PDA

View Full Version : Will You Be Watching

lizbud
01-15-2009, 12:07 PM
The Presidential Inauguration???? It's only 4 days & counting.... I can
hardly wait.:D

momoffuzzyfaces
01-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Yes, I'll be watching. This is history in the making!!! :)

Edwina's Secretary
01-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Does recording it count? I have to work....

tatsxxx11
01-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Worked hard for the Obama campaign for almost two years now and I can't express how thrilled I am...I can't wait; will be watching partly at home, and partly at one of the many local Inauguration parties in the area, with fellow campaign workers, supporters and just folks.

We have tickets to the parade and swearing-in, in D.C., but I think I'll have a better view (and be warmer!) here at home...I'll save them as a personal keepsake, an historic one!

In case anyone's interested, the president-elect's offical site...all pending legislation will be posted in advance for the public's comments and perusal, transition team meetings are recorded and posted so you can listen to what's going on, being discussed, first hand; a place to submit questions, voice your concerns directly to the transition team regarding issues, concerns; where you can watch the Saturday address, etc.

www.change.gov (http://www.change.gov)

smokey the elder
01-15-2009, 02:10 PM
TiVO is our friend. :) I have to work, so will record it (and sneak onto the Internet, if everyone else doesn't crash it!)

Freedom
01-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Oh yes, planning to watch all of it, here.

I can't seem to find what time it STARTS, darn it. I think it is a bet later so it is a reasonable time for the west coast, but I can't find the time.

lvpets2002
01-15-2009, 03:29 PM
:) Yes I plan on watching it.. In fact I think I will tape it.. It is for sure History in the making..

RedHedd
01-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Heck yeah! I'm taking the day off and participating in an event at San Francisco's Civic Center. Looks like I may even be volunteering to help out. It's going to be a very special day.

The paralegal who sits next to me at work is actually GOING to the inauguration AND Hawaii's inaugural ball which Obama will be attending. I'm kinda jealous, but am glad I won't be in that 12 degree weather with 4,000,000 other humans.

San Francisco's event will probably be big, but not quite THAT big

RedHedd
01-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Oh yes, planning to watch all of it, here.

I can't seem to find what time it STARTS, darn it. I think it is a bet later so it is a reasonable time for the west coast, but I can't find the time.

Actual swearing in is 12:00 noon EST, but there are all kinds of events leading up to it. The event I'm going to is opening their doors at 7:00 a.m.

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-15-2009, 04:18 PM
I sure will!! I hope that our broadcast system will show it! Or maybe on CNN??
The swearing will be at 12 am??:eek: OMG that is so early :eek: here (5am)

Karen
01-15-2009, 04:28 PM
I sure will!! I hope that our broadcast system will show it! Or maybe on CNN??
The swearing will be at 12 am??:eek: OMG that is so early :eek: here (5am)

No, Lut - 12 noon here, so it will be 6 p.m. for you.

cassiesmom
01-15-2009, 04:53 PM
not watching - I have a meeting at church - but recording for watching later on.

moosmom
01-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Absolutely!!! Didn't you know Obama is my new eye candy??? LOL I also want to see his family. They have such a nice family. Close knit. Now THAT'S a role model.

K9karen
01-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Absolutely!!! Didn't you know Obama is my new eye candy??? LOL I also want to see his family. They have such a nice family. Close knit. Now THAT'S a role model.

Yeah! And his MIL, who he loves, is moving in! What a guy!

I'm going to watch it and tape it. It'll be a monumental event.

Sandra! You're NOT going? Bundle up in layers, woman! A little blustery winds never hurt anyone! :p If I went, my tears of joy would be frozen to my cheeks! At least at home, I'll have a few dozen boxes of tissues!

He has a lot of work to do. I pray he has continued courage and enthusiasm and health.

blue
01-16-2009, 12:38 AM
If I am home in time Ill watch it or Ill get the TV tuner set up in the computer over the weekend to record it.

I dont see why its a bigger deal then Shrub or Clintons inaguration speaches but Ill listen live if I cant watch it, Ill probably record it either way.

davidpizzica
01-16-2009, 04:37 AM
I'll be both watching the inauguration and putting it on DVD for posterity. I may disagree with him, but he's our President and should be given our support.

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-16-2009, 04:55 AM
No, Lut - 12 noon here, so it will be 6 p.m. for you.

Perfect!! Thanks for telling me :):love:

Lady's Human
01-16-2009, 07:23 AM
I won't be watching, and it's not out of any animosity for the incoming President. I have never watched any inauguration. Frankly, they are hugely expensive events which should be pared down quite a bit, without all the needless ceremony.

K9soul
01-16-2009, 08:04 AM
I'll be at my desk with work but I'm sure there will be a live feed online that I plan to play on my other computer so I can see at least some of it :). And thanks for the link Sandra! I bet it will be especially fun to watch it at the party with the other campaigners! :D

Bengalz
01-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Our team is hosting an Inauguration Breakfast for our Vancouver Regional office so, Yes, we will be watching Mr. Obama's Inauguration:D And, this is Canada!

Puckstop31
01-16-2009, 09:51 AM
I will DVR it... Just so I can see if he has his fingers croseed when he takes the oath. To do what he wants to do AND take the oath he will recite to heart....

I wonder how many of you will either be a) still blaming shrub or b) blaming some other "Republican" in 2 years when things are worse than they are now?

