PDA

View Full Version : My Pidgie Pie *Update* 1/22/09; post #12

Medusa
01-15-2009, 03:30 PM
She's doing great! Now that I have that out of the way...I simply do not know what to do about grooming this cat. Since I had her done in a lion cut this summer, I've been diligent about brushing her daily w/a soft bristle brush just to get her used to it but she loathes and detests being brushed and always has since the day I rescued her at age 2 1/2.

Now that her fur has grown out completely, I have to brush her and use the Furminator or the uneven comb on her to keep clumps from forming. I'm as gentle as possible but when I get to her hindquarters, look out! She bites and I mean hard! And she bats the Furminator or comb out of my hand. Given that she's nearly 19 now and has congestive heart failure, I don't want to put her under to have her shaved again or even groomed but if these clumps form too close to the skin, it becomes painful for her. I'm at my wit's end w/this Puddy-in-training. I'm going to start calling her the Pidgalator like I did w/Puddy calling her the Pudilator. LOL Any suggestions? :confused:

lvpets2002
01-15-2009, 03:38 PM
:) Here is a little secret that I have with my ones that dont like brushing.. Ok get you one of those sticky rollers with a handle.. Try that on her.. Just role it down her sides with the flow of the hair.. You will be surprised how much hair the roller will get.. Then in no time she will accept the comb or brush.. Ok lets say it has worked with my babies.. They love the sticky roller & brushes.. Good Luck..

pomtzu
01-15-2009, 03:48 PM
:eek: I'm at a loss on that one! Myndi is the same way - she hates being brushed - especially those hind quarters - and she will get nippy with me. I just tell her to suck it up, but I understand that you can't do that with Pidge!

Karen
01-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Pidgie Pidgie puddin' Pie
Please don't make your momma cry
She's just tryin' to make ouchies go bye-bye
Pidgie Pidgie puddin' Pie!

Have you tried doing "burrito kitty" to tend to her nether regions? Wrap the whole kitty in a towel, and then just expose the back end so you can brush her, and she cannot bite you from within the towel. You might try just wrapping in a towel for a snuggle a few times just to get her used to it ...

Moesha
01-15-2009, 03:56 PM
I don't know if this exists or not, but is there some kind of lubricant that you could manage to rub into some of the mats to make them less tight? Something like a detangler for human hair perhaps.

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-15-2009, 04:12 PM
:) Here is a little secret that I have with my ones that dont like brushing.. Ok get you one of those sticky rollers with a handle.. Try that on her.. Just role it down her sides with the flow of the hair.. You will be surprised how much hair the roller will get.. Then in no time she will accept the comb or brush.. Ok lets say it has worked with my babies.. They love the sticky roller & brushes.. Good Luck..

This works!!

cassiesmom
01-15-2009, 04:12 PM
Miss Pidgie Pie, please let your Meowmie take care of your coat! I am so glad you are doing much better! *kiss*

jenluckenbach
01-15-2009, 04:18 PM
MUZZLE! Made for cats. A groomers best friend.

Get this one, if you decide to buy,

http://www.jbpet.com/Nylon-Cat-Muzzle,1492.html

it is NOT mean, it is for her (and your) own benefit.

Medusa
01-15-2009, 05:25 PM
MUZZLE! Made for cats. A groomers best friend.

Get this one, if you decide to buy,

http://www.jbpet.com/Nylon-Cat-Muzzle,1492.html

it is NOT mean, it is for her (and your) own benefit.

Actually, I do have a muzzle from my Puddy days. I've been afraid to put it on her because I don't want to stress her but I'm probably going to have to because if those mats get bad again, she'll have to be shaved and I just can't do that to her again. I'm going to try Karen's burrito technique first and we'll see what happens. I'll let you know, if I still have digits in order to be able to type, that is. LOL

mruffruff
01-19-2009, 10:25 AM
I had the same problem with Mooch (big black boy). When I couldn't convince him to let me work knots out with my fingers or a comb, I put---get this!---tuna juice on the mats with an eye dropper.

His buddy licked him clean and the mats disappeared:D

momcat
01-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Groucho hates to be brushed, he always has. I usually brush him while he's in snuggle mode combining scritchies and brush strokes. While brushing, I talk to him very softly telling him what a good boy he is, how good the brushing feels, and how his lovely Inka will think he's even more handsome. I find it often helps to let him sniff at the brush first, could it be that picking up his own scent helps him accept being brushed?

Medusa
01-22-2009, 05:04 PM
She's really getting cranky but who can blame her? Boo won't leave her alone! She's nearly 19 now and he's 18 but yet he mounts her every day, sometimes 3 or 4 times a day and during the night she actually screams because he bites her so hard. I've been letting him sleep w/us because they've always been sweethearts but why is he doing that? He was neutered before he was a year old. :confused:

smokey the elder
01-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Maybe he answered an ad for a little blue pill?:p Stop pestering Pidgie!