PDA

View Full Version : Nostradamus 2012

smokey the elder
01-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Did anyone see/DVR this? It was on Sunday night on the History channel. It had to do with the apparent congruence of a number of prophecies from around the world suggesting that something catastrophic might happen on Dec. 12, 2012.

I should have stuck in a poll. What is everyone's opinion on prophecies and the like? I am extremely skeptical; however, a lot of this made me go, "hmm". I'm not exactly planning on cashing out my 401(k), however.:p;)

lizbud
01-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Moff tipped me off to the show in this thread. Post 18.

I did see it & was fascinated by the whole thing. The predictions made
seem entirely possible. Pretty scary stuff.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=149448

lvpets2002
01-08-2009, 10:27 AM
:) Yes I watched it.. I am like glued to anything about Nostradamus.. I think that I dont want to wonder & think of ahead of time..

Medusa
01-08-2009, 11:07 AM
I only saw bits and pieces of it. I'm hoping that they'll rerun it.

momoffuzzyfaces
01-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Want to hear something freaky I just heard on Fox news yesterday? Ok, I'll tell you anyway:

Since Christmas there have been over 500 earthquakes in and around the Yellowstone national park area. Seems that area is part of a super volcano that erupts every 64,000 years. Guess when it last erupted? Yep, 64,000 years ago.

They say if that blows it will distroy most of the middle of the US. :eek:

Could it be working up to blow in 2012? I don't know! :eek::eek:

Twisterdog
01-08-2009, 11:18 AM
I remember hearing the imminent and dire prophecies of Nostradamus since I was in grade school ... and that was a long time ago.

IMO, the "prophecies" are so very vague that a great many things can be read into them. They can be interpretted to suit any doom and gloom philosophy one wants to see.

DJFyrewolf36
01-08-2009, 01:41 PM
In my opinion, things happen when they want to and us mortals have no power to stop it. Worry only leads to stress...and stress related illnesses! I say sit back, have a beer and live life as you need to live it without worrying if the world will end. If it does, what can you do?

Tis far better to die on your feet than to live on your knees ;)

RICHARD
01-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Dang, NO Christmas shopping that year?

Color me tickled?:D:eek::rolleyes:

davidpizzica
01-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Did anyone see/DVR this? It was on Sunday night on the History channel. It had to do with the apparent congruence of a number of prophecies from around the world suggesting that something catastrophic might happen on Dec. 12, 2012.

I should have stuck in a poll. What is everyone's opinion on prophecies and the like? I am extremely skeptical; however, a lot of this made me go, "hmm". I'm not exactly planning on cashing out my 401(k), however.:p;)

If anything catastrophic happens on that day, I'll have one heck of a 64th birthday to celebrate! I think a lot of people read too much into these predictions.

Edwina's Secretary
01-08-2009, 04:14 PM
If someone is a "prophet" my fist question is..."how much money have the made on the stock market?"

Okay...it is like the Kennedy/Lincoln thing...you can find many similarities if you look for them...and ignore the non-similar.

Exactly WHO was around 64,000 years ago? (And no Blue...I do not have a link to prove it...:rolleyes:) Was it 63,000 years ago maybe? That would be a big difference to us... while a small difference relatively. Or 63,500...who knows?

2000 was going to be the end of the world as we know it. People were stocking water, food and ...:eek:guns!:eek: Ho hum...so now it is 2012.

Catlady711
01-08-2009, 05:53 PM
2000 was going to be the end of the world as we know it. People were stocking water, food and ...:eek:guns!:eek: Ho hum...so now it is 2012.

I remember the Y2K thing, alot of people were in a panic thinking that all the worlds computers would crash, and our economy would crash, and the world as we know it would stop. Hmmm, we're still here, nothing bad happened, cept maybe some digital things said 1900 instead of 2000 but no big deal.

I even have a stuffed Y2K bug sitting on my desk I got just for the occasion!

You can get one on ebay apparently. This one is just like mine.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PLUSH-Y2K-BUG-WITH-HANG-TAG_W0QQitemZ170290304164QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

HANG TAG READS: " Y2K BUG" "THE YEAR 2000 BUG HAS ITS WEBHOLD...A TIME BOMB OF CONFUSION AS MANY FORETOLD!"

ROFL

Killearn Kitties
01-08-2009, 06:40 PM
IMO, the "prophecies" are so very vague that a great many things can be read into them. They can be interpretted to suit any doom and gloom philosophy one wants to see.

This is more or less my opinion of the Nostradamus prophecies too. They are so terribly vague that they can be made to fit many situations, and you would only know that they had come true in retrospect.

The world was supposed to end many times in the seventies and nineties according to the interpreters of Nostradamus, but so far so good!

