PDA

View Full Version : Speed Up Your PC

lizbud
01-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Has anyone used a product which promises to speed up your pc?

Which one have you tried and did it work?

Hellow
01-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Most of those programs are cheap junk that installs malicious programs onto your computer. The one program that I know to work, and many back me with this, is CCCleaner.

DJFyrewolf36
01-12-2009, 09:41 PM
I agree. The programs that "speed up your pc" tend to do more harm than good.

If you aren't experencing slow down issues due to a virus or adware there isnt really much a piece of software can do to speed things up.

Catty1
01-12-2009, 10:18 PM
CCleaner ROCKS!

Here's the link and instructions I posted elsewhere. Freedom can vouch for this program.

1. http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Upper RHS - you'll see a green arrow and words saying "Download Latest Version". Do that.

Then open and run it. This thing will clean out more unused and useless files than Windows Disk Cleanup can dream of.

When you go to the Windows tab on CCleaner, uncheck Autocomplete Form History. You may need to recover some passwords after this, but it is worth it. Check off all other boxes below. When a little box pops up to warn you, click OK and make it go away.

Then check Run Cleaner in the lower RH corner of the window. When it's done, look at how much crap it's removed! # is at the top of the window.

Do the same with the Applications tab.

In the left hand column, click on Registry. Click "Scan for issues" below. Click "No" to Back Up Registry popup box when it appears after you click "Fix Selected Issues" in the lower part of the box. Follow the prompts.

Repeat the Registry scan until no more appear.

This is longer to type than it is to do...and it will really clear up some space for you!

2. ALSO - Right click on the Start Menu, click Explore, and go to both Windows lists (there are two Windows). Click Temp in each list, Select All in the area to the right (Ctrl + A) then hit delete.

In the LONG Windows list, also go to Prefetch, select all, and delete.

3. This is a link for AIDA32 http://majorgeeks.com/download181.html

Install and run that, and it will give you a "portrait" of your computer. When the window opens up, don't panic at all the stuff - click on Memory on the LHS and then on SPD. That will show you how much RAM you have. You may need to add more to speed up your computer.

However, CCleaner will work wonders by itself!:)