PDA

View Full Version : Cash

king2005
01-09-2009, 09:52 AM
I adopted Cash last monday. He is about 8~9yrs old but the lady really didn't know. His origional owner (the ladies mother in law) was put into a home due to many issues (mostly mental illness). SO Cash and his brother were scooped up by her, but it was too late for Cash's brother. He didn't make it :( The lady is unable to keep him as her dog wants to have Cash as a snack :rolleyes:

Cash is fixed and declawed. He is strictly an indoor cat and playful. He is also super SWEET!! He loves to be patted and loves to sleep beside me. I think he use to be on a sleeping schedual as he ALWAYS wants to sleep at 10pm & gets annoyed if you make too much noise :p Then he'll stare at me starting as early as 5pm & meow in my face once if I roll over & face him.. silly bugger! :D

Cash's best feature is that he COMES when called!!! The internet guy was over on tue and I couldn't find Cash so I called him & he came out of hiding & right up to me. THe guy was impressed & asked how long it took me to train him. I said I haven't even had the cat for 24hrs LOL

Cash & Digi get a long great so far. I have no pictures of them together yet as my computer is packed up (moving).

The first introduction was far too funny! And the 2ed (this am) was fine. Cash didn't get off his couch and Digi ran around the new apt checking everything out. I'll be going there at lunch time to let her out of her kennel to meet Cash again. Cash has been at the new place all week & Digi was at the old. The old place is NOT cat friendly so thats why I kept Cash at the new place.

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/l/kj/09/1/2/129/r3/7595eke_20.jpeg

lvpets2002
01-09-2009, 11:11 AM
:love: Welcome to PT Cash.. Your such a wittle Sweetie Cutie Pie.. Just love those white tiped toes.. Here is some belly rubbss..

Husky_mom
01-09-2009, 01:34 PM
would you just look at that... he has a gorgeous face and look at his coat.. so silky smooth it looks... I love his coloring :D

Taz_Zoee
01-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Oh my, he is so handsome!! That is so great that you are giving this "older" kitty a home. He sounds like a wonderful little guy.
I look forward to seeing pix of Cash and Digi together. :D

Welcome to PT Cash!! :)

king2005
01-09-2009, 02:24 PM
would you just look at that... he has a gorgeous face and look at his coat.. so silky smooth it looks... I love his coloring :D

His back is shaved as his fur was all matted and gross, so the lady and her husband throught it would just be much better to shave it all off and let it regrow. His fur is very nice to pet & if you stop petting him, he'll give you a VERY gentle bite to encourage you to pet him some more hehehe :D

I'm not a fan of kittens as I like to know their personalities before taking them home (I'm not a cat person so it has to be a perfect match or it wont work) and would scare Digi to death. So an older kitty with a little jazz is best for us :)

I bought him some new food today, so I hope he likes it. Its a major upgrade then the trash he was on before, but its still not the same grade as the food I feed Digi. The next bag or 2 will be even better stuff.

Question:
I've never owned a cat before. Digi eats Orijin 6 Fish & he has eaten some of it (a couple kibbles on the floor)... Will it harm him? Is it ok to let him eat her food? I know if it was a cheap dog food that would be a big fat NO. But this is Top of the line kibble so I'm hoping its safe for him to eat it some of it.

Digi has a habbit of spitting her kibbles all over the floor and playing with it before eating it.. I SWEAR that dog is part cat!:D:rolleyes::D

Husky_mom
01-09-2009, 03:07 PM
I donīt think cats shoudl eat dog food... thereīs this thing that cats canīt eat dog food but dogs can eat cat food... something ingredient-wise... but a kibble here and there should not be a concern IMO

Randy_K
01-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Dog food isn't deadly for a cat it's just that the protein level of dog food is too low to meet a cat's needs. A constant diet of dog food would harm the cat's health.

Cash looks like he's nearing 10 years old. The muzzle starts to spread on older cats and their nose starts to get more rounded between the leather and the fur-covered part - the cartilage tends to slowly collapse. Can't see a profile on that nose but after 10 it starts to become more significant

Cats, like some people, don't like change too much. Cash's sleep schedule was probably developed with his last owner over the years but he will adapt to you and your schedule.

He sounds like he just wants to be loved and feel safe.

king2005
01-09-2009, 03:39 PM
I wont feed it to him, I was just worried there was a kitty toxic ingredient in dog food.

Its just the Protein level thats the issue?
Weird, cause I swear Digi's was far higher then the ones listed on all the cat kibble bags I saw at PetSmart (I feel like crap picking up food in that store, but I'm low on $ from the move & didn't plan on getting Cash this soon).

