PDA

View Full Version : Baby products? Questions for PT skin kid moms.

beeniesmom
01-08-2009, 06:52 AM
Hi! This post is for existing moms of little ones.

I've been gathering info. from a few people but thought that a thread on the subject would be great.

Other first time moms on PT will benefit too.

A few friends of mine have been urging me to start a baby registry for the little one to come. I have no idea what to put on it. Sure, bottles, diapers and the usual stuff.

My problem is that there are so many brands.

What products, but mostly brands of different items would you recommend and what products/brands are a waste of money? Safety features... etc.

Any input would be great... from car seats to bottles to pumps to diaper brands etc... :)

finn's mom
01-08-2009, 07:53 AM
I'm excited to hear what people have to say! Especially about car seats, strollers, cribs...As far as bottles and other necessary smaller items, I'm just going to go with BPA free plastics, natural when I can afford it and as much as I can find that's "Made in the USA." I've been told 100 different things as far as brands go, so, I'm just going to go that route. ;)

But, I'm lost on strollers and those bigger items!

prechrswife
01-08-2009, 09:21 AM
On car seats, if you don't mind it costing a little more, Britax is the best out there. That said, our infant carrier seat is an Evenflo, and it has served us well. When the girls have gotten bigger, we have gone to Britax Marathon convertible seats and love them. They get very high ratings on safety. As I said, they are pricey, but we decided that was one area where we would splurge.

We got a wooden high chair, which is pretty to look at, but hasn't been very practical. If you want wood, go with something like an Eddie Bauer, not one of the models from a specialty store. That said, ours has lasted, and we are still using it, but not that practical overall...

Our oldest daughter used the Playtex bottles with disposable liners, our younger used the vent-aire kind. Both are good. A lot of it boils down to the preferences of the baby.

Our Evenflo double stroller is huge, but it is easier to steer than our Cosco single stroller. Those are the only brands we've really used there. You probably will want an inexpensive umbrella stroller for occasions where the big stroller is too bulky. We have used ours in airports and when we are on car trips where we have tons of luggage, etc.

For diapers, we mostly use Luvs, just because they are less expensive and work well. Pampers Swaddlers and then Cruisers are great. Personally, we have had leak issues with Huggies, but I don't know if that is the same for everyone. On the other hand, I prefer Huggies wipes.

When we got our swing and bouncy chair, we went on the cheap end, and they only lasted through one baby. (Since our oldest was adopted at 9 months, we didn't get these until the second time around.) This time, we are going to have to get new ones and will probably go mid-range, although we'll probably stick with Fisher Price. Not for sure on the brand, though.

If you are planning on doing any formula feeding, our girls have done well using both the Parent's Choice (Wal-Mart) and Target store brand formula. Because of FDA regulations, the nutritional value is on par with the name brands, and it is much less expensive.

With our oldest daughter, we got a convertible crib, and that has been nice because when the time arrived, we just switched it over to a toddler bed. She is 3, and we are still using that bed with her crib bedding. That said, with the new baby on the way, she will be getting a "big girl" bed, daughter #2 will get the convertible crib, and the newborn will get the baby's current crib (not convertible).

Make sure you have enough of the practical items like onesies, sleepers, gowns (although I personally prefer sleepers to the gowns, but that is just me), bibs (you will need more than you think), hooded towels, baby washcloths, receiving blankets, etc.

I've written a novel, but I hope this helps. If I think of anything else, I'll add it.:)

finn's mom
01-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Those are awesome tips! Thank you for taking the time to write that out. It's all helpful information! Again, it really does come down to baby and parent preference, but it's great to have a jumping off point! I'm the same way as you, I think we'll splurge on car seats, and go less expensive on some other things.

That's good to know about diapers! I think what I want to try and do is go with cloth diapers when I'm home, and disposable when we're away. I like the idea of not spending as much money and the environmental benefit of it as well. But, I definitely don't want to have to worry about a stinky cloth diaper if I'm at the grocery store, haha. So...disposables will be a part of our routine, for sure!

I plan to breastfeed, too, but I do want to have formula as a backup. It's nice to know the store brands are just as good as the name brands.

I have a lot of friends and family that are sending me used baby clothes upon knowing the sex of the baby. We've already been sent books and magazines, so that's been nice not having to buy those! :)

I'm excited to see what other's have to say, and am glad Carmen started this thread!

AdoreMyDogs
01-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Those are awesome tips! Thank you for taking the time to write that out. It's all helpful information! Again, it really does come down to baby and parent preference, but it's great to have a jumping off point! I'm the same way as you, I think we'll splurge on car seats, and go less expensive on some other things.

That's good to know about diapers! I think what I want to try and do is go with cloth diapers when I'm home, and disposable when we're away. I like the idea of not spending as much money and the environmental benefit of it as well. But, I definitely don't want to have to worry about a stinky cloth diaper if I'm at the grocery store, haha. So...disposables will be a part of our routine, for sure!

I plan to breastfeed, too, but I do want to have formula as a backup. It's nice to know the store brands are just as good as the name brands.

I have a lot of friends and family that are sending me used baby clothes upon knowing the sex of the baby. We've already been sent books and magazines, so that's been nice not having to buy those! :)

I'm excited to see what other's have to say, and am glad Carmen started this thread!

I'll add more later, but if you're having a girl we HAVE to meet up. You wouldn't believe all the gorgeous clothes we have for Quinn. We were given garbage bag upon garbage bag of clothes. Her double shelf closet and her dresser are stuffed so badly that I keep the mountains of clothes that won't fit on top of her dresser or in a storage bin. I've had to give away perfectly good bags of clothes because I simply have no more room in my little house.

So, I'll give you some clothes if you're having a girl, it will benefit both of us, it will clear up lots of room for me and it'll provide your little bundle with some incredibly cute clothes :)

finn's mom
01-08-2009, 11:30 AM
I'll add more later, but if you're having a girl we HAVE to meet up. You wouldn't believe all the gorgeous clothes we have for Quinn. We were given garbage bag upon garbage bag of clothes. Her double shelf closet and her dresser are stuffed so badly that I keep the mountains of clothes that won't fit on top of her dresser or in a storage bin. I've had to give away perfectly good bags of clothes because I simply have no more room in my little house.

So, I'll give you some clothes if you're having a girl, it will benefit both of us, it will clear up lots of room for me and it'll provide your little bundle with some incredibly cute clothes :)

That's awesome news! Thank you! As soon as we're able, we will find out the gender! :) I have a friend who just had a boy, and she has the same problem you're having, so I should be set. My mom's best friend (she's practically my second mom) has already bought some outfits, too, hahaha. I told everyone, though, that I want nothing sent to me until I get past the first trimester.

AdoreMyDogs
01-08-2009, 11:33 AM
That's awesome news! Thank you! As soon as we're able, we will find out the gender! :) I have a friend who just had a boy, and she has the same problem you're having, so I should be set. My mom's best friend (she's practically my second mom) has already bought some outfits, too, hahaha. I told everyone, though, that I want nothing sent to me until I get past the first trimester.

PM me, if you could, when you find out the gender. I'm really disgusted with PT right now and going to log out and not visit for awhile. Please make sure you PM me in case I'm not back when you find out!

Hugs!

-Leslie

finn's mom
01-08-2009, 11:39 AM
PM me, if you could, when you find out the gender. I'm really disgusted with PT right now and going to log out and not visit for awhile. Please make sure you PM me in case I'm not back when you find out!

Hugs!

-Leslie

Sorry to hear that. I sent you a PM. :love:

BitsyNaceyDog
01-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Carmen, I know I already gave you my opinion on some things, but I'm going put some of it in here for Kari or anyone else.

That's exactly what we do, use cloth at home and disposable when we're out. I love cloth! BumGenius are my favorite. I'm thinking of asking my mother-in-law to help me sew some though to save a little money. Though ultimately cloth will save you a lot of money, they are still expensive.

I'm with Dusty on the Britax carseat, that's what Nathan has and we love it.

We use glass bottles, no concern with BPA or any other chemical in those. I also love Nathan's stainless steel sippy cups, you wont need sippy cups for awhile though.

I told Carmen the one product I totally hated was the bottle warmers we tried, we found them all worthless. Maybe others have had better luck, but this time I will not be getting one. We could never get one to warm the bottle to the right temp. It was either too cold or BOILING hot. We felt they were unsafe and we threw them out. (I have no idea what brands we tried, it's been too long since we had them.) We'll use the stove top to warm breast milk or the microwave for formula. People will tell you that the microwave is a big no-no, but really it depends on how you do it. We only ever used it when we were making a formula bottle, then we just popped the water in for a few seconds (depending on the amount in the bottle, 10-20 seconds) It was never hot, it wasn't even really warm, just slightly above room temp. Then we added the formula and stirred/shook it up. Doing it that way is fine. Formula doesn't need to be warmed at all (unless it's out of the fridge), but some babies prefer it warm. Nathan took it just above room temp.

I'll add some more later when I have more time.

finn's mom
01-08-2009, 12:18 PM
That's exactly what we do, use cloth at home and disposable when we're out. I love cloth! BumGenius are my favorite.

I'm with Dusty on the Britax carseat, that's what Nathan has and we love it.

We use glass bottles, no concern with BPA or any other chemical in those.

I will definitely check out BumGenius!

Awesome! I'll have to check out the Britax, I think I've seen it in the searches I've done.

I hadn't really thought about glass bottles, but I will probably do that! I might end up using plastic BPA free bottles for travel and outings, like with the disposable diapers, just for less weight. ;) But, we'll see!

Can't wait to see what others have to say and the rest of your thoughts!

Thanks, Kari!

prechrswife
01-08-2009, 01:02 PM
I know what you mean about the baby clothes accumulating. I just gave away 4 garbage bags full of girl clothes, newborn-12 months sizes, plus a few 18 month summer ones. And that's not counting the ones I pulled out because they were stained or off-season for our friend's coming baby.

We never tried a bottle warmer at all. We used the microwave, about like Kari described, on occasion, but both of our girls were good with room temp formula, thankfully.

prechrswife
01-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Another thought on car seats--Even though it is possible to just use a convertible seat from the beginning, with a newborn, you will probably want to have the carrier kind. That way, you can take the baby in at restaurants, etc., without having to take them out of their seat, and there is a place for baby to sit while you are eating, shopping, etc. Otherwise, until baby can sit up, you will be holding him/her the whole time.

Another thing we love is our front carrier. Ours is a Snugli, but there are a number of brands out there. We used ours with both girls until they outgrew it, and it is still in good enough condition for baby boy. Great for those times when you want baby close but need your hands free--grocery store, etc. I tried using a sling carrier with Katherine, but she hated it with a passion. I have seen others use them with a lot of success, though.

sparks19
01-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Diapers.... Do you have a BJ's near you? or even costco? if so... buy diapers there. seriously the value is amazing. in the smallest size diaper hannah ever wore we got over 200 diapers for $40. In the grocery stores here we would have been paying almost $40 for less than half of that amount. and the BJ's brand diapers (Berkley and jensen)... awesome. I wish we had started using them earlier. they are only $25 a box and they work great. we haven't had any trouble with them.

for diaper rash and other tushy irritants... keep a jar of aquaphor on hand. It's expensive so I woudln't use it all the time (I use desitin most of the time) but when their tushy starts getting irritated just use the aquaphor after every bum change and you will see a vast improvement in 24 hours... in my experience anyway. It has been awesome for Hannah.

DJFyrewolf36
01-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Nick is kind of a pain about his formula, if it isn't warm he will refuse to eat lol. I think having it at room temp bugs his stomach, as Ive noticed that he seems gassy and uncomfortable if he has to eat at room temp when we are out somewhere. He needs special anti gas bottles though too or else he gets REALLY cranky!

As far as diapers go, Ive been really lucky insofar that the cheap store brand ones really seem to work for him. They fit right and they don't leak. I got a whole bunch of newborn diapers but Nick outgrew THOSE before I could use them all lol.

