PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Swayze in hosp with pneumonia

Catty1
01-10-2009, 02:47 PM
He checked himself into hospital...the chemo gives the immune system a real beating. Prayers that this is just a bump in the road.

Dirty Dancing with Barbara Walters? :D
http://popwatch.ew.com/photos/uncategorized/2009/01/08/swayzewalters_l.jpg

Pic from early January 2009 with Barbara Walters:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090109/entertainment/film_patrick_swayze_3

Patrick Swayze checks into hospital with pneumonia; actor battling cancer

Fri Jan 9, 6:46 PM
By Derrik J. Lang, The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - Patrick Swayze has checked himself into the hospital for observation after contracting pneumonia, A&E President Abbe Raven announced Friday at a meeting of the Television Critics Association.

Swayze was scheduled to appear to discuss his upcoming drama "The Beast." Robert DeBitetto, A&E's programming senior vice president, explained his absence.

"Patrick has asked that I tell you that this morning he checked himself into the hospital for observation," said DeBitetto. "Chemotherapy can take its toll on the immune system, and illnesses are a part of that. Patrick wishes me to tell you that he's very sorry he cannot attend, but plans to get back to promoting 'The Beast' soon."

Swayze's spokeswoman, Annett Wolf, confirmed that Swayze was in the hospital but would not provide additional details.

"In light of the news today, it's a bump in the road," said Vincent Angell, one of the show's co-executive producers. "We wish him all the best."

In the series, which premieres Jan. 15, Swayze plays an FBI veteran who trains a rookie partner played by Travis Fimmel. Producers said they found out Swayze had cancer four hours after learning A&E had picked up the series. They also said filming was completed on all episodes of the first season and hope Swayze could continue in the role for a second season.

"He's an inspiration," said Fimmel. "He makes the little things seem so not important."

Earlier this week, Swayze told ABC's Barbara Walters that his yearlong battle with pancreatic cancer put him "through hell" while he pushed ahead on his new TV series.

The 56-year-old actor also owned up to his fear: "Yeah, I'm scared. Yeah, I'm angry. Yeah, I'm (asking), 'Why me?"'

caseysmom
01-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Did anyone see him on Barbara Walters? It was great he is an inspiration to anyone fighting cancer.

Daisy and Delilah
01-10-2009, 04:10 PM
I saw the Barbara Walters interview. I was taken aback at how courageous he is. What an inspiration. That interview brought me to my knees. I'm so glad I watched it.

I am heartbroken to hear he has pneumonia. I think it will feel like one of my family members has passed after seeing him on that show. My thoughts and prayers are going out to him and his beautiful wife. Get Well Patrick!!!:( :( :(

Pawsitive Thinking
01-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Will be thinking of this brave man

cassiesmom
01-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Oh, man. I saw him on the news when "Dirty Dancing" was getting ready to open in Chicago and he didn't look well. He looks very thin in this picture. That is sad.

kuhio98
01-10-2009, 06:19 PM
I didn't see the interview, but I saw an excerpt where he discussed refusing to give up smoking. :(

If I was his family, I would be so angry every time I saw him smoking. I don't know how I would deal with him choosing his addiction over living longer. :(

caseysmom
01-10-2009, 08:44 PM
I didn't see the interview, but I saw an excerpt where he discussed refusing to give up smoking. :(

If I was his family, I would be so angry every time I saw him smoking. I don't know how I would deal with him choosing his addiction over living longer. :(

I thinks its too late for it to make a difference, thats what he thought also. I guess he can have one last pleasure I think he doesn't have a lot of time left either way.

blue
01-10-2009, 08:57 PM

I saw that too, except I thought Right On.

pomtzu
01-11-2009, 09:06 AM
I thinks its too late for it to make a difference, thats what he thought also. I guess he can have one last pleasure I think he doesn't have a lot of time left either way.

Agreed, and I think I would do the same in his position. His long term outlook is very bleak, and if smoking gives him pleasure, then he's entitled. The stress on him of trying to quit would be enormous, so let him enjoy the time he has left, doing as he chooses.

Medusa
01-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Agreed, and I think I would do the same in his position. His long term outlook is very bleak, and if smoking gives him pleasure, then he's entitled. The stress on him of trying to quit would be enormous, so let him enjoy the time he has left, doing as he chooses.

Actually, I read that this is what his drs. had to say as well.

