PDA

View Full Version : Pet Gray Squirrels

Desert Arabian
09-18-2002, 04:14 PM
This is kinda an odd question:

Does anyone on here own a pet Gray Squirrel, or know of someone who does?? If you do... are they cool pets? If you don't have one... would you want to own one.

I'm not thinking of getting one, but on AOL Pet of the Day- there are two or three pet squirrels, and I was just curious as to if they are a cool pet or not.

Thanks!

--YellowLabLover--

Uabassoon
09-18-2002, 04:28 PM
I think that would be a cool pet too. I didn't know that people could have them as pets, but I think that they are cute.

Aspen and Misty
09-18-2002, 05:28 PM
Aww my Robie baby. Brings back great memorys of the tiem we shared. R.I.P. I got Robie off of my front porch. He was a young fisty little guy. O he was the joy of my life. He was onyl about the size of your hand and still had the "baby look". He would attach himself to my back an not let go. He would sit on my shoulder while I was on teh computer and LOVED to ride on my head. I have the cutest picture of him, he is still litte and sitting in a little kids hood of his coat. Fast a sleep. He would sleep with me on the couch. He loves to snuggle under my chin and rest there fro hours. He went everywhere with me. When people talk about there dogs being constant companinons, well so Was Robie. Me being young I spent every awake moment with him. I feed him every 4 hours and got up at 6:00 A.M in the middle of summer just to feed him. Sadly, I didn't know that Squirrels are diabetice and he died of Low blood suger. All he need was a bit of gatorade and I could of saved him but I didn't know and our vet said he doens't work on Squirrels and they we were to kill hiim any way possible as Squirrels will attack you for no reson, at least acordnign to him. We asked him if he woudl put him to sleep for us and he said no, he didn't want a Squirrel in his office. (we no longer go to him for obviouse resons) I rember staying up all nigth balling my eyes out and holding him as he had seizurs and his breath fainted. He was so dear to me. I love him still so much today and I wish he was here sitting on my shoulder ready to go wherever I went.

Ash

Desert Arabian
09-19-2002, 06:18 AM
That's really cool and sad. He sounded like an awesome pet. I'd love to have a pet squirrel.

lv4dogs
09-19-2002, 08:23 AM
I have known people that kept them as pets and as long as you raise, care and train for them properly they are good pets. I do not reccomend it as they are a wild animal. I do a lot of rescues w/ baby squireels (CONSTANTLY in spring & summer) I now have 3 that are being reeased in a week or 2. You see at the vets office I work in we get quite a few people that find the babies or injured ones on the ground & bring them in to us but my boyfriend is a proffesional arborvist (tree surgon) so he gets a ton from work & I am stuck w/ 1/2 of them my other friend who's boyfriend also works with mine keeps the other 1/2 of the squirells. We only keep them long enough to raise them or nurse them back to health then we release them and we handle them only when neede as this way they will do better back in the wild.