Grace
01-16-2009, 10:17 AM
I read something about this in the paper about a week ago -

Judge won't order Obama not to use 'God' in oath

By JESSE J. HOLLAND

WASHINGTON (AP) — A federal judge on Thursday refused to order the words "so help me God" taken out of President-elect Barack Obama's oath of office next week or to prevent ministers from praying at the inauguration celebration.

U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton turned down a request from a group of atheists and agnostics to force Chief Justice John Roberts not to add those words to the 35-word inaugural oath outlined in the Constitution.

The group, led by California atheist Michael Newdow, also wanted to prohibit Obama's chosen inaugural ministers, the Revs. Joseph Lowery and Rick Warren, from offering prayers at Tuesday's inauguration.

Newdow, who lost a Supreme Court battle to get the words "under God" taken out of the Pledge of Allegiance, has failed in similar challenges to the use of religious words and prayers at President George W. Bush's inaugurations.

The presidential oath of office dictated by the Constitution is 35 words long and reads: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of president of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

The National Archives says George Washington added the words "so help me God" when he took the oath at his 1789 inaugural, and most presidents have used it since. However, some have argued that the first eyewitness account of a president using those words came at President Chester Arthur's inauguration in 1881.

Obama already has told Roberts he wants to use the words "so help me God" when he takes the oath.

Walton said he didn't have the authority to order Obama not to say the words, saying the president-elect had a right to free speech. The judge also questioned whether he had the authority to give the chief justice an order not to say "so help me God" after the oath.

Newdow argued that the inclusion of those words was an unconstitutional intrusion of religion into government. Roberts is acting in his capacity as a constitutional officer in giving the oath, he argued, so it didn't matter that Obama has asked him to alter it to include "so help me God."

"He has no right to do what the president-elect has asked him to do when it violates the Constitution," Newdow said.

Walton also said he didn't think that prayer at the ceremony "is somehow going to give the impression that the government is endorsing religion."

Walton also complained about the lateness of the filing, saying that there was not enough time to get the case litigated and appealed before next week's inauguration. He did not throw the case out, however, instead only refusing to stop the inauguration.

K9soul
01-16-2009, 10:19 AM
I will DVR it... Just so I can see if he has his fingers croseed when he takes the oath. To do what he wants to do AND take the oath he will recite to heart....

I wonder how many of you will either be a) still blaming shrub or b) blaming some other "Republican" in 2 years when things are worse than they are now?

... And with this, the back and forth sniping will begin :(

Edwina's Secretary
01-16-2009, 10:28 AM

Not from me! I find sore losers amusing! Let's all agree to just let them stew in their own juices and enjoy!

moosmom
01-16-2009, 10:39 AM

Puckstop31,

Such a cynic. Never positive. Always looking for someone ELSE to blame for everything. You must be a real drag to be around.

I blame EVERYONE for messing our economy up. I'm not naming names, nor am I pointing fingers, although I'm sure we ALL KNOW who's the mastermind...

Anyway, I think as "a people" we need to be more involved in things that affect our economy, the people who are in charge of our money (the budget), and where that money goes and who signed off on it.

It'll be interesting to see what kinds of changes will take place. In any event, I can look at Mr. "My You Are Gorgeous" President!!!

K9soul
01-16-2009, 10:42 AM
I do feel that one can be hopeful without expecting perfection, and one can be wary without expecting absolute failure. There are those who would look anywhere else than Obama to place blame for things, but there are also those who would conversely look to place any and all blame at his feet whether merited or not. That is really how it has always been.

I prefer to be hopeful without expecting perfection. It's just a more pleasant way to face the future. So I will be watching with a spirit of hope and optimism :)

pomtzu
01-16-2009, 11:18 AM
I prefer to be hopeful without expecting perfection. It's just a more pleasant way to face the future. So I will be watching with a spirit of hope and optimism :)

I couldn't agree more!

And I wonder who Puckstop the Pessimist will give credit to in two years if things are better? :rolleyes:

Puckstop31
01-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Not from me! I find sore losers amusing! Let's all agree to just let them stew in their own juices and enjoy!

LOL

Thanks for the Funnay. We are ALL going to be the losers, no matter who got elected because we all want government to solve the problems rather than relying on ourselves and what is left of our LIBERTY.

And you know what? I REALLY, REALLY hope I am wrong. I pray everyday that you all get to laugh at me and poke fun at my "negative" outlook.

No stewing here, just quiet preparation for the worst while I pray for the best.

Puckstop31
01-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Puckstop31,

Such a cynic. Never positive. Always looking for someone ELSE to blame for everything. You must be a real drag to be around.

Only here, because I have to deal with you people. ;) LOL

I blame EVERYONE for messing our economy up. I'm not naming names, nor am I pointing fingers, although I'm sure we ALL KNOW who's the mastermind...

Anyway, I think as "a people" we need to be more involved in things that affect our economy, the people who are in charge of our money (the budget), and where that money goes and who signed off on it.

As a people, we need to realize that the American dream is not 2 cars, a house and a flat screen TV. The American dream is MUCH bigger than that. LIBERTY. The ability for ANYone to dream big, risk big and succeeed big. In such an environment, you will experience pain. We are clearly in a crisis. We could argue WHY till the cows come home. Who cares WHY. The only thing I know is history proves spending more money on it will only make it worse, much worse. That is our next Presidents plan. And that is why I cannot get excited about his inauguration, no matter how groundbreaking his election was.