I've been following his story because a good friend of mine was diagnosed w/pancreatic cancer at approximately the same time as Swayze was and the drs. say that he's defying all odds. They gave him 3 weeks to 3 months to live and that was in Sept. of '07. During that time he's done a lot of traveling although he's staying indoors a lot now but he's still doing remarkably well. I hope Swayze gets over this quickly and can resume a somewhat normal life.

Catty1
01-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Here's a link to a lot of quotes by him, many from his interview with Barbara Walters:

http://news.google.ca/news?hl=en&tab=wn&ned=ca&ie=UTF-8&qsid=f0EMGuzVYs39QM

pomtzu
01-11-2009, 10:06 AM
but he's still doing remarkably well. I hope Swayze gets over this quickly and can resume a somewhat normal life.

I really hope that Patrick can do as well also. Cancer, in any form, is such a horrible thing to endure. I have had a couple of bouts of pancreatitis and I know how excruciatingly painful it is, so I can't even imagine having to endure this type of cancer. He must be a very strong person indeed.

kuhio98
01-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Looks like I'm in the minority. After watching my father die an early death partly due to smoking -- and watching my sister continue to smoke after being diagnosed with emphysema -- I have become very intollerant.

I once read that doctors estimated each cigarette shortens your life by 7 minutes. Each time I see my sister light up, it feels like a knife in my heart.

Patrick Swayze is a very brave and strong person to fight this disease. I just wish he would incorporate non-smoking into his treatment. Those last 7, 14, 21.... minutes of life, could be very important. I know it will be for those who love him.

Daisy and Delilah
01-11-2009, 01:06 PM
I have to agree with you, Lisa. If I'm not mistaken, I thought he mentioned something about the smoking being totally destructive with his cancer. I was really surprised when he said he was still smoking. At the same time, he's doing such a meticulous job at being healthy in his effort to conquer the disease. He seems to be doing everything to keep on living so why not drop the cigarettes?:(

Medusa
01-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Looks like I'm in the minority. After watching my father die an early death partly due to smoking -- and watching my sister continue to smoke after being diagnosed with emphysema -- I have become very intollerant.

I once read that doctors estimated each cigarette shortens your life by 7 minutes. Each time I see my sister light up, it feels like a knife in my heart.

Patrick Swayze is a very brave and strong person to fight this disease. I just wish he would incorporate non-smoking into his treatment. Those last 7, 14, 21.... minutes of life, could be very important. I know it will be for those who love him.

I agree w/you in theory but knowing the smokers in my life, both past and present, they would argue otherwise. I've never been able to get the point across to any of them that, aside from second hand smoke, their smoking affects us, too. Also, anyone who has ever taken care of someone w/emphysema such as my sister did for her husband for 30 years, the unfairness of it all is maddening. My BIL felt that he had the "right" to smoke but he never considered my sister's decreased quality of life while she took care of him all those years. Another sister smoked all her life and when she developed an aortic aneurysm and had 26 surgeries w/in a 2 1/2 month period, she never considered the pain that she was causing her kids and the rest of her family. When she died at the young age of 56, not one of us thought "Well, I'm glad she got to exercise her "right" to smoke." We all felt cheated of our sister/mother/friend. We fight for our addictions be they cigarettes, drugs, food, shopping, relationships, whatever. We justify them for our own selfish reasons, and so when someone has already been handed a death sentence, to insist that he stop smoking and thereby add to his stress and to the stress of those closest to him, seems pointless to me. :)

carole
01-11-2009, 04:52 PM
He is a great guy, and i wish him all the best in his battle ahead, poor guy,he does not deserve this, one can only hope he wins his battle, well wishes for you patrick,fight hard dear man, in our thoughts.

Pinot's Mom
01-15-2009, 01:10 PM
:( Just heard on today's news - Patrick is still in the hospital; the cancer has spread to his lungs and he has a less than 10% chance of beating this.
I'm not getting involved in the smoking/not smoking controversy - I'm an ex-smoker (over 15 years ago) and I hate it, I'll just leave it at that.
I'm sorry for Patrick; he has always seemed to be a good man and he's done some wonderful films. I did see some of the Barbara Walters interview; he and his wife seem very much in love and I'm sure this is killing her as well. :(

pomtzu
01-15-2009, 01:44 PM
:( Just heard on today's news - Patrick is still in the hospital; the cancer has spread to his lungs and he has a less than 10% chance of beating this.
(

How tragic, altho not at all unexpected I would think.
I hope that the doctors will be able to make him as comfortable as possible. My prayers, along with many others, go out to him and his family.

