PDA

View Full Version : *Sigh*

Pam
01-12-2009, 05:11 PM
I heard earlier today that President-elect Obama is thinking of either a Labradoodle or a Portugese Water Dog as a new "First Pet." I really hope he goes with PWD, or this is going to create a run on *designer breed Labradoodles.* :mad: If he goes with a Labradoodle I hope it is a rescue. *sigh*

caseysmom
01-12-2009, 05:12 PM
I don't know anything about a pwd but I will be upset if he goes with a labradoodle too....isn't Oprah talking to him or what?

Freedom
01-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Yup, saw that in our morning news paper.

It DID say they are looking at shelters.

caseysmom
01-12-2009, 05:19 PM
I wonder why they don't look for a standard poodle, why a labradoodle...bleh....

Pam
01-12-2009, 05:21 PM
I wonder why they don't look for a standard poodle, why a labradoodle...bleh....

I would never come out and say that, but honestly that was my first thought. It is not like grooming (which might be an expense) would be a problem. Aside from that, who wouldn't want one? (OK I know I am a wee bit biased. :rolleyes: )

caseysmom
01-12-2009, 05:26 PM
I would never come out and say that, but honestly that was my first thought. It is not like grooming (which might be an expense) would be a problem. Aside from that, who wouldn't want one? (OK I know I am a wee bit biased. :rolleyes: )

Me too;)

Twisterdog
01-12-2009, 05:27 PM

I agree. When I saw that headline today I told my employees, "He's thinking a labradoodle!" and their unanimous response was the same ... "What? A labradoodle!? You've got to be kidding!"

Plus, as far as grooming, labradoodles require just as much as standard poodles, at the same cost.

I am praying he goes to a rescue ... but I sense with two little girls, the "But we want a puppy, Daddy!" factor is going to be hard to overcome.

caseysmom
01-12-2009, 05:29 PM
He has an opportunity to make himself an example...this country kills millions of animals every year, now with all eyes on him I sure hope he rescues.

Pam
01-12-2009, 05:51 PM
He has an opportunity to make himself an example...this country kills millions of animals every year, now with all eyes on him I sure hope he rescues.

Me too. Maybe Oprah can enlighten him about puppy mills and designer breeds.

Pam
01-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Sen Kennedy is suggesting the PWD as he owns two (just saw it on the news). Fonzie (Henry Winkler) is a Labradoodle owner who claims they don't shed. Sen. Kennedy challenges him on that as I do. I will sit on the edge of my seat to see how this plays out. For my part, I am hoping they choose the PWD or a labradoodle rescue.

caseysmom
01-12-2009, 06:13 PM
I thought the shedding allergy thing was a myth, I thought it was their dander that caused allergies and the best thing to do is regular bathing?

Alysser
01-12-2009, 06:18 PM
I just can't see him NOT going with a rescue. It's safe to say about half of America didn't want him as president. Calculate how many are dog lovers, rescuers, animal shelter volunteers, etc. Would he REALLY want to disappoint them? I just don't think it's worth it at all, it would be a dumb thing to do in my opinion. Rest assured he is staying away from BYB's because of a dog named Baby, he said he wants to do something about stopping puppymills and the like. He'd be contradicting himself if he did that!

I'm hoping he'll go for a rescue too, of course.

Twisterdog
01-12-2009, 09:13 PM
He is on the cover of American Dog magazine this month, holding Baby, the three-legged bischon. It is, btw, a very good magazine, if you have never read it before.

Karen
01-12-2009, 09:55 PM
He said at the beginning they'd be getting a shelter dog - we all know there are plenty of purebreds in shelters, and I doubt any little girl could resist when presented with a rescue doggie! :)

scrain2329
01-12-2009, 10:23 PM
He said at the beginning they'd be getting a shelter dog - we all know there are plenty of purebreds in shelters, and I doubt any little girl could resist when presented with a rescue doggie! :)

agreed. there are lots of shelter babies that need help too. Whatever the decision; breed, age, anything... we all hope the same thing for the dog. A warm, happy family to grow old with : )

K9karen
01-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Sen Kennedy is suggesting the PWD as he owns two (just saw it on the news). Fonzie (Henry Winkler) is a Labradoodle owner who claims they don't shed. Sen. Kennedy challenges him on that as I do. I will sit on the edge of my seat to see how this plays out. For my part, I am hoping they choose the PWD or a labradoodle rescue.

