PDA

View Full Version : I Hope This Is Not Precedent!!

shais_mom
09-19-2002, 12:24 AM
I saw this over in the Golden Retriever board. They are not happy about it!!
I believe this is in Washington. Correct me if I am wrong.
http://www.yakima-herald.com/cgi-bin/liveique.acgi$rec=57354?home

aly
09-19-2002, 12:30 AM
Uhhh, what the heck does the weight of a dog have to do with the probability of biting :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

C.C.'s Mom
09-19-2002, 12:49 AM
It's like that in the town we live in. If your dog is on a list (the so called dangerous fighting dogs and large breed dogs), your dog taxes are much higher than for other dogs. You also need a special card with the dog id on it and picture (you always have to carry it with you), your dog has to be on a leash at all times, and many dogs have to wear a muzzle.

In public transportation all large dogs have to wear a muzzle.

It's so ridiculous!

Cookiebaker
09-19-2002, 05:31 AM
That is so ridiculous! Out of 40,000 dogs that weigh over 40 pounds, I have a feeling that this "law" or whatever you want to call it, would benefit a handful. So EVERY dog has to be punished for a handful of misbehaved dogs???? It just doesn't seem right.

Dixieland Dancer
09-19-2002, 09:39 AM
There is no story when I click on the link. :(

turner
09-19-2002, 10:04 AM
I can't see the story either?:(

Cookiebaker
09-19-2002, 10:09 AM
Try this...

Click Here (http://www.yakima-herald.com/cgi-bin/liveique.acgi$rec=57354?home)

I think there was something wrong in the original link...

Cinder & Smoke
09-19-2002, 10:23 AM
City of Mabton;
State of Washington;
USA ??

Sounds like a great place to NOT be a "Big Dawg" :(

DoggiesAreTheBest
09-19-2002, 10:34 AM
Owners of dangerous dogs are also required to display signs at their residence to warn children, and provide proof of liability insurance and a bond worth at least $50,000, payable to any person injured by the dangerous dog.

I don't want to sound mean or rude, but children should be taught not to trespass into people's yards. Big Dog, Small Dog, No Dog! If you know the owners, then go ahead kids! Owners of aggressive dogs should have better sense than let their pet roam uncontrolably!

Aly: Uhhh, what the heck does the weight of a dog have to do with the probability of biting

That's exactly what I would like to know! I would love to see the scientific research that proved that theory!!

Dangerous dogs -- dogs with a tendency to display threatening behavior, attack other animals or people without being provoked or known to be part wolf -- are to be confined or leashed and muzzled at all times.

I will be sure not to move there!

wolf_Q
09-19-2002, 10:49 AM
I haven't read the story, but if it's about dogs being more likely to bite if they are bigger, that is NOT true! It just depends on the dog AND the owner! From doing the grooming, so far all of the dogs that have bit at us and have had to be muzzled were all small dogs! (except one medium sized one--probably 40 lbs). And I agree with Souraya, people should keep their kids out of somebodys yard!! It's not fair--if your dog is in your backyard, minding it's own business, some kids jumps over your fence, starts poking sticks in the dogs face, and the dog defends itself and bites--the dog will be blamed!

sammi
09-19-2002, 10:53 AM
That just seems unreal! Muzzle all dogs over 40# - that dosen't even make sense.

You can imagine how bad that will hurt dog rescue for bigger dogs.

P.S. Will be intresting to read the letters to the editorial in a couple of days.

Big dogs aren't always the ones that bite - my mom's dog who was poodle would have bite you in a flash if she felt threatend - long b/4 my black lab/greyhound would have (if ever) this was 10 yrs back.

pupper-lover
09-19-2002, 12:42 PM
That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read! :mad: Its' a stupid law, but if it applies to one dog, it should apply to all! I'm so tired of all this breed bashing, size bashing, etc. If people would stop creating these pointless laws, maybe we could deal with the real problem : irresponsible owners and irresponsible breeding. Big dogs are not the problem. Pit Bulls are not the problem. People are the problem.