It'll be interesting to see what kinds of changes will take place. In any event, I can look at Mr. "My You Are Gorgeous" President!!!

Well, its good he is pretty I guess. LOL

Puckstop31
01-16-2009, 11:31 AM
I couldn't agree more!

And I wonder who Puckstop the Pessimist will give credit to in two years if things are better? :rolleyes:

If things get better? I'll give the man his credit. I will.

I am not a pessimist, I am a realist. What is happening now has happened to countless economies throughout history. The result is always the same when governments do not let things play out as they should.

But I will leave you alone to your mindless love fest. :)

:love:

Randi
01-16-2009, 11:44 AM
I'm going to watch it for sure!

Sandra, no wonder you're thrilled - and I'm glad that you worked as a volunteer. Obama seems like a great guy and I'm sure he'll do quite well as a President! He certainly have the right attitude and views! :D

lizbud
01-16-2009, 12:55 PM

It really doesn't have to be that way. I agree with ES. The naysayers
only pleasure is sowing the seeds of negativity & anger, so why give them
what they want? :D

Edwina's Secretary
01-16-2009, 01:13 PM
I do feel that one can be hopeful without expecting perfection, and one can be wary without expecting absolute failure. There are those who would look anywhere else than Obama to place blame for things, but there are also those who would conversely look to place any and all blame at his feet whether merited or not. That is really how it has always been.

Beautifully said!

shepgirl
01-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Our family and friends will be watching. To us it's history in the making - we are fortunate to watch the first black President in America. Obama's inauguration is something that is special to Americans as well as Canadians.
On a personal note he seems to be a breath of fresh air right now.

phesina
01-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Our team is hosting an Inauguration Breakfast for our Vancouver Regional office so, Yes, we will be watching Mr. Obama's Inauguration:D And, this is Canada!

There is a move to share Canada's musical culture with the new president:

CBC Radio 2 invites Canadians to help select the top “49 songs from north of the 49th parallel” that would best define our country to the incoming U.S. President Barack Obama.

Voting ends at 8:00 Eastern time tonight.. so go to http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/obamasplaylist/ and get your votes in!

pomtzu
01-16-2009, 02:04 PM
But I will leave you alone to your mindless love fest. :)

:love:

I have no love for Mr Obama, just as I had no love for Mr McCain, however I feel that he will do his best to turn things around.

And since you seem to have all the answers, perhaps you should run in the next election.

tatsxxx11
01-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Hi Randi! You know, over the past two years, I so often wondered what John would be thinking of all of this!:) What a voice of erudition, reason and wisdom he was here in the "Dog House" for so long...and those were some marathon debates we all had here, back in the day, hehe; his opinion and his voice, are greatly missed.:love: Love to Fister!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You're welcome, Jess!:D I think you should call in sick on Tuesday!:p Give the kids some love for me!

Pam
01-16-2009, 03:05 PM
I have to work all day but will put a tape in the VCR. I have watched all of the inaugurations (well not all.....I am not that old. LOL!)

Puckstop31
01-16-2009, 03:32 PM
I have no love for Mr Obama, just as I had no love for Mr McCain, however I feel that he will do his best to turn things around.

And since you seem to have all the answers, perhaps you should run in the next election.

Fair enough. :)

And I CLEARLY do not have all the answers. I just know what history has (should?) have taught us. But that is also a problem today. We don't teach history as it was, we teach it through a prism of Political Correctness. But I digress as that is a whole other can of worms.

Also, I am sorry if I come across a bit crass... But, consider that I like posting in the Dog House because I am heavily outnumbered, LOL, and like it that way. Preaching to the choir is no fun at all.

As for Obama turning things around. IMO, the best thing he can do is VERY little. So unless he changes who he has been, he is going to spend and spend and spend money we don't have. It just what liberals do. His "NEW, New Deal" will fail just like FDR's did. FDR's New Deal made things worse. It took WW2 to end the first Great Depression. Of course that is not how it is taught....

Edwina's Secretary
01-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Does anyone else thing a "mindless love fest" is better than a "mindless hate fest?":D:rolleyes::D

This is a true story...there was a letter to the editor in the right wing media here in OC...the guy was irrate because the mother-in-law is moving to the White House. He huffed...who is paying for her rent and food? What does Michelle have to do that she needs help with her kids? Then he throws in a "of course...they are liberals!"

I guess he doesn't know the First Family - Rep or Dem pays for their own food! <<head shake>> Mindless hate...

blue
01-16-2009, 07:04 PM
I guess he doesn't know the First Family - Rep or Dem pays for their own food! <<head shake>> Mindless hate...

I fail to see your logic.

sumbirdy
01-16-2009, 11:57 PM
I tend to agree with what Puckstop says.

And why call anyone who didn't vote for Obama LOSERS? I don't think it works that way. This wasn't a game (at least I hope not!) If everyone in America had the same views and opinions, then it wouldn't be America at all. And it would be very boring.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'll be watching. I'll probably catch glimpses if I happen to walk into a room where it is on, but other than that I'm not changing my routine for it.