Marigold2
01-08-2009, 11:16 PM
Anyone can say there will be an earthquake on such and such a day and chances are somewhere on the globe there will be one. Same with a tornado, flood, mudslide, plane crash. These things happen every day. Thousands of people die each year in car accidents, boating accidents, motorcycle etc. Different groups have predicted the end of the world for thousands of years and yet here we still are AND what's more we have the same problems we had one thousand, two thousand or six thousand years ago. Money, in-laws, children, cancer, common cold, flu, jealousy, greed, hunger, hate, lust, wanting power or control over others. Not much has changed really except now we live in homes instead of caves, we still eat meat, worry about our kids, die to young, love, hate, cry, and laugh and pray. We still kill over land, over our respected God or Gods, cheat on our husbands and wives, beat our children. Mankind can fly to the moon but as for morals, kindness, common goodness,forgivness, love, helping others we are NO better then we were 50 or 100 years ago or even 400 years ago. Sad sad sad.

RICHARD
01-08-2009, 11:38 PM
I have these predictions......

NostrilDoofus told me so.

The sun will rise in the east.
2009 will end at midnight on 12/31/2009, midnight.
A broken clock will be correct two times a day.
2 plus 2 equals 4
The Beatles will never record another album,-
Neither will Elvis.
Your nails will be longer in two weeks and O.J. will be in jail tomorrow.

Check them out.:cool:

blue
01-09-2009, 12:45 AM
Prophets? (http://api.ning.com/files/OmEmE*j6U*3Z9wIXDwIfhTReQ3YOsAJ4lEZXt9w*IfA_/jayandsilentbob.jpg)

smokey the elder
01-09-2009, 10:50 AM
My knock on prophecy is that it's basically useless. You always hear after the fact. We'll know in just under 4 years if this is a potentially "forewarned is forearmed" situation. There does seem to be a disproportionate amount of trouble, which, IMO, has one root cause: "too many people, not enough planet", as the late great Robert Heinlein wrote.

Edwina's Secretary
01-09-2009, 11:03 AM
There does seem to be a disproportionate amount of trouble, which, IMO, has one root cause: "too many people, not enough planet", as the late great Robert Heinlein wrote.

Is it the truth! I believe "passing out birth control with the communion wafers" would go a long way to easing the troubles that afflict us!

JenBKR
01-09-2009, 11:29 AM
In my opinion, things happen when they want to and us mortals have no power to stop it. Worry only leads to stress...and stress related illnesses! I say sit back, have a beer and live life as you need to live it without worrying if the world will end. If it does, what can you do?

Agreed! I don't bother worrying about prophecies, I just live my life.

pomtzu
01-09-2009, 12:15 PM
There's nothing I can do about it, so I'm not going to worry about it.

And as long as the topic is "the end of the world as we know it", you should all watch the movie "On the Beach". Very sobering - and all too possible! (or probable). :(

momoffuzzyfaces
01-09-2009, 12:53 PM
I just think it's interesting how so many different people who lived hundreds of years apart hit the same date. And no, I doubt if they had heard of each other.... no tv or news papers then!

I do believe in the Bible prophecies though. They are coming true at a fast pace now, whether anyone choses to believe in them or not. They never give a date though. Don't want everyone jumping on my head about this; it's what I believe and no one can change my mind on this so don't try, ok?

You all are free to believe in what you want to but so am I! :) :love:

Medusa
01-09-2009, 01:40 PM
IMHO, prophecy and prediction are not synonymous. Prophets, if I recall correctly, warned people about their conduct during the present and the consequences of their actions. It wasn't so much future oriented as it was for the present, ie., the time in which they lived. A prediction, on the other hand, is future oriented and anyone can make predictions. Just listen to Sylvia Brown sometime. She makes predictions for the next hundred years or so, knowing that she won't be around when none (or only some) of it comes true. I think Nostradamus was prophesying for his time and not ours, although I can see some similarities but that probably can be said of any era.

smokey the elder
01-09-2009, 01:44 PM
I read On the Beach back in high school, over 30 years ago, along with Alas, Babylon. Both of these were post-nuclear war stories, but had completely different endings, as I recall. Humans have survived (as a species) any number of disasters; civilizations have risen and fallen throughout all of recorded history.

What I found interesting is the possible correlation of Dec. 21, 2012 with a Solar conjunction with the center of the Milky Way galaxy. Many of the cultures who had this type of prophecy were adept astronomers, measuring star motions with eye-popping precision. One way this may be read is the human fear of the unknown, "this has never happened before; must be bad". Eclipses, comets, meteor showers were often considered harbingers of disaster, and often appear to correlate. However, there's a rule (from logic?) correlation does not mean causation.

Even though I'm a skeptic, I find the idea of people (who live in linear time for the most part) which have the ability to "peek" very fascinating.

JenBKR
01-09-2009, 01:49 PM
I do believe in the Bible prophecies though. They are coming true at a fast pace now, whether anyone choses to believe in them or not. They never give a date though. Don't want everyone jumping on my head about this; it's what I believe and no one can change my mind on this so don't try, ok?