Husky_mom
01-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Congrats to you too Kari!!... two PT babies YAY!!!

I used Avent bottles and Gerber ones... the Avent ones were pretty practical I loved them!!

diapers.. I used every kind... all disposable... Huggies way to much $$ for the same, Pampers gave rash... and after trying all... there was a brand made here that was very nice onteh pocket and great on him... no drips or rashes... also I´ve tried some walmart brand.. white cloud and parent´s choice... both great...

whatever you two choose for disposable ones stay witht he ones with velcro type closure... adhesive closure sucks... :p

I got my stroller, carrier from Graco I think.. LOL... and only dust has made it´s way... it´s still as just as new... tip top condition...

now for baby registry.... ADD EVERYTHING!!!!... add even thing you are going to buy yourselves... here you get "points" for every registry purchase which you can later trade in for stuff.. so if you buy your stuff through the registry you´ll get more "points" to trade... also they´ll give you nice presents....

get nail clippers, medicine spoon dosifier or the new pacifier style ones...

one tip get a box of diapers every payday as a routine.... you can get them from now... stage 3-4 is what I used most... then 2... and 1 and newborn I used least maybe just a bag or two...

and as your babies will be newly born on almost old climate.. you can as well get a baby wipes warmer...

beeniesmom
01-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Hi folks, I just got back from work.
Thanks for the replies. I have a lot of reading to do.

beeniesmom
01-08-2009, 04:20 PM
On car seats, if you don't mind it costing a little more, Britax is the best out there.

Thanks for the info. I'll research the Britax kind and Evenflow.

If you are planning on doing any formula feeding, our girls have done well using both the Parent's Choice (Wal-Mart) and Target store brand formula. Because of FDA regulations, the nutritional value is on par with the name brands, and it is much less expensive.

Good to know, but I plan on breastfeeding too.

With our oldest daughter, we got a convertible crib.

In the long run, it sounds convenient because it lasts longer.

Thanks again!

Diapers.... Do you have a BJ's near you? or even costco?

Yes, both. I'll look to price them there. Thanks.

Get nail clippers, medicine spoon dosifier or the new pacifier style ones...

one tip get a box of diapers every payday as a routine.... you can get them from now... stage 3-4 is what I used most... then 2... and 1 and newborn I used least maybe just a bag or two...

Great advice. Thanks!

beeniesmom
01-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Gosh, there is so much to buy... I guess we will help the economy.

Husky_mom
01-08-2009, 04:34 PM
good thing you are planning on breastfeeding.... but you should buy one can nonetheless, just in case...

I too bought a convertible crib that could be turned into a toddler bed and after that we bought big kid bed the normal individual ones even grown ups use...

oh oh... get a matress cover... just in case you get spills (pee/poop/milk,etc) so it doesn´t gets ruined...

there are also lots of stuff... most of it unneccesary... but you´ll figure out and prioritize the needs vs. the wants......

are you having a baby shower?... perhaps you can ask for gift certificates as presents... I would say diapers but you need to figure out which works best for you and your baby so you don´t end up with tons of useless diapers...

oh and DO NOT buy tons of baby clothes... they´ll leave it behind in DAYS.. literally....if you really really like something, buy it the next size up so it gets weared at least a couple months... same with shoes

shepgirl
01-08-2009, 08:30 PM
It's been a while for me Finn's mom so I think my advice would be a bit outdated. But congratulations on your soon to be new addition to the family. Hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Karen
01-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Oh, and keep an eye on Freecycle in your area - often "durable goods" get Freecycled when a child outgrows them, and as you have plenty of "lead time," it cannot hurt to look!

One little girl in our church has a ton of clothes her grandmother saved from when this baby's mom was a baby herself - lots of baby clothes get so little use that they are good for several kids worth of wear! The one sure thing about babies is they grow!

JenBKR
01-08-2009, 10:15 PM
If you are going to breatfeed and want to pump, get a medela pump. They are expensive ($250 and up) but BELIEVE ME they are completely worth it.

We have an Evenflo car seat - when Ty was 2 months old someone ran a stop sign and we were in a pretty bad accident. The car seat held up extremely well, so personally I would recommend that brand.

Diapers, I think depends on the baby. We have found that Huggies work best for us...we tried just about every other brand and he pees right out of them.

Just my advice, but don't buy or register for any clothes, people like to buy baby clothes and you will probably end up with way more than you will need.

I like Dr. Brown's bottles, especially since Ty had some colic. They really helped with that.

One tip - you are not supposed to microwave breastmilk. Supposedly it breaks down the components of the milk. Forumla in the microwave works just fine, just shake it up a lot.

I'll probably think of more soon. Good luck!

beeniesmom
01-09-2009, 06:35 AM
Are you having a baby shower?... perhaps you can ask for gift certificates as presents... I would say diapers but you need to figure out which works best for you and your baby so you don´t end up with tons of useless diapers...

oh and DO NOT buy tons of baby clothes... they´ll leave it behind in DAYS.. literally....if you really really like something, buy it the next size up so it gets weared at least a couple months... same with shoes

Yes, I think I am. A co-worker of mine said she was going to throw me one. I really don't know many people and don't have a lot of close friends so I was surprised at her gesture. It'll probably be 3 people! hehehe, including me. I am hoping my mom will fly from Italy to attend when the time comes. I figured my mother in law would buy some baby clothes. She always does that with the other babies of the family. I probably will buy but a few pieces. Thanks.

We have an Evenflo car seat - when Ty was 2 months old someone ran a stop sign and we were in a pretty bad accident. The car seat held up extremely well, so personally I would recommend that brand.

Oh my, I'm glad Ty was ok. Another reason to look at Evenflo. Thanks.

Pawsitive Thinking
01-09-2009, 06:49 AM
Buy Sudocream and Calpol in bulk! both are a god-send :love:

BitsyNaceyDog
01-09-2009, 06:51 AM
If you are going to breatfeed and want to pump, get a medela pump. They are expensive ($250 and up) but BELIEVE ME they are completely worth it.
I agree completely! I loved my Medela pumps (I had an electric and manual). This time around I plan to get a Medela Pump in Style. I pumped a lot with Nathan. Nathan was a very lazy eater (still is) and early on I had more milk than a cow. I'm hoping I don't need to pump nearly as much this time around.

BitsyNaceyDog
01-09-2009, 07:15 AM
He needs special anti gas bottles though too or else he gets REALLY cranky! There anti-gas drops too which work well.

Another thing we love is our front carrier. Ours is a Snugli, but there are a number of brands out there. We used ours with both girls until they outgrew it, and it is still in good enough condition for baby boy. Great for those times when you want baby close but need your hands free--grocery store, etc. I tried using a sling carrier with Katherine, but she hated it with a passion. I have seen others use them with a lot of success, though.
Baby's are so picky, aren't they. We never had any luck with the sling either. We used a carrier (also a snugli), but Nathan really didn't care for it after too long. We ended up just carrying him most of the time. :rolleyes:

I too bought a convertible crib that could be turned into a toddler bed and after that we bought big kid bed the normal individual ones even grown ups use... We got a convertible crib for Nathan too. We co-slept with him since day one and never used the crib. Now it's set up as a toddler bed and I'm not buying the new baby a crib, we'll never use it. Something you ladies may want to consider if your planning on co-sleeping.

BitsyNaceyDog
01-09-2009, 07:28 AM
One of my favorite baby products (for when the baby is a little older, around 4 months or so) is an excersaucer. We have an Evenflow exersauser and LOVE it. Nathan loved that thing and it was great, I could set him in it while I cooked, washed dishes, or started a load of laundry.

I don't think anyone has mentioned a boppy yet either. It's great for breast feeding, or for just holding your baby. We also used it when Nathan was able to sit up with a little support- http://nathan.blaix.com/2007/08/25/smile/

prechrswife
01-09-2009, 09:41 AM
One of my favorite baby products (for when the baby is a little older, around 4 months or so) is an excersaucer. We have an Evenflow exersauser and LOVE it. Nathan loved that thing and it was great, I could set him in it while I cooked, washed dishes, or started a load of laundry.

I don't think anyone has mentioned a boppy yet either. It's great for breast feeding, or for just holding your baby. We also used it when Nathan was able to sit up with a little support- http://nathan.blaix.com/2007/08/25/smile/

I agree with both of those. Our exersaucer has held up great, too. We have used it for both girls, and other than the fact that it doesn't play music anymore, it is still almost like new.

We also used our Boppy a lot with Katherine, for both breast feeding and bottle feeding, and for just holding her.

When she got a little older, we used one of those Bebe Pod chairs (Bumbo seats are another brand), and that worked great when she was at that almost-but-not-quite sitting up stage.

sparks19
01-09-2009, 01:32 PM
OH yeah boppy's... AWESOME. I had two. one for Hannahs room and one for the living room since I used them THAT much lol. I took it everywhere with me and used it all the time and when Hannah started learning to sit up on her own I put her in the center of the boppy so it gave her a little support and was a cushion if she should fall over. LOVE boppy's

exersaucers are great. We have the baby einstein one and Hannah STILL loves it.

JenBKR
01-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Register for gates now.....all of a sudden your little one will be on the move and you'll be needing them. We basically babyproofed the living room and keep Ty in there as much as possible. It's surprising how quickly they can get into everything!

We have a rather large kitchen with hardwood floors, so his walker has been great. I can make dinner, clean up the kitchen, etc., and he is happy in his walker for a little while. The kitchen is now the only room in the house that is even remotely clean :eek:

I'd say don't bother with a diaper genie, they are a pain in the butt and you have to keep buying their refills. We have a diaper champ and it works really well, and you can use whatever bags you want.

finn's mom
01-09-2009, 02:34 PM
I started a registry through walmart, and plan to start a couple others because i've had several people tell me to make sure to offer a variety. so, i am. :) i didn't register for a boppy, but i found a similar item for about half price through walmart, and the reviews are great. thanks for the suggestion on that!

i also registered for an exersaucer, but i might remove it since it's for older babies. not sure, though...the one i looked at is kindof expensive, so i may leave it on there and just store it until baby is old enough to use it. ;)

i love the idea of glass bottles, so i registered for those, too...

i keep reading stuff about SIDS and not laying your baby on his stomach to sleep, etc, which i was already aware of. but i have read multiple times that you should keep the sleeping area clear of "extras" like pillows and blankets. It makes sense, as I can totally see how a baby could get his head under the blanket or pillow or bumper or sheet or whatever...

Because of that information, I'm considering not even bothering with the cutesy bed linen packages, and just sticking with the basics of sleeping...a mattress with a fitted sheet and not much else...what do you all do?

JenBKR
01-09-2009, 02:44 PM
I started a registry through walmart, and plan to start a couple others because i've had several people tell me to make sure to offer a variety. so, i am. :) i didn't register for a boppy, but i found a similar item for about half price through walmart, and the reviews are great. thanks for the suggestion on that!

i also registered for an exersaucer, but i might remove it since it's for older babies. not sure, though...the one i looked at is kindof expensive, so i may leave it on there and just store it until baby is old enough to use it. ;)

i love the idea of glass bottles, so i registered for those, too...

i keep reading stuff about SIDS and not laying your baby on his stomach to sleep, etc, which i was already aware of. but i have read multiple times that you should keep the sleeping area clear of "extras" like pillows and blankets. It makes sense, as I can totally see how a baby could get his head under the blanket or pillow or bumper or sheet or whatever...

Because of that information, I'm considering not even bothering with the cutesy bed linen packages, and just sticking with the basics of sleeping...a mattress with a fitted sheet and not much else...what do you all do?

IMO get the exercauser - your baby will be 4 months before you know it and it's wonderful!

No blankets or pillows in the crib, but you do want a crib bumper. That will keep baby from getting legs/arms stuck when he/she starts rolling around. We got a bedding set, which included sheets, bumper pad, quilt (just used for decoration) and a window valance.