I hope he makes a good President. Time will tell.

kitten645
01-17-2009, 02:13 AM
I will ignore the hate as much as I want to rebute. I'm going to celebrate new times and new ways and a historic time. If you want to wallow..have at it. I'm happy and positive. :love:
Cheers!
Claudia

Puckstop31
01-17-2009, 05:42 AM
I love it when you people throw the word "hate" around. How so, well, YOU of you. When you can't argue the actual facts, you scream "hater!" and talk about getting together and singing happy songs.

Kinda part of the reason we are the way we are... Being unable to call things what they are and to actually DEAL with reality.

Oh well... :) I am heading out for a hunt this morning and that makes me HAPPY! LOL

Cheers!

JenBKR
01-17-2009, 09:19 AM
Not unless Obama will be wearing Mickey ears and speaking in a high pitched voice with a red and black house magically appearing in the background.....(as in Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, since that seems to be the only thing I have seen in about 6 months!) :p

Seriously though, even if I had the chance to watch anything I wanted, I probably wouldn't watch it. Nothing against Obama, I'm just not all that political. I've never really watched an inauguration, or even a state of the union address.

pomtzu
01-17-2009, 10:37 AM
So this all boils down to a matter of personal preference, the way I look at it anyway.

Watch it or don't watch it - for some - politics is not their cup of tea. I'm not "in to" politics either, but I want to watch it because it's an unprecedented event and I think it will be interesting.

And like Obama or don't like him - again it's a matter of personal preference. But I believe that we all should have an open mind and at least give him a chance to prove himself, whether we voted for him or not.

lizbud
01-17-2009, 04:48 PM
The Obama-Biden train is making the historic train ride of Lincoln
on his way to Washington to take his oath. I had to do a lot of shopping
today,so I've missed a lot, but saw one speech at the Baltimore stop.:D

tatsxxx11
01-17-2009, 07:03 PM
It was an amazing day, Liz!!! His speech in Philly was, well, he has to top it on Tuesday!:D To see so many along the route of all ages and races and from all over the world, cheering and in tears; to see that beautiful smile, him waving to the crowd from the back of the train was the best; it's going to be an amazing 4 years (or more, hehe) an inspirational 4 years! CSpan.org (the Inaugural hub) has clips of all the day's festivities if you care to catch up!

P.S...The above poster might want to do a pitch check; that would be a deep baritone emitting from one of the premiere speakers of our time. You may claim a lack of interest but appearently you've watched and listened enough to pass comment on the size of his ears and the tone of his voice. Selection inattention?

JenBKR
01-17-2009, 07:42 PM
P.S...The above poster might want to do a pitch check; that would be a deep baritone emitting from one of the premiere speakers of our time. You may claim a lack of interest but appearently you've watched and listened enough to pass comment on the size of his ears and the tone of his voice. Selection inattention?

Woops, sorry, maybe I wasn't clear....I meant that the only thing I get to watch anymore, thanks to my 1 year old son, is Mickey Mouse Clubhouse....I in NO WAY meant to insult Obama. I sincerely apologize if I came across that way. I will edit my post.

kitten645
01-18-2009, 03:39 AM
To qoute Elvis:
What's wrong with peace, love and understanding?

I for one am moved with the optimism. Things can only get better!:love: (I think that's Howard Jones!)
Claudia:D

lizbud
01-18-2009, 06:03 PM
One day, 16 hrs. and 4 mins until a new President takes office.:)

I've been following MSNBC's coverage all day. I've never seen so much
genuine emotion displayed for an incoming President.:) I can't wait to
hear Obama's speech on Tues.

Puckstop31
01-19-2009, 11:27 AM
I'm gonna give him a chance. Glenn Beck of all people said some things this morning that made sense to me. Obama has said he is about change and unity. I'll give him a chance to try. But to do that, he has to be a President who is MUCH different than who his past has shown him to be. Obama needs to heed these words...

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness.

The italicised part is very important. If he attempts to remove our ability to do just that, (by taking our guns, by taking even more of our treasure, by hampering the ability of our children to pursue happiness) things may not go as he wants.

A few more key lines he needs to heed...

A prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

And for the support of this declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor.

Sacred HONOR. Does such a thing even exist in DC anymore? We shall see.

Good luck, Mr. President. Never forget it is you who serve us, not we, you.

Bonny
01-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Even though I am racist & wasn't ready for a black man in the whitehouse. Kind of corny in a way whitehouse/blackman a mix of words. Anyhow I hope O'bama will be safe, my biggest concern. As far as bringing people together I hope he can & the promises he made I hope he can fulfill them. Things are a mess right now thoughout the world maybe he will be the messiah that will bring fairness & goodness to all mankind. You just never know but will have to be patient & wait & see what comes about. I can't get over the cost of all this though. I also can hardly wait to see what kind of gown Mrs. O'bama picked out to wear. She is a glassy dressier, I think & a good wife & mom too. :p

Grace
01-19-2009, 12:34 PM
That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government,

I believe that is what happened in November, when a majority of the voters decided it was time to turn away from a destructive government.

pomtzu
01-19-2009, 12:35 PM
I believe that is what happened in November, when a majority of the voters decided it was time to turn away from a destructive government.

Touche!!!:)

Lady's Human
01-19-2009, 12:38 PM
I disagree that voters decided to turn away from business as usual.

New face at the head, same tired faces behind the figurehead.

