PDA

View Full Version : A horse is a horse. Of course, of course?

RICHARD
01-12-2009, 08:24 PM
I first met the Cyldesdale horses back in 2001.

It was early on September 7, 2001 in the morning.

I was at the L.A. County Fair when I hear this rumbling noise. I was standing with a 7 year old-in between two long buildings that formed a long walkway.

The noise of a team of 1 ton horses, pulling a beer wagon makes you think about mortality!;).

I grabbed the kid by the shoulders and stood as still as possible as the rumbled by. The brewery has a 'guide' that walks ahead of the team when they go into a crowd, I don't think I even moved an inch when he motioned me aside and the crew walked by.

I am scared of horses and really any animal that is taller and fatter than I am.

--------------

I got a chance to see the CDHs once again at an airshow.....they weren't walking amongst the crowd this time! But, I was standing by the taped off area and was still scared s-less.

These animals are magnificent and when you look into their eyes you can see the intelligence and the understanding that they are WAY bigger than YOU are and they are there to have a good time...

Karen
01-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Oh, Richard I am completely jealous! I have only met the Budweiser Clydesdales once, but adore adore adore the draft horses!My "uncle of sorts" had a couple mixed breed probably Belgian mixes - they were big old placid guys whose backs were so wide and flat you could have set a tea party on them without much trouble.

Like with certain big breeds of dogs - the giants tend to be the sweetest ones!

RICHARD
01-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Oh, Richard I am completely jealous! I have only met the Budweiser Clydesdales once, but adore adore adore the draft horses!My "uncle of sorts" had a couple mixed breed probably Belgian mixes - they were big old placid guys whose backs were so wide and flat you could have set a tea party on them without much trouble.

Like with certain big breeds of dogs - the giants tend to be the sweetest ones!

Please, don't be jealous!;)

The first time I was so scared - they pranced by about 20 feet away - It was way too cool! They made the earth move!

The second time, by providence, I had a camera and was prepared.

In the lead pair, the horse on the left was was being a brat.

The horse on the right, the closer one to me, walked straight ahead, all the while "Lefty" was swinging his head to the left and bumping his pal!

I had forgot this until I looked at the pics! I remember thinking that IF the horse did come my way, I'd die with a camera lodged in my head!:eek:

We have a BUD brewery about 6 miles away and they show up a few times a year!:D

boomersooner
01-13-2009, 06:01 PM
I love the big horses!! I see them every year at the State Fair of Texas, and my husband just saw them at the NC bowl game in Miami....he also got to play with their 10 month old baby Dalmatian....or Dogmation, as we call them!!

Taz_Zoee
01-13-2009, 09:19 PM
I also used to see them every year at the Grape Festival in Lodi. Beautiful animals, for sure!!

KYS
01-14-2009, 02:47 PM
They are magnificent looking. Quite impressive!!!
If the weather is not to hot, I will try to go to the fair this year and hopefully they will be their.

RICHARD
01-14-2009, 03:05 PM
They are magnificent looking. Quite impressive!!!
If the weather is not to hot, I will try to go to the fair this year and hopefully they will be their.

They were there opening day, which is Dollar Day! Only a buck to get in, I'll keep my eyes peeled for news!

http://www.traderspoint.org/news_bud_factsheet.html

Husky_mom
01-14-2009, 03:18 PM
draft horses are my faveeeeeeees....

are you kidding me??!!...they kept asking me to step back... and I kept asking "can I ride him??... pretty pleeeeease......*whine*.." LOL

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-14-2009, 04:25 PM
I adore:love: clydesdales!! I saw the Anheuser Bush clydesdales several time years ago when we lived in St.Louis! They are absolutely gorgeous!!

Suki Wingy
01-14-2009, 07:01 PM
WOW Isabel, that horse looks like he is 19 hands!

RICHARD
01-14-2009, 08:00 PM
WOW Isabel, that horse looks like he is 19 hands!

I was tripping on that.

I am 6"2' and my head was barely even with the horses back! I know you can't ask a woman her age, but is it o.k. to ask her height?:eek::D

chocolatepuppy
01-14-2009, 08:29 PM
http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=65&pictureid=488
Me with the Clydesdales! Taken 7/98 at Sea World in Ohio. I was SO happy to see them and to get my picture taken with them!:D
Excuse the pic and the glare, it's a pic of a pic, my scanner has a mind of it's own.;)

RICHARD
01-14-2009, 08:38 PM
http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=65&pictureid=488

DUDE! this is like UFO spotting, they show up all over the place!:D

Suki Wingy
01-14-2009, 10:29 PM
I have some pictures of some Clydesdales somewhere on a cd from the county fair a few years ago, I should see if I can dig them up.

Husky_mom
01-15-2009, 10:35 AM
I´m not ashamed to tell my age nor my height.. LOL.. I´m not tall... not very sure about conversions but I´m 1.60mt.. I think it´s about 5´2" maybe?? LOL