PDA

View Full Version : What would you get if you mixed ? with ?........

GoldieMom
10-31-2000, 06:25 PM
What do you think would be some wierd mixes of dogs? For example: a collie with a Dalmation! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/confused.gif Would they be long white haired with black spots?? Or a Beagle and a Cocker Spanial?? What is your say? Let us know! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

carrie
10-31-2000, 07:24 PM
Oooo....Ooooo....trying to stop myself......but can't! You only have to look at some of the pedigree breeds to see what terrible inflictions we are already imposing on dogs.... and according to every Kennel Club in the world, that is fine....
Sorry, I have ruined what is meant to be a bit of fun so please carry on, just that I can't help it ......
To try and make amends, how about a Saluki crossed with a Corgi, Basset Hound or Doxxie?

teena
11-01-2000, 08:07 AM
The strangest I have seen was a rottie/basset mix. So ugly he was cute!

Rottie
11-01-2000, 09:42 AM
I've heard people claim they've seen Dachsunds mixed with Great Danes

Smilla
11-01-2000, 05:31 PM
The strangest mix I've seen on Dog of the Day has been a Corgi/Chihuahua mix. Maybe I just took special notice of that one because I'm always on the lookout for Corgis.

Anyone else remember any odd mixes that were Dogs of the Day? I'd like to see pictures. (And Wendy, if you see this, I'd like to see pictures of your Beagle/Corgi mixes.)

Karen
11-01-2000, 08:06 PM
We have had many mixed breeds on Dog of the Day, but the one that stands out in my mind as an unlikely combination was the Shih Tzu/ Golden Retriever mix, Maxwell - see http://DogoftheDay.com/archive/2000/March/09.html . Some people thought he was so cute, they wrote us asking where they could get one just like him! A lot of mixed breeds, of course, come from shelters and have that mysterious past, so we guess! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Doxiedoxie
11-02-2000, 10:21 AM
Maxwell is too cute!! That is one of the cutest dogs I've ever seen!

I saw a beagle/GSD mix, it was a beautiful brindle dog, and you would never guess what its mix was by looking. Have seen a Corgi/Golden retriever mix, also very adorable!

How about a pug mixed with a poodle or a pug/dachshund? Wonder what sort of face it'd have?

Rottie
11-02-2000, 10:31 AM
What about a bulldog with a collie? What a weird head that one would have. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

karen israel
11-02-2000, 12:30 PM
I didn't remember Maxwell so immediately logged on and was taken aback by that adorable bundle of fur! Not enough adoring adjectives to describe that face. I would hope the dachsund of the dachsund/Great Dane mix would be the male....you get my drift. Would it be a Great Dachsund? A Dachsdane? A Danedachs? ..Oh well...

Sudilar
11-02-2000, 02:49 PM
What about a GSD/Malamute/Pyrenees?

Roofus
11-07-2000, 01:36 PM
I once saw a picture of a Lab/German Shepard mix in some dog book I was reading. Poor thing looked like he was in costume, his body was that of a German Shepard sporting a black Lab head.

ownerof3dogs
11-07-2000, 01:39 PM
I saw a Picture of a saint Bernhard/Basset hound Mix it looked like a Saint Bernhard with short legs and a long body

Aussies 'R' Us
11-08-2000, 03:38 PM
I once saw a english bulldog mixed with a golden retriever. It looked like your basic GR but it was a bit more buff and was a little shorter. One thing that really popped out at me was it had an underbite. Its bottom teeth came up over the top jaw. I saw pics of the parents two very beautiful dogs. If I could mix anything I would mix the Dogue de Bordeaux (Turner and Hooch)/Beagle/Pit bull/Jack Russell Terrier/Greyhound. Wouldn't that be interesting!

shais_mom
11-11-2000, 04:27 PM
A girl I work with has a cocker/pug. He has the body of a cocker and the face of a pug!! Another just got a dalmation/black lab(her husband calls it a labradation or the dalmador!) He looks just like a black lab excpet his little belly is whit with black spots!!!
I saw in the humane society listing they had a GSD/chihauhua mix. I didn't see what that looked like!!!
WHERE there is a will there is a WAY!!