Pembroke_Corgi
01-09-2009, 02:57 PM
These are all great suggestions. It's exciting that we have so many PT babies this year. :)

I wanted to add that craigslist.com is also a great place to go for many things. There are some things I wouldn't buy used (car seat, etc) but for others it's really nice to be able to get something for cheaper that the baby won't use long anyway.

We bought a co-sleeper for the side of the bed and also a crib. I plan on having the baby sleep in our room at night and nap in the crib so she can get used to it (and also to keep the pets from bugging her). We'll see how that works out in real life!

I would agree that people LOVE to give baby clothes. Our baby already has far more than she will probably be able to wear, and she isn't due for another 2 months. I didn't register anywhere but I did get a surprise shower and I got a lot of really nice things- people really like to buy baby stuff! You might find that you will need an extra room just for all the baby stuff you will buy/be given.

Now, I have a question for moms who have pumped- I plan on getting one so my husband can share in the joy of nighttime feedings too. I really want the Medela "In style" pump (the expensive one). Can I use any kind of bottle with this, or do I need to buy a specific brand/ type?

JenBKR
01-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Now, I have a question for moms who have pumped- I plan on getting one so my husband can share in the joy of nighttime feedings too. I really want the Medela "In style" pump (the expensive one). Can I use any kind of bottle with this, or do I need to buy a specific brand/ type?

I didn't usually pump directly into the bottles. I had these little containers that I bought that I pumped into and stored the milk. I'll look online and post a link to what I bought. If you want to pump directly into the bottle, you will have to get bottles that will screw into the pump. We use Dr. Brown's bottles (regular,not the wide neck) and those work like that too.

Hope you don't think I am trying to be a know-it-all.....I'm at work, and a bit bored, and I love talking baby :D

Husky_mom
01-09-2009, 03:06 PM
one thing about a baby sleeping on his tummy... I know all the scary stuff but still my boy slept on his tummy always... head turned to the side... I guess I was lucky as he did not EVER placed his face down at all...

I think I also was more scared of him throwing up and choking on it if he slept tummy up... I don´t know.. but I guess every case is different... a friend of mine whenever puts her baby face down she rolls over so she´s face up..again every baby is different...

as for bedding I only had a fitted sheet and a blankie just enough size to cover and not get all bulky, no pillows or toys or anything and I did use the crib bumpers, althought loosely tied so they were easily moved... now they are some new kind of bumpers that are kinda like screen doors...those sound great

JenBKR
01-09-2009, 03:10 PM
http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Section_Id=9585&pcount=&pn=2&Product_Id=472097&sku1=k_s1_77003027&is_baby_depot=1

Here are the milk storage containers I used.

finn's mom
01-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the info on the bumpers. I figured I'd get one, but I want to make sure it's not a kind that can easily be lifted up or bunched up. With SIDS, don't the babies typically die without making much noise at all? I would think with choking on vomit, they would cough or cry or something...thus waking someone to the situation...I don't know, though. I plan to have the baby sleep on his back, but I'm not going to faint if my mom puts him down on his tummy. ;) I'm sure the three of us all slept on our bellies. We'll just have to see.

I haven't really looked at a co-sleeper, I'll have to check that out. David was worried about having the baby sleep in the bed with us as he is afraid we'll roll over on him. But, again, I'll have to look at a co-sleeper, as that seems like a great idea!

sparks19
01-09-2009, 03:21 PM
OOOH is it the Cuddle-U pillow instead of the boppy that you saw at Walmart? That is the one I used (I still call it a boppy lol can't help it) and it was AWESOME. it's a great nursing pillow.

Another thing about the registry. Put ANYTHING you need or think you will need on there... then people can pick and choose what to get you and whatever is left over will serve as a list for what you still need to get. :)

We used the regular crib bumpers when Hannah was a newborn and didn't really move around. We also put a blanket on her up to her waist because she didn't really move around too much at first so I wasnt' worried about it.
When she started moving around a lot more I took out the regular bumpers and got a breathable bumper. it's mesh. it keeps baby bits inside where they belong and doesn't pose a suffocation hazard.

When Hannah was about 1 1/2 or 2 months I put her down to sleep on her side. She seemed more comfortable curled up on her side and if she wanted to she could roll onto her back.

finn's mom
01-09-2009, 03:28 PM
OOOH is it the Cuddle-U pillow instead of the boppy that you saw at Walmart? That is the one I used (I still call it a boppy lol can't help it) and it was AWESOME. it's a great nursing pillow.

Another thing about the registry. Put ANYTHING you need or think you will need on there... then people can pick and choose what to get you and whatever is left over will serve as a list for what you still need to get. :)

We used the regular crib bumpers when Hannah was a newborn and didn't really move around. We also put a blanket on her up to her waist because she didn't really move around too much at first so I wasnt' worried about it.
When she started moving around a lot more I took out the regular bumpers and got a breathable bumper. it's mesh. it keeps baby bits inside where they belong and doesn't pose a suffocation hazard.

When Hannah was about 1 1/2 or 2 months I put her down to sleep on her side. She seemed more comfortable curled up on her side and if she wanted to she could roll onto her back.

I don't remember what it's called...that's terrible, I just looked at it, hahaha. It has a removable washable slipcover that comes standard with the pillow, which apparently is sold separately with the boppy. I may ask for a couple of them, one for home and one for in the vehicle.

The mesh bumper sounds great, that's probably what I will go with. :)

I just took a peek at some of the co-sleepers, that looks like a great idea, although I really don't want David to have to get up too often at night. We'll just have to talk more about it when it comes time to decide what we want to do with nighttime arrangements. I may simply not have a choice if I'm too exhausted, I may have to ask him for help. Not that he would mind, but he will continue to work, whereas I will become an instant stay-at-homer. ;)

And, absolutely, I plan to put whatever and more on the registries. :)

Pembroke_Corgi
01-09-2009, 03:33 PM
I didn't usually pump directly into the bottles. I had these little containers that I bought that I pumped into and stored the milk. I'll look online and post a link to what I bought. If you want to pump directly into the bottle, you will have to get bottles that will screw into the pump. We use Dr. Brown's bottles (regular,not the wide neck) and those work like that too.

Hope you don't think I am trying to be a know-it-all.....I'm at work, and a bit bored, and I love talking baby :D

Oh gosh, no, it's good advice! Thanks for the link, too- I will look into those! I can definitely understand wanting to talk baby, too...the closer I get to my due date, the more I think about it and of course wonder what it's really like, you know? You can read on it and have experience with kids, but I'm sure it's completely different having your own!

I haven't really looked at a co-sleeper, I'll have to check that out. David was worried about having the baby sleep in the bed with us as he is afraid we'll roll over on him. But, again, I'll have to look at a co-sleeper, as that seems like a great idea!

That is what I am scared of too, accidentally hurting the baby, or being too scared about it to sleep very well. The co sleeper attaches to the bed and comes down on the side so your baby is right next to you, but on their own bed. You can also use it as a regular bassinet. The one I got is an Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper- they have a mini and a bigger size. They run anywhere from $150-250 new, but I bought mine on craigslist. They really can't be used too long so I figured I would buy a practically new one at a fraction of the cost.

Husky_mom
01-09-2009, 03:34 PM
for a few weeks I used a moses... more like a basinet or something... baby sleeping inside and it placed on the bed, so no roll over mishaps ;)... the one I used was practically a rectangle...

something like this one http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3250/3011755420_16ec6f9a66.jpg?v=0

beeniesmom
01-09-2009, 03:56 PM

Oh Gosh No! Thanks for the info.

Karen
01-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Did you moms-to-be see King2005's post about her company's baby monitors over in the Marketplace forum? (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=2110207#post2110207) Looks cool!

Cataholic
01-09-2009, 06:57 PM
If you are interested in BFing: I would skip the formula purchase and instead spend your money on a couple of good books about BFing. The first month or so can be incredibly difficult, and obtaining all the support you can early on can be the difference between quitting and continuing. Le Leche League has some great books, a monthly (or so) publication, supportive meetings and women that can get you started on the right track! By far, the money I spent towards fostering my BFing relationship with my son was the absolute best money ever spent. I will never forget the after hours, in home, visit from a leader that totally saved the relationship.

I would buy a 'boppy' called My Breast Friend over the Boppy. It fit me way better, was larger, so it lifted Jonah up closer to the 'spicket', and was more supportive in general.

I would buy a hospital grade electric pump. It makes pumping so much easier! And, make sure the nozzles you use fit! I would find a local lacatation shop in your area, and go visit.

I would buy a couple of decent nursing bras. Skip the Target/Walmart brand and go to a specialty shop for propper fitting. On that end, find clothing now that makes BFing easier to handle..not only around the house but for out and about, too!

As to other things, diapers seem to be all about fit. I used Pampers brand for newborn (swaddlers), but, at size 2, they didn't fit, and had that very inflexible fastener. I used Huggies after that. I liked the cloth-like feel, and never had leaks.

I would not put anything in the crib other than a fitted sheet. Not even a bumper pad. Course, Jonah didn't spend a whole lot of time in it (and even now gets the night time ride to his own bed! :o).

If you can, try to find the old-fashioned square playpen. I never used the two pack and plays my GF gave me. They are small, the mesh is not conducive to looking in or out, and did I say that they were small? LOL. The old fashioned 3 x 3 wooden ones rock. I managed to find two that people had in their homes. We made two mattress like covers (foam covered with terry cloth). And, these serve so many purposes, especially if you have dogs. I put Jonah in his when I showered, or, needed to do a few things around the house, and felt comfortable with his 'safety'.

I would get a baby bath tub, a wipes warmer (nothing says, "hello, wake up and scream now" like a cold wipe on a warm bum), a Britax seat, a SMALL stroller...I gotta tell you, nothing says, "get that damn thing outta my store" faster than a stroller larger than a Hummer. They are too big to use, too hard to navigate, etc.

I would get the aquafor....WAY better then any other bum cream, and my son has the sensitive skin award for 4 years running. :) I would stay with a generic soap/shampoo. I did use the baby detergent, but, really, it was for the smell more than anything else. I heard the local Children's Hospital uses regular detergent. (but, what do they know, right?).

I went through a lot of onsies....trying to find the snap/pull around instead of the over the head ones was super hard, too!

I was one of those moms that dressed her child in sleepers for the first year. LOL, well, close to it. I did very litte 'dressing' of Jonah. I didn't do the shoes, the shirts, the pants, the socks. In fact, Jonah's first shoes were one his first birthday. Up til then, he wore socks, and when he started walking, he wore "Robees". Clothing wise, it was simpler and cheaper. (I do dress him now for preschool).

I wouldn't buy stuff you don't need for the first 6-8 months now. You don't need to 'baby proof' your house now, unless you are birthing a 8-9 month old. Save your money, the storage space in your home, and the stress of trying to do it all now. I am single, work full time, and still managed to find the time to do it later. Plus, I am really old, so, if I can do it timely, so can you youngins'.

For people with cats, I would definetly spend the $30 and get a crib tent. That way, when your child IS in the crib, you aren't worried about the cats jumping on top of your children (though I have a hard time imagining MY cats doing this.., but, money well spent).

I would skip the baby monitors, it just encourages anxieties. I would skip the baby DVDs..since the AAP is pretty strong that TV for infants is not appropriate.

I would buy a bassinet/co-sleeper thing/moses basket for your room. I didn't buy one before Jonah was born. We stopped for one on the way home from the hospital. I couldn't bear the thought of this tiny newborn sleeping in another room, in such a big space (crib).

Otherwise, remember that you need a lot less that you think. Remember to think of things that will make this transition easier for you! Maybe that means getting a hair cut before, having someone clean your home for the first 6 months, cooking, shopping, etc.

Finally, at your 7-8 month, get some professional shots done- at whatever your comfort level, to memorialize the experience. I didn't do it, and regret it.

