PDA

View Full Version : Book people

Karen
01-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Just kinda thought I'd let you all in on this - I have a blog where I review books I have recently read. So if you are interested, it is at http://KarenWatts.com/blog - the books are basically whatever I have pulled out of the box lately, but I will be adding in pet-related books as I read them, too.

As Paul convinced me, what good is all that knowledge if you don't share it?

jennielynn1970
01-10-2009, 01:44 AM
I think I'll have to hunt these all down. They sound like really interesting reads. Not fluff like I end up having to read for YA books in middle schoool.

Thanks for this karen, I'll get them on Amazon and let you know what I think of them.

Killearn Kitties
01-10-2009, 05:05 AM
I noticed that you posted the link to your blog in another thread and I had a look at the time. I meant to ask you about it, but forgot with all the disruption of the Christmas holidays. Generally I read more non-fiction, and I have a big queue waiting to be read, but I thought one of the books you reviewed sounded interesting. I will go back and have a look.

ChrisH
01-10-2009, 06:27 AM
Thanks Karen! I will certainly be on the look out for a lot of the books you have reviewed on there.

sirrahbed
01-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Loved the reviews and now have a few more *must read* books:D I really like reading something that someone else really thinks is worth reading and your reviews are interesting.

Karen
01-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks folks - several of them were given to family members at Christmas, or to my bank teller who is a reader, but you can always PM me and let me know if you're interested, and I'll see if I still have the book and can send it to you.

Keeps the house from filling up! ;)

(I bring boxes of books to family gatherings, the kids half expect it now. I also do give some books as presents ... most of the clan are also voracious readers.)

Prairie Purrs
01-10-2009, 12:21 PM
Amazon owes you a commission--I just downloaded "The Toss of a Lemon" to the Kindle reader I got for Christmas. :D

jennielynn1970
01-10-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm still debating the whole "KINDLE" thing. I still LOVE the the feel of paper in my hands, but the Kindle thing is just one of those "oooh! I want one of them!!!" articles, lol.

I have read a bunch of the books on there that were for YAs, and some adult too. But have a list that I want to order from Amazon when I have more $$.

Barbara
01-10-2009, 02:02 PM
I will look into it - I know we share a passion for fantasy/SF.
Right now however I am reading Kipling's jungle books again- I like reading my favorite books again and again ;)

Prairie Purrs
01-10-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm still debating the whole "KINDLE" thing. I still LOVE the the feel of paper in my hands, but the Kindle thing is just one of those "oooh! I want one of them!!!" articles, lol.

The Kindle is a very cool toy, especially if you like to have a book (or a whole darned library) with you wherever you go. For nonfiction books such as biography and history (which are more likely to have illustrations that don't show up in the Kindle versions), I'll continue to buy the "hard copy" book. But for fiction, I'm really liking the Kindle.

I hope I'm not derailing the thread too much! I've always been a reader, and the convergence of writing and technology is amazing to me. And Karen's book blog is an example--people all over the world can get together to discuss books. It's so cool!

Karen
01-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Oh, I hope you enjoy "The Toss of a Lemon" book, let me know what you think of it! :)

I do enjoy books of many sorts - I am pretty omnivorous, and make myself finish almost every book I start. And by having a blog, I can save others if I find a terrible book - they need not even pick it up!

Though my dear, dear friend Phillip Kalber, now deceased, would pass along Science Fiction magazines to me after he had read them, and he graded the stories. He was disappointed to learn I even read the ones he gave poor grades to - I told him "But Phillip, I needed to know why they got such bad grades!" :)

Karen
01-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Prairie Purrs - today I gave my copy of The Toss of a Lemon to the manager at my bank. I regularly bring books to one of the tellers, and Rupa, the manager, often teases me about making her cold be having bare legs in January - even if it's just a few inches of skin, she thinks I am crazy! :) She grew up in India, and is looking forward to reading the book - I'll let you know what she thinks of it, as she promises to report back in! "Remember," she told me, "English is not exactly my first language, so I'm not as fast a reader as some of you. My brain does numbers - that's why I have this career! But I will definitely let you know if I like it!"