[This message has been edited by shais_mom (edited November 12, 2000).]

carrie
11-11-2000, 04:44 PM
A friend of mine has a black lab/dalmation and he is truly one of the most intelligent, biddable and all round great dogs I have ever met. He has a great trainer in my friend which is just as well as he wouldn't take inactivity, physical or mental, well at all!

shais_mom
11-12-2000, 06:45 PM
OK-- I was just cruising a Corgi rescue site and almost every dog they had was a Corgi mix with something. One of their success stories was a Corgi and a Greyhound!!!!! Body of a corgi and the brindle of a greyhound!!!

ktreva52
11-12-2000, 08:42 PM
Well, I've seen some really cute mixes, but there's a purebred that beats most of them, it is the Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen. It looks like a mix between a Basset Hound and an Irish Wolfhound. They're really cute. I have had an Australian Cattle Dog mix that my eldest and I have debated about for some time. She says the other part was Dalmation, I say German Short-haired Pointer, but the girl we got her from said Cattle Dog/Beagle. She was very striking looking and led us to get into the Cattle Dog breed. We also have a Jack Russell Terrier Mix and I say the other part is Pug due to the girth size of her barrel. I love mixed breeds.

Genia
11-19-2000, 08:38 AM
My parents found a beagle mixed pup in the middle of a hi-way during a snow storm. My mother was 7 months pregnant with me. They rescued the dog and named him Lucky. Lucky was with us for almost 16 years and that was the best pet we had. He was extremely devoted to my family. Once my father (who is hard of hearing) went for a walk in the woods with Lucky. Lucky started barking but my father couldn't see what the dog was barking at. He tried to continue down the path but Lucky grabbed his pant leg and began tugging. My father then knew something was wrong and looked around more closely. There in the path ahead was a huge rattlesnake! My father didn't hear the warning rattles and surely would have been bitten had he continued. I currently have a Basset/Lab mix. Solid black with a lab head and a Basset body. He's very active, loves the water, and is a great, but sometimes annoying, companion to my pug!

KYS
11-19-2000, 09:37 AM
Genia,

Lucky sounds like he was one very special dog.
It must have been fate on that hi-way that night that your mom came upon him.
It just amazes me what some dogs can do.

Kendall2
12-03-2000, 04:22 PM
Aren't dogs great...they will lay their lives down for you without even thinking about it. My vote is for our dog Tigger...he's a Husky/Pitbull mix.

mcushlik
12-08-2000, 03:40 AM
i have a bassett/collie heis 7monthes old he is one of the best looking dogs i have ever seen and is admired and petted wherever wego

12-08-2000, 05:57 PM
My neighbor has a chihuahua and dachsund mix! A chiweenie! He is actually very adorable!
Originally posted by teena:
The strangest I have seen was a rottie/basset mix. So ugly he was cute!

12-08-2000, 05:59 PM
Chihuahua and Dachsund! Chiweenie!

ownerof3dogs
12-08-2000, 06:27 PM
my neighbor has a chaweenie, he has along body with a chahuaua head. he is all black

ftvguy
02-21-2013, 02:43 PM
We have had many mixed breeds on Dog of the Day, but the one that stands out in my mind as an unlikely combination was the Shih Tzu/ Golden Retriever mix, Maxwell - see http://DogoftheDay.com/archive/2000/March/09.html . Some people thought he was so cute, they wrote us asking where they could get one just like him! A lot of mixed breeds, of course, come from shelters and have that mysterious past, so we guess! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

So I think my uncles female Golden Retriever and my male Shih Tzu had relations, do you happen to have more photos and videos of Maxwell playing? Pictures of him when hes a puppy and when he's fully grown?

IRescue452
02-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Mixed breed litters can have puppies who's looks range from 100% mom or 100% dad or any mix inbetween. That's why there is no predicting if designer breeds like the labradoodle will shed or not. You really could make a chart of the likelihood of the looks of a mix based on the genetics of the parents and which traits are dominant or recessive.

I think most dalmatian mixes have a lot of black. The spots turn into patches a lot rather than the nicely pronounced purebred spots.

As for beagle/spaniel mixes, they are very popular and still don't come out consistant in size, shape, color, or coat.