BitsyNaceyDog
01-09-2009, 07:00 PM
That is what I am scared of too, accidentally hurting the baby, or being too scared about it to sleep very well. The co sleeper attaches to the bed and comes down on the side so your baby is right next to you, but on their own bed. You can also use it as a regular bassinet. The one I got is an Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper- they have a mini and a bigger size. They run anywhere from $150-250 new, but I bought mine on craigslist. They really can't be used too long so I figured I would buy a practically new one at a fraction of the cost.
I'm looking at the Arm's Reach Co-sleeper too. We're still co-sleeping with Nathan and I really have no plan on kicking him out of the bed any time soon. When the baby is fussy I'll just go to the living room and let Nathan and Justin sleep peacefully in the bedroom. That's what I did when Nathan was fussy in the night anyway so Justin could sleep.

BitsyNaceyDog
01-09-2009, 07:14 PM
I would get the aquafor....WAY better then any other bum cream, and my son has the sensitive skin award for 4 years running. :) I would stay with a generic soap/shampoo. I did use the baby detergent, but, really, it was for the smell more than anything else. I heard the local Children's Hospital uses regular detergent. (but, what do they know, right?).

I was one of those moms that dressed her child in sleepers for the first year. LOL, well, close to it. I did very litte 'dressing' of Jonah. I didn't do the shoes, the shirts, the pants, the socks. In fact, Jonah's first shoes were one his first birthday. Up til then, he wore socks, and when he started walking, he wore "Robees". Clothing wise, it was simpler and cheaper. (I do dress him now for preschool).

I'm not a fan of the baby detergents. I just used regular detergent. I use a dye and fragrance free detergent though, nothing harsh.

I didn't put Nathan in shoes until he started walking either. Then he wore soft soled shoes (Robees knock- offs) until he was 15 months. He was really bow-legged and his doctor didn't want him in hard soled shoes until his legs straightened out. By 15 months his legs were looking good and we bought him his first pair of hard soled shoes. I'll definitely keep this baby in soft soled shoes for awhile too even if his/her legs aren't bowed.

prechrswife
01-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Target has Robeez knock-offs that are great, and much cheaper than the real thing. Both of my girls have worn those.

We have gotten crib sets for ours. We just don't use the comforter part until they reach the toddler bed stage. We don't use pillows until then, either, but most crib sets don't come with pillows. Personally, I just think the crib looks more "put together" with a dust ruffle, and it makes it nice for hiding under-bed storage boxes, which we need with the lack of storage space in our little house. That is another one of those matters of personal preference, though. If you don't want to go the crib set route, though, the mesh bumpers sound like a good idea.

For the record, we went and started a registry at Target tonight. (Not our first baby, but our first boy and when people start asking what you need, it is much easier to point them toward a registry than to try and think off-the-cuff.) Anyway, this is not the best time to be doing that. They are transitioning a lot of their baby merchandise and a lot of things are on clearance, which means you really don't need to include them on a registry list. That said, if you are just looking to purchase some items yourself, check out Target for LOTS of clearance stuff in the baby department.

caseysmom
01-12-2009, 06:11 PM
I am hosting a baby shower for my sister in law in two weeks.

Gosh we went to 'Babies r Us' saturday where she is registered, how things have changed! My youngest is 16.

I wanted to spend about 300 and she was registered for the fancy pump but I thought bleh how boring so I bought the video monitor, bath center, diaper pail thingie, diaper bag, and mirror for the car. I am still going to buy a box of diapers but she is registered at babies r us and they are cheaper and you get a lot more at sams so I told her to take it off the registration but she hasn't so I am waiting on that one....

I have already started cooking and freezing the food, we are having a full dinner and hubbies are invited also.

Oh and we went a little nuts on the bibs....bought one that says "chicks dig me", the baby is a boy...hehe and "if you think I am cute you should see my dad" and of course "i love my aunt" and "my uncle loves me"

beeniesmom
01-12-2009, 06:15 PM
That's really sweet of you to do that for your sister in law.
I am sure she will appreciate it.

caseysmom
01-13-2009, 09:30 AM
That's really sweet of you to do that for your sister in law.
I am sure she will appreciate it.

Thanks...hubby and I went to party city last night, a person could really go crazy there :D

Does anyone know any fun baby shower games that could include men?

finn's mom
01-13-2009, 09:31 AM
What do you guys think of sleepers, sleepsacs, gowns, etc? I like them a lot, but obviously have never put them on a baby or seen how babies enjoy them.

caseysmom
01-13-2009, 09:32 AM
What do you guys think of sleepers, sleepsacs, gowns, etc? I like them a lot, but obviously have never put them on a baby or seen how babies enjoy them.

I used them when mine were babies...in fact at first that is pretty much what they live in.

finn's mom
01-13-2009, 09:36 AM
I used them when mine were babies...in fact at first that is pretty much what they live in.

That's kinda what I was thinking. :) Thanks!

prechrswife
01-13-2009, 10:49 AM

We used sleepers and gowns with Katherine. Personally, I prefer sleepers, but I know others that like the gowns better. We never used sleepsacs. That said, we are in Florida, and Katherine was born in early August. We mostly used the sleepers at night, and she was in cooler clothes during the day. (She was born during a horrible heat wave.) One thing we used quite a bit with both girls for easy dressing during warm weather were onesies and the stretchy pants that are made to match them.

sparks19
01-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Yeah sleepers are the best. Hannah is wearing a monkey one right now lol. I love them. But I would suggest zippered sleepers over the snap button ones. I have had both and don't have a problem using the snap buttons but then she wakes in the middle of the night and I have to try to figure out these stupid snap buttons while half asleep lol.

and onesies... LOVE onesies. they are great for when it's cold out too. put them underneath a top or sweater and it provides layers to keep them warm and prevents their belly from getting cold when you lift them up and their shirt is up to their armpits lol. and they are great in summer for reasons already posted above.

beeniesmom
01-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Does anyone know any fun baby shower games that could include men?

Well, a friend of mine was telling me about a game that you melt different chocolate bars into diapers and the person has to smell or lick it and guess what kind of candy it is. I'm sure a man could handle that and make himself sick with laughter!

caseysmom
01-13-2009, 04:19 PM
Well, a friend of mine was telling me about a game that you melt different chocolate bars into diapers and the person has to smell or lick it and guess what kind of candy it is. I'm sure a man could handle that and make himself sick with laughter!

blech!!!!! but funny!

k9krazee
01-13-2009, 06:36 PM
I've played the candy bar game several times, it's quite fun! lol

I really don't have anything to contribute to this thread regarding baby products, but I was reading through my anthropology book today and they were talking about a baby's sleeping arrangement and I found it an interesting read. However, I'm sure it's a debatable topic and you all have some knowledge on the pros and cons to sleeping with/without baby. ;)

"Infants in the U.S. typically sleep apart from their parents. To most North Americans, this may seen normal, but cross-cultural research shows that co-sleeping, of mother and baby in particular, is the rule. Only in the past 200 years, generally in Western industrial societies, has it been considered proper for parents to sleep apart from their infants. In a way, this practice amounts to a cultural experiment in child rearing.

Recent studies have shown that separation of mother and infant in Western societies has importat biological and cultural consequences. For one thing, it increases the lenth of the child's crying bouts. Some mothers incorrectly interpret the cause as a deficiency in breast milk and switch to less healthy bottle formulas; and in extreme cases the crying may provoke physical abuse. But the benefits of co-sleeping go beyond significant reduction in crying: Infants also nurse more often and have 3 times as long per feeding; they receive more stimulation (important for brain development); and they are less susceptible to sudden infant death syndrome. There are benefits to the mother as well: Frequent nursing prevents early ovulation after childbirth, and she gets at least as much sleep as mothers who sleep without their infants.

The benefits may lead us to ask, Why do so many mothers continue to sleep apart from their infants? In North America the cultural values of independence and consumerism come into play. To begin building identities, babies are provided with rooms (or at least space) of their own. This room of one's own also provides parents with a place for the paraphernalia associated with good parenting in North America."

beeniesmom
01-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Interesting article.
My husband and I have been debating whether to have a nursery right away or wait awhile and just put the crib in our room for easy access. I don't know how I would feel about sleeping with the baby in the bed with me. I am sure I would crush it. We sleep with both dogs in the bed and they both snuggle up to my husband because I jerk around and roll about a lot. I would probably smush the baby too.

sparks19
01-13-2009, 10:57 PM
It's a personal choice.

Honestly I don't think a child is better or worse off either way. Lord Knows Hannah has slept in her own crib from day one and she almost NEVER cries... EVER. and if she does it is only for a minute or two. and I know kids who sleep with their parents who aren't clingy and totally dependant and who made the transition to their own bed just fine. I think if a child has loving parents who tend to their needs... it doesn't matter if they sleep on their own or in their parents bed... they are both well off.

for me I couldn't have Hannah in my bed all the time. I have a hard time sleeping now as it is lol

Husky_mom
01-14-2009, 11:24 AM
at one time after the bassinet in bed.. I placed the crib in our room right next to the bed.. so baby was right there but also on his own "bed"...

for me it was also more comfortable as I didn´t had to walk middle-of-the-night to his room :p ...

finn's mom
01-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Our room is definitely too small for a crib, and we're going to have to rearrange to have a co-sleeper. The room we'll use for the nursery is directly across the hall, and I do plan to go there to nurse if David is sleeping. If I'm too sore at first, I'll just stay in the bed and nurse, and David will just have to use ear plugs. ;) I do like the idea of having a nursery set up for naps during the day and for the baby's things to be organized and in one area. I know I'll have a handful of things in our room with the co-sleeper, but I'd like to keep most of the things in the nursery.

My mom already sent a box of maternity clothes. ;) She got some really cute things for really really cheap at Kohl's. Most of the tops were less than $4. She's a great bargain shopper. When I talked to her today, she'd just picked up some Dr Seuss books for $5 a piece. She's a great gal, and way too excited to remind her that I asked her not to send anything until the first trimester was past. ;)

Target had some really cute onesies and stuff, I was kinda surprised. I want to go into the store and put my hands on some of the stuff I'm including on the registry to make sure I like the feel of them, too. I know some things are only available online, but for those I can find at the store, that'll help in the decision. :)

beeniesmom
01-20-2009, 03:42 PM
OK... What is better: A bouncer or a swing?

caseysmom
01-20-2009, 03:45 PM
OK... What is better: A bouncer or a swing?

I loved my swing, couldn't have lived without it. I think I had a bouncer also, what do you mean by bouncer?

beeniesmom
01-20-2009, 03:48 PM
What do you mean by bouncer?

Something like this: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3160407

caseysmom
01-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Something like this: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3160407

Oh yes I got one of those with my second, I got the swing with my first. Boy have swings changed since those days, we had to crank the swing. I really liked both but if I had to choose I would choose the swing.

By the way the shower is progressing, I bought things to make party favors and my daughter is making those.

beeniesmom
01-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Nice! My mom is making my italian style party favors too. Since she is making them by hand, it will take months.

caseysmom
01-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Nice! My mom is making my italian style party favors too. Since she is making them by hand, it will take months.

We aren't doing any that elaborate:eek: just some jordan almonds covered in thule and a bow tying it all together with a plastic rattle thing.

beeniesmom
01-20-2009, 04:08 PM
We aren't doing any that elaborate:eek: just some jordan almonds covered in thule and a bow tying it all together with a plastic rattle thing.

Well, she is doing the same thing too: Jordon almonds, the thule but outside of the thule, she will layer with a crochet doily.

caseysmom
01-20-2009, 04:09 PM
By the way are jordan almonds suppose to be really hard or did I get an old batch at michaels?

beeniesmom
01-20-2009, 04:12 PM
By the way are jordan almonds suppose to be really hard or did I get an old batch at michaels?

I haven't had them in a while.
I think the outside is supposed to be kind of hard but the nut 'per se', less hard.....

sparks19
01-20-2009, 04:13 PM
Hannah never really liked her swing or her bouncer

caseysmom
01-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Hannah never really liked her swing or her bouncer

Hannah is not a typical baby...you braggart...now get out of this thread it for folks with regular whiny babies:D

sparks19
01-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Hannah is not a typical baby...you braggart...now get out of this thread it for folks with regular whiny babies:D

LOL... I didn't mean it like that smarty pants.

I mean she really had a dislike for those two items :p she would only put up with them for about 5 minutes. her favorite thing was being laid in her boppy pillow... you're right... she's not typical. she's strange lol

caseysmom
01-20-2009, 04:44 PM
LOL... I didn't mean it like that smarty pants.

I mean she really had a dislike for those two items :p she would only put up with them for about 5 minutes. her favorite thing was being laid in her boppy pillow... you're right... she's not typical. she's strange lol

I am teasing you! Hannah reminds me of my youngest she was easy then and she is still easy.

JenBKR
01-20-2009, 06:18 PM
Ty loved both! He absolutely loved his swing, he would nap in it and just swing in it for long periods of time. It was so wonderful and I think I cried when he outgrew it :eek:

The bouncer was also nice though, and it's more portable. It's not easy to take the swing from one room to another, so you might want both. If you get a bouncer make sure to ask for one that vibrates and plays music!

prechrswife
01-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Katherine loved her bouncer and her swing. I agree with pretty much everything JenBKR just said. Our swing was theoretically the portable kind, but I wouldn't advise getting that kind. It just didn't hold up. We're going with the full-sized kind this time around. The bouncer was a lot more portable. She napped in both quite often.

finn's mom
01-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Are swings for newborns or more for the older baby? I know I plan to have one, just not sure if I need to get one right away. And a bouncer will definitely be on our list. :) Just trying to find one that we like, and that's preferably Made in the USA.

JenBKR
01-21-2009, 11:00 AM
We did put Ty in his swing when he was only a couple of weeks old and propped him up with blankets on either side of him. He loved it (and so did I!)

Cataholic
01-21-2009, 11:12 AM
I didn't check the links, so, maybe someone posted this already.

I had the big swing thing, sturdy, not the type you move from room to room, and J like that. THEN, I had a portable table top one, I think it was called an Aquarium Swing, and it rocked! Very easy to move room to room, VERY sturdy, and it could safely be put on top of a table...which was super nice.

finn's mom
01-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Can y'all do me a favor? No big deal, but, if you can easily check, please let me know if any of your large baby products are Made in the USA. Things like car seats, swings, cribs, etc...

I will ultimately choose whichever is safest and most appropriate for our home and lifestyle, but if I have a choice in the matter, I will try to get Made in the USA. :love:

prechrswife
01-21-2009, 01:36 PM
We put Katherine in her swing fairly early on. We actually ended up getting an extra one of those head support things like you use in a car seat for use in the swing. It worked great for keeping her supported.

It sounds like Cataholic had a different portable swing than we did. I wish I had found one that worked better because the size was very convenient. The one we have is no longer being manufactured, anyway. They update the models pretty frequently.

I'll have to do some checking on the "Made in the USA" thing. I'm honestly not sure.

JenBKR
01-21-2009, 01:41 PM
All-American Baby http://www.all-americanbaby.net/ is all american made. I don't know a whole lot about them, and I don't have anything from them, so I can't personally vouch for them. It's pretty expensive though.

caseysmom
01-21-2009, 02:10 PM
My sister in law bought a stroller made in Italy, it was 900 dollars:eek:

beeniesmom
01-21-2009, 02:36 PM

Wow, was it a ferrari?
I was thinking about getting Chicco brand products (#1 italian brand) but they are a bit pricey... but not 900 dollars! :eek:

JenBKR
01-21-2009, 02:45 PM

:eek: For $900 it better put the baby in the stroller, rock him to sleep, and walk itself :eek:

caseysmom
01-21-2009, 03:05 PM
:eek: For $900 it better put the baby in the stroller, rock him to sleep, and walk itself :eek:

Thats what I said! Here is the website http://www.pegperego.com/

JenBKR
01-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Thats what I said! Here is the website http://www.pegperego.com/

I checked out the website - you know it's expensive when they don't even list prices :eek:

caseysmom
01-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Here is a price, I think she must have got some other options for it though

http://www.goores.com/goores/product.asp?s%5Fid=0&pf%5Fid=PAOHIDAHFOBCKFFE

JenBKR
01-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Looks nice, but...WOW! That price just knocks me over :eek:

BitsyNaceyDog
01-21-2009, 04:28 PM
Are swings for newborns or more for the older baby? I know I plan to have one, just not sure if I need to get one right away. And a bouncer will definitely be on our list. :) Just trying to find one that we like, and that's preferably Made in the USA.
We used Nathan's swing the most during the first few months. I think he was no more than a week old the first time we put him in it. He loved it and it was a great place for him to hang out while I pumped.

finn's mom
01-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Wow, was it a ferrari?
I was thinking about getting Chicco brand products (#1 italian brand) but they are a bit pricey... but not 900 dollars! :eek:

Are their products all made in Italy? I would love to check them out. I just try to stay away from products made in China, simply because I've been told (correct me if I'm wrong) that they don't trade with us. Meaning, they don't take American made products in China.

finn's mom
01-21-2009, 06:27 PM
This is the travel system my mother might get for us. She just sent me an email saying she found it for really cheap. It looks good to me. My mom is on fire with this stuff, it's cute. ;)

http://www.albeebaby.com/grgltrsy7sin.html

JenBKR
01-21-2009, 08:25 PM
This is the travel system my mother might get for us. She just sent me an email saying she found it for really cheap. It looks good to me. My mom is on fire with this stuff, it's cute. ;)

http://www.albeebaby.com/grgltrsy7sin.html

That looks like a really good one. I am a big fan of Graco :)

prechrswife
01-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Are their products all made in Italy? I would love to check them out. I just try to stay away from products made in China, simply because I've been told (correct me if I'm wrong) that they don't trade with us. Meaning, they don't take American made products in China.

I don't think that information about China is entirely accurate. When we were in China, we saw a good number of America products in stores. There are also a large number of American businesses with franchises in China--Wal-Mart, KFC, Pizza Hut, etc.

beeniesmom
01-22-2009, 08:22 AM

As far as I know Chicco brand stuff is made in Italy. They don't have material safety issues. The Italian child safety laws are very strict as the US ones are.

Cataholic
01-22-2009, 08:57 AM
This is what we had:

http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2002&e=product&pid=32833

It is relatively inexpensive, IMO.

IMO- the pegperrago high chair was TOTALLY worth it. I bought two- off of Ebay. I cleaned them up, and one was in my mom's kitchen, and one was in mine. These chairs are so sturdy, very comfortable, easy to clean. They are not for a teeny-tiny kitchen.

IMO- the stroller/combo/carseat things are so big and bulky, do not stroll all that well unless you are in a mall (where you will get a lot of stares for taking up all the space), and are really only useful for the first 4-5 months, while your child can still sit in the pumpkin seat. I would opt, if I were doing it all over again, to buy cheap for the first stroller, and then invest my money in one of those compact- easily transportable- expensive strollers. I drive a Honda Civic, and I had to cram that big stroller in the trunk, and it stunk. AND, they are so heavy to lift in and out!!

I would buy as much of the hardware used as I could. I would also, once spring rolls around, shop garage sales for used clothes, toys, etc. To this day, J wears prolly 50% used clothes. I am blessed with a brother that has two boys, and the clothes just keep on rolling downhill. :)

There are some things you will insist on new for (and that is different for everyone), but, the more you buy used, to me, the better. Most of the stuff is used for such a short amount of time, anyhow.

sparks19
01-22-2009, 01:37 PM
I personally loved my Graco stroller/carseat combo. the carseat was quite heavy though so we never used it as a carrier but we did snap it onto the stroller all the time. now she has obviously outgrown the carrier but we still use the graco stroller all the time.

I think we had the same one posted above... just different color.

yeah it's big but our vehicle easily accomodated it. I love the stroller though... it's got lots of storage space on the bottom for her diaper bag and anything we buy if we go shopping, it's comfortable for her and has a little food tray in front and if she gets tired it fully reclines and has enough space that she can sleep comfortably, it folds up in about a half a second... just a simple pushbutton and twist and you're done and I think it steers nicely. I can steer it with one hand no problem.

So it worked for us.

My suggestion?

go to babies r us if you have one around you and play with all the strollers and carseats and test them out. That's how we decided on ours :)

beeniesmom
01-22-2009, 02:44 PM
My suggestion? Go to babies r us if you have one around you and play with all the strollers and carseats and test them out. That's how we decided on ours :)

Yeah, that's a good idea. It's difficult to see stuff on-line and actually get a feel of how big it is or what the material is like. I'll do that in a month or so.

caseysmom
01-22-2009, 02:46 PM
my two were so close together I had to get a double stroller, talk about big!

beeniesmom
02-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Ok, here is another question:
I went to Babies R Us yesterday to look at HIGH CHAIRS.....
They all looked the same to me. The prices varied from 65 to 200 dollars.
What high chairs did you moms get and was it worth the money?
I'd like to get something foldable.
I saw a pretty orange one (99 dollars - chicco) and put it on my registry but have no idea if it's any good. :o

prechrswife
02-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Honestly, I would not recommend our high chair. It is pretty and has held up well, but it isn't too practical. It is a wooden chair, made by a company called Rochelle. If I had to get another one now, I would probably go with either an Eddie Bauer wooden one or a Peg Perego. Our church has inherited one each of those two, and they are really good quality high chairs.

Cataholic
02-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Peg Perego...hands down. I bought two off of ebay, well worth it, shipping and all.

Beenies, you won't need a high chair until the baby is about 5 months, maybe even longer, if you use a swing..so, no rush. Who knows, maybe someone will have one you can use at that time?

finn's mom
02-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Anyone ever used the Bella Band? I plan to get at least one band and the everywear pant (part of the essentials collection). My girlfriend used the band and never bought maternity pants!

www.ingridandisabel.com

JenBKR
02-02-2009, 07:19 AM
All I will say for a high chair is get one with wheels and a removable dishwasher safe tray! One that leans back is a nice feature too.

beeniesmom
02-02-2009, 07:39 AM
Beeniesmom, you won't need a high chair until the baby is about 5 months, maybe even longer, if you use a swing..so, no rush. Who knows, maybe someone will have one you can use at that time?

I know.... I'm just being paranoid, bored and figure I should be at least researching products in the meantime. :o

finn's mom
02-02-2009, 10:10 AM
I know baby won't be able to use this for a couple years, but I love the look of a rocking "horse" in a nursery. :) It's expensive, but beautiful.

I like the stuffed plush rockers, although I like the traditional ones, too. :)

http://www.rhbabyandchild.com/rhbc/catalog/category/category_sub_w_products.jsp?navAction=jump&navCount=0&categoryId=rhbc_cat102127

Pembroke_Corgi
02-02-2009, 10:22 AM
I know.... I'm just being paranoid, bored and figure I should be at least researching products in the meantime. :o

I don't think there's any harm in being prepared early! I had a goal of getting everything ready before Jan 1st (because I worked at a school and had 2 weeks off for winter break). I'm glad I did now because I was just put on bedrest last week (and could potentially be on for the rest of my pregnancy), which means I won't be doing much shopping unless it's online or I send out my husband to do it for me. Up until a few weeks ago, my pregnancy was easy and uncomplicated, so you never know (and baby and I are fine with rest, and should be able to go full term).

I know baby won't be able to use this for a couple years, but I love the look of a rocking "horse" in a nursery. It's expensive, but beautiful.

I like the stuffed plush rockers, although I like the traditional ones, too.

http://www.rhbabyandchild.com/rhbc/c...rhbc_cat102127

Very cool! Actually, even though we knew it was impractical one of the first things my husband and I bought was a stuffed snow leopard rocker for the baby...it was just way too cute and I love snow leopards! :love:

Cataholic
02-02-2009, 12:02 PM
I truly did not mean to come across as a wet blanket with purchases made earlier than needed! I was just mentioning that you have (usually) some time to get these items, and sometimes the arrival of the baby changes your mind about certain things, and maybe someone would gift it to you.

I know how exciting and fun it is to buy for the new baby. I am still buying and he is 4!