Prairie Purrs
01-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Karen, I look forward to hearing Rupa's thoughts about the book given her familiarity with India. I haven't started it yet (darned job is cutting into my reading time!), but I hope to jump in this week. We've got some icy cold days in the forecast--perfect for wrapping up in a big fleece robe with a pot of tea and a book.

ChrisH
01-14-2009, 05:50 AM
'The Book of Joby' just arrived from Amazon, I am so looking forward to reading it. Got to finish my library book first though, (One of Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicles, Blackwood Farm) I can't read two fiction books at the same time, tend to get the stories muddled up. :D

cyber-sibes
01-14-2009, 07:25 AM
Kudos to you, Karen! I think its wonderful that you are blogging your reviews. While not one myself, I live with a voracious reader, & it's great to be an adult and still be read to at bedtime, lol! I think JoJoe & I would both enjoy River of Doubt, it sounds fascinating. Think I'll give our library a call & see if I can get a copy. Thanks for taking time to share your insights.

Karen
01-14-2009, 01:50 PM
Hey, no problem! If your library doesn't have it, tell them they should! :) Or I could send you my copy - I had an extra besides the one I gave to Lady's Human.

Its funny, as some books I read, and even after a couple years can go on and on about them, others are more like "fast food" - fun but they don't stick with you!

cyber-sibes
01-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks Karen! I'm sending you a pm. :)

Karen
01-17-2009, 10:31 PM
I'll be sending that book out Monday, Cyber-sibes! Just didn't get to the post office while it was open today, and of course it is closed tomorrow.

Karen
02-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Karen, I look forward to hearing Rupa's thoughts about the book given her familiarity with India. I haven't started it yet (darned job is cutting into my reading time!), but I hope to jump in this week. We've got some icy cold days in the forecast--perfect for wrapping up in a big fleece robe with a pot of tea and a book.

So, what did you think of it?

Rupa (my banker) said she thought was really interesting, that it gives you a real feel for the place, and that she was learning a lot that she never knew about her homeland.

Prairie Purrs
02-28-2009, 12:08 PM
So, what did you think of it?

Rupa (my banker) said she thought was really interesting, that it gives you a real feel for the place, and that she was learning a lot that she never knew about her homeland.

Haven't finished yet--recreational reading time has been hard to come by lately--but I like it quite a lot so far.

Daisy and Delilah
02-28-2009, 03:01 PM
Thanks, Karen. That is one gorgeous and well organized blog. Great job!:)

Karen
03-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Some new books up, I gave some away to my nieces and sister (traded the new Neil Gaiman one to my niece for the signed copy of Coraline I gave her by accident) at a recent family party, but do let me know if any of them interest any of you! Any bird watchers would probably love this one ... (http://karenwatts.com/blog/2009/01/22/lovely-little-book/)

Prairie Purrs
03-12-2009, 06:41 PM
"A Guide to the Birds of East Africa" sounds delightful. Another for the reading list.

I finally finished "The Toss of a Lemon" a couple days ago. I'm a sucker for big multigenerational epics, so it was my kind of book. And it gives some insight into India's enormously complicated religious and cultural traditions.

Karen
03-13-2009, 03:10 PM
"A Guide to the Birds of East Africa" sounds delightful. Another for the reading list.

I finally finished "The Toss of a Lemon" a couple days ago. I'm a sucker for big multigenerational epics, so it was my kind of book. And it gives some insight into India's enormously complicated religious and cultural traditions.

Oh, I am so glad you liked it! And the "Birds of East Africa" is teensy in comparison! :)

sirrahbed
04-29-2010, 03:55 PM
I loaded Toss of a Lemon onto my Kindle and am currently reading it - am enjoying it VERY much!! I am really getting to know the characters and am learning quite a bit about this Brahmin culture I am unfamiliar with!!

Karen
04-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Oh, so glad you are enjoying it! :)

Karen
02-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Remembered this thread, and I will post in here with new book reviews, rather than in Dog General, Cat general etc.! The most recent one is for The Culinary Canine - a recipe book by famous chefs who cook for their dogs! See here! (http://karenwatts.com/blog/2012/02/one-of-a-kind-pretty-and-delicious/)

cassiesmom
02-06-2012, 07:03 PM
I read about "Sammy in the Sky" in the newspaper. I don't think I want to read it because I think it will have the same effect on me as Robert Munsch's "Love You Forever" :( But how neat that it's illustrated by Jamie Wyeth!