I do too! Not saying that I sit around worrying about it, it's all going to happen with or without my consent ;) but I do believe that a lot of them are coming true.

IMHO, prophecy and prediction are not synonymous. Prophets, if I recall correctly, warned people about their conduct during the present and the consequences of their actions. It wasn't so much future oriented as it was for the present, ie., the time in which they lived. A prediction, on the other hand, is future oriented and anyone can make predictions. Just listen to Sylvia Brown sometime. She makes predictions for the next hundred years or so, knowing that she won't be around when none (or only some) of it comes true. I think Nostradamus was prophesying for his time and not ours, although I can see some similarities but that probably can be said of any era.

hmm, you make a good point...I can see the differences between the two. I like Sylvia Brown...not sure if I believe what she says, but she's interesting. Plus, I heard her say once that there are lots of books in heaven, and I want that to be true! :D

RICHARD
01-09-2009, 05:10 PM
I read On the Beach back in high school, over 30 years ago, along with Alas, Babylon. Both of these were post-nuclear war stories, but had completely different endings, as I recall. Humans have survived (as a species) any number of disasters; civilizations have risen and fallen throughout all of recorded history.

Please stay out of my bookshelf?;)

Want to read a rocking good end of world tome?

Lucifer's Hammer.

Or a sci fi twist on same story?

Footfall.

Niven and Pournelle wrote both. I go back to each occasionally.:D

Medusa
01-09-2009, 05:53 PM
I do too! Not saying that I sit around worrying about it, it's all going to happen with or without my consent ;) but I do believe that a lot of them are coming true.

hmm, you make a good point...I can see the differences between the two. I like Sylvia Brown...not sure if I believe what she says, but she's interesting. Plus, I heard her say once that there are lots of books in heaven, and I want that to be true! :D

I don't dislike her but anyone can make a prediction or a comment and occasionally it'll come true. Even a blind squirrel can find a nut now and then. I'm w/Ellie, though; if I'm powerless to do anything about these predictions, then I'm not going to waste my time w/worrying about it. Interesting reading/viewing, though. :)

momoffuzzyfaces
01-10-2009, 12:42 PM
In case anyone is interested: The history channel is showing a program called: The Next Nostradamus. It will be on Sunday night. From what the on line tv guide says, they compare his predictions to ones of a mondern day scientist who uses mathmatics to come up with his therories. Some are supposed to be similar I hear.

As for Sylvia Brown, she told a couple in Missouri that their son who disppeared was dead. He was found alive 9 years later, being held captive by a guy in the area. They found him when the guy kidnapped another child. Both children were rescued.

Medusa
01-10-2009, 12:59 PM
As for Sylvia Brown, she told a couple in Missouri that their son who disppeared was dead. He was found alive 9 years later, being held captive by a guy in the area. They found him when the guy kidnapped another child. Both children were rescued.

I'm not surprised. She's a little too glib and cavalier about such subjects for my taste.

Marigold2
01-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Most likely the world will end when we blow it to bits with our petty wars over land or our different God or Gods.

Marigold2
01-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Is it the truth! I believe "passing out birth control with the communion wafers" would go a long way to easing the troubles that afflict us!

This is a very shocking comment and I agree 100%.

momoffuzzyfaces
01-11-2009, 11:25 AM
The History channel is also showing a program about the Myan prophecies tonight. It will be on before the one about Nostradamus. I just think these things are interesting. :)

smokey the elder
01-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Most likely the world will end when we blow it to bits with our petty wars over land or our different God or Gods.

Ain't that the truth!?

Medusa
01-12-2009, 10:56 AM

Not to worry. "One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh; but the earth abideth for ever." Ecclesiastes 1:4 :)

DJFyrewolf36
01-12-2009, 02:57 PM
No to worry. "One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh; but the earth abideth for ever." Ecclesiastes 1:4 :)

Amen to that sister!

smokey the elder
01-13-2009, 10:12 AM
The earth has stood for 4.5 billion years. Man has been around for, what, a million? (Disclaimer: evolution POV.)

RICHARD
01-13-2009, 04:05 PM
I saw a rerun of NIGHTLINE today where they had two nutball chickie babes who were 'intuitive'. One was earning a retainer of 10k a month to predict business trends for large companies and another did readings for stock brokers and their portfolios.

I can tell you who will win the Super Bowl in February!

The team with the most points.;)

smokey the elder
01-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Nice work if you can get it. I could get a deck of Tarot cards and try the same thing!:p

RICHARD
01-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Nice work if you can get it. I could get a deck of Tarot cards and try the same thing!:p

Oh, ME!ME!ME FIRST!

I'll make the first question easy?

Will that idiot Simon Cowell ever disappear from our shores? With AI starting all over again, he's on TV 24/7!:(:mad: