PDA

View Full Version : It's -2 degrees outside.. and I decided..

CountryWolf07
01-15-2009, 08:35 AM
To skip my Alcohol & Society class. There's no way I am going outside and walk to class in this type of weather! Thanks Ohio State for being "safe" ;). A lot of schools have closed in the county, including around Ohio State! Last night, I had night class.. and when I got there, the professor informed us that she found out that we were under Level 1 State emergency due to the snowstorm/weather, she decided to keep us for 45 minutes, and then told us "if you wanted to go, due to your safety, walk home, drive home, go ahead, but I will resume this class for another 30 minutes" and I chose to go home in the blizzard.

Just a wee rant of mine. This is probably the first and last class I will skip for this quarter and the rest of my college career.

IRescue452
01-15-2009, 08:56 AM
Yeah if there's a blizzard you definately shouldn't be in class. Best for you to be safe. As for the cold, its -20 right now and I still have work :( The cold is starting to seep into the house, suddenly the second floor is a lot warmer than the first. The furnace is running non-stop.

CountryWolf07
01-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Wow! How do you handle that type of weather? Obviously, this doesn't happen OFTEN in Ohio, even in mid-Ohio. Cleveland, yes, but not in Columbus. I have two classes today that I will be going to, because they are closer to where I live off campus. I am wondering about my night class at 6:30-8:30PM, who knows if it will be on or not. It is supposed to be -4 degrees tonight.

Cincy'sMom
01-15-2009, 10:42 AM
When I was at Cincinnati, a common thing in this type of weather was to cancel classes begining before 10 am or after 6pm.

What made me mad was the first time this happened, I had a class scheduled from 9:30-11am that we were expected to arrive at 10 am for...To me when the wording was classes that begin before 10 am doesn't mean show up a 1/2 hr late. If the prof. wanted it that way, he should have made his expectations clear before hand, rather then punish those who did not come to class that day. Oh well, I passed the class (D is for Diploma!) and graduated, so I guess it doesn't matter now!

Being Cincinnati, there are hills everywhere! We lived in a house off-campus that was just up a the street, but literally on the other side of a small hill. So yes, I had to walk up hill to school both ways, in 18in of snow!!

Medusa
01-15-2009, 10:48 AM
It was -7 here in Canal Fulton when I woke up this morning. I've been freezing for days.

smokey the elder
01-15-2009, 11:00 AM
I was at RPI (Troy, NY) in 1979-1980, one of the coldest winters in recent memory. I lived in a dorm quite far from campus, and don't remember classes ever being cancelled due to cold weather. All the students looked like the little kids in the snowsuits with the arms sticking straight out!

CountryWolf07
01-15-2009, 12:40 PM
I was at RPI (Troy, NY) in 1979-1980, one of the coldest winters in recent memory. I lived in a dorm quite far from campus, and don't remember classes ever being cancelled due to cold weather. All the students looked like the little kids in the snowsuits with the arms sticking straight out!

Gosh, that's me today, for the afternoon, walking to my two classes! :rolleyes:

M&M's Mommy
01-15-2009, 02:37 PM
NEGATIVE 2 Degree?? :eek:

It's 85F over here in California!

Medusa
01-15-2009, 03:19 PM
NEGATIVE 2 Degree?? :eek:

It's 85F over here in California!

My son whined yesterday that he had to turn on his AC there in CA. We in OH have a wind chill of -25 right now, going to -35 tomorrow. :eek:

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-15-2009, 04:09 PM
OMG, that is almost -19°C :eek:!!
And -7°F equals -21,5°C

BBbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

jennielynn1970
01-15-2009, 07:14 PM
My college never closed for cold, because most people lived on campus. I was one of the minority few who was off campus, so we had class all the time, unless there was a blizzard or really bad icy conditions. When I was taking grad classes, though, if school closed early, we didn't have classes cause we were an off site campus. That worked out well!

In our school district, where I teach, we have 4 snow days allocated in our school year. Any more than 4 and we have to extend the school year. If we don't use them though, we don't get out earlier. Not fair in my eyes, lol. We do have late starts when it's below zero though, usually so that the little kids aren't standing out at bus stops for long periods of time.

By the way, it's freezing here in PA too, and is supposed to be worse tomorrow, only going up on Sunday for a snow storm!

chocolatepuppy
01-15-2009, 07:14 PM
It's 5* here right now with -11* windchill and headed for colder.:rolleyes: Not the kind of weather to be walking to class in!

cassiesmom
01-15-2009, 07:40 PM
When I was going to Valpo (this was 1985, my sophomore year) they cancelled classes for one day during a very windy snow storm because they were concerned about faculty members getting to campus safely. But that was (still is) a rare occurrence.

I'd love to be in California right now!

cali
01-15-2009, 08:03 PM
I wish stuff got canceled on account of weather here, but all our school boards said flat out that they will NEVER close for any kind of weather because we outa expect it lol. nope were are expected to be at work and school when its -50, blizzarding and zero visiability lol. the other day I had to dig my way to work, I was snowed into the house, had to dig my out, down the walk, shovel around the gate so I could open it, shovel to the car..find the car...dig the car out...lol. -2 is only -19C and really that isnt too bad..cold if your not used to it, but downright toasty next to -50 lol

CountryWolf07
01-15-2009, 08:10 PM
i wish stuff got canceled on account of weather here, but all our school boards said flat out that they will never close for any kind of weather because we outa expect it lol. Nope were are expected to be at work and school when its -50, blizzarding and zero visiability lol. The other day i had to dig my way to work, i was snowed into the house, had to dig my out, down the walk, shovel around the gate so i could open it, shovel to the car..find the car...dig the car out...lol. -2 is only -19c and really that isnt too bad..cold if your not used to it, but downright toasty next to -50 lol

that is crazy!