PDA

View Full Version : Friesians

finn's mom
01-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Has anyone had any experience with this type of horse? It is my favorite breed, from what I have seen and read, but I want to know firsthand experiences if anyone has had any. We just became the owners of a little over 5 acres and in a few years, God willing, we will bless the land and our lives with a horse! I will have taken horsemanship classes and gotten educated on being a horse owner before I take the step and may change my mind about breeds by then. But, for now, the Friesian has my heart. :love:

Husky_mom
01-13-2009, 03:05 PM
I absolutely have no clue.. but Friesians rock!!... I love them!!!...

Suki Wingy
01-13-2009, 04:38 PM
I have met two in my life, both pretty nice. Other than that, I don't know much. If you like them then you should subscribe to this channel, she makes sale vids for Fresian breeders
http://www.youtube.com/user/CallyMatherly

or this person with her stallions
http://www.youtube.com/user/lauraz7

lvpets2002
01-13-2009, 04:41 PM
:) Never met one in horse person.. But from what I have heard & read they are a very nice breed of horses..

shepgirl
01-13-2009, 05:00 PM
Freisiens are a lovely horse with a very smooth gait. Easy enough to train but I think it's like all breeds. You need a reputable dealer or you could be in trouble. They do aim to please but they also have a mind of their own. I would say if you don't know much about them you should take someone experienced with you . Your vet should also be checking out the horse for any "hidden" problems that a newbie wouldn't know how to detect. They aren't the cheapest horse to buy so you want to make sure you get what you pay for. Ask questions , try out the horse, do things with it that you would do at home. Temperament is pretty obvious to check unless it's been sedated which happens quite often in the horse world. A vet would know all this, plus more. an experienced horse person will know lots of things to be aware of also.
They are beautiful horses though.

finn's mom
01-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Freisiens are a lovely horse with a very smooth gait. Easy enough to train but I think it's like all breeds. You need a reputable dealer or you could be in trouble. They do aim to please but they also have a mind of their own. I would say if you don't know much about them you should take someone experienced with you . Your vet should also be checking out the horse for any "hidden" problems that a newbie wouldn't know how to detect. They aren't the cheapest horse to buy so you want to make sure you get what you pay for. Ask questions , try out the horse, do things with it that you would do at home. Temperament is pretty obvious to check unless it's been sedated which happens quite often in the horse world. A vet would know all this, plus more. an experienced horse person will know lots of things to be aware of also.
They are beautiful horses though.

Yeah, I had all this in mind, for sure. I definitely noticed that they aren't your average horse, as far as finding horses for sale. ;) I'll definitely have someone with me that knows horses, preferably someone who knows that breed. And, I would love to find a vet who specializes in horses to check the animal out before I make any purchase.

And, this is all just a dream. We have the land now, and horses are welcome there. So that's one step closer to the dream then I was last year. Baby steps!

The guy I want to learn from is a trainer who does demonstrations of his methods at the state fair. We saw him last year and were really impressed, kind of a horse whisperer type method. His name is Robert Liner and he has several different levels of training camps available. :)

lute
01-16-2009, 09:06 PM
I don't know anything about them, but I think they are the most beautiful horses!