Cataholic
01-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Not unless Obama will be wearing Mickey ears and speaking in a high pitched voice with a red and black house magically appearing in the background.....(as in Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, since that seems to be the only thing I have seen in about 6 months!) :p

Its the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse theme song running in my brain right now. Thanks alot! :D

Puckstop31
01-19-2009, 02:36 PM

We shall see I reckon.

But starting out by adding TRILLIONS in new spending, with money we are just printing out of thin air is not a good way to start.

But again, we shall see. I will continue to hope and pray for the best, but prepare for the worst. History is not on our side.

JenBKR
01-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Its the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse theme song running in my brain right now. Thanks alot! :D

It's the mickey mouse clubhouse! Come inside, it's fun inside!

I think it's always running through my head...:D

Puckstop31
01-19-2009, 02:39 PM

Amen. Put shiny new siding on a rotting house and it will still collapse.

But, I am still going to give the guy a chance. He will be my President and I will support him until he stands in the way of true liberty.

cassiesmom
01-19-2009, 02:46 PM
not watching - I have a meeting at church - but recording for watching later on.

But I don't remember all of this festivizing - an all-day music festival, speech-making - for the few days before the inauguration of previous Presidents. It seems to me too much celebration for the current state of the nation (at war, crummy economy). It should be more low-key.

lvpets2002
01-19-2009, 03:08 PM
:) Now I will be at work from 8:00am to 5:00pm .. So my question is when to set the recorder.. aLL Day or from Noon on??

lizbud
01-19-2009, 04:51 PM
:) Now I will be at work from 8:00am to 5:00pm .. So my question is when to set the recorder.. aLL Day or from Noon on??

There will be stuff going on all day long, but it you record from Noon on
you shouldn't miss the swearing in ceremony.

Edwina's Secretary
01-19-2009, 05:02 PM
There will be stuff going on all day long, but it you record from Noon on
you shouldn't miss the swearing in ceremony.

That depends on what time zone you live it! If I set mine for noon I will miss it! (Except rerun a zillion times I am sure...)

Catlady711
01-19-2009, 06:30 PM
I won't be watching, and it's not out of any animosity for the incoming President. I have never watched any inauguration. Frankly, they are hugely expensive events which should be pared down quite a bit, without all the needless ceremony.

Took the words right out of my mouth.;)

ramanth
01-19-2009, 06:31 PM
I plan to put it on while taking down the X-mas decor. :)

phesina
01-19-2009, 06:56 PM
I'll be working at the cat shelter.

The cats aren't taking the day off from eating, sleeping, or crapping just because a President is being inaugurated!

lizbud
01-19-2009, 07:05 PM
That depends on what time zone you live it! If I set mine for noon I will miss it! (Except rerun a zillion times I am sure...)

You are right.:) I didn't check to see what time zone the poster lived in.
We are on EST in Indy.

blue
01-20-2009, 02:22 AM
8 years ago the medium to hard left liberals werent going to give Shrub an inch. 8 years later they still havent given an inch, no matter what good he he did, no matter what he signed off he got no credit unless it was their bad legislation.

8 years ago people lammented the end of the Clinton Era, and now people I work with are denying that fact to ignore the exit of Bush and his farwell address. Its sad to ignore the end of an era to only acknowlege the new.

Now somebody explain to me why this inauguration is an historic event?

Kirsten
01-20-2009, 06:32 AM
Well, I'm actually watching cnn right now and I think the inauguration is a very interesting event. It's nice to see so many people in good spirits. :) And it looks like a beautiful morning in Washington D.C.

Hope I'll be able to see the swearing in ceremony. It's going to be at 6 pm CET.

Kirsten

pomtzu
01-20-2009, 08:09 AM
Now somebody explain to me why this inauguration is an historic event?

News Flash!!! Every inauguration has been an historic event in it's own right.

And what I find to be sad, is that so many of the PTers that aren't even from the U.S., are more enthusiastic and interested in this event, than many of the U.S. citizens here. :confused:
Why have we become such an apathetic society? The "land of the free" is not a right - it's a privilege that was fought for and earned at a very high price. Maybe we should wake up and realize that this could be lost much more easily than it was obtained! :(

ETA: lest I forget to add IMO here so that I don't start a civil war!

caseysmom
01-20-2009, 08:22 AM
So this is noon eastern time?

I wouldn't miss it.

pomtzu
01-20-2009, 08:24 AM
So this is noon eastern time?

I wouldn't miss it.

Correct!
Pre-event coverage is on now.

lvpets2002
01-20-2009, 09:10 AM
:) I am in Texas Central Time.. Well I set the recorder on this morning right before I left && then at Noon I will put in another tape for this afternoon recording..
You are right.:) I didn't check to see what time zone the poster lived in.
We are on EST in Indy.

MoonandBean
01-20-2009, 09:13 AM
I work in a residential facility and they even changed the schedule around so the patients can watch it...I will watch it with them and have it taping at home.\

The other night, I was on the phone with microsoft (my itunes stopped working :)) and the guy I was talking to was in India. He commented on the inauguration and I said "it's making news in India?" He said "it's making news all around the world". That gave me chills :)

Randi
01-20-2009, 09:55 AM
This is indeed a historic event, and I'm so exited! The first black President in USA, and a great guy too! I predict good changes.

In less than two hours, Barack Obama is the President of United States of America!!! :D

I feel a bit sad that John is not here to witness this. :( He would have been thrilled too.

