PDA

View Full Version : Plane down in hudson river

caseysmom
01-15-2009, 03:27 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,480078,00.html

foxnews seems to have the best coverage

3Catcondo
01-15-2009, 03:40 PM
It is a blessing that pilot was able to go down in the water and that the plane stayed intact. How incredible the footage of the passengers standing on the wings in the water. I hope everyone was able to get out safe and injuries are a minimum.

Karen
01-15-2009, 03:43 PM
CNN is also doing extensive coverage ... Paul is watching that as I type, they are interviewing a man who watched it from his office window!

lvpets2002
01-15-2009, 03:47 PM
:eek: OMG I am also reading about it on CNN.. That is horrible.. But yes the water even being cold was prob better than land.. It kept the plane in tacked.. I sure hope all is safe & ok.. I will be praying for everyone..

beeniesmom
01-15-2009, 03:49 PM
I am watching it too on CNN. Looks like everyone got off the plane ok.
What a scary situation. Very lucky to have landed on water.

Freedom
01-15-2009, 03:55 PM
We were watching on Headline News, just now switched to CNN. Seems all are OK.

I am surprised at how "small" the plane looks, compared to the ships around it.

I agree, the photos of all the folks standing on the wings are just amazing!

caseysmom
01-15-2009, 03:57 PM
where are you guys seeing the people on the wings?

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-15-2009, 04:04 PM
:eek: What a scary experience for these poor people on that plane...! I am so glad they were all saved!! That landing sure is a feather on that pilot's hat!!

Karen
01-15-2009, 04:11 PM
where are you guys seeing the people on the wings?

CNN shows that image every few minutes as part of their coverage.

caseysmom
01-15-2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks Karen, I see it now, CNN has some good coverage now, when it first happened FOX had a bit more.

Those people are extremely lucky, how scary.

Randi
01-15-2009, 04:28 PM
I've been watching it on BBC and CCN the last half an hour - it's a miracle everyone got out safely. What a skilled pilot! :)

Freedom
01-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Here is a link with 10 photos, some of the people lining the wings:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Plane_Crash_in_the_Hudson.html

Apparently more photos on flickr.

RICHARD
01-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Glad that no one was hurt.

Here's my question, WTF is up with dragging the people off the boats onto the piers with those preservers still on?

It reminds me of those No Scratch Collars for animals or one of those blow up pool rings with the animal head in the front......THAT would be the first thing I would jettison once I was on terra firma.:eek:

I saw the black guy that was dancing off the boat, that was funny and cool.

Was Micheal Flatley around.....Riverdance?

Ba dump!

Catty1
01-15-2009, 07:44 PM
I admire the staff. The pilot made an amazing landing.

Flight attendants have 60 seconds, by law, to clear the passengers off the aircraft when there is an accident.

There is a pic of on attendant being carried on a stretcher, sitting up, an IV in her arm.

Ya done good, girl! You all did.

Kinda smiled at the sight of a tugboat or two tugging a jetliner. :)

Medusa
01-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Truly a miracle that no one was killed or even seriously injured.

blue
01-15-2009, 08:54 PM
From the looks of the pictures I wouldnt call that a crash but a controlled water landing. Must be one heck of a pilot.

Daisy and Delilah
01-15-2009, 08:58 PM
From the looks of the pictures I wouldnt call that a crash but a controlled water landing. Must be one heck of a pilot.

That's exactly what some newscasters are calling it. The pilot was very well trained and skilled. He did an awesome job!!

blue
01-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Is there any video of the landing?

Alysser
01-15-2009, 09:09 PM
I'd much rather land in water then land! :eek: My Dad was in Brooklyn today for work not Manhattan so he didn't witness it. If I witnessed that I think the first thing that would pop into my head would be 9/11! :eek:

Both coastguard and airplane workers handled the job fabulously!

Karen
01-15-2009, 09:36 PM
Is there any video of the landing?

Yes, check any of the major news sites.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/01/15/hudson.plane.videos/index.html has several, I don't know which would have the actual landing. Lots of people watched it from their "river view" offices!

blue
01-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Dang videos aint loading for me on Opera or safari.

ETA, thanks for the link.

Grace
01-15-2009, 10:48 PM

From the NY Times -

Airliners are not meant to glide, although occasionally they have to. The pilot of this one, Capt. Chesley B. Sullenberger III, is certified as a glider pilot, according to Federal Aviation Administration records.

Captain Sullenberger, known as Sully, flew the F-4 for the United States Air Force for seven years in the 1970s after graduating from the United States Air Force Academy. He joined USAir, as it was called at the time, in 1980 and became a “check airman,” training and evaluating new pilots or those changing to new aircraft or moving up to captain. He also was an accident investigator for the union, the Air Line Pilots Association.

And from CNN -

His resume -- posted on the Web site for his safety consulting firm, Safety Reliability Methods, Inc. -- lists piloting procedures, technical safety strategies, emergency management and operations improvement, as areas of industry expertise.

He served as an instructor and Air Line Pilots Association safety chairman, accident investigator and national technical committee member, according to a biography on the site. He participated in several USAF and National Transportation Safety Board accident investigations, and worked with NASA scientists on a paper on error and aviation, his site says.

Sort of reminds me of Captain Al Haynes, and the crash in Sioux City, Iowa, back in 1989. There were fatalities with that crash, but the pilot was a hero, nevertheless.

blue
01-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Ild just like to see if he did a stall touchdown with no forward momentum the way some bush pilots have to land, or a splash while under forward momentum.

K9karen
01-15-2009, 11:46 PM
The pilot and crew are true heroes. He even walked through the plane twice to make sure everybody was out. Is there an Oscar for pilots?