Medusa
01-15-2009, 01:52 PM
It's all so sad and the smoking issue has become a non-issue at this point. I do hope that he can stay as comfortable as possible w/the time that he has left. My prayers are still continuing for him and his loved ones.

caseysmom
01-15-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm not getting involved in the smoking/not smoking controversy - I'm an ex-smoker (over 15 years ago) and I hate it, I'll just leave it at that.
I'm sorry for Patrick; he has always seemed to be a good man and he's done some wonderful films. I did see some of the Barbara Walters interview; he and his wife seem very much in love and I'm sure this is killing her as well. :(

I can't find any news links saying the cancer has spread to his lungs, do you have a link?

Catty1
01-15-2009, 06:00 PM
From January 14 (today)

The Houston born actor, who has battled stage 4 pancreatic cancer for a year, says his recent bout with pneumonia is improving.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=8252522&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

However, his Mom died of lung cancer. Maybe the newscaster got things a bit mixed.

Nomilynn
01-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Today is actually the 15th ;)

I found this but it states it's from the National Enquirer, so I don't know how accurate it is.

http://current.com/items/89718368/patrick_swayze_may_have_lung_cancer.htm

Daisy and Delilah
01-15-2009, 08:55 PM
My thoughts and prayers still go out to him and his wife.:(

Catty1
01-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Here's the Enquirer story (emphasis mine):

‘Dirty Dancing’ star Patrick Swayze is in worse health than was feared as the pancreatic cancer he suffers from may have spread to his lungs.

The Hollywood actor (56) was admitted to hospital with pneumonia last week. US magazine the ‘National Enquirer’ reported that Swayze, who is apparently having difficulty breathing, may now have lung cancer.

One of his doctors told the magazine: “Patrick has never looked so bad.

"I have seen him many, many times, but he is now more ill than ever. He is in real pain.”

They only quoted the Enquirer, not a doc, as saying he may have lung cancer. And he has been in major pain since the treatments started - and refusing painkillers while he worked on the show "The Beast". LOTS of pain there, but no problems with him on the show.

Catty1
01-17-2009, 11:18 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/mediaNews/idUSN1626463420090117

Actor Patrick Swayze released from hospital
Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:26pm EST

LOS ANGELES, Jan 16 (Reuters) - Actor Patrick Swayze, the "Dirty Dancing" star who is battling pancreatic cancer, has been released from a weeklong stay at a hospital where he was treated for pneumonia, People magazine reported on Friday.

Swayze, 56, was hospitalized in Los Angeles on Jan. 9, hours before he was scheduled to appear at a gathering of television critics to promote his new TV crime drama, "The Beast," which premiered on the A&E cable network on Thursday.

The actor stars as a rogue FBI undercover agent.

"I am happy to announce that Patrick Swayze is home after a brief hospitalization for pneumonia," his spokeswoman, Annett Wolf, told People in a report published on the magazine's website.

The report added he was resting with his wife, Lisa, 52. There were no further details. His representative could not immediately be reached for comment.

Swayze, diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last year, told Barbara Walters of ABC News in a TV interview broadcast on Jan. 7 that he was "going through hell" and might have only two years to live. But he denied reports he was near death.

The American Cancer Society says the five-year survival rate for pancreatic cancer patients is about 5 percent. The majority of patients die within six months.

Swayze is known around the world for his role as the dance instructor in 1987's coming-of-age movie "Dirty Dancing," which inspired hit stage shows in London, Australia and Canada.

Among his other movie credits was the popular 1990 supernatural romance "Ghost," co-starring Demi Moore.

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b79571_patrick_swayze_bounces_back_beats.html

Patrick Swayze Bounces Back, Beats Pneumonia
(My note - I didn't read anyone saying that he had beat pneumonia...just the writer of this article. But I hope Patrick is better.)

Today 7:29 AM PST by Jefferson Reid

http://images.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/20090109/300.swayze.patrick.010909.jpg
Patrick Swayze Michael Caulfield/Stand Up To Cancer via Getty Images

Rebounding from a brief, beastly illness, Patrick Swayze is on the mend and ready to get back to work promoting his new series, The Beast, which debuted this week on A&E.

Swayze's rep, Annett Wolf, announced the star's improved condition to People Friday night, releasing this statement: "I am happy to announce that Patrick Swayze is home after a brief hospitalization for pneumonia."

The actor, who is battling pancreatic cancer, checked himself into the hospital last week with a persistent cough later diagnosed as pneumonia.

Swayze responded well to treatment, and remained staunchly positive, telling the magazine earlier this week, "I am alive and plan on continuing to stay that way."