FurBabiesFTW
06-28-2017, 12:14 PM
I have a Great Dane/German Shepherd mix. He's loveable, high energy and BIG. Currently 11 months at 110 pounds. I would not suggest breeding these two breeds. I have no doubt he'll have issues with bloat and he's a very active dog. I'm sure he'll have joint issues in the future as well considering how big he is at just 11 months.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Imc6q4rLKrvt-FjPYfI4tOEdtLxWXTHrnbgSd5pVcRNvUo3wtxkcqol9wb-GdeEA-ka6eshImsGBAiNiQ86L8xycZAwZ6dcP9-h9ZU9DhDl08glDxAyS5IHr85JTyPNHKAtuyLjKoh03RwOCsH6c bCYUtmME2Yn1NnPuYIfHRhIkahpy2lLP8gumibn3D--YXf1Kj5x1amU6Yetfha5GUvp46MBgIIxYVqIyILqKxTO3UI8MF HO5EWAXti-yMYSNWnleqhLHZeQE6wdMr1NXH8tmFpAHAaIBlWvYccjVjMalt hE1aEiLwdtzyFS_cOeCcBX-j5lXZ5_-EH2wx-luALdzkSFnNTdko2rYwD7IVTtzvr1QoVtZaTsqVKbpupHTfCNr zgjbBOf2GKHCT-YcfxO12Lk6jx-bLK1h9j_ZX0X0n4niTgU3x7pvF7-SmKs9VNM67FiDRONMy1lbFm0ycQra2KNG6n10nLXJTf2yMvVwW I23ubsxsUo_ONXOic5ZmmySttbvay6MNdLgC2GAjCPBfVmQi7K lHfi-bGaH2f99r7Ed_fv9Ph1FSDQSTP6AGv1Rl28nVObtqUfuJ1oxt8 _ZA1mMB3m2mMxAq6VsRt8ZNfvpRkPJbckGCaGskpAhNvzq5ml4 KJGeQ_fSnf_TIotDtsfdnrAJ7uHlIxZ_=s597-no

Karen
06-28-2017, 06:25 PM
I have a Great Dane/German Shepherd mix. He's loveable, high energy and BIG. Currently 11 months at 110 pounds. I would not suggest breeding these two breeds. I have no doubt he'll have issues with bloat and he's a very active dog. I'm sure he'll have joint issues in the future as well considering how big he is at just 11 months.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Imc6q4rLKrvt-FjPYfI4tOEdtLxWXTHrnbgSd5pVcRNvUo3wtxkcqol9wb-GdeEA-ka6eshImsGBAiNiQ86L8xycZAwZ6dcP9-h9ZU9DhDl08glDxAyS5IHr85JTyPNHKAtuyLjKoh03RwOCsH6c bCYUtmME2Yn1NnPuYIfHRhIkahpy2lLP8gumibn3D--YXf1Kj5x1amU6Yetfha5GUvp46MBgIIxYVqIyILqKxTO3UI8MF HO5EWAXti-yMYSNWnleqhLHZeQE6wdMr1NXH8tmFpAHAaIBlWvYccjVjMalt hE1aEiLwdtzyFS_cOeCcBX-j5lXZ5_-EH2wx-luALdzkSFnNTdko2rYwD7IVTtzvr1QoVtZaTsqVKbpupHTfCNr zgjbBOf2GKHCT-YcfxO12Lk6jx-bLK1h9j_ZX0X0n4niTgU3x7pvF7-SmKs9VNM67FiDRONMy1lbFm0ycQra2KNG6n10nLXJTf2yMvVwW I23ubsxsUo_ONXOic5ZmmySttbvay6MNdLgC2GAjCPBfVmQi7K lHfi-bGaH2f99r7Ed_fv9Ph1FSDQSTP6AGv1Rl28nVObtqUfuJ1oxt8 _ZA1mMB3m2mMxAq6VsRt8ZNfvpRkPJbckGCaGskpAhNvzq5ml4 KJGeQ_fSnf_TIotDtsfdnrAJ7uHlIxZ_=s597-no

Aww, what a handsome boy! You know how to avoid bloat, right? As much as it can be ....

And hopefully he will avoid hip troubles as well. We had a Great Dane (3/4) Lab (1/4) mix who was Dane height and build but with a Lab-like face, and fur like velvet - not like either breed. She never had hip troubles until extreme old age - and lived to be 14 1/2!