Sorry if I was acting like a know it all. I didn't mean it like that. :(

sparks19
02-02-2009, 01:10 PM
our highchair is actually and old wooden one that is about 30 years old. it doesn't fold up or anything but I always have it pulled up to the table like a chair anyway and I never need to fold it up and put it away so this one works for us. That being said... hannah didn't start using that highchair until she was about 7 months old or so... before that she sat in her bumbo seat to be fed.

beeniesmom
02-02-2009, 01:36 PM
I truly did not mean to come across as a wet blanket with purchases made earlier than needed! I was just mentioning that you have (usually) some time to get these items, and sometimes the arrival of the baby changes your mind about certain things, and maybe someone would gift it to you.

I know how exciting and fun it is to buy for the new baby. I am still buying and he is 4!

OH NO absolutely not. I appreciate the feedback and know Kari feels the same way. :) And you are right.... I've already changed my mind on a bunch of stuff already!!!

BitsyNaceyDog
02-02-2009, 04:02 PM
I never used a "real" highchair. I got a hand-me-down one from a friend and hated how large it was, I never used it. We bought a Fisher Price healthy care booster seat (http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Healthy-Care-Booster-Seat/dp/B0000DEW8N/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1233610605&sr=1-1) and used that even before Nathan was eating solid foods. He would sit in it and play with toys. I really love it. It's all plastic and so easy to clean. It's not big at all, but big enough that he still fits in it nicely at almost 2 years old. It's affordable, we paid $25 for it, new. It's easy to pack up and take with you, we take it whenever we're going to eat at someone else's house. I seriously love it.

finn's mom
02-02-2009, 07:34 PM

Carmen was right to speak for me on this matter, I feel the same way. I didn't take your advice as anything other than advice. I didn't think you meant it in a know-it-all way.

I take all the advice I get basically with a grain of salt. It's all going to ultimately come down to what works for David and I, but I am getting so many great perspectives from so many different people and really appreciate it!

JenBKR
02-02-2009, 07:42 PM
It's all going to ultimately come down to what works for David and I, but I am getting so many great perspectives from so many different people and really appreciate it!

This is SO important - I can't stress that enough. Advice is great, but your mother's instinct will kick in and you will know what's right for you and your baby. :)

tikeyas_mom
02-04-2009, 01:14 AM
Some of my favorite products and Baby bee products, made from real bees wax, and I also love aveeno baby stuff.. I love the smell of the creams and shampoos/bodywash's... I would put like a diaper gene on the list, as well as little things like baby tub, towels, cloths, BPA free bottles, blankets, nursing pillow, baby book, crib set and bumper set, room decor (like wall decor, think of a theme you want).. There is so much!!!

I would have more fun filling out a baby registery then a wedding one haha..

beeniesmom
02-04-2009, 06:13 AM
I would have more fun filling out a baby registery then a wedding one haha..

I agree. I never had a wedding registry....(big mistake). I ended up getting about 10 picture frames from well wishers. Nothing wrong with that. They are beautiful and appreciated and on display in my home but I could have used other stuff. :P

finn's mom
02-11-2009, 07:18 PM
What do you folks think of this set? We won't be ordering it from this site, but we really like the crib (it is a 4-in-1). The set includes the crib and the changing table, which has two shelves behind the doors. We have plenty of closet space, so I don't think I'm going to get a dresser at this point.

http://www.cymaxbaby.com/Common/NoBot/DaVinci-Parker-4-in-1-Convertible-Wood-Crib-Set-in-Natural-K5101N-CribSet-PKG.htm

finn's mom
02-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Here's what we like for the bed set...I was not considering Dr. Seuss really at first, but this set really caught my heart. :love:

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/nb260/index.cfm?pkey=cunisex-nursery-bedding|b

finn's mom
02-11-2009, 08:46 PM
So, check this gal's site out...I think we're going to have her come out and check out the room here in the next couple months.

www.bananaink.com

It's not too expensive for her to come out and draw up a digital sketch, so I think that's what we're going to do. :D

finn's mom
02-11-2009, 09:00 PM
https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2535306&fromRegistryNumber=44718833&product_skn=94938#showReviews

I really like this car seat and I've heard nothing but great reviews. I love that it's Made in the USA, too. It's expensive, but it holds up to 65 pounds. My mother has already purchased a travel system, but we need an extra car seat for a second car. Not to mention the one my mom chose only goes up to 25 pounds, I think.

Anyone else use this type?

beeniesmom
02-12-2009, 06:13 AM
What do you folks think of this set? We won't be ordering it from this site, but we really like the crib (it is a 4-in-1). The set includes the crib and the changing table, which has two shelves behind the doors. We have plenty of closet space, so I don't think I'm going to get a dresser at this point.

http://www.cymaxbaby.com/Common/NoBot/DaVinci-Parker-4-in-1-Convertible-Wood-Crib-Set-in-Natural-K5101N-CribSet-PKG.htm

I love the crib. It's gorgeous. I wish I could afford something like that.
The Britax car seat looks like a winner too.
I've been racking my brain on what kind of crib, bedding and car seat too.
I'll choose the bedding when I know what it will be. I can't wait for Feb. 20th. :) How are you feeling? I'm still doing well. The only thing is that I've been living with a semi permanent back ache already. I can't seem to find a good position to sleep in.

finn's mom
02-12-2009, 09:08 AM
I love the crib. It's gorgeous. I wish I could afford something like that.
The Britax car seat looks like a winner too.
I've been racking my brain on what kind of crib, bedding and car seat too.
I'll choose the bedding when I know what it will be. I can't wait for Feb. 20th. :) How are you feeling? I'm still doing well. The only thing is that I've been living with a semi permanent back ache already. I can't seem to find a good position to sleep in.

The crib alone is under $300 and goes all the way into a full size bed, so that makes it worth it. The link is to the set, which has the changing table, too. Believe me, there are only a couple things I'm willing to put some money into. ;) Most everything else, I'm looking for the least expensive route.

I've been feeling great, everything feels like it did before I got pregnant, really. I think the only reason I don't have back aches is because I started using an exercise ball to sit at the computer instead of a chair. That sucks that you are already having trouble finding sleeping positions. I thought that was supposed to start happening when your belly got too big! You are a week ahead of me, though. Maybe that's what I have to look forward to, eh? ;)

prechrswife
02-12-2009, 09:09 AM
Love what you have picked out for your little one, Kari. As for your question on the car seat, both of our girls are in Britax marathons, and we love them. Our girls are both little, so they will probably stay in those same seats until it is time to move them up to boosters. Mary Joyce used the marathon from the beginning (when she came home at 9 months), starting out rear facing, and then turning it around at 1 year/20 pounds. We moved Katherine up when she got too heavy for carrying her around in the travel system seat and also when she was able to sit up on her own. (That way, she was able to sit up in high chairs in restaurants or shopping carts in stores, and we didn't really need to carry her in her car seat anyway.) She is now forward-facing, too. The seats are well-padded, and seem comfortable, and we really like the safety ratings. We are planning on a third one eventually for baby Malcom. One thing is, they are very wide seats. When we found out we were expecting again, we went on and upgraded our vehicle to a mini-van because there was no way to fit 3 car seats in the back seat of our Grand Prix. That said, 2 of them fit in the Grand Prix just fine.

finn's mom
02-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Love what you have picked out for your little one, Kari. As for your question on the car seat, both of our girls are in Britax marathons, and we love them. Our girls are both little, so they will probably stay in those same seats until it is time to move them up to boosters. Mary Joyce used the marathon from the beginning (when she came home at 9 months), starting out rear facing, and then turning it around at 1 year/20 pounds. We moved Katherine up when she got too heavy for carrying her around in the travel system seat and also when she was able to sit up on her own. (That way, she was able to sit up in high chairs in restaurants or shopping carts in stores, and we didn't really need to carry her in her car seat anyway.) She is now forward-facing, too. The seats are well-padded, and seem comfortable, and we really like the safety ratings. We are planning on a third one eventually for baby Malcom. One thing is, they are very wide seats. When we found out we were expecting again, we went on and upgraded our vehicle to a mini-van because there was no way to fit 3 car seats in the back seat of our Grand Prix. That said, 2 of them fit in the Grand Prix just fine.

Great review, thank you! Seriously, I've not heard anyone say anything bad about the seat! That's important to me. My mother got us one already that is part of a travel system and we will use it as well. But it only goes up to about 25 pounds or something. We have a Honda Civic as our main vehicle, so we'd definitely have to upgrade if and when we added more members to our human family. ;) But, for now, it'll be fine for the three of us.

I have a question about strollers, now. I want to find a stroller that you can reverse the handle and have the baby face you. The only ones I have found online are really pricey. I'm putting one of them on our registry, but would like to find a less expensive one. Any suggestions?

Cataholic
02-12-2009, 11:47 AM
I will echo the comment that the Britax Marathon is BIG! I have a Honda Civic, and J's seat is in the centerr. Only super thin people can sit comfortably on either side of him. :) And, with the size of the civic, J is now big enough to sit his feet on the driver's seat and passenger's seat, right next to the head rest. I sometimes turn around to say something to him and stare at an bottom of a shoe!

finn's mom
02-12-2009, 04:03 PM
I will echo the comment that the Britax Marathon is BIG! I have a Honda Civic, and J's seat is in the centerr. Only super thin people can sit comfortably on either side of him. :) And, with the size of the civic, J is now big enough to sit his feet on the driver's seat and passenger's seat, right next to the head rest. I sometimes turn around to say something to him and stare at an bottom of a shoe!

Well, I'm pretty small, so it shouldn't be a problem. ;) It did seem big, I saw it at the store. I'm sure we will be getting another vehicle at some point, but for now, the Civic is it. If it's too bulky, David will not wait long before he gets another vehicle.

BitsyNaceyDog
02-12-2009, 06:02 PM

Haha. We too have a Britax (I think Marathon) and it is big, but so worth it (in my opinion). We kept Nathan rear facing until he was 20 months, we turned him because he was kicking so bad and decided he may be happier forward facing. He does enjoy the new view, but now he kicks the back of my seat! I can't believe he can reach my seat in the minivan!

prechrswife
02-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Haha. We too have a Britax (I think Marathon) and it is big, but so worth it (in my opinion). We kept Nathan rear facing until he was 20 months, we turned him because he was kicking so bad and decided he may be happier forward facing. He does enjoy the new view, but now he kicks the back of my seat! I can't believe he can reach my seat in the minivan!

We moved the captain's chair in our mini-van with Mary Joyce's seat in it as far back as it would go because she also kicks the back of the driver's seat. We kind of had the same reaction as you did, and she isn't even very tall.

sparks19
02-12-2009, 10:22 PM
We got the evenflo triumph convertable carseat.

We love it.

finn's mom
02-12-2009, 10:27 PM
We got the evenflo triumph convertable carseat.

We love it.

What are the qualities you like about it?

sparks19
02-13-2009, 07:18 AM
What are the qualities you like about it?

well maybe it's just the kind of car we have but it fits nicely in the back seat... it IS large but I find that she still has lots of leg room without being able to kick the seats (yet) and I also find that it's taller than many that we looked at so allows more room for height growth which is good for Hannah as she is very long in the upper body.

I love the way the harness works. Easy to adjust the height at the shoulder (which again is GREAT for hannah since she is so long in the upper body) and get her belted in and it's a cinch to tighten and loosen while still being very secure. You just strap them in and turn the knobs until it's tight enough. It tightens from the bottom around the thighs rather than pulling it up around the neck.

I like how when front facing it doesn't make her lean forward (does that make sense?). Some car seats we looked at even when reclined are really straight up and down but this one seems to lean back a little bit

Also it's easy to get the covering off and on so it can be cleaned.

Super easy to install in the car (although sometimes tightening the belt can be a sweat inducing experience the first time lol)

Good safety ratings. and protects against side impact accidents.

and it was affordable.

I've also gone by a little word of mouth on this carseat. I know a few people who use this one and they love it.