My girlfriend is a flight attendant and it's really hard work. They have to put themselves last. Recently, a passenger fell on her during turbulence (don't know why the pax was out of her seat) and broke her foot.

smokey the elder
01-16-2009, 01:28 PM
I think there's a trip to the White House and other kudos in the pilot's future. If this whole thing were pitched as a screenplay, no one would believe it! The shot of the one guy pumping his fists was priceless.

RICHARD
01-16-2009, 02:02 PM
The shot of the one guy pumping his fists was priceless.

Was it the black guy in the blue shirt?

Check out the video if you can. He was jumping up and down and smiling.

Great stuff and glad to see that some of the people decided to help out as opposed to talking pictures with their cell phones!:rolleyes:

Many heroes.

I wonder what Chesley's middle name stands for and will it fit on a medal?:)

lvpets2002
01-16-2009, 02:48 PM
:) Well I am Proud to state that our Hero Pilot was from Denison Texas.. :D Oh by the way I just read that they are pulling the plane out now & said the Whole Engine is Gone.. They have divers try to sonar locate in the river bottom..:confused: This is not good.. I am wondering how many birds ending up in the engine..

Taz_Zoee
01-16-2009, 08:02 PM
:) Well I am Proud to state that our Hero Pilot was from Denison Texas.. :D Oh by the way I just read that they are pulling the plane out now & said the Whole Engine is Gone.. They have divers try to sonar locate in the river bottom..:confused: This is not good.. I am wondering how many birds ending up in the engine..

Oh, he's from your state (awesome!) and is currently living in Danville, CA which is just down the highway from me. Poor family is surrounded by media. They can't even leave the house. I know if I ever saw him and recognized him I'd want to shake his hand or give him a hug. :D

Oh, and I heard the flock of geese they hit was large enough to show up on radar. (Not sure how big that'd have to be, but it sounds BIG!)

Karen
01-17-2009, 12:08 PM
There's now video from a surveillance camera that shows the splashdown:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/01/17/usair.splash.video/index.html

Hope this works for you, blue!

Cinder & Smoke
01-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Both coastguard and airplane workers handled the job fabulously!

US Coast Guard, NYC Police Boats and FDNY Fire Boats all played vital roles
in the overall rescue effort ...

But the real "First Responders" in this case were the civilian operated
"Water Taxis & Ferry Boats" who were in some cases already moving on the river
at the moment the plane ditched. They all rushed over to the plane and
began recovering passengers from the plane - utilizing the Boat Passengers as
volunteer rescuers to assist the Boat Crews. An OUTSTANDING response
by "Civilians" that most certainly had a positive effect
on the very successful rescue mission.

GOOD JOB - EVERYbody!!

:D

blue
01-17-2009, 07:21 PM
There's now video from a surveillance camera that shows the splashdown:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/01/17/usair.splash.video/index.html

Hope this works for you, blue!

Thanks for the link, it worked.

Can I say that was a amazing landing.

JenBKR
01-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Such a miracle, and a true American hero! :)

joycenalex
02-05-2009, 09:53 AM
CNN just played the FAA tapes of the water landing. listening to the air traffic controller and the pilot gave me chills. that pilot has ice water in his veins, one very calm cool dude. (this is an aside...on my last flight into columbus on late night 12/18 there was an ice storm/sleet over the city, we were already 6 hours late getting back due to the storm covering big chunks of the US. the SW pilot had to abort the first landing, pull up and come round again due to ice on the runway maybe....i was clenching eileens hand by the way...and he swung the plane round once more to try to land us in columbus, otherwise we're off to st louis for the night. he put us down nicely on the second try:). as i was getting off the plane, shuffling by the pilot who was standing in the cockpit doorway. i burst out with..."dude you rock!" huge laugh from him and the flight attendants. gotta wonder what the conversation between my plane and the tower was.....and i'm glad i don't know

charleydog
02-06-2009, 08:26 AM
the pilot was on GMA this morning... they played the air control tapes with him communicating after take-off, and he was seemingly calm in the face of an emergency crash landing. it's wonderful that no one was seriously injured in the crash.

RipplingWaves55
02-06-2009, 11:02 AM
How scary. I can think of 20 reasons right off the top of my head in not to fly in my family. My mom, me, everyone doesn't do planes here.

k9krazee
02-06-2009, 01:20 PM
he was seemingly calm in the face of an emergency crash landing.

I saw that last night. I was AMAZED at how calm and collected he was. I laughed sooo hard at the end.

"Okay, which runway would you like?"
"We're going to be in the Hudson"
"Uh, I'm sorry, can you say it again?"
"I think he said he's going in the Hudson."

Karen
02-06-2009, 01:34 PM
I saw that last night. I was AMAZED at how calm and collected he was. I laughed sooo hard at the end.

"Okay, which runway would you like?"
"We're going to be in the Hudson"
"Uh, I'm sorry, can you say it again?"
"I think he said he's going in the Hudson."

Paul said yesterday, "that must have been so hard to figure out out of context! I imagine one of the controllers was trying to figure out which nearby airport had a runway labeled Hudson, or next to the Hudson, before realizing - 'Oh! He means the Hudson RIVER!"

k9krazee
02-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Paul said yesterday, "that must have been so hard to figure out out of context! I imagine one of the controllers was trying to figure out which nearby airport had a runway labeled Hudson, or next to the Hudson, before realizing - 'Oh! He means the Hudson RIVER!"

Oh, I didn't think of it like that, but it's very true!

Randi
02-06-2009, 01:49 PM
The pilot did an amazing job there, and I can hardly believe how calm he remained. I hope he gets a medal!

Here's is a two-minute section of the conversations between the cockpit and control tower. The crew says they're likely going to end up "in the Hudson":

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2009/02/faa-releases-au.html?csp=34

http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/