in a manner in which the subconscious takes the imagery as reality, not unlike self-hypnosis. This is a very effective technique when taught properly and even more powerful when incorporated with cutting edge methods from neuro-linguistic programming (NLP). All of the above can be used not only as means of desensitization to the fear, but as means of quickly teaching relaxation in the face of the anxiety.

Unfortunately, due to the relative rarity of emetophobia, there are very few resources for individuals to turn to for assistance with this debilitating phobia. The most comprehensive system available in my opinion is the Emetophobia Eraser program which includes not only all the exercises and techniques discussed, but significantly more, in an easy to follow step by step solution specifically geared to emetophobia. More information can be found at http://www.EmetophobiaEraser.com

http://www.fear-of-being-sick.co.uk/emetophobia_treatment.htm