PDA

View Full Version : Four ways to de-stress trips to the vet - Yahoo

Catty1
01-17-2009, 11:09 AM
http://ca.lifestyle.yahoo.com/pets-cats/blog/thinklikeacat/33/four-ways-to-de-stress-trips-to-the-vet

Four ways to de-stress trips to the vet

Posted Wed, Jan 09, 2008

Does your cat turn from Sweet Kitty to Psycho Cat when his annual vaccination day rolls around? Well fear not -- there are things you can do to make the experience less traumatic. You may not get the Happy Dance at the sight of the vet's, but any way you can reduce anxiety will help.

So try these tips:

AVOID BUSY TIMES. The longer your cat sits in the waiting room, the more anxious he'll become. So if possible, schedule your appointment when the clinic is not as busy.

MAXIMIZE CARRIER COMFORT. Your cat will probably feel more secure if he can remain in his familiar carrier. So choose the kennel-type carrier, where the top and bottom disconnect -- that way the veterinarian can remove the top and your cat can remain seated in the base. This type of carrier will also reduce anxiety because the veterinarian won't have to reach inside to extract your panicky cat. Also be sure to line the carrier with a towel from home.

PROVIDE PEACE AND QUIET. If the waiting room is filled with animals and noise, your cat might prefer remaining with you in your vehicle (just make sure never to leave the cat in the car alone!). If you have a cell phone, tell the receptionist you're waiting in the parking lot and will come in as soon as she calls.

If you don't drive a car, try bringing a towel to place over the carrier so kitty will feel hidden. And if a barking dog is fearful to your cat, check around for a cats-only clinic, or one that has separate waiting areas for canines and felines.

ENLIST PHEROMONE HELP. Feliway contains synthetic feline facial pheromones, which are scent chemicals that cats release from facial scent glands. These help calm the cat and create a sense of familiarity. Just spray a squirt of Feliway in the inside corner of the carrier 20 minutes before placing your cat inside.

One final tip: If you stay calm, you'll help kitty stay calm!

Randi
01-17-2009, 12:34 PM
These are very good tips. :) I always avoid busy times and when I have an appointment, I normally don't have to wait more than a few minutes.

I also line Fister's box with familiar blankets and try keep calm when he's about to go to the vet. :eek: :rolleyes: This is very important, he will sense the vibes if I'm nervous. I have it completely in control now, though. :D

Years ago, my vet sprayed something inside his box, that was probably what you mentioned. :)

The down side of taking him to the vet is that you have to carry him the last 50 yards, as cars can't drive in there.

orangemm
01-17-2009, 05:31 PM
I don't have the kennel type carrier, so getting my boys into the one we have is the worst part.

Ours has been sitting in the living room for 2 weeks now; Monday I will have to "load 'em up' (one at a time) and make the journey!:rolleyes::eek:

Don Juan's mom
01-17-2009, 07:56 PM
I found that placing the carriers on the back seat of the car (with seat belts around them), rather than on the floor, cuts down on the noise level. :rolleyes: It's quieter and involves less vibration.

If there's a barking dog in the waiting room on Vaccination Clinic Day, I wait outside.

Liz

catmandu
01-18-2009, 03:31 PM
I DREAD THE THOUGHT OF TAKING POUNCIERGE THE PRETTY, HANDSOME JOHN HANCOCK OR MIQUELITO THE LITTLE ORANGE LION OR SCRAPPY 2 THE SENSATIONAL TO THE VETS AS THERES NO WAY I CAN GET THEM INTO A CARRIER.:eek::eek:
THEY ARE PAST DUE ON THIER SHORS AS WE CANNOT CONTROL THEM, TO SET STILL EVEN IF WE COULD CATCH THEM.:eek::eek:
I HOPE THEY MELLOW AS YEARS GO BY.:confused::confused:

lizbud
01-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Good ideas. My Vet gave me a pill to calm the cat. Give 1/2 the pill in
yummy wet cat food, wait 30 mins & give the 2nd half if needed. It worked
for one of my cats who was born feral. Mikey) The whole vet visit was great.

orangemm
01-19-2009, 05:58 AM
Wish me luck, Gary, as I have one "freaky" boy and will no doubt be struggling with him this morning!

The worst time I ever had was when I had to take 4 cats to the vet AT ONCE and felt like I was stuffing a turkey when I was trying to get them into carriers.:eek::eek::eek: I only had 2 carriers, so when I got one in and was ready to put the second one in, the first one would escape. It was a vicious circle for sure.

Yes, I finally managed to capture and stow everyone!:D

catmandu
01-19-2009, 09:48 AM
GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND YOUR FEISTY FRIEND:love:, AND WE PRAY THAT YOU CAN GET HIM IN THE CARRIER WITH TOO MUCH SCAR TISSUE OR LOSS OF BLOOD!!:eek:
WE HAD A HOLD ON SCARPPY 2, 3 OF US AND SHE WENT BALLISTIC , AND WE HAD TO LET HER GO, SHE WOULD HAVE TORN US APART.:eek::eek:

orangemm
01-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Gary, my journey was successful! And, I didn't have any problem getting the boys into the carrier. Of course I was serenaded for the whole trip down & back, but that's music to my ears!:D

Both boys fine, shots updated and everyone is happy!:)