Kirsten
01-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Now the first hour of his presidency is already over. :)

So, what do you think of his speech? I thought it was really moving. Obama seemed to be very touched by the moment as well; a couple of times, I thought he was fighting down tears. And he sure was really nervous when he spoke the oath... :)

I was also wondering what Mr. Bush was thinking while he was standing there, listering. Must be a difficult moment for him, even though I thought he looked as if a heavy weight was taken away from his shoulders. While I'm typing this, the helicopter is taking him back to Texas.

So, what were your impressions?

Kirsten

Sirrahsim
01-20-2009, 12:13 PM
My impressions:
He has a great speech writer.
He wants to do a bunch of things that sound really great.
The people seem genuinely thrilled to have him.

Congratulations to our new President. He is not who I would have picked, but in my opinion there was just not a good candidate this go around. I wish him well and hope that he exceeds my expectations by leaps and bounds.

pomtzu
01-20-2009, 12:15 PM
I agree Kirsten - it was very emotional all around.

I didn't watch the coverage on CNN - I had ABC on, and I don't know if all coverage captured this or not. I noticed when Mr Obama was walking thru the hall in the Capitol before he actually went outside - that he looked absolutely terrified. He didn't have that smile or look of confidence that he always has. I felt rather bad for him at that moment.

Did anyone else happen to notice this?

lvpets2002
01-20-2009, 12:23 PM
:) Well if I was walking down that hall I would have been terrified as well.. I thought he had his calm look on.. He For Sure Gave A Great Powerfull Speech (as he always does).. I sure hope for the best for him & family & the administration.. They sure have their work cut out for them.. Congrats We The People of the USA Have A New President

Cataholic
01-20-2009, 12:30 PM
It was a very inspiring speech! My 4 year old happened to be with me at work, for lunch, and we watched it together. My mom came in for the last 15minutes or so, and we both thought it was very emotionally charged. At the end of the speech, my son said, "Gravo! Gravo!" (he means Bravo!). My little politic in the making. :)

blue
01-20-2009, 12:38 PM
I over slept and missed it, Ill watch it later.

momoffuzzyfaces
01-20-2009, 12:40 PM
I saw that but didn't think he was terrified. I thought he was trying to get his emotions under control. Specially when he had a bit of problem with the swearing in. Heck, I wouldn't have been able to remember my own name by then even if someone had told me.

I can only imagine what it means to be president, specially the first African American one. I was in tears just watching the coverage. :love:

Randi
01-20-2009, 01:07 PM
In spite of being a bit nervous to begin with - who wouldn't be, he made a very powerful speech with a lot of substance, and I believe he will do exceptionally well as a President! :)

You could tell it was an emotionally moment for him - of course, but he still got so many important things across to people. I really like his views on things, and he seems like a caring and loving person. :)

When ex President Bush was left for the helicopter, I noticed that his wife was hanging on to his arm, while President Barack Obama and his wife were holding hands. :love:

I wish the new President all the best and send lots of positive thoughts to him and his family. It will be challenging, but he can do it!!

lizbud
01-20-2009, 01:07 PM
The ceremony was great. I feel like I can finally take a deep breath.:)
Out with the old & in with the new President. Yes We Can.....:D:D

I hope the unity & pride many people feel today can continue to inspire
new positive changes for better times in our country.:)

Kirsten
01-20-2009, 01:19 PM
I noticed when Mr Obama was walking thru the hall in the Capitol before he actually went outside - that he looked absolutely terrified. He didn't have that smile or look of confidence that he always has. I felt rather bad for him at that moment.

Yes, I noticed that, too. I don't know if he was really terrified, or if he just felt the weight of his responsibility in that moment, but he sure looked like he wasn't feeling well.

Kirsten

Kirsten
01-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Wow, now they just said on cnn that somebody at the luncheon collapsed, and that paramedics are working on him. Somebody said it was Senator Ted Kennedy who has brain cancer... That's horrible! :eek:

Kirsten

pomtzu
01-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Wow, now they just said on cnn that somebody at the luncheon collapsed, and that paramedics are working on him. Somebody said it was Senator Ted Kennedy who has brain cancer... That's horrible! :eek:

Kirsten

Yes - a tragic turn of events. :( They're reporting that he had another seizure and they just took him away by ambulance. That's all they're saying right now,

Karen
01-20-2009, 02:26 PM
They are reporting that Senator Byrd had a "medical event" and while the medical folks were there for that, Senator Kennedy had a seizure. He was still seizing when being loaded into the wheelchair to be taken away, but Senator Orrin Hatch said "He gave us that big Irish smile" as the ambulance was closing its doors, which made him feel better.

Bonny
01-20-2009, 02:51 PM
What an exciting day. Someone had mentioned the old congress & President O'bama having to deal with them well it looks like they are starting to fall like dominos. Wow! I have been watching the tv & saw Senator Kennedy & thought he is really looking good. Sometimes with lots of excitement seizures can be brought on. They did make a comment that if Hilary had gone back into the Senate she was really interested in getting her hands on the health plan but Senator Kennedy said no way. I hope he will be all right along with the other congressmen that fell ill.

Daisy and Delilah
01-20-2009, 03:19 PM
The ceremony was great. I feel like I can finally take a deep breath.:)
Out with the old & in with the new President. Yes We Can.....:D:D

I hope the unity & pride many people feel today can continue to inspire
new positive changes for better times in our country.:)

It's been a magical day. We're so fortunate to be a part of this. It's really awe inspiring.

