PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here know how to knit??? Help needed.

kt_luvs_kitties
01-09-2009, 02:45 AM
I have a little issue and I need some help.

Joey is having major ear issues, with it being so cold outside, his ears are getting terrible scabs and sores on them. His ears are see through practically, and these sores are taking up 40-50% of one ear, and about 25% of the other.

I have been using vaseline on them daily, and it is getting better.. BUT I need to keep him in a toboggon/ knit hat while on walks and bathroom breaks.

He has one I bought for PetSmart last year, but it is getting used daily. I dont know how to make them. My vet moved, so I cant have her make him any either (she LOVES to knit)...

It would have to be tiny, real tiny so it would fit.

I cant spend a fortune on them, but I would be able to pay a reasonable price for his ears to be healthy again.

I hope this post isnt stupid, but I feel so bad for the little fella. I have looked for them online, but they are 5-10 dollars each(without shipping). And seem to be too big.

If anyone can help, I would be very grateful, and Joey would too. OR if you know of someone who could, please let me know!

Thanks so much everyone! Katie and Pets:love:

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-09-2009, 04:29 AM
I can knit! Please post a picture of the hat you're using now. Do you have a pattern?

kt_luvs_kitties
01-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Lut, Oh I hope you can help. I dont have a pattern, but I could probably find one? I am sure I could do an online search, and if that did not work, I could go to the craft store and buy it.

I have a picture of him wearing one.. I will post it.

It would not need to be anything fancy, just something warm for his bald head/ears. It would need something around the rim to tie under his chin though, otherwise he would shake it off.

Let me know if you think you could make him one or a few. Here is the picture...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8da29b3127ccec3854abef86300000010O00AbM2LZi3bt2 IPbz4K/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/
Like I said, I know this one is fancy. If I would have known that I would have such a tiny dog when I found this one, I would have bought a few. But I did not have Joey when I bought it, I just had a kitten I thought it would look cute on:p

shepgirl
01-09-2009, 09:19 AM
I don't knit but that picture is just too cute for words. Good luck finding what he needs.

Barbara
01-09-2009, 09:48 AM
The pattern is more complicated than the hat he wears. The hat he wears would be a simple 4 needle tube in 2 right/2left and it looks as if it is pulled together with an elastic yarn. I don't have knitting needles anymore but if I know how to do it, then anybody should be able to do it ;)- I'm manually challenged all over.

BTW-you should at least control his cigarette intake if he doesn't manage to quit altogether ;)

kt_luvs_kitties
01-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Barbara, LOL! My hubby thought it would be funny:rolleyes::p It is cute though!

And thanks about the pattern. I have NO IDEA what all that stuff meant, but it is the only one I could find in a short time. I am not a handy person at all.

I know my grandmother was really good at knitting, I remember watching her for hours when I was young. I wish I would have listened to her when she would try to teach me to knit and crochet:(

Killearn Kitties
01-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Joey is exceptionally cute in his winter woolies. If you can count how many stitches his existing hat has, and measure around the rim and also the length from brim to elastic, I would be willing to have a go at it.

MBones
01-09-2009, 11:41 AM
KT,
If you can provide some of the dimensions i.e. how long, wide, etc., I could try and put one together for you as well. It should be fairly easy to make!

Mary

Taz_Zoee
01-09-2009, 12:23 PM
You know what that hat looks like? It looks like the sleeve of a sweater cut and stitched closed at the top. If you found a sweater with small enough sleeves, like a childs sweater, you could make it! Of course you'd need to add the tie for under his chin. But I'm sure the more talented people here will come up with better hats. :)
How big is his head? Can you measure around his head for us? Or even just measure the existing hat?

That picture is soo funny!!! LOL

ChrisH
01-09-2009, 12:38 PM
WARNING! There is a virus in the knitting pattern link kt_loves_kitties posted, don't click on it!

Karen
01-09-2009, 01:24 PM
I removed the click-ability in the link she posted, as ChrisH reported in contained a virus, and we don't want anyone taking chances. I am on a Mac, so didn't see it when I clicked the link initially, but different visruses target different operating systems.

