PDA

View Full Version : Your best purchase

Marigold2
01-08-2009, 11:04 PM
I have been looking around my home at all the things I have bought over the last 10 years. Some very much wanted and some where bought on a whim. Of all the items I do have my two favorite are the treadmill and the laptop. I use both almost everyday. Have had the treadmill for 6 years I think.
One of the items I bought years ago was a fitness membership and hardly ever went.
What are some of your favorite items and what where some you wish you had not bought?

shepgirl
01-09-2009, 09:27 AM
The things bought on a whim are mostly clothes that hang in my closet that I probably will end up giving away.
What I did buy that I treasure most was my van that gave me exactly the comfort and wear that I was lookng for.

Zippy
01-09-2009, 12:04 PM
My camera,DVD player and Laptop are my favorites.I really don't have buyers remose on alot of things I have bought.I research before I buy almost anything.My cats(didn't pay adoption fees for them)and hammie of course.

Pembroke_Corgi
01-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Well, the two best purchases that I made are actually not paid off yet! It would have to be our house and my piano. I love love love owning a home and not having to worry about landlords anymore! (We bought our first house 9 months ago).

The piano is the best I've ever owned, though it is by no means worthy of a concert hall or anything. But it does have a lovely, bright sound, has a nice feel, and it is pretty. Plus it is great to be able to practice and enjoy the way it sounds. I worked in a piano studio as a teacher for 2 years and got to play on some extremely good instruments, so I had to have something at home that could compare a little bit, or I wouldn't practice.

As far as "bad" purchases, I see evidence of this all over the house...nothing overly expensive, but I do own a lot of junk I could sure live without. Makes me wonder how much money I would have in the bank if I could get a refund on all of the unnecessary stuff!

Freedom
01-09-2009, 07:28 PM
As far as "bad" purchases, I see evidence of this all over the house...nothing overly expensive, but I do own a lot of junk I could sure live without. Makes me wonder how much money I would have in the bank if I could get a refund on all of the unnecessary stuff!

Oh I hear ya and I second that! I have a lot I got rid of at yard sale last Spring and hope to do a clean out again this Spring. I didn't have the yard sale, I donated it to the group which does feral cat rescue. They told me my stuff alone brought in over $200!! :eek:

My digital camera which I bought just after adopting Lacey is absolutely the best thing I have ever done! And everyone here on PT gets to enjoy the benefits. :D

3Catcondo
01-10-2009, 02:19 PM
My best purchase would have to be having Lasik eye surgery. It was the best $ I ever have spent. I used to be blind as a bat, aka nearsighted, and could not see anything unless it was almost touching my nose, or I had my contacts in or glasses on. Now, I can see 20/15 with no assistance!!!!

cassiesmom
01-10-2009, 06:20 PM
My digital camera which I bought just after adopting Lacey is absolutely the best thing I have ever done! And everyone here on PT gets to enjoy the benefits. :D
I love enjoying those benefits! :D

As far as "bad" purchases, I see evidence of this all over the house...nothing overly expensive, but I do own a lot of junk I could sure live without.
That goes double for me!

I bought an open-hole flute about a year and a half ago. Making that investment has kept me playing when I might otherwise have quit.

And the adoption fee that brought Cassie Cat home with me :)

Alysser
01-10-2009, 07:08 PM
I think maybe a gym membership, my Nintendo DS, or my sketching supplies. Can't live without any of those, of course I probably can't live without a million other things either, that I don't realize. :rolleyes: Maybe I'll add my NEW phone to that list as well.

Honestly, I do buy alot of junk but I normally don't splurge in a store. I just bought a little tin mailbox at target recently for $1. If it had been more I definitely wouldn't have bought it. I just thought it was adorable for so cheap!

Twisterdog
01-10-2009, 08:14 PM
I have a houseful of things I didn't need. It's sad. Over the last year I have drastically cut down on buying things, and I got rid of a lot of stuff by donating it all to charity.