Oh and BTW... I meant to say it's called the evenflo triumph advanced

prechrswife
02-13-2009, 07:55 AM
I will say this, as far as the seat kicking thing goes, Mary Joyce is 3 years old. Katherine (18 months) can't reach it (seat) at all. Also, the Britax covers clean up well in the washer and dryer.

finn's mom
02-13-2009, 08:11 AM
Any suggestions on strollers? If anyone knows of a site for strollers where you can plug in the features you want? Kinda like they do on auto sites. I'd like to find a stroller where I can reverse the handle so the baby can face me. I have found a few, but they are all really expensive. The one I really want is under 20 pounds, but over $300! :eek:

prechrswife
02-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Any suggestions on strollers? If anyone knows of a site for strollers where you can plug in the features you want? Kinda like they do on auto sites. I'd like to find a stroller where I can reverse the handle so the baby can face me. I have found a few, but they are all really expensive. The one I really want is under 20 pounds, but over $300! :eek:

I've never seen one of the reversible handle kind that isn't expensive. You might try consignment stores, though. Sometimes you can find items in great condition at a much more affordable price. We would really like to have a jogging stroller because the wheels will roll better on the beach or at the playground than any of the ones we have, but we can't quite justify the expense of a 4th stroller unless we find one at a good price on consignment. (Just adding--we have a single stroller, a double stroller, and an umbrella stroller already.)

finn's mom
02-13-2009, 03:05 PM
I've never seen one of the reversible handle kind that isn't expensive. You might try consignment stores, though. Sometimes you can find items in great condition at a much more affordable price. We would really like to have a jogging stroller because the wheels will roll better on the beach or at the playground than any of the ones we have, but we can't quite justify the expense of a 4th stroller unless we find one at a good price on consignment. (Just adding--we have a single stroller, a double stroller, and an umbrella stroller already.)

Yeah, I've been thinking of checking out craigslist. I like those jogging strollers a lot, too, but don't know how much use we'd get out of them right now. Maybe one day. :) I put the expensive stroller on our registry anyway, just to see if we get any bites. ;)

Husky_mom
02-13-2009, 03:42 PM
I had a stroller.. can´t remember brand... where you place the "carrier" and latch it to it.. baby facing to you...and when detatched it could be used as a car seat....

let me try find a pic...*goes looking*

something like this... in the stroller baby faces forward... but when car seat on baby faces you... (not same brand I had but similar shape)

http://babyrentals.net/Car_Seat_Stroller_Combo_2_crop_opt.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kellyangelo/714874315/

finn's mom
02-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Very cool! I think that's basically the same type of "travel system" my mother got us. I posted a link earlier on this thread. I'll have to have another look at it. Here's the one we like, but not crazy about the price. ;) It is for birth to four years, though, which is really nice.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3037730

finn's mom
02-13-2009, 03:57 PM
What do you ladies think of this one? It looks and sounds good to me. I just wrote to see if they still have it available. It may be the way we go if they do. That's quite a deal!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bab/1026707578.html

finn's mom
02-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Well, the stroller I listed earlier is sold, but here's another one...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bab/1033289825.html

Looks good to me, but David may check it out this weekend. :)

prechrswife
02-13-2009, 10:10 PM
Looks like that may be worth checking out. I'm not familiar with that model of stroller, but Peg Perego is a quality brand.

sabies
02-14-2009, 04:47 AM
I was very lucky to have my best friend have her last baby exactly 1 year before me. She had a girl as well, so I did not buy hardly any clothes and I even took her carseat (used from a trusted source) though for baby #2 we are looking to maybe get a smaller, lighter one. My biggest recommendation is take what you can get used because a lot of stuff is used for a short time if it works for you at all. I barely used my playpen or "tall" swing but I bought a very reclined short swing more for baby babies and that was a life saver - for 2 months.

We bought a Britax Boulevard, with side impact, when Sam was a year old and I recommend waiting on the bigger car seats (not the carry kind of the first year) because in 1 year they can make advances in design. Britax did not have side impact when Sam was born.

I agree with waiting on a lot of stuff because you can't really predict what your needs will be. Baby proofing is quite a ways off but if you have room to store stuff and organizational skills to remember what you got then it's good for a shower.

I breastfed and didn't need 1 can of formula. Despite that I received several different brands free and had at least 4 cans to give away. I think the companies got my name somehow and they sent free samples. I used an Ameda Purely Yours pump and evenflo glass bottles. Daycare did not have a problem with the glass bottles. At 6 months Sam was taking her daycare milk from a Born Free starter cup and she never had a fake nipple again. The glass bottles were still used to bring breastmilk to daycare so they could be warmed in glass and transferred to plastic.

Good Luck!! I'm sure you'll have everything you need and more!

BitsyNaceyDog
02-14-2009, 07:36 AM
Very cool! I think that's basically the same type of "travel system" my mother got us. I posted a link earlier on this thread. I'll have to have another look at it. Here's the one we like, but not crazy about the price. ;) It is for birth to four years, though, which is really nice.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3037730

The one your mom got will probably work until s/he's 4 too (if you're still even using a stroller at that point). You're baby probably won't want to sit facing you too long. We only used our stroller once before Nathan was probably 6 months old. We used a carrier until that point. By 6 months he was well ready to be facing out, he loved looking at everything. You may not ever need/want a second stroller. Just something to think about.

finn's mom
02-14-2009, 10:59 PM
The one your mom got will probably work until s/he's 4 too (if you're still even using a stroller at that point). You're baby probably won't want to sit facing you too long. We only used our stroller once before Nathan was probably 6 months old. We used a carrier until that point. By 6 months he was well ready to be facing out, he loved looking at everything. You may not ever need/want a second stroller. Just something to think about.

Agreed on that. I think the one my mom got is only up to 20 something pounds, but that might just be the car seat part. I haven't purchased anything, though, just brainstorming. :) I love all the feedback in here!

BitsyNaceyDog
02-15-2009, 07:36 AM
Agreed on that. I think the one my mom got is only up to 20 something pounds, but that might just be the car seat part. I haven't purchased anything, though, just brainstorming. :) I love all the feedback in here!
Yea, that would most likely be the carseat weight limit. Infant seats usually go up to 20-25 pounds.

Cataholic
02-15-2009, 07:40 AM
I breastfed and didn't need 1 can of formula. Despite that I received several different brands free and had at least 4 cans to give away. I think the companies got my name somehow and they sent free samples.

Me, too! Keep in mind that many shelters/food banks can use the free formula you receive! I didn't donate mine, as at the time it didn't occur to me. :(

Lobodeb
02-18-2009, 10:46 PM
I can't say how happy I am for the two of you and your new babies.

I couldn't resist imposing my 2 cents on you guys. I would have to echo everyone else's comments on the Britax carseat. Hugito has either the Marathon or the Decathalon (I honestly don't remember) but we've been very happy with it. The seat launders well and he seems to be comfortable in it. Be sure and have it inspected to make sure it's installed correctly. Your local police department should be able to help you with that.

As far as diaper rash things go, I used a few things. I used desatin and A & E ointments at first and had pretty good success with them, but as Hugito got older and the rashes became more severe, I had to use Triple Paste. That stuff works wonders. It's very expensive, but worth it, IMO. For his excema, I started using Aquafor at first, but found that vasalene worked just as well for a fraction of the cost. I did buy Dreft laundry detergent for him because of his sensitive skin.

I rented a Medula pump from a hospital close by. I couldn't afford the ones they sold and I really liked the one they let me use at the hospital, so that worked best for me. When I was discharged, the hospital gave me all the hoses, nozzels, bottles, etc., for it, so I didn't have to purchase anything in that regard.

I had a hard time with high chairs. The first one I bought was a booster, but I didn't like it because it dominated a chair in my dining room. I then bought a different high chair that he's still using to this day, but I hate that it doesn't fold flat. It's pretty huge. Babies R Us had one that folded down to 3 or 4 inches if I recall correctly but it was on the pricey side. So, take your space into consideration when buying one.

As far as strollers go, I registered for a Graco. I love their stuff. But, someone decided that I didn't want a Graco and bought me what THEY wanted which was a Cosco travel system. I HATED it! The carrier was fine, but the stroller was crap. The safety reviews on them were terrible, customer service was even worse. I went out and bought me my own Graco stroller that is what Johanna (Cataholic) referred to as a Hummer. This thing is huge. It has a 50 lb. weight max. But, hey, I had a near 10 lb. baby, so I figured I needed something big. I love the stroller and had no problems with getting it in or out of my car, but then again, I have an SUV.

Be sure to have Tylenol, Motrin and Benadryl on hand. I didn't have these when I first brought him home and learned the hard way that it was foolish of me not to. You never know when these little guys can spike a fever on you and you want to be able to treat it quickly.

I also agree with not buying a lot of clothes. I didn't know the sex of my baby before he was born, so I didn't buy ANY clothes. I had tons of onesies and jammies, but no clothes. I had 5 showers. But, what ended up happening was after he was born, people would bring boy clothes when they came to meet him, so I was still good. There were still outfits he never wore because he grew out of them before I could get them on him. Shoes were a waste of time and money before he could walk. But boy, did he look cute! :o

These sheets have been a life saver for me. He still uses them to this day. I hated changing his crib sheets. Taking off the bumper, all his crib toys, etc. What a pain. These sheets are da bomb!!!! http://www.cloudsandstars.com/ginghamstarterset.aspx

Hugito used Avent bottles and we had great success with them. I had a Boppy but didn't care for or use it much. His swing was a Godsend. He slept his first 7 hours in his swing. He loved it! He also had a bouncer and used it quite often.

I used Pampers Swaddlers when he fit into them, but switched to Huggies from size 2 on up. I agree with Sparks that it's much more cost effective to get them from Sam's or Costco. I used Costco's wipies (unscented and dye free) and had no problems with them. I also had a wipey warmer and got great use out of it.

Kari, I saw you mentioned something about jogging strollers? I read that those tend to tip over, so just be careful if that's the route you choose to go.

That's all I can think of for now.

Good luck to you both!

beeniesmom
02-19-2009, 06:10 AM
Hi Debbie! Thanks for all the great info. I will definately look at the Britax brand car seat. I just have to see a light color because it gets so hot in FL. Darker materials keep the heat in them. Will I need a travel system too if I get a Britax. I read that the travel system buckets are good only for a few months (when the baby is small). They tend to outgrow them. Man I wish I could win a lottery. The products I really want are pricey.

Also, and this question is for everyone:
Where in the heck do you buy a crib?
I don't want a Babies R us crib. I went to look at cribs twice and most are flimsey and they want big money for them. The only one that seemed sturdy enough was 400 dollars. I've been to many furniture store and nooone carries cribs. I don't really want to buy on-line because you can't get the feel of an item without seeing it first. Is there another store that sells them and that has a few assembled to see and touch?

Cataholic
02-19-2009, 10:07 AM
I bought a crib from Kmart and was completely 100% comfortable with it. It was a light wood colour, VERY plain, nearly had a mission style look to it. I think I paid less than $200 for it. And, it was one of those 10 in 1 (LOL, okay, I think it is called a 3 in 1). BUT, I never used it as anything other than a crib. I gave it away when J went from a crib to a big boy bed. I skipped the youth/toddler bed stage. I think those things are kind of junky looking, and fit such a small timeframe in the child's life.

I have found that the 3-in-1s, once converted, are really cheap looking, you often still have to buy a frame for it, and aren't worth the money. This is merely my own opinion.

J still sleeps on a mattress and box spring, as I went with a higher end of each, and they are nearly 26" off the floor! Perhaps this summer I will investigate a bed frame that has drawers under the bed (always need extra storage). He will possibly need a small ladder to get into the bed, LOL.

prechrswife
02-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Also, and this question is for everyone:
Where in the heck do you buy a crib?
I don't want a Babies R us crib. I went to look at cribs twice and most are flimsey and they want big money for them. The only one that seemed sturdy enough was 400 dollars. I've been to many furniture store and nooone carries cribs. I don't really want to buy on-line because you can't get the feel of an item without seeing it first. Is there another store that sells them and that has a few assembled to see and touch?

We bought our oldest daughter's crib (which our younger daughter moved into this weekend) at a baby specialty store when we lived in Georgia. If you can find a local store along those lines, you can find something higher quality, but you will also pay for it. We went with one of the less expensive models in that particular store. Daughter #2 was rather unexpected, and we just didn't have the money saved up for furniture like we did the first time. We ended up purchasing a second-hand (still okay safety-wise and in good condition) from friends whose boys were beyond the crib stage. It may sound strange, but I've seen some nice looking cribs at Target lately. I'm with you on the buying online thing. If it is a big item, I want to be able to see it in person.

Also, I can't remember how close we live to the same area, but there is a Baby Depot (Burlington Coat Factory) in Daytona. I haven't been in there, but they may have some other options.

sparks19
02-19-2009, 12:59 PM
We actually got our crib at Walmart... it came in a set with the crib, changing table and dresser all in one box and it was only $200 I think. The brand is simplicity. and we have been very satisfied with all of the pieces.

Husky_mom
02-19-2009, 02:08 PM
I must say Debbie.. that is one amazing sheet set... I wish I have had that ..... it sure is a pain to change the sheets on a crib...

this was the one I had only in paler wood...
http://www.thespecialtyrentals.com/images/jenny_lind_golden_honey_crib_our_version.jpg

sparks19
02-19-2009, 03:00 PM
get a crib where the side can be taken off...

That way when it comes time to change the crib sheets you just pull the matress out and change the sheets and slide it back in and put the side back on :)

prechrswife
02-19-2009, 06:37 PM

That way when it comes time to change the crib sheets you just pull the matress out and change the sheets and slide it back in and put the side back on :)

Funny thing is, our first crib is a convertible, so it doesn't have a movable side. One side is just lower than the other. Our second crib is a regular (non-convertible) crib, and it does have the movable side, but because I was so used to not having it, I never think to let the side down. That's just me, though. However, the wheels on the non-convertible crib are VERY convenient. It is so nice to be able to move the crib around when you are changing sheets (or when the baby keeps losing his/her pacifier between the crib and the wall...).

finn's mom
02-19-2009, 06:42 PM
This is one sheet that I was looking...it's more of a crib pad, though but it's still what I'm looking into getting...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4252624#Item+Description

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3188798

beeniesmom
02-19-2009, 07:17 PM
We bought our oldest daughter's crib (which our younger daughter moved into this weekend) at a baby specialty store when we lived in Georgia.

Where in Georgia?

Also, I can't remember how close we live to the same area, but there is a Baby Depot (Burlington Coat Factory) in Daytona. I haven't been in there, but they may have some other options.

I'm about an hour and a half from Daytona.

prechrswife
02-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Where in Georgia?

I'm about an hour and a half from Daytona.

We lived in SW Georgia in a tiny little town. The store was actually in Albany, GA, which was the closest town of any size. It was nice to have a store like that in the area, since we didn't have anything else there for baby supplies outside of the usual Target and Wal-Mart.

Okay, we are about 30 minutes from Daytona, so that's where we go if we need anything outside of Target, Wal-Mart, or a grocery store. Baby Depot is a chain, so there may be one closer to you. We actually haven't been in the one in Daytona. We did go in the brand new Babies R Us in JAX a couple of weeks ago--very nice, and HUGE!

beeniesmom
02-19-2009, 07:26 PM
We did go in the brand new Babies R Us in JAX a couple of weeks ago--very nice, and HUGE!

I haven't been to that one yet but I've heard it's really big.

Thanks for the info everyone. I need to go looking around.

cassiesmom
02-19-2009, 08:40 PM
I went to a baby shower for the first time in a verrrry long time (my youngest nieces are 17 and most of my friends are done having their babies). Things have changed so much! The couple got a pretty nifty car seat / stroller / baby carrier thingie. There is a piece that fits just in the car (for car seat), then you set the handled baby carrier into that and buckle it or you can take it out and carry the baby in just that. Or you can set the carrier in the stroller frame and away you go. WOW!

I went in with a bunch of friends to give them another car seat - but a one-piece system that stays in the car, not that whole stroller-baby carrier-car seat system - so they would have one for each car. That way they wouldn't be moving the car seat around or constantly switching cars. We had money left over so we bought them a box of new-born diapers, just in case the baby arrives early. She also got Burt's Bees and Bath and Body Works baby lotions and potions.

I have a former co-worker whose granddaughter was allergic to something in baby formula, so she had a constant napkin rash. They swore by Boudreaux Butt Paste when it was at its worst. And another former co-worker went to garage sales and flea markets looking for a used Peg Pérego stroller, so as to have a separate stroller at grandma's house - and she found one. When my nieces were little my mom and dad bought a baby monitor to keep at their house.

Lobodeb
02-19-2009, 10:42 PM
I just have to see a light color because it gets so hot in FL. Darker materials keep the heat in them. Will I need a travel system too if I get a Britax. I read that the travel system buckets are good only for a few months (when the baby is small). They tend to outgrow them.

I bought a carset cover from Babies R Us (the ones that look like aluminum foil) because it can get pretty hot here too. It was relatively inexpensive. And Britax' seats have lots of cool patterns so you have a lot to choose from.

You don't necessarily have to get a travel system with a Britax seat because I think they range from 5lbs on up. They come with lots of cushions for the babies as they grow up and you can position it forward or rear facing. I would recommend a carrier, however because it's much easier to click in the carrier with a sleeping baby (don't wake them unless you absolutely have to) than it is to take the baby out of the stroller and strap into the carseat. Just my 2 cents (again :o).

As for the crib, I bought mine from Wal-Mart. It was one of those 5 in 1 cribs like the one Sparks19 described. It came with a changing table that we never used because I wasn't smart enough to make sure I had enough space before I bought the darned thing. I will again co-sign what Johanna said about it looking funny now that it's a toddler bed. I am looking into buying a big boy bed for Hugito now because I don't like the way it looks.

That way when it comes time to change the crib sheets you just pull the matress out and change the sheets and slide it back in and put the side back on

You're still taking apart the entire crib just to change the friggen sheets. The sheets that zip avoid all that. Again, just what works for me.

sabies
02-20-2009, 05:46 AM
I like the idea of a crib where the side comes off (sparks19's suggestion) because I have trouble changing the sheets and now at 7 months pregnant it is just not possible for me even with the side down. Ok, maybe it's possible but it puts me in a very bad mood.

What are the zippered sheets? How do they make it easier?

As for the travel system I agree with lobodeb - keep that baby asleep and in the bucket if possible! A lot of babies fall asleep in the car but what good does it do you if you have to remove them from the seat after the ride? You don't need an expensive travel system just a light one. My baby was in her bucket the whole first year. At 9 months she slept on a plane in her bucket. At some point she was too heavy for me to carry in the bucket but that was what hubby was for. I think the travel system is good for more than a few months and those months are your most sleep deprived anyway so well worth it. Not a bad expense if you are going to move on to baby #2 and the stroller still works as a stroller for an older child so you get good use of it.

Cataholic
02-20-2009, 06:28 AM
I can't tell you how many nails I broke changing crib sheets! I don't mean that from a "must be manicured" stance, but, it is sooo painful to rip the nail off to the nub of your finger! The zippered crib sheets that Debby is talking about are a HUGE blessing.

And, I think I got my crib from Walmart..not Kmart! LOL, I was thinking, "when have I ever gone to Kmart???"

beeniesmom
02-20-2009, 06:49 AM
Can anyone who got a set at Walmart post a link of it, if you remember what kind it was?
Thank you. :)

Lobodeb
02-20-2009, 03:58 PM
What are the zippered sheets? How do they make it easier?

They make it easier because you don't have to lift the mattress to change the sheets. You can just unzip, change the pad and rezip. You don't have to remove the bumper either. The bottom part of the sheet set rarely needs to come off because baby doesn't sleep on that part. It fits the mattress like a cupcake wrapper would fit a cupcake, around the bottom, then the zippered sheets zip all the way around the top close to the edge, so the zipper is a) covered and b) out of the way so baby won't sleep on it.

Hugito also slept in his carrier for the first few weeks he was home. That was the only way he slept in the beginning.

Can anyone who got a set at Walmart post a link of it, if you remember what kind it was?
Thank you.

This crib is similar to Hugito's. This one is nicer tho.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8087174

sparks19
02-20-2009, 04:17 PM
You're still taking apart the entire crib just to change the friggen sheets. The sheets that zip avoid all that. Again, just what works for me.

not on mine. You just press in a little button and the side pulls off and then you just slide it back on. easy peasy :)

beeniesmom
02-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the link!

finn's mom
02-25-2009, 07:58 AM
Anyone ever tried "kushies" cloth diapers? There's a little store nearby that carries them. They're really cute and a little less expensive than the Bumgenius. :)

Pembroke_Corgi
03-22-2009, 12:02 PM
I was wondering what kind of lightweight strollers anyone had good luck with or heard good things about. I have a travel system (car seat that snaps into a stroller) because I got one as a gift, but the stroller is so heavy and bulky that it really is a pain. It is fine for walks around the neighborhood, but taking it out is really inconvenient- it takes up the whole trunk of my car! I'd like a decent lightweight stroller. I was thinking about this one: Chicco Liteway (http://www.target.com/Chicco-Liteway-Stroller-Coventry-Blue/dp/B001OD53QI/ref=sc_ri_1?ie=UTF8&pf_rd_r=103YD2AGX5N301TZ548J&pf_rd_p=471801991&pf_rd_i=B001ODAHF0&pf_rd_s=bottom-11&pf_rd_m=A1VC38T7YXB528&pf_rd_t=201). I like that it's small and light, and that it can even be used for newborns, so I could use it right away. I've heard good things about MacClarens strollers but they are a lot more expensive. I'm open to other suggestions too! :)

beeniesmom
03-22-2009, 01:34 PM
The Chicco strollers are wonderful.
I've been 'testdriving' all thier strollers and that is a good one.
Very easy to manuver and light.

beeniesmom
04-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Ok! I got the crib and dresser changer.
Now I need to purchase a mattress.
What is a good baby mattress? Firm, soft, coil count, brand.

BitsyNaceyDog
04-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Ok! I got the crib and dresser changer.
Now I need to purchase a mattress.
What is a good baby mattress? Firm, soft, coil count, brand.

Definitely firm. I can't remember what else makes one 'good'. I think the more coils the better, I'm not positive though (that's just what seems to stick out in my head).

Also make sure the mattress fits snug in your crib. You don't want any spaces or gaps between the mattress and the side of the crib.

Husky_mom
04-15-2009, 08:12 PM
I bought mine at babies r us.... it was advertised from newborns to up to 3yrs... it was the second or third chepest... and we tought that by 3 he would probably already have aq big boy bed which could last till college... ;):p

firm is the best... I hate soft matresses that you sink in... oh and get a matress cover..(liquid repellent ;))

Pembroke_Corgi
05-12-2009, 07:45 PM
I thought I would share a few items I found that I really love! One of them is the pacimal (http://www.pacimals.com/) or the wubbanub (http://www.wubbanub.com/). They are basically pacifier holders that are small, weighted stuffed animals. It really helps keep the pacifier in the right spot so it doesn't fall out every 2 seconds, and Lyra really likes to hold and touch hers. The wubbanub is really cute, but you can't take the pacifier out, which makes it hard to clean. I just ordered a pacimal which can switch out the pacifiers, so I like that. Both of these use the "soothie" pacifier which is what they use in most hospitals.

The other item I saw on the today show, it's called a Tummy Tub (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/30499759/?GT1=43001). Or you can get the "European Spa Baby (http://www.amazon.com/Spa-Baby-European-Style-Tub/dp/B001AJ69CS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1242175428&sr=8-1)" bathtub on amazon (if the others are sold out- this is the one I bought)- they are the same thing. Lyra hated baths until I got one of these! She actually cracked a smile while in this. :)