PDA

View Full Version : Fine for Feeding Stray Cats

momtomany
01-12-2009, 05:40 PM
For those of who do TNR and are caretakers to colonies, this is absolutely what we don't need to worry about. I am so mad right now I can't think straight.

http://blogs.catster.com/the-cats-meow-a-cat-and-kitten-blog/in-upstate-new-york-feeding-ferals-can-cost-you-50/2009/01/12/

phesina
01-12-2009, 05:43 PM
How utterly disgusting and cold-hearted.

Emeraldgreen
01-12-2009, 05:48 PM
I think it's terrible that a law like this would be put in place and that some people could potentially use it for their own gain if property is damaged. :(

Taz_Zoee
01-12-2009, 05:52 PM
So if my neighbor just doesn't like me and I'm not the one feeding the feral cats, they could say I was and I'd get fined. That is NOT right.
It's all just ridiculous. :(

momcat
01-12-2009, 06:35 PM
"Troublesome ferral cats"? How cruel can these people get? These poor creatures are only trying to survive, it most certainly is not their fault that they have to fend for themselves :mad: :( :mad:
Maybe they should direct their efforts to enforce spay/neuter instead of leaving these kitties to starve?.

lizbud
01-12-2009, 06:38 PM
That is just crazy. It they don't already have a ACA group in that city
someone should start a chapter in that town. People in groups are better
able to influence lawmakers decisions. Here is a great organization.

http://www.alleycat.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=191

catmandu
01-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Thats terrinble that I could be fined for setting up food and shelter for these Poor Creatures of Our Lord, who as has been pointed out are tryingto survive in a cold , sometimes cruel world.:eek:
And our SPCA has a plan that they are no longer obligated to pick up stary animals , if they feel that they are not adoptable.:eek::mad:
Wonderful thought there , excepr the creatures of God are not going to go away , they are going to survive the best way that they know how and will multiply and become more and more feral as time goes on endangering other species like birds and small forest animals.:(
With a depression coming, its going to be so hard on these poor Animals:(:(

Freedom
01-13-2009, 09:56 AM
I was going to suggest that you pass this along to Alley Cat Allies, but I see Lizbud did this already.

Grr!

In our city, we have something similar EXCEPT, if you are doing the TNRM as part of a recognized organization, you are exempt. That still doesn't help concerned citizens who help cats, but does ensure that the folks helping them has back up, guidance, and a source of info. Not perfect, but better than the law you posted!

lvpets2002
01-13-2009, 10:02 AM
:mad: Grrrr that is so horrible.. I will feed any stray that I want to.. For sure if its my money & time then the babies will be feed.. I would think the cat will distruct & do more damages if it is not feed.. Due to of the hunger it will tear up stuff more looking for food.. If the cat is full & healthy they will not distroy things.. Again some more stupid people..

Randi
01-13-2009, 10:39 AM
"Troublesome ferral cats"? How cruel can these people get? These poor creatures are only trying to survive, it most certainly is not their fault that they have to fend for themselves :mad: :( :mad:
Maybe they should direct their efforts to enforce spay/neuter instead of leaving these kitties to starve?.
You took the words right out of my mouth. This is outrageous!! :mad: A lot of people need education!!

Medusa
01-13-2009, 02:45 PM
It's worse here in Ohio, especially in Akron city proper. If a cat is trapped, it's euthanized w/in 24 hours. For a while, an acquaintance of mine was stealing the traps so that the cats couldn't be euthanized but neighbors threatened to have him arrested if he didn't stop. At least in this story the mayor said that she'd need documentation, photos, etc. to prove that someone was feeding a stray. It's still disgusting. The people who should be fined are the ones who allow their cats to breed indefinitely and then let them roam the streets. The poor cats are only trying to survive.

momtomany
01-13-2009, 05:36 PM
I did try and pass this on to Alley Cats but for someone reason my email wouldn't allow me too.

catmandu
01-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Amen to that!!
As lomg as I live at the Found Cat Paradise Hotel there will be food and shelter for any lost Soul who comes here be they Cats , Birds or Squirrels.
It the Christian and the Human Thing to do.:love::love::love:

pomtzu
01-14-2009, 07:00 AM
Here in Delaware, the law states that if you provide food for a stray/feral for 3 days or more, then you are the legal owner, and subject to Delaware law.
I was the victim of this situation last Spring. I had 2 "resident strays" - Sherbie who I still have, and O.C. who is now at RB.
O.C. had any injury to his leg and I took him to the vet for treatment. Being that I had no shot records for him and the injury appeared to be a bite, then I had 2 options. Either have him put down or cage quarantine him for a full 6 months since it could have been a bite from a rabid animal (and I live in a rural area). Due to a lot of different circumstances, it was impossible to quarantine him, so he had to be PTS. In addition, my vet was required by law to report a "possible" rabies incident, and subsequently I got served with a summons by Animal Control for failure to inoculate "my" cat, and this was how I found out about the 3 day ownership law. I took it to court and pleaded not guilty and the case was dismissed on a technicality, but if the rookie animal control officer that testified hadn't screwed up, I would have been found guilty and fined.
Yet the courts continue to turn their heads and look the other way in regard to animal abuse and cruelty. It's all bureaucratic b.s. IMO
O.C. was a beautiful orangie, and he didn't need to die. I know it wasn't rabies, but I was powerless to do anything about it!

Medusa
01-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Here in Delaware, the law states that if you provide food for a stray/feral for 3 days or more, then you are the legal owner, and subject to Delaware law.
I was the victim of this situation last Spring. I had 2 "resident strays" - Sherbie who I still have, and O.C. who is now at RB.
O.C. had any injury to his leg and I took him to the vet for treatment. Being that I had no shot records for him and the injury appeared to be a bite, then I had 2 options. Either have him put down or cage quarantine him for a full 6 months since it could have been a bite from a rabid animal (and I live in a rural area). Due to a lot of different circumstances, it was impossible to quarantine him, so he had to be PTS. In addition, my vet was required by law to report a "possible" rabies incident, and subsequently I got served with a summons by Animal Control for failure to inoculate "my" cat, and this was how I found out about the 3 day ownership law. I took it to court and pleaded not guilty and the case was dismissed on a technicality, but if the rookie animal control officer that testified hadn't screwed up, I would have been found guilty and fined.
Yet the courts continue to turn their heads and look the other way in regard to animal abuse and cruelty. It's all bureaucratic b.s. IMO
O.C. was a beautiful orangie, and he didn't need to die. I know it wasn't rabies, but I was powerless to do anything about it!

This case demonstrates the validity of my point, that the people who should be fined are the ones who allow their cats to roam and make babies. This case is shameful and unfair, to you, of course, Ellie, and to poor OC who died needlessly. :mad::(

catmandu
01-14-2009, 10:56 AM
IF I HAD MY WISH, I WOULD TAKE ALL THE HUNGRY AND STARY DOGS AND CATS AND TURN THEM LOOSE HERE , WHERE THEY COULD FEAST TO THIER HEARTS CONTENT.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/meowies1913.jpg
I KNOW THAT THE ANIMAL ANGEL ARMY LOVES COMING HERE!!!:love::love:

Anikaca77
01-14-2009, 03:03 PM
I have no idea if PA or State College the town I live in has any rules for these. I bet in Philly or Pittsburgh they might but around here I've never heard of any rules. This just so unfair those poor cats can't help it if they were tossed out or born on the streets. I would hope that they would be able to get some food some place.