I certainly hope Senator Kennedy is going to be okay. I'm not sure what the details are right now but I'm sure we'll hear more.

It's a new day for all of us and a day filled with hope for a bright future!!!:D Best wishes to you, President Barack Obama!!!!:) :D :)

catland
01-20-2009, 03:55 PM
I listened to it at work. (9:00am PST). I feel for the first time some of that magic that people felt in the Kennedy era. (I was only seven when JFK died). I wish our new president and his family the best.

Also, thank-you President GW Bush, for being such a class act these past couple of months. I know the Clinton staffers were very petty during your transition to the office and you have rewritten the book on how it should be done. I hope they feel some shame and embarassment at this time.

caseysmom
01-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Yes former president Bush showed a lot of class.

Now to be catty....couldn't Mrs. Obama picked a cuter dress:eek: She looked like an old lady to me. The president was looking dapper as always.

Karen
01-20-2009, 04:29 PM
Here is a related question for everyone - do you this Inauguration Event - with all the concerts and celebrities and hoopla - will set a new standard for every inauguration to come?

And can you imagine being Malia and Sasha Obama, getting to say "And then Aretha Franklin sang, and she was right there, and then Yo Yo Ma and some old violinist guy played and then Daddy was President!" How cool this must have been for them!

(I did appreciate that the two girls were NOT dressed in matching outfits, thanks Mrs. Obama and Grandma.)

caseysmom
01-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Yeah I hope its not to hard on them being the first children, I mean right now its fun. I think President Obama and Michelle will make sure they have a somewhat normal childhood but you have to wonder.

lvpets2002
01-20-2009, 04:32 PM
:) Yes I am sure I will be more interested & pay more attention to the events in the years to come.. I say the concerns come with age & of course whom is taking Oath.. Oh yes I will bet this will be moments the girls will never ever forget.. However I see something in the oldest girl's eyes.. She might be our next President someday.. Who Knows..
Here is a related question for everyone - do you this Inauguration Event - with all the concerts and celebrities and hoopla - will set a new standard for every inauguration to come?

And can you imagine being Malia and Sasha Obama, getting to say "And then Aretha Franklin sang, and she was right there, and then Yo Yo Ma and some old violinist guy played and then Daddy was President!" How cool this must have been for them!

(I did appreciate that the two girls were NOT dressed in matching outfits, thanks Mrs. Obama and Grandma.)

lizbud
01-20-2009, 04:49 PM

The whole event is already fixed tradition, isn't it? I think a lot of the
enthusiam is inspired by Obama himself.:)

ramanth
01-20-2009, 05:25 PM
I watched and was very impressed by his speech. As for the Oath stumbling, it was mentioned by reporters that the gentleman swearing him in did not use his notes and so the wording was not what Obama was expecting, causing the pause and reiteration.

I loved the piece that John Williams wrote that was performed by Yo Yo Ma and the others. Beautiful!

I also hope the Senator Kennedy is okay.

Cinder & Smoke
01-20-2009, 05:37 PM
I also hope that Senator Kennedy is okay.

CBS reported at about 5:45 pm Eastern time that Senator Kennedy was
alert and communicating,
would be held in the hospital overnight for observation,
and was in good condition.

Preliminary report was that his illness was brought on by fatigue and the cold temps.
He'll probably be out on the sailboat by the weekend! ;)

ramanth
01-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Thanks Phred! :cool:

Freedom
01-20-2009, 06:29 PM
I've had the TV on most of the day, watching, listening when I couldn't be in the room. The photos of the Mall covered with people from one side to the other and all the way down to the Washington Monument and beyond, were just amazing! I don't remember ever seeing it like that.

That shot of Obama walking in the hall, I thought he looked quite emotional, not terrified, but like it was unbelievable that finally he was at the swearing in ceremony. That was how I interpreted it, anyhow. Like he was almost ready to tear up with the emotion.

The piece by John Williams, by Itzhak Perlman, Yo Yo Ma and others, was really stunning. I also really liked the poem which was written and read by the author.

The speech, once he started he really got into it and lost all the nervousness.

What a day! And tonight there are 10 Inaugural Balls in DC, and the Obamas are expected to make an appearance at all of them? Whew!

Pembroke_Corgi
01-20-2009, 06:39 PM
I got to watch this at work, with the whole 3rd grade class (the whole school got to see it of course!). It was interesting- when the audience clapped during Obama's speech, the kids starting clapping too (without prompting from teachers) and when they sang the national anthem the kids starting singing along! I thought it was cute, especially since they knew *most* of the words. ;)

Catty1
01-20-2009, 06:46 PM
I didn't take any note of Michelle Obama's outfit (other than it was a lovely bright gold). But during the swearing in - I was riveted by her face. I swear she was close to bursting with pride and a bunch of other great stuff added in.:)

Bengalz
01-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Our entire office watched the ceremony live on CNN this morning and I must say: "Barack Obama is not only an elegant and intelligent man, he is inspiring and I think he has enormous courage. I wish him every opportunity to succeed at the goals he's put in front of him and I will certainly pay a lot more attention to his efforts."

It was a special day for all.

sparks19
01-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Man I hope Michelle was wearing fleece pantyhose today... it was pretty cold in DC today and she had to sit outside in a dress. made me cold just looking at her when they walked the Bush's out to the helicopter and it was windy as all get out.