Karen
02-06-2012, 08:48 PM
I read about "Sammy in the Sky" in the newspaper. I don't think I want to read it because I think it will have the same effect on me as Robert Munsch's "Love You Forever" :( But how neat that it's illustrated by Jamie Wyeth!

It's got a pretty nice upbeat ending, give it a browse sometime if you're in the children's section!

cassiesmom
05-08-2012, 10:25 PM
I started commuting by train to a job in downtown Chicago again a few weeks ago. I expected to see lots of e-readers and very few books -- but it's been about 50-50. I was pleasantly surprised!

I'm reading "Predator", my first Dr. Kay Scarpetta book by Patricia Cornwell, on the train. Reading makes the trip go faster :)

caseysmom
05-09-2012, 02:36 AM
I started commuting by train to a job in downtown Chicago again a few weeks ago. I expected to see lots of e-readers and very few books -- but it's been about 50-50. I was pleasantly surprised!

I'm reading "Predator", my first Dr. Kay Scarpetta book by Patricia Cornwell, on the train. Reading makes the trip go faster :)

She is my favorite, is Predator the new one?

moosmom
05-09-2012, 06:56 AM
There's a book I've been dying to read. Unfortunately, the only library that has it is the East Lyme Public Library.

"Milo's Journey" by my fried, Rene Knapp, is about her cat Milo, who I had the great pleasure of meeting and hanging with. He was a beautiful soul who touched many lives, including mine.

Randi
05-10-2012, 10:51 AM
I bought some second hand books last year, but don't know any of the authors. I've read some of them. Some was good, some not so good. The below are what I have left and I'm asking whether you know any of these?

I want to start a new one this evening - can you recommend any of them?

Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen
Joanna Trollope writing as Caroline Harvey - The Tavernes Place
Carloz Ruiz Zafron - The Shadow of the Wind
The Burning - Sue Walker
The Shipping News - Annie Proulx
The Queen and I - Sue Townshend
Brick Lane - Monica Ali

Karen
05-10-2012, 01:31 PM
The Shipping News is a good one, peculiar characters and sparse landscape, and it definitely gives you a sense of the place and culture where it is set.

Randi
05-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Thanks Karen, I'll try that. :) It's quite a "funny" collection of books I have.

moosmom
05-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Hey Randi,

I have SOOOOO many cat books. All my friends and family are always giving me cat books!!

Randi
05-10-2012, 02:59 PM
I have SOOOOO many cat books.
Lucky you! :) The one Karen suggested recently, by Dena Harris, sounds good; I'd love to read that.

pomtzu
05-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Thunder Dog by Michael Hingson was a pretty decent read. It's the true story of him (blind from birth) and his seeing eye dog who escaped from the 78th floor of one of the Twin Towers on 9/11. I would really liked to have it been more about the dog, but this guy came across to me as too pompous and he liked to brag too much of his accomplishments. Still - it was an amazing account of how they escaped, and worth the read.

Barbara
05-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Shipping News was fantastic-I read it years ago. saw the movie as well which was very good, but the book (as usual) was better ..

And Randi: did you hear about the Swedish book by Jonas Jonasson: The centenarian who jumped out the window and disppeared? It is the funniest read I had for a long time. Anarchist, subversive and funny! John would have loved it.

Randi
05-11-2012, 08:04 AM
Thanks Barbara, I searched in the library database, but didn't find the one you mention. However, there's one by the same author. It is a humorous story about Allan Karlsson of sound mind, who flees at his 100th birthday from his retirement home in the Swedish province where adventure, strange beings, criminal types, and dramatic events await. That's probably quite funny.

I'll check out Thunder Dog, too. Thanks.

cassiesmom
05-11-2012, 09:32 AM
She is my favorite, is Predator the new one?

This one is from 2005. The newest one is called "Red Mist".

I also found out that she has made contributions to Harvard for psychiatric medicine research. That's partly where "Predator" is set and she thanks some of the division heads in her acknowledgements.