I heard this too, Pam. I'm listening to the news now, and it was mentioned that they are going to a shelter first. I'm all for the PWD too. I hope with being in school, playing with friends, that they don't lose interest after Daddy Obama tells them to do poop pick up duty. I know they'll have "People" to do that, but that certainly won't teach responsibility. He**, my parents didn't trust me enough with my social life, to have a dog until I was 40 and sowed some wild oats!

Giselle
01-12-2009, 10:58 PM
I have nothing against Labrador/Poodle mix dogs themselves. But I have serious qualms about designer dog breeders, as do many many many other folks..

Sooooo...there's GOT to be some type of petition flying around isn't there? Or isn't there a big legislative body that would counter this? COUGH AKC? COUGH. Whatever happened to that AKC rep?

Karen
01-12-2009, 11:05 PM
I'm sure there are many petitions flying around cyberspace. I am also sure that both the Obama parents will take this decision seriously, and that it is their business and their hearts that will decide. They both seem like very intelligent people, and I am not worried.

I am sure Sasha and Malia bug them every night, and euqally sure mommy and Daddy say "Let's wait until we settle into the new house, so it won't be as confusing for the new doggie!" And until that day arrives, people will speculate and conjecture and opine - about this and everything else!

We humans are a peculiar bunch, aren't we?

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-13-2009, 03:46 AM
What is a "labradoodle"?? Does anybody have a picture of this breed?

Pam
01-13-2009, 05:29 AM
What is a "labradoodle"?? Does anybody have a picture of this breed?

Lut, here is a link with some pictures and the story. I haven't read the whole article but it gives you an idea.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article5497602.ece

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-13-2009, 06:26 AM
Thanks, Pam!!:)

catnapper
01-13-2009, 07:29 AM
I was thinking hte same thing... only for a while there he was also looking at Golden-doodles. I like being one of hte only ones with a Callie in my neighborhood. I don't want a hundred others running around..... AND BEING GIVEN UP LIKE SHE WAS BECAUSE THEY HADN'T BARGAINED FOR SUCH A HIGH-ENERGY DOG.:mad:

sasvermont
01-13-2009, 08:06 AM
I saw an interview on Sunday and as I recall, Michelle and hubby stated that they would begin looking for either dog at shelters. Petfinder would be a good start, I am sure.

I am not convinced that everyone is going to go out and get a "Whitehouse dog". I haven't seen a ton of Scotties running around since Bush started collecting them on his "watch". By the way, as a child, I always wanted a Scottie - thinking that Toto from The Wizard of Oz, was one. I eventually had two Scotties. The power of suggestion is strong, I know. I think movies with dogs in them bring on the "Oh Mom, I want one just like Marley" thinking, much more than a presidental family adopting a shaggy mixed breed dog or a PWH. I could be wrong. We shall see.

I would love to have a standard Poodle too and think they are the best looking and smartest of doggies. I am not home all that often and having a doggie at this stage in my life is not fair to the doggie!

I bet the Obamas get their dog from a shelter. Unlike VP elect, Biden, who just contracted someone to train their new GSD (from a breeder) before it arrrives at his home. :rolleyes:

I wonder if Obamas will have someone train their new pup. I think I recall seeing the guy who is in charge of walking etc. Barney, one of the current Whitehouse Scotties - I wonder if his job is secure with the Obamas and if so, maybe he could potty train the pupster before he damages the floors at the WH?

Twisterdog
01-13-2009, 01:09 PM
I am not convinced that everyone is going to go out and get a "Whitehouse dog". I haven't seen a ton of Scotties running around since Bush started collecting them on his "watch".

That's a point, since I honestly had no idea that Bush even owned scotties.

However, I think things might be different with the Obamas. They are a younger family with kids, and a lot more people in the market for a dog are going to identify with them, I think.

cassiesmom
01-13-2009, 07:29 PM
I was hoping they would adopt a shelter dog before they left Chicago, but then I heard on the news that they've been living in a hotel for a couple of weeks, so adopting before they moved may not have been an option. I'm sure there are lots of good shelters in D.C. that would be happy to have the Obama family as adopters.

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-14-2009, 06:08 AM
Very interseting post. Being overseas, I don't get as much news of what is going on over there. Reuters and BBC seem less interested in what the breed of the First Dog will be. I do hope they will rescue. That would be setting a great example to the rest of the nation as well as their young daughters!