I really could have done without that poem. It was very dry.

but overall it was pretty good.

Did anyone see the parade? I missed that part

Grace
01-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Did anyone see the parade? I missed that part

I watched a lot of it on CSPAN. It started late, and finished in the dark around 1900. I felt sorry for the units that were toward the end. And I felt for the Obamas. By the time the parade was over, I think they were the only ones left in the reviewing stand.

There was the band from the high school in Hawaii that Obama graduated from; the band representing the school of Michelle; THE Ohio State University Band - too bad there wasn't enough room to do Script Ohio.

caseysmom
01-20-2009, 09:27 PM
I have a stupid question...my daughter asked me which state washington DC is in and I can't figure it out. Is it not in a state? Is it its own territory? I can't figure it out and I feel dumb!

Lady's Human
01-20-2009, 09:29 PM
The District of Columbia is not a state. It is it's own political entity.

caseysmom
01-20-2009, 09:32 PM

Thank you, you have solved a family crisis...we were all involved!

I figured you would know!

Suki Wingy
01-20-2009, 10:17 PM
I have been staying out of the dog house for a while because I've kind of had enough politics, but I watched it all today with my mom. Now I'm watching the "youth ball" thing on MTV. I really just watched it because I heard Fall Out Boy would be playing. :love: The Obamas came out and gave a speech then danced.

Twisterdog
01-21-2009, 12:19 AM
Barack Obama is not only an elegant and intelligent man, he is inspiring and I think he has enormous courage. I wish him every opportunity to succeed at the goals he's put in front of him and I will certainly pay a lot more attention to his efforts.

I agree completely.

I think he has a Herculean task in front of him. Brave man indeed.

They are a charming family, and it was a lovely ceremony.

I have to say though, I was appalled at the cost of the entire thing, in these economic times, especially. I think he missed and opportunity to downscale, save a lot of money and set a good example of such for the country. But I'm sure it wasn't all up to him.

IRescue452
01-21-2009, 01:12 AM
Missed most of it today. I don't work with tv's. I'll have to catch whatever replays I can tomorrow.

I must selfishly admit my favorite part of all the presidential hubub has been any reference made about Lincoln. That's the sliver left of the hope I once had for equal rights. I've got Lincoln's gay marriage poem hanging on my wall.

davidpizzica
01-21-2009, 04:31 AM

LH, is there a possibility that DC could become a state? I've heard some rumors.

Lady's Human
01-21-2009, 05:06 AM
There's always the possibility of DC becoming a state, but it would take a constitutional amendment for it to happen.

kitten645
01-21-2009, 06:13 AM
"I have to say though, I was appalled at the cost of the entire thing, in these economic times, especially. I think he missed and opportunity to downscale, save a lot of money and set a good example of such for the country. But I'm sure it wasn't all up to him."

While I agree, at least they are putting some people to work and infusing money into the economy and not just by bailing out...honest work. Even if it was for a day. Maybe this "gig" held over alot of middle class business. One hopes. :D
Claudia

smokey the elder
01-21-2009, 07:20 AM
They had a recap of the inauguration last night. I sure hope he had long underwear on while giving his speech! I heard exherpts (sp?) of his speedh; my favorite line was along the lines of "We'll extend a hand to you if you unclench your fist" in reference to the violent factions in the world.

On a lighter note, I did not care for Michelle's gown. I can't put my finger on it why, but my first gut impression is that she had an old ratty sheet wrapped around her!:eek: I guess I have no taste. I liked Faith Hill's dress, though.:):p

Medusa
01-21-2009, 07:32 AM
I sure hope he had long underwear on while giving his speech!

There were heat vents under him. If you'll notice, you didn't see his breath while he was speaking.

caseysmom
01-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Me and the president are about the same age so this cracked me up...

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/2009/01/21/vo.inaug.obama.boogies.cnn

lizbud
01-21-2009, 09:40 AM
Me and the president are about the same age so this cracked me up...

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/2009/01/21/vo.inaug.obama.boogies.cnn

Thanks for sharing the video.:D So cool.:) I love it.

lizbud
01-21-2009, 09:46 AM
"I have to say though, I was appalled at the cost of the entire thing, in these economic times, especially. I think he missed and opportunity to downscale, save a lot of money and set a good example of such for the country. But I'm sure it wasn't all up to him."

Claudia

I think private money pays for everything.:confused: Even the groups that come to perform are sponsered by private funds.

caseysmom
01-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Thanks for sharing the video.:D So cool.:) I love it.

Wasn't it cool? Its nice to have young hip president...did I mention good looking:D

kitten645
01-21-2009, 10:55 AM
That video is a hoot! Can you imagine? "I bumped with the prez on inauguration night?" LOL!

"I think private money pays for everything. Even the groups that come to perform are sponsered by private funds."

Well at least someone got paid by someone to make hordeourves and set up folding tables and chairs! Someone had a job! Lets hope more do soon :love:
Claudia

Kirsten
01-22-2009, 11:03 AM
Yep, the video is cool! They looked so happy! :)

Kirsten

Twisterdog
01-22-2009, 09:01 PM
I've got Lincoln's gay marriage poem hanging on my wall.

Lincoln wrote a gay marriage poem? I had no idea. Do share.

"We'll extend a hand to you if you unclench your fist".

I love that!