Orijen has 44.0% Protein
Origen for cats has 42.0% Protein

catmandu
01-09-2009, 04:07 PM
I HAVE HEARD THAT CATS NEED TAURINE WHICH IS NOT IN DOG FOODS , AND THAT A CAT WHO EATS DOG FOOD CAN GO BLIND,:eek:
ACTUALLY I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED WHY CAT FOOD IS ALMOST TWICE AS EXPENSIVE AS DOG FOOD.:confused:
BLESS YOU FOR TAKING CASH:love: IN, IN A WORLD WHERE OLDER ANIMALS ARE NOT WANTED:eek:, AND ROUTINELY PTS.:(:(
CASH, WE KNOW WILL REPAY YOU A MILLION TIMES OVER FOR BEING HIS FRIEND!!!:love::love:

cassiesmom
01-09-2009, 04:21 PM
What a handsome kitty Cash is! I would love to pet him! King 2005, please give him a petting from me. The only thing I know about food is that cats and dogs metabolize protein differently but it sounds like you are getting it all figured out.

Randy_K
01-10-2009, 01:15 AM
Cat food versus dog food - per a veterinarian:

Cat and dog food are fairly different in many ways. Cats are obligate carnivores, meaning they have to eat meat so their diet should consist of mostly meat and a higher protein level. Dogs are omnivores and their diet should consist of higher fiber than for cats.

If a dog eats a lot of cat food, or exclusively cat food, they will be eating far too much protein which can lead to indigestion and eventually kidney or liver damage.

If a cat eats mostly dog food, they will not be getting the amino acid taurine (2-aminoethanesulfonic acid) - which comes from meat and is added in extra amounts to dry cat food. Taurine can be synthesized by dogs and humans from other amino acids, but cats cannot make this themselves and must get it from their diet. Dog foods do not have an adequate level of taurine so a cat on a dog food diet would gradually develop heart failure, blindness and muscle degradation.

In summary, a cat can snack on dog food without real harm as long as they mostly eat their own cat food. Some cats with sensitive stomachs will vomit because of the high fiber content. A dog should not snack on cat food because the high protein and fat levels will upset the digestion of most dogs, and also dogs ten to wolf down cat food rather than nibble a few kibbles (like the cats do with the dog food) so they take in higher amounts. It's best to place the cats' food up somewhere high where the cats can jump up to eat but the dogs can't get to it.

[It's not protein in general but specific types of protein!]

Medusa
01-10-2009, 07:26 AM
Cash looks so much like my Yodie. When his fur grows back completely, if it's anything like Yodie's, it'll be as soft as silk. He sure is a cutie pie. Thank you so much for taking in an older cat. So often they get pushed aside. I'm sure that you'll have many happy years together. :)

king2005
01-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Dog food isn't deadly for a cat it's just that the protein level of dog food is too low to meet a cat's needs. A constant diet of dog food would harm the cat's health.

Cash looks like he's nearing 10 years old. The muzzle starts to spread on older cats and their nose starts to get more rounded between the leather and the fur-covered part - the cartilage tends to slowly collapse. Can't see a profile on that nose but after 10 it starts to become more significant

Cats, like some people, don't like change too much. Cash's sleep schedule was probably developed with his last owner over the years but he will adapt to you and your schedule.

He sounds like he just wants to be loved and feel safe.

Thank you for the information! I already put Cash's dishes up high as Digi has allergies & I don't know what is in his old food. Digi's food is in her kennel and in a higher up dish, so I'll just try to discourage him..

gotta run, sorry for the short reply, but its moving time, WOOT!

king2005
01-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Hogging the bed
http://kingrattus.net/gallery/v/Pets/Cash/2009/Jan/IMG_4185.JPG.html

I like the kitty
http://kingrattus.net/gallery/v/Pets/Cash/2009/Jan/IMG_4187.JPG.html

The babies laying on the bed
http://kingrattus.net/gallery/v/Pets/Cash/2009/Jan/IMG_4189.JPG.html

Jordan saw him for the first time Fri & I couldn't peel him away from the cat. I think I've been replaced! :D :p

Taz_Zoee
01-13-2009, 09:17 AM
Aww, man! The links are not working for me. :( I want to see Cash! Show me the money!!! ;)

king2005
01-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Aww, man! The links are not working for me. :( I want to see Cash! Show me the money!!! ;)

All my sites are down.. my forums broke a couple weeks ago & then the whole server went down, so my host is trying to get me back online.

Since it'll be an older version, the pics prob aren't there anymore.. I will reupload them when I get home

lvpets2002
01-13-2009, 10:06 AM
:love: Aweee the new pics of Cash are Adorable..

Taz_Zoee
01-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Oh Oh!! It works now! :D
I just love big kitties and he looks like a big old wild cat in that first picture. :love: it!! :D
Shoot Digi is not much bigger than Cash. LOL

jennielynn1970
01-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Aawe.... he is so sweet looking!! I'm so happy that you took an older guy in and gave him a loving home!

Digi looks happy too! Yay!!! Two cuties!

Hugs and scritchies to all!