Husky_mom
01-09-2009, 01:31 PM
I donīt knit knit.. but I sure can try.. hehe... I have made blankies and bundles but not hats... but sure an try...just let me know size so I can have a guide

Daisy and Delilah
01-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Awwwww.......bless you little fella!! Poor widdle baby. I'll send big kisses to help you.

Joey, please try to kick that habit. We want you around forever.;)
Just my 2 cents, Joey. If you really need to smoke, it's your business.;)

That picture could win prizes.:D

Freedom
01-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Good eye, Taz Zoee! I went back to look again and yup, looks like a sleeve!

Joey, I do hope you don't inhale! :eek:

RICHARD
01-09-2009, 08:45 PM
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8da29b3127ccec3854abef86300000010O00AbM2LZi3bt2 IPbz4K/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

LOLOLOL,

THAT'S a GANGSTA HAT....

YOYOYO,
WHERE ya FROM? I'll bust a TOOF in yo 'narly asre!

OR?

Snoot dog?:D

Totally whiskers!

kt_luvs_kitties
01-09-2009, 08:54 PM
First off, I am SO sorry about the virus in the link! I had NO idea, and my computer did not tell me it had one. Thanks ChrisH for the warning!:eek:

LOL, I will try and get Joey to stop. He just likes his "squares" and wants to show it off:rolleyes:

Richard, that is what I said! SNOOP DOG:D

Ok.. The measurements are :

Lengthwise 3 inches.
And from the elastic to rim 3 1/2 inches
The top piece is 1 1/2 inches ( but I dont think that is needed in measurements.
But the TOTAL from top to bottom is 4 1/2- 5 inches long.

Does this help???

And please whomever is going to make him one, PM me with prices and all so I can know what to expect:D

And I can not thank you all enough for helping Joeys ears:p He is going to be one happy pup:D

Karen
01-09-2009, 09:16 PM
What's the circumference of the bottom, and how about Joey's head? That'll help.

kt_luvs_kitties
01-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Circumference is 6 inches.

His head was 6 - 6 1/2 inches circumference.

Does this help?:)

Killearn Kitties
01-10-2009, 12:58 PM
OK, so I have knitted a 4 1/2 inch tube.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=63&pictureid=470

If you would like to PM me with your address I will send it to you. If it fits (although it looks more like an egg cosy than a dog's hat) I can do more. :D

Suki Wingy
01-10-2009, 05:05 PM
If you need more (like a few of them) I also knit quite a lot and would be happy to make one. :)

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-11-2009, 11:24 AM
OOPS, I forgat all about this thread...! First I couldn't find it anymore (I didn't bookmark it :o) and then I forgot aal about it...:o
SORRY !!!

Looks like Karen made a cute hat!! Maybe Joey wants a few for more?? Go on knitting, dear Karen ;):D

Moesha
01-11-2009, 02:50 PM
I have to say that I know nothing about knitting. I thought I would learn last year. I bought yarn and needles and a pattern for what they called an easy scarf. I tried, but alas, I still have all the ingredients in the bag they arrived in. That is just the cutest little personalized hat!!!

kuhio98
01-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Katie ~ Do you think Joey would wear something like this?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/doggiesweater-1.jpg

The measurements for a small are:

Neck opening (around): 12 (stretches to 20)
Length (bottom of collar to hem): 10 (stretches to 20)
Bottom opening (around): 14 (stretches to 30)

RedHedd
01-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Cute doggie and great idea, however I hope that neither you nor the doggy smoke! :eek:

emily_the_spoiled
01-12-2009, 01:28 PM
From the measurements it sounds like you could use a pattern for a premie baby hat and it would be about the right size.

But that is one really cute hat Karen :D

RICHARD
01-12-2009, 02:25 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/kuhio98/doggiesweater-1.jpg

Dude, Thats a Teletubby's pet!:D

kuhio98
01-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Dude, Thats a Teletubby's pet!:D

Eh-Oh! Time for Tubby Bye-Byes! :D