The good purchases I made were my dogs, my computer, my bedroom furniture (a 1930's complete set in perfect condition), and my car.

DJFyrewolf36
01-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Hmm my best purchases in no particular order...

~The cats and anything for them. My guys (and girl ;) ) are a source of great stress relief!
~Toys for Nick, no matter what seeing him happy makes ME happy
~my computer, without it Id go nuts :p. At least its been fairly cheap since I get a lot of parts at wholesale or free from client trade ins.
~My car, best lump of money I ever spent. Not many people can claim surviving on $5 a week in gas :D
~My DJ equipment, music is a big part of my life.

catnapper
01-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Fun thread!

A few of my best purchases are:
~Anything for Cameron - that little boy makes my life sunnier.
~My laptop. How'd I live before I had it?!?
~ my house. I love my house!

A few of my worst purchases are:
~The large print alarm clock that I can't see since the only way to read it in the middle of the night is to press a button to make the d&*# thing glow. The reason I bought it was because I thought it would glow and be visible all night, even without glasses. grrr.
~ Too many shoes/clothes/accessories to list. All were incredible bargains.... but in hte light of home after the shopper's victory wore off, I realize that if its not flattering or comfortable, its not a great deal.

krazyaboutkatz
01-11-2009, 01:52 AM
My best most recent purchase was new carpet for my condo.:) I've never had new carpet before and my old carpet was at least 25-30 years old, worn out, and badly stained.

My computer,my digital camera,adopting all of my cats,high speed internet,new dishwasher,new refrigerator,getting rid of carpet in my bathrooms and replacing it with a hard surface type of linoleum.

Some of my worst purchases have been gym memberships,treadmill and exercise equipment,shoes,some clothes, and just ending up with too much junk and/or clutter.

pomtzu
01-11-2009, 05:34 AM
The best:
Sparky - my bargain basement ShihTzu for $25. What a steal!
Computer
Digital camera
Oreck vacuum

The worst:
Ronco rotisserie oven - HATE IT and hardly ever use it
Misc clothes, shoes, handbags I didn't really NEED
More knickknacks to collect dust

Suki Wingy
01-11-2009, 07:06 PM
By far that'd be my computer. It is also the most expensive thing I own, and that includes my crappy car. Then would come my camera, which I have used for over four years. Also, my shoes that I bought new from a consignment store for $15.

The worst has just got to be the complete and utter crap that has accumulated over the years that I just had to have because it was on sale, or the vintage 80s rainbow suit I bought off ebay because I never wear it.

edit: I'd have to add my tablet as something I shouldn't have asked for. It was a gift but I don't really use it ever. I still haven't gotten the hang of using it over a year later.

CountryWolf07
01-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Best things I've purchased:

- My car
- College education
- Digital camera
- Manual SLR
- Bamboo Wacom Tablet

Worst things - I don't think I'd have any.

K9karen
01-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Well, of course besides RB Cody ($50) and Mz Logan ($35 adoption fee)...believe it or not, a new wall oven.

Even before we moved here, around 35+ years ago, my mom disconnected her gas oven and used a huge table roaster oven. Ick. Big, not space efficient, lots of burns getting stuff out. Even here, she turned off the gas oven and used her blasted table roaster. With no disrepect to her, a few months after she passed, I bought a new wall oven, had the gas reconnected and baked way too many double chocolate nut brownies the second the installer left!

Other than that, I truly try to make reasonable decisions before I buy stuff, especially since I've been on disability and now that the economy sucks. Oh, I lied. Two years ago I bought a limited edition, signed lithograph of John Lennon. Authentic, guaranteed and on the house insurance policy. Hanging proudly in my living room next to framed pictures of RB Cody and Logan (and mom and dad). I don't regret it. I was tired of putting myself last.

IRescue452
01-11-2009, 11:52 PM
My college education is sitting on a shelf unused, great purchase overall but there are no jobs in the area.

My rat's new Marshall Estate cage is the best recent purchase. My animals. My electric blanket.