Despite my dogs' socialible dispositions, I have experienced some of this displaced fear. Addie is part pit bull, and Jake is just huge. I have had people grab their children in terror :rolleyes: , lots of rude looks and stupid comments, and I was even asked not to walk my leashed dogs in the complex next door. Supposedly, my dogs were scaring people with small dogs. We never got anywhere near another dog, so I'm not sure how the mere presence of my dogs was such a threat. Neither Jake nor Addie, did so much as bark or pull. We didn't even leave any "gifts" for them in the grass.

I really wish that people would become more educated on the topic before they started punishing innocent owners and their dogs. There are always uncertainties in life. We can't live in padded cells afraid to live. Muzzling dogs is just a way to mislead people so that they feel safe. My bet is that the responsible owners will muzzle their dogs, while the irresponsible ones will not. Sigh . . . :(

Albea
09-19-2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
City of Mabton;
State of Washington;
USA ??
Sounds like a great place to NOT be a "Big Dawg" :(
Cinder and Smokey:
I couldn't agree with you more!!! As always, you've come out with just the best line.:D
If only more people were as smart as the two of you, this would be a better world for our four-legged friends. Love to you both.

Andie
09-19-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by pupper-lover
That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read! :mad: Its' a stupid law, but if it applies to one dog, it should apply to all! I'm so tired of all this breed bashing, size bashing, etc. If people would stop creating these pointless laws, maybe we could deal with the real problem : irresponsible owners and irresponsible breeding. Big dogs are not the problem. Pit Bulls are not the problem. People are the problem.

Despite my dogs' socialible dispositions, I have experienced some of this displaced fear.

I hear you! Since Bull looks so much like a Pit there is so much fear of him. I've taken Bull to one of my lil bro's baseball games only to look around and find no one within 10 ft of us. Kids take off running when they see us out walking, which just makes both the dogs pull cuz they think its a game. More people need to be educated about larger dogs and these "dangerous dogs"

Cincy'sMom
09-19-2002, 03:59 PM
The issue of Dog Fancy that just came in the mail (would that be Nov.?) has an article about variuos brreds that are hard to get home insurance for. Of course it includes, Pit Bulls, Rotties, GSD, Chow, and huskies and others I wouldn't have guessed like St. bernard's and Dalmations. I don't agree with putting restrictions by breed or weight. How about history, like if the dog has been unprovoked in the past?

shais_mom
09-20-2002, 12:44 AM
Yes Amy it is the Nov issue I got it today also. Souraya, I agree children need to be taught to not come up to strange dogs no matter what the size. We were out walking once and a weiner dog and a doberman came running out to us and the owner hollered at them and told us "don't worry about the big one, it's the little one you gotta watch out for!!"
When I used to walk Shaianne kids would come running up to her, she loved it but it scared me. One day I was walking down the street and the little kid that was across the street yelled." I wanna pet that dog!" and I thought he was going to run across the road but he didn't!
Kids do the same thing to Keegan which is fine, she is more aggressive than Shaianne was, except with kids so far, but she is still exuberant in her puppiness!!! I am afraid that she will knock them down.

anna_66
09-20-2002, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by pupper-lover
Big dogs are not the problem. People are the problem.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

turner
09-20-2002, 10:04 PM
I agree with pupper-lover. The problem is not the DOG and the size or the breed BUT stupid pet owners. And I am tired of hearing that Pit Bulls & Rotties are the most dangerous breed and should never be trusted around children mostly! Can I just say BULL_ _ _ _! Alot of the dangerous dogs are not the dogs over 40lbs, and what does that have to do with it! I know some cats that are just or more dangerous than dogs!!!!!

geeeeeeeeeeeeez people. People need to be educated before they run off at the mouth and make stupid laws up! It just makes me sooooooo angry when I hear another stupid law that have made up for dogs! Stay out of MY yard and you won't get bit, its just that simple!

:mad: :mad: :mad: