PDA

View Full Version : I guess Im not suprised, George W Bush's farewell address.

blue
01-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Im not suprised there was no comment here on PT about the current, soon to be former, POTUS Farewell address.

I saw a humble, tired, and optomistic man, greatfull for the time he served us as POTUS and honored to have served as Comander in Chief of our Armed Services. I think he truely did what he thought was best and that he could have done a better job at it. He was wrong on alot of things but the alternative in my eyes could have been much worse.

All said and done Im happy it is the end of a Bush in the White House, hopefully, and not so happy at the new Chief.

RICHARD
01-16-2009, 09:37 PM
I saw a humble, tired, and optomistic man, greatfull for the time he served us as POTUS and honored to have served as Comander in Chief of our Armed Services. I think he truely did what he thought was best and that he could have done a better job at it. He was wrong on alot of things but the alternative in my eyes could have been much worse.

I missed it.

I think that the people who blamed him for everything are the ones that are tired of their own nastiness.;)

My prediction for our new Rockst....President?

All the best wishesand I hope he doesn't catch a heel when he does his signature 'run/hop up the stairs'.

Waiting for that one.

Grace
01-16-2009, 10:04 PM
He had the misfortune to make that address on a night that was filled with the sounds and sights of the Miracle on the Hudson.

I think most people were caught up with that, rather than poor George.

blue
01-16-2009, 10:06 PM
He had the misfortune to make that address on a night that was filled with the sounds and sights of the Miracle on the Hudson.

Very good point. I watched the speech tonight on Youtube.

Edwina's Secretary
01-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Too funny! :D:D:D

Karen
01-16-2009, 10:22 PM
I heard a little of his farewell speech on the radio, but not enough to be able to comment on, to be fair. It feels like much of the world is holding its breath waiting for Tuesday, and I don't know that any one human being could live up to the expectations people have, but I am - as I am my mother's* daughter - cautiously optimistic.

I don't remember any previous Presidents' farewell address either, though.

*Ma was the most optimistic person you could ever hope to meet. The "cautious" part of that sentence is from Dad's side of the gene pool.

blue
01-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Too funny! :D:D:D

It is.

beeniesmom
01-17-2009, 02:41 AM
Im not suprised there was no comment here on PT about the current, soon to be former, POTUS Farewell address.

All said and done Im happy it is the end of a Bush in the White House, hopefully, and not so happy at the new Chief.

I agree, the speech was probably overlooked because of the NY plane coverage. You gotta admit, that was one heck of a story!

I watched the speech. I thought I'd give the man my attention for one last time. I thought his words were very nice and heartfelt but predictable.

Don't be so quick to say you don't like new guy. Give him a chance. You might be pleasantly surprised. On the other hand you might not.

We just don't know. Only time will tell.

Catty1
01-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Others waiting in suspense - the strip at the bottom here.

Cinder & Smoke
01-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Others waiting in suspense - the strip at the bottom here.

:confused:

Cartoon panels do NOT reproduce well when they start out as a "thumbnail".

-------------------------------------------------------------

Have other soon-to-be "Past Presidents" delivered farewell speaches?

There were some parts where he seemed to be offering 'excuses' for
what happened on his watch.

------------------------------------

Seems a bit too early to be "unhappy with the New Guy" ...
He's not even oficially the New Guy, yet!

;)

RICHARD
01-17-2009, 01:35 PM
We Don't Get Fooled Again- The Who.

We'll be fighting in the streets
With our children at our feet
And the morals that they worship will be gone
And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgment of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again

The change, it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fold, that's all
And the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they were all flown in the last war

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution

I'll move myself and my family aside
If we happen to be left half alive
I'll get all my papers and smile at the sky
Though I know that the hypnotized never lie
Do ya?

Yeah!

There's nothing in the streets
Looks any different to me
And the slogans are replaced, by-the-bye
And the parting on the left
Is now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution....

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

Marigold2
01-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Does anyone know how many if any presidents have had to apologize for their actions like Bush did? Good riddence.

caseysmom
01-17-2009, 02:03 PM
No I am sure Bush is the first who isn't perfect:rolleyes:

Karen
01-17-2009, 03:18 PM
I do not remember any other Televised "farewell speeches" in my lifetime. I think Nixon made a speech when he left, but under very VERY different circumstances. And I was only ten years old, and we didn't get many TV channels anyway.

Perhaps it is that President Bush still feels the need to explain himself and to try to control how his Presidency is pictured for posterity, while others realize that that is not something they can control?

I don't know.

Certainly no President has been perfect.

Grace
01-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Have other soon-to-be "Past Presidents" delivered farewell speaches?

Yes. Eisenhower warned against a military-industrial complex in his; Washington's, in a farewell letter, was a warning to the nation to avoid permanent foreign alliances.

Interestingly, Bush 41 did not give one.

RICHARD
01-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Karen,

Why does the "top of the stairs, flashing the peace sign" pic always pop up?;)

I kinda admire him for doing it anyway. I mean how many of our ex president's have come out and taken a punch before they split from office.

Who really wants to work 24/7/365/8?

that would wear my nasty arse out right quick, and the detaractors that say he had 'others' doing the work for him forget that it's his word that is the last one noted.

What's done is done and let's get behind the new guy and see which side of the mouth he spoke out of and how many eff ups he can do in the required 4 years.

I see change.

It's piled on the end table in the front room.

lizbud
01-17-2009, 04:39 PM
I decided not to watch GWB spin another yarn about how great the
last eight years have been. I watched an episode of "House" instead.:)

Cinder & Smoke
01-17-2009, 05:00 PM
I decided not to watch GWB spin another yarn about
how great the last eight years have been.

I watched an episode of "House" instead. :)

:cool:

Another 'satisfied customer', huh?

;)

Edwina's Secretary
01-17-2009, 05:40 PM
I did listen to it. Now I have VERY low expectations of the man. But he should have listened to the advice -- better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it.

Regrets? The banner on the ship that read "Mission Accomplished." (Interesting in many ways -- at one point his administration tried to claim it was the work of the sailors...) Not the lie, not the hubris...he regrets the banner. I wonder if the reason he regrets it is giving Keith Olbermann a closing line for his show every night!

Major disappointments? Not finding any WMD. Jon Stewart put it well -- ordering a pizza delivered and the wrong one shows up -- that's a disappointment -- losing your job in a bad economy -- that's a major disappointment -- starting a war in which over 4,000 Americans and countless Iraqis have died and over 30,000 US soldiers maimed -- based on "bad intel" -- that seems like more than a "major disappointment."

Katrina - he has thought about what he could have done differently and all he can come up with is He could have landed Air Force one in New Orleans or Baton Rouge." That would have detracted from the relief efforts. Very true but why doesn't he get it was about more than just another hug or photo op???

How out of touch can you be????...but then again this is the man who was SHOCKED when a reporter asked him about gas getting to $4.00 a gallon. A classic moment that defined his presidency in many way.

Washington gave a well-known farewell speech and many have done so since. Nixon gave a farewell speech to his staff the night before (but then he did leave rather suddenly:rolleyes::rolleyes:) and the speech is well known for his rambling about the special woman behind him...blah, blah...everyone thought he would finally give poor Pat her due...but he talked about his mother instead.

And he flashed the "V for victory" - not peace signs as he boarded the helicopter

Lady's Human
01-17-2009, 06:49 PM
What are you going to carp about on the 21st?
Major reason why the 21st will be a great day.....less fish in the doghouse......Or will there be?

Edwina's Secretary
01-17-2009, 07:11 PM

Oh I am sure I can think of something...let's see...handguns are always good!:D:D:D

moosmom
01-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Gee, I missed it. I was busy washing my cat. :p

Grace
01-17-2009, 07:40 PM

Carp - I thought that was a freshwater fish?

Is that what you're going to do on the 21st?

http://bestsmileys.com/fishing/4.gif

cassiesmom
01-19-2009, 02:03 PM
I only heard a bit of it on the news. I'm just waiting to see what happens with Obama.

JenBKR
01-19-2009, 02:06 PM
I decided not to watch GWB spin another yarn about how great the
last eight years have been. I watched an episode of "House" instead.:)

Oh isn't that the best show? Even Ty likes it - when he hears the theme song he whips around to stare at the tv :D

moosmom
01-19-2009, 02:59 PM
I had absolutely no interest whatsoever in hearing his voice so I put on CD's. I don't care what he has to say. It's all psychobabble to me and I can't even look at that idiotic face one more second. I have just 2 words for GW...

BUH-BYE

lvpets2002
01-19-2009, 03:32 PM
:o Oh of course The Bush's are causing a ruckus in the Dallas Metro Plex Area where they bought a house.. Everyone now has decided the The Bushs are going to cause to much public views on them.. Bla HumBug.. If everyone will just keep a low profile all with calm into the woodwork..

blue
01-19-2009, 10:30 PM
Absolutly not suprised at all...

blue
01-20-2009, 12:41 AM
Oh I am sure I can think of something...let's see...handguns are always good!:D:D:D

Its sad you find that something to laugh at.

http://www.youtube.com/v/mKdBxpKqUvs&hl=en&fs=1

luv my cats
01-21-2009, 10:02 AM
I watched George W's. farewell speech. He looked rested and ready to give up command. So many Americans did not like the way he handled different issues. He kept us safe after Sept. 11th.

IMO all the crap that Bill Clinton stood by and allowed to happen caused that horrible day.

The Obamas better realize this is not one continous party for the next 4 years:(

I will just pray every day.

That is a good question that Karen and others asked. Has every president given a farewell speech? I will do some research:)

CultureJunky
01-23-2009, 02:49 PM
I personally believe that George Bush made the world a much more dangerous place. From a British point of view, he's a complete laughing stock and I think has made America very unpopular with the rest of the world. He basically ruined your reputation, like Margaret Thatcher did with the United Kingdom.
To me from the outside looking in, he caused so much trouble for the United States, I think it's best he's gone, and hopefully Obama will be a breath of fresh air for the US and the rest of the world.
At least he can speak a coherent sentence and talk the talk with cogent speeches, unlike dubya who could barely string two words together and was as thick as a plank!

caseysmom
01-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Most of the United States concurs with you!

lizbud
01-23-2009, 04:33 PM

Amen to that.:)

I agree also with the quote. Ain't it the truth.:)

" At least he can speak a coherent sentence and talk the talk with cogent speeches, unlike dubya who could barely string two words together and was as thick as a plank! "

CountryWolf07
01-23-2009, 04:53 PM

Agreed.

RICHARD
01-23-2009, 11:26 PM

All 57 states.

------------

After spending years in the med field, DOC confuses me.:confused:

LOL,

There was a handsome doc who had polio was caught 'meeting' a nurse in one of the conference rooms at the facility I worked at. He wasn't a doc there a few weeks later.